It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
morolf: Ok, it's probably not surprising, Gog is hardly alone with such behaviour. But then they can keep their "We're different, we've got principles" to themselves, because it's laughable.
That happens when you go public. Shareholders have no need for principles.

Also I think you would argue differently if you were the guy who got told "we lost the Chinese market because of your decision, well done, pack your stuff".
high rated
XYCat: Delete your account, otherwise you're not boycotting enough.
samuraigaiden: This. The best way to boycott GOG is to stop coming here. Every time you click on anything in this website you people help make it more relevant on search engines.

If you hate GOG so much, quit GOG. Go do something else.
It's kind of funny and sad together to see how many stupid discussions and threads were posted here on the forum without any problems, but these discussions that are clearly about GOG and are important for many customers (especially many folks from the beginning) should go. If the forum would be flooded by dozens threads a day I would understand if someone would become annoyed, but if someone can't stand maybe few different threads with so many open questions (not only about the Devotion story) is kind of irritating. People are waiting for GOG to give answers, so at least a few reminders in the forum should be okay, also for all those who sadly don't care about the topic.

samuraigaiden: I'll say one thing. If a random user starts using my forums or my social media posts comment section to call for a boycott of my company or my products, I would ban that user in a hear beat. Clearly GOG is a lot more tolerant.
Do you really believe that for GOG the forum is in any way relevant anymore? They really showed that social media is important to them. Today the forum is, just like the values they started with, a burden from the past. And exactly for that reason the boycott here will unfortunately not bring so much, as the forum has not the media range to gather enough attention, especially for top management. After the PR stunt in 2010 the top management wrote and discussed on the forum, today you see only mods deleting postings and closing threads. The communication is gone. Most what you read from from GOG today is the typical PR talk without any essence, like "from gamers for gamers", but nothing else.

About the topic: With the Devotion story the rest of my before already decreasing goodwill and trust was completely gone. I'm not naive to believe that a company can hold all their values they started with, I have no problems with adjustments and changes, but the way GOG especially in the last years completely changed away from what they started is scary and disappointing. As result I would not say I boycott GOG, as that would mean a behavior on purpose, for me it's more a natural process of stop buying here due the continuous disappointments. The Devotion story, as awful as it is alone, was just the last straw that broke the camel's back for me. Of course I will not delete my account, why should I cut off myself from updates, something GOG got also my money for? I'm also not saying I will never buy here again or I will leave forever, but at the moment it's on GOGs site to decide what kind of company they want to be and start to communicate in a honorable way again. Maybe then someday I can respect and trust them again, but as it seems as they're trying to riding it out they just confirm the negative impression I got of them. With trust is also enjoyment to shop here gone, so fro now I will take advantage of my backlog or find other ways to entertain myself.
high rated
toxicTom: Also I think you would argue differently if you were the guy who got told "we lost the Chinese market because of your decision, well done, pack your stuff".
Well, if the Chinese market is only accessible by pandering to the narcissism of the unelected leader of a one-party dictatorship, maybe it shouldn't be worth pursuing.
I'm not even a "China hawk", I don't think China is the worst country in the world or that a new Cold war with them is a good idea. But neither do I think that the CCP should be able to dictate globally which games one is able to buy. And Gog actually pretending their stance is pro-consumer is just too much to take.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by morolf
XYCat: Delete your account, otherwise you're not boycotting enough.
Why delete when you could sell your account (which is technically against the TOS).

Or you could do what I plan to do, join the boycott and not give anymore money to GOG and actually start downloading and playing the damn games I have bought during the years and never tried or even downloaded majority of them.

I asked for refunds for my last two purchases, ain't much, but it is a protest. Maybe GOG listens, or maybe they are just after the Chinese market now days (technically GOG is illegal in China, so I don't know why they bother, but I suppose it is very easy to ignore all sorts of technicalities).

Edit: and as another small form of boycott against GOG, I have unfollowed GOG on Twitter & Youtube and unsubscribed from their newsletters and RSS feeds.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Leevi
high rated
Shall not leave the forums.

Not planning to purchase anything else here.

Nice backlog.

I'm with you.
high rated
Updated and moved here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post140
Post edited January 06, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
SomeGuy8504: I would argue that if someone really hated GOG, they wouldn't want to actually come to the site and use it.
Generally, when you hate something you are disgusted to even look at it.
In this case, most of the users who are complaining have more of an ideological or intellectual problem with GOG, but that's not really enough to hate something. The service they deliver is still better than their competitors in many ways, so these users won't actually quit the store until that service actually becomes unusable.

EDIT: I guess to add to that, when you make threads like this it is mainly to incite some sort of rebellious response. These sorts of "forced" boycotts rarely work from my experience. The only boycotts that work are 'natural' ones that happen because people just don't want to buy a product anymore or use a service because it's bad or annoying.

EDIT2: Nothing against OP btw, I don't have a problem with this thread, I just think it'll ultimately be completely ineffective.
You nailed it. I don't hate Gog. Not at all.
I am just profoundly displeased with its latest shenanigans. But I hold some (naive, I know) hope that they could continue being the store that treats its customers as people instead of walking moneybags. Like they did for a long while in years past.

The problem is just that their recent decisions have all been moving in the opposite direction, so while you can say that they are still the best store, where does that road lead to? They have been trying to lose that advantage, very fast.

People are acting as if the boycotters were interested in seeing Gog close its doors. Quite the contrary, I have all the interest in seeing them successful. I just don't want it to happen at the cost of everything that made them the best option to begin with.

Breja:
amok: i think it is more that people go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it. in the end, it becomes spam
Well, Gog's silence since their recent blunders has been going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on... aren't we customers allowed to want answers? And how do you expect us to get them?
low rated
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. ...snip
Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
The problem with the internet, is that it gives fools like yourself the power to do a lot of harm.
Without the internet, a village's fool like yourself would be harmless, people would just laugh at you.
The internet allows village fools to unite and do damage in large groups.
Personally i believe that you wont succeed.
Yes village fools are noisy and they seem omnipresent, but in the end they will be just forgotten and laughed at in retrospective, least thats my hope.
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
Welcome to the Club.

I have not purchased anything from CDP, CDPR or GOG since the summer sale of June 2019. I am closing in on 19 months.

While I did not pick up anything from GOG again, I can say I am happy I picked up these bad boys

Ikaruga Physical Switch Edition
Psikyo Alpha

Also picked up Bravo and some other games, went a little too far, but it is ok to treat yourself every once in a while, especially if hard and honest work paid off after 9 months, got some imports of indies and other overlooked games, too. So I am well stacked for the future.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by MajicMan
high rated
toxicTom: What you call "shamefully cower in fear" is simply risk management - the only sane way to run a company.
There should have done the risk management before announcing the game is coming to the store. Not hard for them to check if it has a past controversy and then decided if the game is too hot for them. Instead, GOG pulls a really unprofessional move, leads a company on and drops support with 5 hours till release. This is totally on GOG for there unprofessional mess up.

Also makes you wonder if there leave a company hanging with 5 hours on the clock if there do the same to us. In the user agreement says there try and give us 60 days to download are collection if the worse happens to GOG but what happens if its 5 hours, who can say now with how unprofessional there are.
For the time being I will be boycotting GOG, if there start to act more professional and start to act on the issues I have on them I will release it.

Things I would like to see is for them is to hire someone to remind devs to keep games updated and to continue to make sure games are kept up to date on GOG (including offline installers) and for all games with DRM in single player games to be patched and if DRM is not removed or game is not kept up to date it gets removed. This is the bare minimum I would like to see from them.

It would be nice just to see them make a effort on these things like with Cyberpunk 2077 there could get the DRM my rewards added in the next patch it would take them like 60 seconds to fix that.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Chaossaturn
Chaossaturn: It would be nice just to see them make a effort on these things like with Cyberpunk 2077 there could get the DRM my rewards added in the next patch it would take them like 60 seconds to fix that.
Well, Onizuka (refering to your picture at the time of posting of course), they will probably likely not do that (not any time soon anyway) since that entire "my rewards" ordeal is likely a proving ground gate for future monetization of the game (through "exclusive in game content").
I definitely want to see GOG release Release Devotion. If not at the very least they should make a statement. I'm not going to commit to any long term boycott but I am reserving any more purchases until I hear more about what GOG plan to do.
low rated
Nope, sorry ..... you are misguided at best, and failing to see the full picture.

I wish you well though.
kohlrak: I have been thinking lately ,and i don't think this is the most effective way to go about it. Boycotts don't work against corporations, it seems. They seem to be more responsive to campaigns by MSM and social media. Remember, they are more beholden to stockholders than they are beholden to customers, and the stock holders don't read the forums.
Time4Tea: Well, I think if enough people boycott that it starts hitting their bottom line, the shareholders would take notice and put pressure on them to change. I believe that mass action by large numbers of people can make a difference. Of course, large corporations want us to believe otherwise, that we are helpless cattle to be farmed, one way or another.
Steam on price and client features alone (which is what they seem to want to do).
The shareholders have to know why it's tanking, though, which requires a social media campaign in today's market. Otherwise, they'll just see gog as a sinking ship and close it down. We see this time and time again with games companies being tone deaf to their base. Investors seem to only look in on social media trends and such, never actually go to random game forums or whatever to take a look.
mrkgnao: On the other side, by continuing to post here, he keeps the spirit of boycott alive and may come to convince others to join. Nobody would know of the boycott otherwise.

If one sees in the street one kid bullying another, one could say "I hate bullies, so I'd better walk down another street", or one might actually try to stop the bullying (and get a black eye in the process).
samuraigaiden: I'll say one thing. If a random user starts using my forums or my social media posts comment section to call for a boycott of my company or my products, I would ban that user in a hear beat. Clearly GOG is a lot more tolerant.
If GOG banned these people, it would be even worse for their reputation. If they don't, it's either because they don't know what to do anymore, or they don't want whatever rep they have left to be burnt.

Or...

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but now that I think of it, what if someone with great influence in GOG's decisions is actually trying to cripple the store? If so, letting all this chaos slide would be beneficial for them.
I can only wonder what their intentions would be, for trying to do such a thing. Maybe a game of control over the market share? Maybe they want to associate DRM free with bad things, so people will resort/go back to DRM'd gaming? I hope I'm wrong, but now I'm worried of what might be the case.