It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

probably sounds dumb, but I read "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. It was a pretty good book in my opinion.
menganogog: After I finished this book, I've to say it is very enjoyable since we have a classic pirates adventure here, with an interesting using of voodoo magic. If you like Monkey Island plot or adventure books take a look of this.
Thank you again for recommending "on Stranger Tides", I found the Hungarian edition heavily discounted not so long ago, so immediately purchased it. And I really enjoyed it. At first I thought the voodoo magic would be a bit too much, but by the end I realised it was one of the pillars of the book, that made it unique.

For the sake of archiving my past readings:
- The Hector Lynch-trilogy (Corsair, Buccaneer, Pirate) by Tim Severin
- The Dance of Pirates by John Caldwell (in Hungarian)
- On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers (in Hungarian)
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (In Hungarian)
- In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin (in Hungarian)
- Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (in Hungarian)
- Ghost Brigade and The Last Colony by John Scalzi (in Hungarian)
"Anathem" by Neal Stephenson.

Before that was "Trigger Warning" by Neil Gaiman

Not sure where I'm headed after this.
Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

I enjoyed 2033, and in this sequel, the writing seems better.

I think I'll look for Roadside Picnic next.
The last three were
Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose in German
Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards! in English
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - The Sorrows of Young Werther vol.1 in German

currently
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - The Sorrows of Young Werther vol.2 in German
JDelekto: probably sounds dumb, but I read "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. It was a pretty good book in my opinion.
I'm slightly disappointed you didn't follow my example and write some outlandishly long-winded review about it.
menganogog: After I finished this book, I've to say it is very enjoyable since we have a classic pirates adventure here, with an interesting using of voodoo magic. If you like Monkey Island plot or adventure books take a look of this.
pirateoftheah: Thank you again for recommending "on Stranger Tides", I found the Hungarian edition heavily discounted not so long ago, so immediately purchased it. And I really enjoyed it. At first I thought the voodoo magic would be a bit too much, but by the end I realised it was one of the pillars of the book, that made it unique.

For the sake of archiving my past readings:
- The Hector Lynch-trilogy (Corsair, Buccaneer, Pirate) by Tim Severin
- The Dance of Pirates by John Caldwell (in Hungarian)
- On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers (in Hungarian)
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (In Hungarian)
- In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin (in Hungarian)
- Little Big Man by Thomas Berger (in Hungarian)
- Ghost Brigade and The Last Colony by John Scalzi (in Hungarian)
Happy you enjoyed ''On Strange Tides''. I'm agree with you about using of vodoo magic in the book. Powers uses it lightly, without being too explicit and it is a wise choice. Now I have pending ''The Drawing of the Dark'' by Tim Powers too.
JDelekto: probably sounds dumb, but I read "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. It was a pretty good book in my opinion.
zeogold: I'm slightly disappointed you didn't follow my example and write some outlandishly long-winded review about it.
I don't have the *gift* :)
zeogold: I'm slightly disappointed you didn't follow my example and write some outlandishly long-winded review about it.
JDelekto: I don't have the *gift* :)
I'm tempted to do it for you, and entirely in rhyme.
Just finished Devil's Food, the third crime novel about a female baker who happens to solve crimes. Rather light-hearted and cozy, with the crime stuff often being cast into the background due the the invention of a new muffin. The series take place in a tight-knit appartment block, which gives it a sit-com feel. Most modern crime novels are mind-numbing 'realistic', with the protagonist being divorced and depressed. This book is a nice change from that.
grimwerk: Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

I was reading game reviews during this past sale, and one mentioned this book. So I picked up the book rather than the game. It's a curious setting. I wonder how true it is to the present Moscow Metro. I'm tempted to look at a map-- not one specifically drawn for the game or book, as I worry that may spoil something.
There is one available from the author. It is not required but helps with the topology. It does not spoil anything.

http://www.ipad-ebooks-online.com/76/Images/book_img_0.jpg
As much as I'd love to join this thread since I love literature, it feels more like just a thread about posting books rather than discussing them. Anybody gonna make a thread for that, or am I gonna have to do it myself?
grimwerk: Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

I was reading game reviews during this past sale, and one mentioned this book. So I picked up the book rather than the game. It's a curious setting. I wonder how true it is to the present Moscow Metro. I'm tempted to look at a map-- not one specifically drawn for the game or book, as I worry that may spoil something.
Carradice: There is one available from the author. It is not required but helps with the topology. It does not spoil anything.

http://www.ipad-ebooks-online.com/76/Images/book_img_0.jpg
That's great! Thank you.
I just finished The Verdant Passage: Prism Pentad Book 1 by Troy Denning - yes, the guy that writes tons of star wars books.

This is a D&D Dark Sun book and since I'm a sucker for RPG books I keep reading them even though most of them aren't very good. This one follows this rule, it's just ok.

Next up on my backlog, Children of Dune - the first Dune is my favorite book ever - along witha new one, The Martian. The second book, Dune Messiah was not nearly as good, but since I started, I'm finishing the original series.

ANYWAY... this thread is great, let's try to keep it even more alive!

Some GREAT books have been mentioned, especially Huckleberry Finn and the Terry Prachett - RIP - books.
BTW, do you guys read on kindle or are old school paper lovers?
Post edited December 31, 2015 by Andremop
The "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" - I thought it was pretty groundbreaking when I first read it a few decades back, but reading it now, while pedagogically it's a great concept, it doesn't really deliver.

I.e., if I weren't using it as a refresher, I think I'd be pretty lost. Later additions like "Idiot's guide to..." and Khan academy just are better at introducing and clarifying concepts.

It's the only book I brought along on this trip, so I'll probably keep reading it in bed, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.