It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finely ground aliens to take-out.

Shadowgrounds Survivor, a dynamic top-down shooter with swarms of alien horrors to spray with bullets, suggestive visuals, spiffy weapon upgrade system, and four player co-op mode, is now available on GOG.com for only $5.99. With that, its predecessor: Shadowgrounds, receives a Mac version and a permanent price drop to $5.99 as well.

In this indirect continuation of Frozenbyte's exciting alien shooter you'll follow a parallel story of the human commando facing the invasion on the Ganymede colony. The horror creeping in the dark corners of the Universe finally caught up with Terran colonists and the massacre that followed was only survived by a handful of the best trained, bravest, and quickest soldiers. Now it is up to them to put a stop to the extraterrestrial menace that threatens our existence.

Shadowgrounds Survivor delivers non-stop alien-shooting action over the course of 20 diverse missions, and it does so in perfect form. The old-school gameplay concept is paired with very modern visuals. You'll feel the heat of the combat and alien blood splatters as your guns rattle and spit a rain of bullets on your monstrous foes. Are you crazy enough to face the endless waves of beast in the timed survival mode? You can even share the fun with up to three more friends, in the fun and challenging co-op mode. Fun times! Dark and dangerous, but fun.

Humanity needs you again, so grab your upgradeable guns, and seriously kick some alien behind in Shadowgrounds Survivor, for only $5.99.
Huinehtar: There was a isometric party-based RPG named Shadowlands on Atari ST, Amiga and MSDOS by Teque (edited by Domark) in 92, it was about a spirit of a great warrior who called 4 living servants to defeat the evil wizard who killed him in a battlefield.

A "sequel" but not in a fantasy world was released in 93, and made by Teque too (no joke with an existent company :D) but edited by Krysalis, about 4 survivors in a spaceship, it was named Shadoworlds.
Yeah I just did a google:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shadowlands
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shadoworlds

As you said, DOS versions too. GOG should look into these.
The "most helpful" review for Shadowgrounds starts "Not bad. Asking $10 for it on GOG is crazy"; I'm glad that you've lowered it.

As for the release, I'm perfectly happy to see this game here; not especially interested in buying it, but if GOG has part of a series, I'm always glad to see them fill in the missing pieces.

I have no interest into jumping into the argument that's broken out, but I will say that GOG has had slumps before, and every slump, we've been definitively told by one forum member or another that it's the end of everything; but it hasn't been yet.
undeadcow: I wonder what will happen when World of Eden: Thunderscape is released this Thursday, that's a bona fide minor DOS based RPG classic from 1995 that seems to fit right into GOG's mission (both new and old). Maybe then there will only be triumphant rejoicing.
Don't know, but searching around and hearing about the game having numerous bugs does not inspire me with great confidence in buying it. I hope what i've heard about the bugs is wrong or that there are fan patches to fix them as it looks like a rather good "cult status" RPG. Tons of unfixed and rather serious bugs is the reason I didn't play Darklands which also looked awesome.
timppu: I couldn't care less if GOG releases SSI GoldBox games, and I'd find it very surprising that many people would want to actually play them properly to this day and age (especially without nostalgia-goggles on). They just haven't aged that well, sorry.
Crosmando: It has nothing to do with nostalgia, I was playing Death Knights of Krynn some weeks ago and it was fantastic, gameplay is tight as ever. Anyone who uses the term "nostalgia goggles" is to be ignored, there is no such thing, games are either good or they are not. You certainly won't get character generation and tactics in any modern RPG like in the GB, so they still hold up today.

Seriously, anyone who uses the word "nostalgia goggles" or "aged badly" on GOG of all places needs to get back to Steam ASAP.
OK now,...time for my two cents:

@Timppu: Well, I for one would like to have the opportunity to replay the SSI - Classics...while I do have to agree - it is definitely nostalgia, which lets these games shine in my eyes.

See, I just counted the games/packages on my GOG-Shelf: 209. Out of 595.
That are a lot of (according to some GOGfellows) amazing games, "everyone should have / must have played!", that I'm missing, yes?

Actually not! - Because most of these games I never played, back in the days, when they were new.
And whenever I read all the exited comments about game x or game y, I take a look at the screenshots, shudder, and say to myself: "No thanks, nothing for me!"

Among these almost 400 games, I have evaded so far, there might be some, that you absolute love and still play today, enjoying them. But that doesn't make them automatically "must haves" for me or anybody else - and vice versa, of course...lots of games, I love - you might disdain because of graphics, genre, whatever.

Now, this doesn't mean, these games are crap - it just means, I have no nostalgic feelings for them...as you might have no nostalgic feelings towards some games (ie: SSI Goldbox Games), that I can still "fall in love for", even after all these years.

As you have put it absolute correct: "They just haven't aged that well, sorry."
That's it! - You have to wear nostalgia-crusted glasses, or else some (if not most /all?) old games, fail to please you.

@Crosmando: Then, please...feel free to ignore me from today on, because I use the term "nostalgia glasses" and "aged badly".

And I think it is quite elitist, to think only your opinion is right and everyone disagreeing with you, and have an maybe more realistic view on old games "...needs to get back to Steam ASAP."

If you played "Death Knights of Krynn" recently for the very first time (and it has to be so, or else you might wear
-maybe unknowingly- "some special glasses", too) - well, good for you...but not everyone is like you. And some folks (myself included) need "golden" memories of games we played, to enjoy them nowadays.

And it doesn't make us any less gamers than you might think you are!
No, I played the Krynn games a number of years ago, and am recently replaying them with an imported party. Timppu seemed to be implying that the GB games are no longer good games in 2013, and are only viewed as good by those who have nostalgia for them, which I disagree, as games I think they are solid and playable to this day.

I don't think nostalgia is strong enough (at least for myself) that I can view a bad game as a good game when looking back.
@BreOI72

I think you are pointing out the difference between nostalgia and oldschool.
Nostalgia can concern a specific game, or a specific era.
When I play Fallout, I am nostalgic of the game I enjoyed 15 years ago.
When I play a Build Engine game, and knowing that I played some of them but not all, I am nostalgic of an era: the late 90s.
Looking at the ROTT remake, I am interested in, I am kinda olschool.

And when I am looking at some future games as Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, or Torment Tides of Numenera, I am not nostalgic of any game/era, because they have not released yet. But it's olsdchool, and I want to see them here, because I think GOG is the right place to welcome them (and I don't mention my DRM-free concerns).
JudasIscariot: Do you remember Mind Blowing May? We tried that, I'll let you be the judge of the results :D
I don't, must've just missed it based on when I joined. What was it about? Or are the wounds still too tender?
JudasIscariot: Do you remember Mind Blowing May? We tried that, I'll let you be the judge of the results :D
IAmSinistar: I don't, must've just missed it based on when I joined. What was it about? Or are the wounds still too tender?
Some blue text or other made a single off-hand comment that the May releases were going to be "mind blowing." After a horde of GOGers mentally transformed that into "Lucasarts confirmed!" there was widespread disappointment when s/he turned out to merely be referring to the release of a few high-profile games (Wizardry 6-8).
Post edited August 20, 2013 by BadDecissions
BadDecissions: Some blue text or other made a single off-hand comment that the May releases were going to be "mind blowing." After a horde of GOGers mentally transformed that into "Lucasarts confirmed!" there was widespread disappointment when s/he turned out to merely be referring to the release of a few high-profile games (Wizardry).
Wasn't it also TurnipSlayer?
Even if it wasn't, I think we should make all of our lives a bit easier and just blame everything on GOG.com on Turnip. I'm pretty sure he was also responsible for the shutdown PR-stunt.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Fesin
BadDecissions: Some blue text or other made a single off-hand comment that the May releases were going to be "mind blowing." After a horde of GOGers mentally transformed that into "Lucasarts confirmed!" there was widespread disappointment when s/he turned out to merely be referring to the release of a few high-profile games (Wizardry).
Fesin: Wasn't it also TurnipSlayer?
Even if it wasn't, I think we should make all of our lives a bit easier and just blame everything on GOG.com on Turnip. I'm pretty sure he was also responsible for the shutdown PR-stunt.
No no, it was G-Doc. They're both good people.
BadDecissions: Some blue text or other made a single off-hand comment that the May releases were going to be "mind blowing." After a horde of GOGers mentally transformed that into "Lucasarts confirmed!" there was widespread disappointment when s/he turned out to merely be referring to the release of a few high-profile games (Wizardry 6-8).
Thanks, and I can see how that might've got out of hand with an excitable audience. Hyperbole has its uses, but the dosage should be measured.
I think May was good, Wizardry was worth it.

Also what happened to the other 2 new Interplay titles that were supposed to be showing up?
Crosmando:
The most likely scenarios that I can imagine happening are either saving them for a real slump, or performance on some test computers were crazy enough to delay them for further tweaking.

Speaking of this game, I got this game on clearance at a bookstore years ago and just realized I had it on Steam. I really don't miss the days when buying a physical copy still meant having to download the entire game.
Crosmando:
ShadowWulfe: The most likely scenarios that I can imagine happening are either saving them for a real slump, or performance on some test computers were crazy enough to delay them for further tweaking.

Speaking of this game, I got this game on clearance at a bookstore years ago and just realized I had it on Steam. I really don't miss the days when buying a physical copy still meant having to download the entire game.
I miss those Big Boxes PC games use to come in. Also on topic glad to have this game here was eyeing it on Gamersgate for awhile but i had the first game here. Glad i decided to wait thanks GOG.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by GaminggUy45
GaminggUy45:
Yeah, that I miss. Creative manual writing too. Creative strategy guides.
The buy a box to get a Steam key. Definitely do not miss.