It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
NorseLord: I am way behind, I thought GOG by definition was DRM free but I guess that is similar how Google used to say do no evil. I will be more careful with my GOG purchases from now on.
It is most of the time, that is the whole point.
low rated
NorseLord: I am way behind, I thought GOG by definition was DRM free but I guess that is similar how Google used to say do no evil. I will be more careful with my GOG purchases from now on.
To be fair, the vast majority of the games on GOG are DRM-free; however, there are a few that clearly aren't. These have been brought to GOG's attention numerous times and they have done nothing about it, over the course of several years. Rather than being concerned about the tarnishing effect these games have on their reputation and pro-actively removing them, GOG has reeled out the line that: "We believe game developers should be free to design their games in a manner of their choosing.", a position that is totally inconsistent with the image GOG projects of being a champion of DRM-free.

Which is why myself and others are boycotting, to send a clear message that the situation is unacceptable.

(and, of course, let's not forget the Devotion scandal ...)
low rated
Thanks to everyone who has posted recently in support of the boycott against GOG.com. Clearly, for many users, the boycott is alive and well. There may not have been much activity in the thread lately, but that does not mean it is dead. I think a better description would be 'dormant'. GOG still have not addressed any of the items on the list, but there have not been any new infractions lately, so we are in a holding pattern. However, we are not going to 'forget' or 'go away', simply due to the passage of time. This boycott will continue until GOG is free of DRM and Devotion has been released and GOG are on notice that any further slippage in their DRM-free standards will carry consequences. This thread will roar into life the moment they take another ill-advised step into DRM territory.

I would also like to raise a glass to certain detractors, who think the boycott is flawed and ineffectual, and yet feel compelled to keep posting the same tired arguments over and over again, because they are so desperate to derail the thread and shut it down. Thanks for doing your part to keep the thread relevant and visible ;-)
Post edited June 12, 2022 by Time4Tea
low rated
Time4Tea: Thanks to everyone who has posted recently in support of the boycott against GOG.com. Clearly, for many users, the boycott is alive and well. There may not have been much activity in the thread lately, but that does not mean it is dead. I think a better description would be 'dormant'. GOG still have not addressed any of the items on the list, but there have not been any new infractions lately, so we are in a holding pattern. However, we are not going to 'forget' or 'go away', simply due to the passage of time. This boycott will continue until GOG is free of DRM and Devotion has been released and GOG are on notice that any further slippage in their DRM-free standards will carry consequences. This thread will roar into life the moment they take another ill-advised step into DRM territory.

I would also like to raise a glass to certain detractors, who think the boycott is flawed and ineffectual, and yet feel compelled to keep posting the same tired arguments over and over again, because they are so desperate to derail the thread and shut it down. Thanks for doing your part to keep the thread relevant and visible ;-)
the latest issues that I know of are:
Hitman release and lack of a proper post-mortem
few not directly on-topic posts that suggest it will be getting worse
low rated
zakius: the latest issues that I know of are:
Hitman was bad and it was added to the list here initially, but it was removed from the store following a fierce user backlash and being picked up by some of the gaming news media.

I agree that GOG never provided an adequate explanation of how it happened or what they will do differently in future. However, their indifference towards DRM has been evident for several years now, so it doesn't seem that is anything new.
low rated
zakius: the latest issues that I know of are:
Time4Tea: Hitman was bad and it was added to the list here initially, but it was removed from the store following a fierce user backlash and being picked up by some of the gaming news media.

I agree that GOG never provided an adequate explanation of how it happened or what they will do differently in future. However, their indifference towards DRM has been evident for several years now, so it doesn't seem that is anything new.
it was probably the first case that go enough traction in general PC related media to reach enough people
enough for them to remove it, but not enough to address other games with similar issues in the store...
low rated
Time4Tea: I would also like to raise a glass to certain detractors, who think the boycott is flawed and ineffectual, and yet feel compelled to keep posting the same tired arguments over and over again, because they are so desperate to derail the thread and shut it down. Thanks for doing your part to keep the thread relevant and visible ;-)
Except when:
1. This whole thread violates GoG's forum rules via you "boycotters" constantly hijack your own thread. Yet, it seems the moderators don't want to follow their own rules. As I've said multiple times before, if this was any other forum, this thread would've been closed over a year ago.
2. Your whole stance is based off a Big Lie. That being that you are actually boycotting. You still buy games from GoG. That isn't a boycott, as you're still giving GoG money. You see, I'm engaged in an actual boycott of Steam as I haven't given them a single penny for multiple years now. That's how it's done, not your Big Lie.
low rated
Time4Tea: I would also like to raise a glass to certain detractors, who think the boycott is flawed and ineffectual, and yet feel compelled to keep posting the same tired arguments over and over again, because they are so desperate to derail the thread and shut it down. Thanks for doing your part to keep the thread relevant and visible ;-)
Krogan32: Except when:
1. This whole thread violates GoG's forum rules via you "boycotters" constantly hijack your own thread. Yet, it seems the moderators don't want to follow their own rules. As I've said multiple times before, if this was any other forum, this thread would've been closed over a year ago.
2. Your whole stance is based off a Big Lie. That being that you are actually boycotting. You still buy games from GoG. That isn't a boycott, as you're still giving GoG money. You see, I'm engaged in an actual boycott of Steam as I haven't given them a single penny for multiple years now. That's how it's done, not your Big Lie.
I don't know about others, but I haven't bought a single game since this thread started. Not on steam either.
I just pup up every 3 months or so to see if GoG decided to grow a pair, so far, no luck.
low rated
Krogan32: Except when:
nah ive seen the pride topic and decided not to buy Quern
so there is a boycott right there
low rated
Time4Tea: This boycott will continue until GOG is free of DRM and Devotion has been released ;-)
Do we know if the devs of Devotion even want to release here? Seems odd to include that as criteria for ending the boycott.
low rated
Time4Tea: This boycott will continue until GOG is free of DRM and Devotion has been released ;-)
paladin181: Do we know if the devs of Devotion even want to release here? Seems odd to include that as criteria for ending the boycott.
Red Candle clearly had wanted to release here two years ago, before GOG abruptly pulled the rug from under their feet. It's possible that now that bridge has been burned and they wouldn't want to release on here any longer. I can only speak for myself here, but in that case GOG would need to hit more of the other items on the list to make up for it - in particular, I would want to see GWENT removed.
low rated
paladin181: Do we know if the devs of Devotion even want to release here? Seems odd to include that as criteria for ending the boycott.
Time4Tea: Red Candle clearly had wanted to release here two years ago, before GOG abruptly pulled the rug from under their feet. It's possible that now that bridge has been burned and they wouldn't want to release on here any longer. I can only speak for myself here, but in that case GOG would need to hit more of the other items on the list to make up for it - in particular, I would want to see GWENT removed.
I'm going to make it simple for you: GWENT is a multiplayer only game, which is why it requires an online connection. Therefore, your wanting to remove it from GoG, because it doesn't coincide with your definitions that you change on a daily basis, proves that you are being illogical.
Post edited June 14, 2022 by Krogan32
low rated
So kawaii! Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread alive!
low rated
We don't even know if the developers of Devotion disclosed to GOG the reasons why their game had been pulled from Steam or if had GOG failed to do their own research about that before signing the release deal?

But lets be charitable and assume that developers did warn GOG about the problematic past of their game, then the next question is did GOG sign the release deal with the developers without having a meeting with the upper management of the CDP Group to make sure that everyone is on board to release that game despite the obvious risk to the entire CDP Group should CCP not stop at just blocking GOG from the Chinese market, but perhaps decides to ban all of CDPR's games in China on all platforms?

Quite clearly the only even theoretical chance for this boycott to get Devotion released on GOG is that the boycott is targeted against the entire CDP Group, but if the rest of the CDP Group had not given the chance to agree in advance to withstand any retaliation from CCP, is it really fair to force them to do that retroactively, especially as if they had had the chance to voice their opinions before the Weibo announcement, the release could have been done far more discreetly than by practically openly challenging the authority of CCP by using the Chinese social media to taunt them?

Unfortunately emotions about "CCP and censorship BAD!!!" seem to allow ends to justify the means instead of people trying to come up with any solutions that could be applied universally to any cases where a subsidiary has put their parent company in a harms way.

Now someone is bound to say that we should be given answers to these open questions, but to their dismay no such answers are likely to be given at least before someone retires and writes a book about their time in the gaming industry, unless of course someone in the know is stupid enough to make themselves unemployable in that industry before their livelihood no longer relies on it.

But in case anyone is still concerned about the developers being left penniless, my guess is that they had to have been paid off more or less generously because it would have been in CDP Group's best interests to make sure that the developers don't want to try their luck at taking GOG to court over a breach of contract as that might have resulted with it becoming a public knowledge that the rest of the CDP Group made GOG to cancel the release and regardless of if that was done with or without them having known about the release plans in advance, if was made clear who exactly we could blame for all this, a more potent boycott would have been more than likely than what we got by GOG being given and order to not say anything about the incident that wasn't approved by the upper management of the CDP Group, who made sure to let GOG take all the credit for the cancellation.

Sorry, but not sorry to bring all these shades of grey into to something so many here have so much wanted to only see as a black and white issue, but I am sorry that it took this long for me to realize that instead of trying to come up with a short and concise explanation about how corporations handle crisis management so that people would stop wondering why this boycott has been ignored, I should have just asked do we even know enough about the basic details about this fiasco to be able to determine who to blame and what would the be best course of action to take or if we even should take any action...
Post edited June 14, 2022 by JAAHAS
low rated
Buy Devotion DRM-free here, GOG's loss: https://shop.redcandlegames.com/app/devotion
Post edited June 14, 2022 by tfishell