It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ScotchMonkey: Hey anyone got a backlog of 10+ books or am I the only one?
Well, I've just counted my to-read-pile yesterday and there's around 40 books in there, not counting comic books and magazines. So, no you're not alone.
ScotchMonkey: Hero by Daniel R Kerns

Just a light Sci Fi pulp.

Sci Fi as opposed to Science fiction (like Foundation or Dune which have actual scientific elements and examine the human condition in a future setting in relation to technology).
Siegor: Stephen king's "Cell". I was actually enjoying it until the infected people developed telepathic powers.
We get it, you like psychic powers but there's no need to put them in every freaking book.
ScotchMonkey: Yeah that happens like a lot.

I would still like to read Gunslinger though.

Hey anyone got a backlog of 10+ books or am I the only one?
Hm, if you mean with backlog the books you own, well, then my backlog is a bit bigger, since I own about 1000 books, and they are physical, no DRMed digital editions.

What I read now? Well, I`m used to reading more than one book at a time, but the book that`s the most interesting in the moment is: "History of Bavaria From the beginnings to the present".
Ah much better now. Though I am still afraid to count them
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I'm only 5 chapters in but it's looking good.
Finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

First of all it is disgusting. The author is very innovative and has a wild fantasy, but for me some of the creatures are simply disgusting. (I have to admit that before I purchased it I had only known that it had been regarded as a very good book and had no idea about that it was a horror book similar to Lovecraft's and Cthulhu books.)
But apart from that the story is builded up very well, although the introductory part is very long (about half of the book), but when the action scenes start it becomes very intense and exciting. It is a very good point that the main protagonists are not heroic characters (a renegate scientist and a rebellious artist), so they become much more real. As a contrast they can be hated too, because they rarely act at the critical moments, but "freeze" and do nothing. To tell the truth probably I would do the same when a monster comes at me to lick my brain. Maybe the characters can be hated for not acting, but from another viewpoint their motives are described very well, for example the longing for flying.
As a whole the atmosphere of the book is very unique, the steampunk and horror elements are mixed well (the description of the city and its citizens are great), so in overall it's a good book with some parts that were not for my taste.
I believe at last count I had close to 400 in the backlog, so no, you're not alone.

Currently re-reading Chapterhouse Dune. Not sure where I'm going after this one.
Today I'll be wrapping up "Variable Star" by Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson.

Outlined by Heinlein before he died, and then taken up and written by Spider Robinson. Gotta say, definitely has the 'voice' of Heinlein. If I didn't know better, I'd say Heinlein time traveled to 2006 to write the book and then went back in time to die in 1988. But it's better in at least one way, since Heinlein had a tendency (not always, but quite often) to make his heroes impossibly perfect and clever, whereas our protagonist here is certainly flawed.

After I finish that I have "Raylan", by Elmore Leonard, waiting for me.
pirateoftheah: Finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

First of all it is disgusting. The author is very innovative and has a wild fantasy, but for me some of the creatures are simply disgusting. (I have to admit that before I purchased it I had only known that it had been regarded as a very good book and had no idea about that it was a horror book similar to Lovecraft's and Cthulhu books.)
But apart from that the story is builded up very well, although the introductory part is very long (about half of the book), but when the action scenes start it becomes very intense and exciting. It is a very good point that the main protagonists are not heroic characters (a renegate scientist and a rebellious artist), so they become much more real. As a contrast they can be hated too, because they rarely act at the critical moments, but "freeze" and do nothing. To tell the truth probably I would do the same when a monster comes at me to lick my brain. Maybe the characters can be hated for not acting, but from another viewpoint their motives are described very well, for example the longing for flying.
As a whole the atmosphere of the book is very unique, the steampunk and horror elements are mixed well (the description of the city and its citizens are great), so in overall it's a good book with some parts that were not for my taste.
It's brilliant, but I do admit that when I finally figured out what a Khepri woman would look like I kind of wish I hadn't.
GR00T: I believe at last count I had close to 400 in the backlog, so no, you're not alone.

Currently re-reading Chapterhouse Dune. Not sure where I'm going after this one.
Dune takes up quite a long section of my shelf. I even read the 6 prequals from Brian Herbert. You can take them or leave them I suppose.
ScotchMonkey: Dune takes up quite a long section of my shelf. I even read the 6 prequals from Brian Herbert. You can take them or leave them I suppose.
I read House Atreides and House Harkonnen, but couldn't bring myself to read any of the others. I'm thinking I may pick up Hunters and Sandworms simply to see how Frank Herbert (supposedly) intended to finish the series.
ScotchMonkey: Dune takes up quite a long section of my shelf. I even read the 6 prequals from Brian Herbert. You can take them or leave them I suppose.
GR00T: I read House Atreides and House Harkonnen, but couldn't bring myself to read any of the others. I'm thinking I may pick up Hunters and Sandworms simply to see how Frank Herbert (supposedly) intended to finish the series.
From what I heard it is best to just read a synopsis.

I know FB is a hard legacy to live up to but jeez. Brian is one apple that fell way off the tree.

Though I really had a romp with House Atreides, but I took it in the context of a Sci Fy adventure set in the Dune universe and not an actual Science Fiction novel.
ScotchMonkey: From what I heard it is best to just read a synopsis.
Yeah, that's probably best, but I think I can get them from the local library. So I may give it a shot that way. If it's too painful, I'll probably just break down and google the plot lines.

ScotchMonkey: I know FB is a hard legacy to live up to but jeez. Brian is one apple that fell way off the tree.
Yeah, I didn't expect a duplicate of Frank, but ye gods, the difference is shocking.
No, I've some 350+ on my to-read list at Goodreads. Problem is that I read very slow (partially on purpose) and for every book I finish there's at least 5 or so I find by researching similar themes. I avoid large book series other than trilogies though and I believe with age and increased demand for quality writing will reduce a great deal that I otherwise might have read.
pirateoftheah: Finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
Cbob60: It's brilliant, but I do admit that when I finally figured out what a Khepri woman would look like I kind of wish I hadn't.
:)
It requires a strange taste to like Khepri women. Honestly I did not even try to imagine as they chew and spit and must look odd, but the Khepri parts were amazing, especially when it describes how Lin escaped from her own community.
Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce by Stanley Weinthrub

On and off for five years and I'm kicking my self for not reading it through sooner.
Post edited March 01, 2016 by ScotchMonkey