It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

NuffCatnip: You didnt like The Shining ?
Andremop: I said I didn't watched it in the previous post. I know, I know, it's a must see movie, but I'm not finding time to anything besides reading and playing computer games. Books and adventure games take a lot ot time!
Oops, misread your whole post, sorry. :)
Andremop: Stephen King must be one hell of a writer because people keep lining up for his books and reading them. In every book thread I follow he's present at least once per page.

I never read anything from him but I always wonder: why every movie/TV/Comic book adaptation from his works suck real hard.

Granted, I've never watched The Shining, which I hear is good, but then again it's Kubrick, but everything else I've seen from him was either bad or comically bad. Christine, Langoliers (ugh), Tommyknockers, Dreamcatcher (uuughh), IT, the Dark Tower Comic book... all this puts me off of starting reading the guy.

I mean, it must be the producers fault, not the author.... right?

Anyway, finishing up Children of Dune. I appreciate suggestions for my next book, preferably a classic or in the fantasy/sci fi genre. It's either that or another D&D book...
He's not the best writer and his horror/weird stories don't translate well to the screen. That being said, I love his books, but I know there are plenty of people that think he's just a hack and hate him.

The stories/books that did translate reasonably well to the big screen, IMO, are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
Misery
Andremop:
GR00T: He's not the best writer and his horror/weird stories don't translate well to the screen. That being said, I love his books, but I know there are plenty of people that think he's just a hack and hate him.

The stories/books that did translate reasonably well to the big screen, IMO, are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
Misery
Oh, yeah... those first 3 movies are great, especially The Shawshank Redemption. Never watched Misery though, maybe some other time.

OK, I stand corrected then. Not ALL adaptations of his works are bad. Just some.
Andremop: Just most.
Fixed that. :P
The Shining by Stephen King
Just finished these books:
The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett
The Female Man - Joanna Russ
Inherent Vice - Thomas Pynchon
How Late It Was, How Late - James Kelman
War of the Worlds
Finished "Eureka Street" by Robert McLiam Wilson.
A good book i can easily reccomend.
Gateway2006: Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Carradice: Good one, follow it with the Fall of Hyperion!

Then, if you really like it, you may go on with the Endymion couplet. It does not disappoint.
I am now following it with Fall what a great series this is!
Deutschland im Blaulicht (English: Germany in blue light) by Tania Kambouri
Post edited January 10, 2016 by viperfdl
On the book side:

Ok, finishing Children of Dune, only 6% left.
Great book. Everybody is a conspirator against everybody, And they're all very good conspirators. It makes the book full of intrigue and hidden motivations. After the "disappointment" (tiny) of Dune Messiah, this one puts the series back on track. No wonder it's the best selling book in the series after the first Dune. Highly reccommended if you read the first two books.

My next book is going to be (since there were no recommendations :( ), surprise surprise...
Peter Pan in Scarlet! I love the original Peter and Wendy book and hear some good things (and some bad) about this one, the official sequel. Probably won't be as good, how can it?, but I hope for a good book.

On the comic book side:

Goddamit, I just added a lot of stuff to my already huge comic backlog.
I was already reading Cerebus, Concrete, Groo, Invincible, Savage Dragon, Strangers in Paradise and Usagi Yojimbo. Now I added a bunch more, mostly europeans classics: Tintin, Asterix, Iznougoud and Lucky Luke. That's it, no more additions till 2017, or 18.
Nobody here reads comics?
Post edited January 10, 2016 by Andremop
I just finished The Children of Hurin and it was amazing. Possibly my favourite work by Tolkien actually.

Currently reading Down Under by Bill Bryson. Something lighter and closer to home before I tackle A Short History of Nearly Everything and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.
arrjayjee: I just finished The Children of Hurin and it was amazing. Possibly my favourite work by Tolkien actually.

Currently reading Down Under by Bill Bryson. Something lighter and closer to home before I tackle A Short History of Nearly Everything and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.
One of my favorite books of all time. Enjoy.
The first chapter will hook you for life and show you how tiny anything is compared to... well, everything.

Gah, now you made me want to read it again.
Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's eye.
Finished reading this Italian anthology of (American) sci-fi short stories from the Sixties. 5/5, the book features authors like Dick, Bradbury, Matheson, Asimov, and classic stories like Flowers for Algernon, The Veldt (Bradbury) etc.