It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Breja: How is there a loss of money involved? You can back up offline installers of all your games. And how does it make any sense to abandon GOG in protest... and move to Steam? What exactly is it you're protesting against that Steam isn't already guilty of to an even greater degree?
I can't answer for abandoned_account. But for me the one thing that GOG is guilty of big time is lying. Steam never pretended to be a DRM-free platform. They never promised that their client would be 100% optional forever. They showed what they are right away.

Of course that means that I didn't shop there at all. I won't move there either. They are still what they always have been so I will keep avoiding Steam, Epic, Origin et al. But GOG has started on a pretended principle of mutual trust and has then betrayed that trust. Repeatedly. That's a difference. The expectation that they fostered.
Lifthrasil: That's a difference. The expectation that they fostered.
Sure, that's a fair point, but it's not exactly relevant to the question. I mean, it doesn't make moving to a service that has DRM all over the place to protest another service slowly introducing DRM make any more sense.
Lifthrasil: Probably it would also be more noticeable for GOG if this protest and boycott discussion would happen in their social media channels
Orkhepaj: yes probably on twitter this would get more attention from gog
Indeed. Instead of just not reading and pretending that there is no dissent they would have to rush to erase the unwelcome posts and block the accounts that do not praise them.
At least they would show their colors by action rather than by inaction.

Orkhepaj: so how is the boycott going, any success?
rjbuffchix: As others have previously discussed and suggested, several of us are having subjective successes in that we are:
-not supporting a company engaging in actions we disapprove of
-saving money, or spending it otherwise
-receiving satisfaction at sticking to our principles
You know, one day Gog will surprise "everyone" with mandatory Galaxy for installs or a major part of a game locked behind DRM and many of the users that came here specifically to diss and antagonize the boycotters will say how they're feeling betrayed and all.
Should I count as a plus that that day we can laugh in their faces and tell them to eat every spoonful of the shit they're enabling Gog to get away with? (Unless of course this boycott somehow manages to reach its goal, which I still hope for despite all odds.)
Post edited March 12, 2021 by joppo
joppo: Indeed. Instead of just not reading and pretending that there is no dissent they would have to rush to erase the unwelcome posts and block the accounts that do not praise them.
Not a single post from GOG on Twitter goes by anymore without a couple of people giving them crap or asking where Devotion is.
Post edited March 12, 2021 by ReynardFox
joppo: Indeed. Instead of just not reading and pretending that there is no dissent they would have to rush to erase the unwelcome posts and block the accounts that do not praise them.
ReynardFox: Not a single post from GOG on Twitter goes by anymore without a couple of people giving them crap or asking where Devotion is.
Don't forget the occasional white knight defending the downfall of gaming.
ReynardFox: Not a single post from GOG on Twitter goes by anymore without a couple of people giving them crap or asking where Devotion is.
WeirdoGeek: Don't forget the occasional white knight defending the downfall of gaming.
Yeah, it's almost as pathetic as the ones running bots to downvote people on the forum here.
Zrevnur: And without knowing the shareholder spectrum (this is a flagship company in Poland kind of, I dont think US Wall Street investment perspective necessarily fits here) there really is no way to know whether the China thing would be seen as good or bad by the majority of the 'free float' shareholders.
GamezRanker: Many shareholders like to make money, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that GOG possibly getting cut from a sizeable market(chyna) would likely be seen as bad to them.
'Shareholders' are not a separate species. They are a wide spectrum between "random normal" people (mostly Polish ones in the CDP case I guess) and institutional professionals. As can be seen in the shareholder structure there is however no institution as major shareholder there - quite unlike in many other companies. So its quite possible (from my limited POV) that most of 'free float' are "random normal" Polish people. Of course they want to make money. But do they (given Polish history, maybe look that up if you dont know) really want CDP groveling to CCP?
(And I dont think the Devotion thing was due to GOG vs China but rather due to future CDPR games vs China.)

mrkgnao: They account for 33% of the shares. The rest are free float.
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/shareholders/
ReynardFox: So CDP don't even control a majority stake in their own company? ...suddenly a lot of this makes a depressing amount of sense.
If you actually want to know the truth about 'free float' shareholder influence read the transcripts on their site. My impression is that the management does their own thing which is not in line with shareholder demands.
Post edited March 12, 2021 by Zrevnur
low rated
Gog is finished. Those who control cd project are going to bankrupt the company.

In two years gog will unfortunately be gone.

It is best to buy on steam. They have drm and rent the games but at least they are honest.

Glad to see how we're all going to steam.
StrongSoldier: Glad to see how we're all going to steam.
I would be very glad to see you go there. Or enywhere else for that matter.
Post edited March 12, 2021 by Breja
Hexchild: Makes me wonder, though, if it would be possible (as a group of shareholders) to call a vote of no confidence in things like their ethics or customer relations rather than plain profit.
Indirectly this is obviously possible. Happy customers believing in the company being ethical will spend more money. There is no possible way to proof whether this or that strategy is going to be more profitable. Management needs to represent shareholder interests. If shareholders want a certain strategy they can make it happen.

Also relevant here: In https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2018/08/management-board-report-on-cd-projekt-capital-group-activities-in-h1-2018-1.pdf it says "honest and direct communication with players" . While I dont know if newer versions of this (didnt check) also have this in them:
This is communication with investors. If they communicate that and dont live up to it (from my current POV I would say that if they were to say that now it would be a blatant lie) then you can use that as base for "no confidence" or a lawsuit or whatever else. Companies are not allowed to lie to investors like companies are (sort of) allowed to lie to customers.

Also: There is no general "public companies must maximize profit at the expense of everything else" law or rule that I am aware of. Far as I remember even in US this is not true. Dont know about Poland though.
StrongSoldier: Glad to see how we're all going to steam.
Breja: I would be very glad to see you go there. Or enywhere else for that matter.
I can offer a suggestion of another place he can go, involving a land down under that doesn't have anything to do with Oz. Getting sick of the hyperbole or low effort trolling, whatever it happens to be.
Aaaand Darksiders Genesis hasn't been bought, too. Shame.
I'm glad to hear it and I hope it continues! We must never allow them to forget, or sweep it under the carpet.
WeirdoGeek: Don't forget the occasional white knight defending the downfall of gaming.
ReynardFox: Yeah, it's almost as pathetic as the ones running bots to downvote people on the forum here.
Time4Tea: I'm glad to hear it and I hope it continues! We must never allow them to forget, or sweep it under the carpet.
Unfortunately, they managed to get the protester with the 8-bit zombie icon. Full on suspended instead of just blocked from GOG's page, no less! I wonder how much bull they had to put in their spammed reports to make THAT happen...

It's almost like they have experience with this kind of thing.
StrongSoldier: Gog is finished. Those who control cd project are going to bankrupt the company.

In two years gog will unfortunately be gone.

It is best to buy on steam. They have drm and rent the games but at least they are honest.

Glad to see how we're all going to steam.
GOG is always welcome to go back, bite the bullet, issue a proper apology and keep the promises they made to us and Red Candle.

I'm still willing to come back if they do. I'm not holding my breath about it happening, but I would come back.
Post edited March 12, 2021 by WeirdoGeek
Hexchild: If they actually end up shutting down because of this boycott (and I highly doubt that will happen) then it's because of GOG, since they made promises they couldn't keep.
StrongSoldier: No, those who have participated in this will be responsible for the fact that the only store no drm has not disappeared drm. Luckily, as we can read on social networks, they are the small group of users that always cause problems.
"Argh, those peaceful protesters that caught us red handed must be made responsible for OUR very mistakes that made those people protest in the first place"

StrongSoldier: In the end, because of you we will run out of a store not drm like gog.
StrongSoldier: Hopefully they keep their word and don't buy from gog again, it's the best thing that can happen to all of us.
So, let me get this clear, you are heavily implying it's OUR FAULT, and suggesting GOG will fall BECAUSE of US not buying, meanwhile you are saying it's the best thing that could happen to "you" that "we" are not buying.
Interesting.

StrongSoldier: In the end, because of you we will run out of a store not drm like gog.
Since you literally quoted only me I am kind of willing to ask:
do you mean ME PERSONALLY or did you fail to generalize in your attempt at blaming all people boycotting?

B1tF1ghter: What I said is, (unlike GOG) Valve has not lied to me (as their customer) ABOUT THEIR CORE PRINCIPLES.
amok: That;s becuase they never had any.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
They do actually have principles. No matter how much you hate and despise Valve they still have SOME principles.
But unlike GOG they never said that their store is DRM-free only to later spit in customers' faces.

Enebias: let alone sway their full steam course
GOG is NOWHERE NEAR the quality of Steam. Right now, with all the questionable actions, GOG is leaning far more into the Epic territory of behaviours and "consumer relations".

Enebias: It's far more likely they commit involuntary suicide by releasing another quality game like Cyberpunk.
On the subject of CP2077 and comparisons to Valve:
NO Vavle's game ever released was THIS BROKEN like CP2077...
And I'm not defending Valve here or anything (since "some people" will likely start crucifying me for bringing up Valve, again).
It's a statement of a FACT.

GreasyDogMeat: If this post is a meme / joke / troll, well played TENCENT INVESTOR.
TencentInvestor: I sincerely feel this way. Maybe some honest souls still bloom here like the pure Lotus flower blooms from muddy waters. But I haven't seen many people who defend common sense and human decency while most of you attack others for stating facts and speaking up against unfair treatment. CDP has done you more harm than China ever has and likely ever will. Leave China alone. The CDPR management is the real dystopian dictatorship here.
Well, dear "german citizen", since you have no authority over personal metadata of people in here I suggest you stop your random unproven statements before you COMPLETELY compromise your reputation here.

joppo: CCP's economic strategy is producing their goods extremely cheap
If one would to nitpick it could easily be said that without a doubt the fact that those "many chinese made products" are often of TOO low quality, SPECIFICLY because of it, MANY people were harmed, possibly many died exclusively due to that.

joppo: Hyperbole aside I agree that some people here appear to display an incredible... need... to defend anti-consumer practices just because they were perpetrated by their beloved "heroes". Apparently nothing they do is enough to take them off that pedestal.
It's called blind loyalty. There is also some examples of blind patriotism in this thread.
Either way: not seeing what's wrong BY CHOICE.

QueenAdrian: I want off the list. Far too often, the Devotion situation is used as an excuse for racism, and I do not want to be associated with it any further.
"There are some paid actors stirring a trouble in this peaceful protest assembly therefore I, devoted to the protest, will see myself out as I don't want to be associated with that insiders minority".
Seriously. No comment.

GamezRanker: (sidenote: a good number these days, generally speaking, seem to worry a bit too much about how they're perceived by a bunch of randos on social media that they hardly know)
re-note:
A good number doesn't understand the difference between unproven accusations ("he is in that peaceful protest where a minor amount of troublemakers showed up so he must be one of those") versus facts and reality ("he is in said protest where a bunch or racists showed up but he is a separate individual and therefore should be judged by HIS actions and not others'").

GamezRanker: Sidenote: "Oddly enough", GOG just approved the release of a game called Orwell's Animal Farm.
Basically GOG is a bunch of unfaithful grey zone merchants who cannot resist breaking ANY of their vows if they see money.
They cannot even craft lie believable enough to give even an ILLUSION of caring.

TencentInvestor: I understand that you have an emotional need to rationalize the amount of time and money you have spent here but that doesn't change the facts.
Such as the fact that you don't actually know who out of people present in this thread who have spent their money on this platform bought things based on emotions and who justified it properly in the first place.

TencentInvestor: Just like China is prospering while Europe and the USA are declining.
Just like you are generalizing. Left right and center. You give away strong vibe of liking to do so.

TencentInvestor: I will trust the evidence my eyes and ears provide, not your petty attempts at hypernormalization.
Oh, so you now have access to exact INTERNAL (ergo non-public, confidential) financial data of EACH country from specified zones? What are you? Mobius?

kdgog: [Part 1/3, split up because it was too long for one post, but there was no error message about length.]
There is never an error message when you exceed the hidden limit. Just like there is no error message when your syntax is wrong (say, for example, unclosed quote).
The GOG forum software is from dark ages.

kdgog: a supporter
I was GOG supporter too. But I go after ideals, not platforms or individuals claiming to use the ideals.
Therefore I have no problem calling out GOG's bullshit.

kdgog: they threatened to close my account if I “broke community guidelines” again (presumably removing access to all the games I’ve bought, without any form of refund or compensation).
If you are indeed in EU such action is literally illegal (removing your access to already purchased content).

IAmBored2: and if you bought HL2 in a store then all you got was a steam key. Hilariously, steam didn't do anything to stop piracy either,
Hilariously many (all?) VAVLE's own games can be made DRM-free with simple cvar.

RoboPond: I've said it before and I'll say it again GOG is not about the Gamers its about the "gamers".
Well it's quite clear the case is about "gamers" pretending to be Gamers.
But actually, what prevents us, Gamers, from pretending to be "gamers"?
If GOG doesn't care to check who is messaging them then they would only prove their hypocrisy if they would start selectively checking it now of all times.

StrongSoldier: Gog is finished. Those who control cd project are going to bankrupt the company.
Oh, so it's not us, boycotting, bringingdown GOG anymore?