It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"Krzyżacy" ("The Teutonic Knights") by Henryk Sienkiewicz
I've never ever touched it during school years even though it was a required reading. But now I can read it without anybody forcing me to do it (ha! take that education!). The sad thing is that I already know more or less what happens in the book (thank you school and TV for friggin spoilers) so I can't enjoy it fully...
Started the German translation of "The Martian" by Andy Weir today.
viperfdl: Started the German translation of "The Martian" by Andy Weir today.
You're in for a ride. It's my favorite book ever. I read it in english, though, so I hope the german version is well made. Lots and lots of technical - and probably hard to translate - details in the book.

So... I'm at 25% of Peter Pan in Scarlet and I'm enjoying it. Two problems though...
1 - The author tries too hard to emulate the original book author's innocence and ingenuity. Quoting that girl from that movie: "stop trying to make this happen, it's not gonna happen."
2 - They changed Tootles to a girl!!! The most iconic lost boy is now a girl! Gah, I know the first problem should be the serious one but this one really bugs me.

Comic books: I added the masterful Don Rosa to my back log. His Disney comics are second to no one, including Carl Barks. No more additions for a long, long time. This time I swear!
The Francois Lepine collection. Now with the japanese dictionary "Yarxi", i am finally about to master Kuji Kiri and majutsu, once and for all! Time to make some kanji talismans too and replace rune carving with "authentic" japanese spell tags!
Star Wars Darth Plagueis by James Lucenno
I'm reading a series called SNAFU, they're anthologies of military horror. The quality is very uneven but since I'm a Kindle Unlimited subscriber I read them for free (except for the subscription price).

I'm not sure what I'll read afterward, maybe some non fiction or perhaps I'll re-read "Rendez vous with Rama" which I've read about 35 years ago.

Edit: By quality I mostly mean how much I like the stories.
Post edited January 14, 2016 by justanoldgamer
Currently reading Full Moon O Sagashite, by Arina Tanemura. It's a great shoujo manga, recommended to any shoujo manga fan. The artwork is absolutely STUNNING.
Post edited January 14, 2016 by bushidoukitsune
A friend lent me The Neverending Story which I'm thinking of starting with tonight. Remarkably I still haven't seen the film, and for no good reason either. I'm sure I'll love it, but now that I want to read the book I'm kind of glad that I haven't seen it yet.
Andremop: On the book side:

Ok, finishing Children of Dune, only 6% left.
Great book. Everybody is a conspirator against everybody, And they're all very good conspirators. It makes the book full of intrigue and hidden motivations. After the "disappointment" (tiny) of Dune Messiah, this one puts the series back on track. No wonder it's the best selling book in the series after the first Dune. Highly reccommended if you read the first two books.

Oh? That's good to hear. I absolutely loved the first book, but couldn't really get into Messiah. Guess I'll just power through it one week to get to Children then.

The problem with the Dune books though, in contrast to most anything else, is that it just doesn't feel right to read them in rainy weather :P
Post edited January 14, 2016 by Matewis
justanoldgamer: I'm reading a series called SNAFU, they're anthologies of military horror. The quality is very uneven but since I'm a Kindle Unlimited subscriber I read them for free (except for the subscription price).

I'm not sure what I'll read afterward, maybe some non fiction or perhaps I'll re-read "Rendez vous with Rama" which I've read about 35 years ago.

Edit: By quality I mostly mean how much I like the stories.
I've always wanted to read Rama. Everything I read that won both the Nebula and Hugo award - only Dune and Ringworld though - is incredible. I mean, really incredible.

I know 35 years is a lot to ask of one's memory, but would you recommend it?
'1984'

Man, things were a lot different back then.
Matewis: A friend lent me The Neverending Story which I'm thinking of starting with tonight. Remarkably I still haven't seen the film, and for no good reason either. I'm sure I'll love it, but now that I want to read the book I'm kind of glad that I haven't seen it yet.
Andremop:
Matewis: Oh? That's good to hear. I absolutely loved the first book, but couldn't really get into Messiah. Guess I'll just power through it one week to get to Children then.

The problem with the Dune books though, in contrast to most anything else, is that it just doesn't feel right to read them in rainy weather :P
Yeah, don't expect another Dune - it really isn't - and you'll be fine with it.
Also, it's true, Dune and Rain literally don't go well together :P.
Andremop: I've always wanted to read Rama. Everything I read that won both the Nebula and Hugo award - only Dune and Ringworld though - is incredible. I mean, really incredible.

I know 35 years is a lot to ask of one's memory, but would you recommend it?
I can't remember and Arthur C. Clarke story I did not like but I was a teenager when I read them. I used to love Asimov but I've tried re-reading "I Robot" and "Foundation" and did not like them anymore. So a tentative yes to your question.
drealmer7: A new friend recommended/lent me a book by Gene Wolfe (who I'd never heard of) called "The Fifth Head of Cerebus" which is actually 3 short novellas. So far I'm not liking it at all.
Brasas: Ah! That one! :)

I jumped into that straight from the Torturer and New Urth books. 5th Head must have been one of the first english books I bought and read... I should revisit it now I'm older, but I remember being left scratching my head mostly.

Say more when / if you finish it. That really brought back memories. :)
I couldn't get through it. I found the writing pretty atrocious and eventually gave up on it.

So, now I started The Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It grabbed me and I'm liking it so far but we'll see if I keep with it.
HereForTheBeer: "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.

Before that was "Trigger Warning" by Neil Gaiman

Not sure where I'm headed after this.
I'd like to recommend to you "Dhalgren" by Samuel R. Delaney.
Post edited January 15, 2016 by drealmer7
HereForTheBeer: "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.

Before that was "Trigger Warning" by Neil Gaiman

Not sure where I'm headed after this.
drealmer7: I'd like to recommend to you "Dhalgren" by Samuel R. Delaney.
Thanks - added to my list. Which of the two in my post has you making that recommendation?

Edit: looked it up. Sounds like a Gaiman-esque book.
Post edited January 15, 2016 by HereForTheBeer
drealmer7: I'd like to recommend to you "Dhalgren" by Samuel R. Delaney.
HereForTheBeer: Thanks - added to my list. Which of the two in my post has you making that recommendation?

Edit: looked it up. Sounds like a Gaiman-esque book.
Both, really. It's way more mature than Gaiman's writing, but sci-fi heavy, and complex like Stephenson's, and real-issue heavy.