It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leevi: But I will keep my boycott up. Tempted, but I will remain strong.
Happy to hear that; don't let them buy you out. They will do everything in their power to try to make this situation go away without actually addressing it/doing anything about it. I hope nobody takes the bait.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by dycaite
aiMute: Censorship is a very valid reason though I'm boycotting GOG coz of Cyberpunk 2077 - having tops breaking numerous promises and screwing up their customers hard and then lying to them in the so called "apology" again is the best way to dump all the rep they had.
If they want to go screw-customers-money-first Electronic Arts route and be the new best friends with Winnie the Flu sure they can go ahead but then they'll be on even ground with other stores and I'm not sure they will stand a chance there.
yes
If they only released it buggy and then do a proper apology and respect their promises without all the lies, then they could get back some respect, but looks like they want instant sale numbers more.
This is what happens when there is a new staff only wanting to see the share price increased even if that means it will ruin the company in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they even made internal trading.
They couldn't tempt me with Hexen, even at a very attractive price point for the Hexen/Heretic collection.

Like I said before: There's still plenty of time to buy all that stuff when they get their heads straight. If they don't and if the website should go under before they manage to smarten up, well... in that case I can count myself lucky that I didn't waste more money here.
low rated
Leevi: But I will keep my boycott up. Tempted, but I will remain strong.
dycaite: Happy to hear that; don't let them buy you out. They will do everything in their power to try to make this situation go away without actually addressing it/doing anything about it. I hope nobody takes the bait.
they will just wait it all out like nothing happened, then they will do something similar in the future even more easily
fronzelneekburm: They couldn't tempt me with Hexen, even at a very attractive price point for the Hexen/Heretic collection.

Like I said before: There's still plenty of time to buy all that stuff when they get their heads straight. If they don't and if the website should go under before they manage to smarten up, well... in that case I can count myself lucky that I didn't waste more money here.
those are old games anyway, only reason to play them is nostalgia
do you think they will turn back from the dark side?
Post edited January 19, 2021 by Orkhepaj
dycaite: Happy to hear that; don't let them buy you out. They will do everything in their power to try to make this situation go away without actually addressing it/doing anything about it. I hope nobody takes the bait.
Orkhepaj: they will just wait it all out like nothing happened, then they will do something similar in the future even more easily
Yeah, probably... But I still intend to raise a stink about this until we either get some kind of acknowledgement, or Devotion is released.
thefallenalchemist: Zoom is going to have a major hurdle with it becoming more accepted into the mainstream. It's name. When I search for Zoom, you already know what I find first. That is going to be incredibly confusing for gamers. And if the creators of the popular Zoom service that people have been using to communicate decide they want to sue the other Zoom over their name (which is probably copywritten) then it will not look good on Zoom. So first and foremost, they need to rebrand the whole damn thing.
That would be a trademark, not a copyright ("zoom" is by far way too short and simple a creative work to be copyrighted).

Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but legally this is a very relevant distinction, and the applicable rules are generally very different.

I'm not quite as optimistic as Time4Tea though. You can lose trademarks by not actively protecting them (i.e. sending "cease and desist" letters, suing and that kind of stuff), and you can strengthen them by becoming well known and/or well established (which the chat platform arguably is by now).

Though I'm sure there are variations on what's possible or likely, depending on what country a trial might be held in.
Noooo I like gog.
joppo: First and foremost I'd like to see competent categorization of the games, easy ways to browse and filter the library, support for more payment providers, an About page that affirms their commitment to DRM-freeness, and a forum (preferably one that isn't broken and ancient).
GamezRanker: Vid related ;)

(what I mean to say with the above link is that i'd rather a game seller stay DRM free more than them posting a guarantee on some page on their site.....I mean, if other companies like GOG itself have shown, those guarantees can easily be broken)
That goes without saying, of course. But if one day they decide to switch courses to a direction we the customers don't want, wouldn't it be much easier for them without a stated commitment?

If Gog hadn't always promised they would remain DRM-free do you think there would be anything here that wouldn't be already packed full with DRM? Do you think there would be even a single Galaxy-free offline installer yet?
Post edited January 19, 2021 by joppo
Leevi: Blah, and now GOG goes and actually gets classic good old game, which was even on my community wishlist. Moonstone: A Hard Day's Knight. Would have been inatabuy. But I will keep my boycott up. Tempted, but I will remain strong. Rights issues for the game have been cleared now, so maybe some other stores get it too. Or maybe GOG improves things so that boycott isn't needed anymore.
+1
high rated
I have been watching this thread with interest from the start.

Add me to the boycott list.

For what its worth, my primary reason for officially joining the boycott is the abandonment of the DRM free principle (I mean single player games). The CDPR release is confirmation that the DRM free principle on gog is finished.

To those that say all the DRM that has gradually been introduced to gog is just cosmetic and shouldn't matter, I say it is a clear test of what the user will tolerate and it will continue in scope. Including the very definition of the term.

To those that say a boycott will make no difference, it does not mean that it will make no difference to me. I have not made a purchase on steam for nearly nine years and feel better for it.

I won't be making any more purchases on gog until they clarify their position on DRM.
low rated
thefallenalchemist: This is what makes me a bit wary of Zoom.

"The entity's primary initiative is to create and incubate original intellectual property for the video game and film markets in cooperation with well-known Hollywood stars. Additionally, the Firm has strong interest in established film and TV based intellectual properties."

That sounds like too many cooks trying to turn a DRM-Free store into a real nightmare.
That's probably PR speak/boilerplate for the partners they hope to sign(to get more games there and etc).

=-=-=

Leevi: Rights issues for the game have been cleared now, so maybe some other stores get it too. Or maybe GOG improves things so that boycott isn't needed anymore.
At this point, GOG changing course to do right by the user base isn't very likely(it would've been in the past, though). So your best bet is hoping zoom/etc get it, or that someone gifts it to a giveaway.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by GamezRanker
GamezRanker: At this point, GOG changing course to do right by the user base isn't very likely(it would've been in the past, though). So your best bet is hoping zoom/etc get it, or that someone gifts it to a giveaway.
It's simple for me really: Whoever releases Devotion first wins the grand prize. If it's Zoom, so be it. I'd prefer it to be Playism or itch.io, but if it ends up on Zoom, I'll make an account there just for Devotion (and maybe buy that Alien Trilogy thingy as well) and gog can go rot in a ditch for all I care. They had a good run, but they've squandered every last bit of goodwill they've built up with me over the years.
low rated
If the GOG DLer situation is anything to go by, they likely won't respond whether people "take the bait" or not.

Still, imo the boycott(buying nothing or less) & the criticisms some users did already made the point known to GOG.

=-=-=

joppo: That goes without saying, of course. But if one day they decide to switch courses to a direction we the customers don't want, wouldn't it be much easier for them without a stated commitment?

If Gog hadn't always promised they would remain DRM-free do you think there would be anything here that wouldn't be already packed full with DRM? Do you think there would be even a single Galaxy-free offline installer yet?
All i'm saying is that such guarantees are not usually worth much, and i'd rather the company stick to said values than print a "guarantee" on the store/site.....one which any such store/site could possibly break at any point.
GOG just made it even easier to soft-boycott them.

They just confirmed that they will only be supporting the mono-culture that is Googles Blink browser engine.
Which means I won't even be able to use their newsletter discount codes at the redeem page.
I've already unsubscribed back in Dec 3. When I submitted a ticket that they broke the Redeem page.
Only 1 more certain buy on my wishlist, 3 maybes, and 1 maybe not.
low rated
fronzelneekburm: They had a good run, but they've squandered every last bit of goodwill they've built up with me over the years.
To me the "problem"(no offense btw) is that so many get attached to said companies/sites like they are family or good friends.....whereas to me such places are often just goods/services vendors. Sure, I may like some a bit sometimes for one reason or another, but I learned long ago to not get too attached to them.

That is why I buy games from most stores(preferably DRM free....or I "make them DRM free after the buy") and then store/play them......all while doing my best to not get too attached to any company/store/site.