It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zykour: i'm so confused
Yup.

Shoulda left it at that. No need to type all the other rubbish.
high rated
All I'm going to say is that I'm very disappointed in gog and cdpr and I hope they stay true to themselves and redeem themselves by improving their standards and becoming THE standard for excellence once again.

Please and thank you.
low rated
Magnitus: ....its kind of weird to me that people would prefer to play online with strangers than with their friends and family in the intimacy of their home, but to each his own I guess).
I am guessing some are like me(on occasion) and want to play with others around the world quickly and easily....as they might not be that PC literate, or busy, or don't have family or IRL friends.

=-=-=

Time4Tea: The thing that occurs to me about this argument re. cosmetic items is: if they are so trivial, content-wise, then why bother locking them behind an authentication server and going to the trouble of coding all that crap in, in the first place?
Because some like such things and some are more "enticed" to have them if they are more "exclusive". And it seems to have worked, as i've seen several on the board want things they normally likely wouldn't(galaxy adverts on a t shirt skin, for example) seemingly in part due to it being locked behind some sort of barrier.

Time4Tea: Why taint a game that otherwise would be 100% DRM-free, for the sake of something that is so trivial and inconsequential? If it is so trivial, surely it can't be affecting people's decisions to buy/pre-order a game anyway?
Eh, I don't see games as "tainted" with such exclusives(especially as many games have store specific exclusives these days anyways, and also I get rid of any possible DRM via cracks after buying a game, so it doesn't bother me that much)...but we can agree to disagree on this. :)

Time4Tea: Unless, of course, the devs know something we don't, and these silly sparklies actually do encourage people to pre-order games. Imo: if it's substantial enough content to affect someone's purchasing decision, then it is substantial enough to be considered DRM.
As said above, yup it does with a good number of people(so called "fanboys/fangirls and etc).....this is also likely a good part of the reason why games have achievements and etc more and more nowadays(of course that is likely just to get people to buy more games in general).

As for the "drm"....it's more of less a client exclusive skins pack.....stores have given them awaay with more pricey game versions for years now....so it's nothing new
(heck the whole "frequent this store enough times or at the right time to get something" schtick has been a business mainstay for a long time).

Time4Tea: I'm not calling for the downfall of Galaxy, although I have no intention of ever using it myself. I'm fine with the existence of the Galaxy client, for those that want it, as long as it will always be optional. What I object to is the heavy pushing; the incentives being given only to Galaxy users; and the fact that so many of GOG's resources are being diverted into it, to the detriment of the rest of the site, forums, offline installers, etc.
I sometimes also wish they'd spend more time working on the forums and etc.

Time4Tea: Yes, the 'slippery slope' scenario is another reason I don't buy the argument that DRMed cosmetics are ok, because they are minor. If we give them this inch, they will take 3 next time.
They already do, and have done so(businesses in general) for a long time.....even without people criticizing them for such.

That said: picking ones "battles" and compromising goes a long way to keeping mental sanity and also getting what one wants accomplished.
Post edited February 02, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
WeirdoGeek: Ya'know, I'd love to see HIS reaction if a game HE wanted got pulled because whiny punks gathered en masse and flooded the storefront over a stupid reason that already got dealt with. I guess he's just cool with a future where these people decide what we can and can't buy.
There are others here who act and post the same way with such things.....they don't complain unless it's something that affects them. Of course they are free to do so, but imo there's no reason for them to insult people.

=-=-=

Hexchild: I can only hope they'll learn the right lessons from the backlash and actually start treating their customers as more than just mindless consumers.
Given how they treat users in general when sending them PMs and such, I sadly doubt they'll change(even if the forum staff might want to, the higher ups might not allow it.

Hexchild: I doubt there is any other way, but hey, if you come up with one I'm open to suggestions.
Social media, if you have any...just be careful to word it not too rudely, or they might delete it and/or the social media might suspend or ban ya.
Post edited February 02, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
Greybriar: I do not believe boycotting GOG is the right thing to do. I believe that not purchasing a game and letting GOG know why is more in keeping with the spirit of the site. But to deny GOG the funds necessary for it to stay in business is carrying things too far.
1. GOG has CDPR money to keep it afloat...even with the 2077 problems.
2. That's how the market is supposed to work....people frequent good businesses more and frequent the bad ones less....causing some to succeed, and some to fail.
low rated
I no longer see the game on the wishlist.

https://ibb.co/1m9vw0m
low rated
Captainchicken84: I no longer see the game on the wishlist.

Likely because not many are voting atm.

it is back there now when I looked(in the top list of wishes)
Greybriar: I do not believe boycotting GOG is the right thing to do. I believe that not purchasing a game and letting GOG know why is more in keeping with the spirit of the site. But to deny GOG the funds necessary for it to stay in business is carrying things too far.
What do you mean by "spirit of the site"? The "spirit of the site" was that it was supposed to not have forced DRM features in the games it sells and to serve as a means to preserve the games of the past by being a store that primarily sells them and occasionally offer versions that formally faced censorship issues like Indigo Prophecy. They had the chance to do make a HUGE impact in game culture by finally putting a tired and insipid "controversy" to rest and what did they do? They backed out just hours later with a sorry excuse that "many gamers" wrote them to say they didn't want the game sold.

I'm still baffled at why they used the term "many gamers", because it just makes them look like they caved in to whiny pricks, the number of which probably isn't even big enough to make up one percent of the populous. Whiny pricks who, I'll state again, ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT. Like what normal people do when they don't like something on the market. Pretty much the only acceptable excuse at this point is if these "messages" were actually serious death threats that included the GOG team's personal information and the threat included to lie about what really happened if they didn't want to get hurt.

Which leads in to me not getting your "pick and choose the games we buy" point. I assume you are talking about the games that are only available here. The thing is, GOG will still have a steady revenue and not have any need to change what they are doing. Not buying a game but still using the store only delivers the message that the main problem lies with the game and it's creators and that the only proper action for the store to take is to pull the game and nothing more.

The problem here is the store itself and the recent bad decisions it has been making. Decisions so bad, I don't even WANT to buy the desired games exclusive to this storefront. They need to be put in a position where going under is a very real possibility combined with a civil but frim protest that makes it's complaints and presence clear as day or they're not going to even listen, let alone change anything.
Captainchicken84: I no longer see the game on the wishlist.

GamezRanker: Likely because not many are voting atm.

it is back there now when I looked(in the top list of wishes)
God, this thing's reaching 9k and STILL GOG buries their head in the sand...
Post edited February 03, 2021 by WeirdoGeek
I think GOG would do well to heed this advice in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyKBr1w4HLQ&t=455s
high rated
Wasteland 3's DRM situation seemed to have gone under the radar but I see it is now fixed:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/wasteland_3_online_check_drm/post45

Have to say I didn't see this coming, since I didn't sense any hurry to fix the other offending titles.
Time4Tea: Why taint a game that otherwise would be 100% DRM-free, for the sake of something that is so trivial and inconsequential? If it is so trivial, surely it can't be affecting people's decisions to buy/pre-order a game anyway?
GamezRanker: Eh, I don't see games as "tainted" with such exclusives(especially as many games have store specific exclusives these days anyways, and also I get rid of any possible DRM via cracks after buying a game, so it doesn't bother me that much)...but we can agree to disagree on this. :)
Yes, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of cosmetic pre-order rewards.

Time4Tea: Yes, the 'slippery slope' scenario is another reason I don't buy the argument that DRMed cosmetics are ok, because they are minor. If we give them this inch, they will take 3 next time.
GamezRanker: They already do, and have done so(businesses in general) for a long time.....even without people criticizing them for such.

That said: picking ones "battles" and compromising goes a long way to keeping mental sanity and also getting what one wants accomplished.
Well, if 'compromising' means us (DRM-free supporters) gradually giving up ground, which they (GOG) are continuously taking, then I am done compromising. I will pick and fight this battle right here. Besides, since when did FCKDRM involve compromising? Like with one's freedom, there can be no compromise with DRM.
GamezRanker: 2. That's how the market is supposed to work....people frequent good businesses more and frequent the bad ones less....causing some to succeed, and some to fail.
Sadly, it's not in the least how it does work. Because the large majority of people sadly don't do that, and bad businesses thrive on their backs, pushing any few better ones aside and screwing everyone over.
rjbuffchix: Wasteland 3's DRM situation seemed to have gone under the radar but I see it is now fixed:

Have to say I didn't see this coming, since I didn't sense any hurry to fix the other offending titles.
This is good news, for sure, and encouraging to see GOG taking some action to address a DRMed game. However, they need to release Devotion and I want to see actions taken on some of the other list items (e.g. NMS, Absolver), before there would be any change to the boycott (for myself, at least).
Post edited February 03, 2021 by Time4Tea
rjbuffchix: Wasteland 3's DRM situation seemed to have gone under the radar but I see it is now fixed:

Time4Tea: This is good news, for sure, and encouraging to see GOG taking some action to address a DRMed game. However, they need to release Devotion and I want to see actions taken on some of the other list items (e.g. NMS, Absolver), before there would be any change to the boycott (for myself, at least).
"A sign of hope!"
GamezRanker: I am guessing some are like me(on occasion) and want to play with others around the world quickly and easily....as they might not be that PC literate, or busy, or don't have family or IRL friends.

=-=-=
Fair enough, I'm sorry to hear. I hope things get better.

Family can be complicated, but everyone should have friends.