It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: Forget marriage, have a committed relationship if you find someone special but marriage is usually a screw job for the person with the Y chromosome.
hedwards: From personal experience, a substantial portion of the female populace is comprised of the sorts of pigs that a lot of women decry men for being, but with the added feature of being sanctimonious about how men are scum.

The purpose of the ring is that if you happen to be fortunate enough to find a woman that isn't a complete pig to try and lock that in for a good long while.

And yes, there's a lot of men that are pigs, it's just that they're decent enough not to pretend like they're any better than women in that regard.

Make sense. Thanks for telling me about this. Much appreciated it.
hedwards: From personal experience, a substantial portion of the female populace is comprised of the sorts of pigs that a lot of women decry men for being, but with the added feature of being sanctimonious about how men are scum.

The purpose of the ring is that if you happen to be fortunate enough to find a woman that isn't a complete pig to try and lock that in for a good long while.

And yes, there's a lot of men that are pigs, it's just that they're decent enough not to pretend like they're any better than women in that regard.
orcishgamer: I can say this, you usually are in no state to judge a woman's character by the time you decide to marry her, even if you date for a few years. Besides all that, they can change after the fact, I've seen that happen to a lot of guys.

Remember, in a divorce, the male's marriage contributions tend to continue to her (court enforced too) while all her obligations to you end. And courts aren't so fast to enforce parenting time unless you force them by hiring an attorney (again) and having them get in judge's face.

Obviously there are divorces that end unfairly in the man's favor, but they are much rarer. 70% of all divorces are initiated by women in the US. Statistically men aren't any more abusive and cheat no more than women, so that tells you that the general feeling on both sides is that divorce is much safer for women.
Another good reason for me not to get married. 70 percent! X.X

That mean if I'm to be married, I'm getting screwed no matter what.

All I want is playing games, watching anime/movies, cosplaying, going to anime conventions, reading books/manga, and just mellow around.

I fear that I may not do those stuff if I'm married. :(
Post edited February 21, 2011 by MGShogun
MGShogun: Another good reason for me not to get married. 70 percent! X.X

All I want is playing games, watching anime/movies, cosplaying, going to anime conventions, reading books/manga, and just mellow around.

Just find a cool, geek chick, hang out while it's fun and move on when it sucks. Nothing rational states it is better for you to stay with one person for 60+ years. I swear some people stay married because they don't want to die alone. I've got news, half of them will die alone anyway (roughly). It's best to make your peace with death while young, make a plan to enjoy life. Don't do the longsuffering thing hoping for some reward down the road (or in some sort of fantasy "next life").

Careful though, some chicks like to destroy, steal, or sell your most prized stuff when they leave (I've heard of guys doing this too, never seen it myself though, I have no idea in which sex it's more common, my anecdotal experience says women, but that's anecdotal). If you have some prize stuff (like every issue of Detective Comics or something) make sure it's well protected.
MGShogun: Another good reason for me not to get married. 70 percent! X.X

orcishgamer: Just find a cool, geek chick, hang out while it's fun and move on when it sucks. Nothing rational states it is better for you to stay with one person for 60+ years. I swear some people stay married because they don't want to die alone. I've got news, half of them will die alone anyway (roughly). It's best to make your peace with death while young, make a plan to enjoy life. Don't do the longsuffering thing hoping for some reward down the road (or in some sort of fantasy "next life").

Careful though, some chicks like to destroy, steal, or sell your most prized stuff when they leave (I've heard of guys doing this too, never seen it myself though, I have no idea in which sex it's more common, my anecdotal experience says women, but that's anecdotal). If you have some prize stuff (like every issue of Detective Comics or something) make sure it's well protected.
Will find cool geek chick. Thanks for your word of advice. I truly appreciated it a lot. You have no idea how much it mean to me. I'm not going to do longsuffering thing for some reward and I think I have made a peace with death now so I'm okay.

I will heed your words about chicks like to messed up the prize stuff. I have quite few possessions that that are very dear to me so I'll be sure to protect them with extreme prejudice.
orcishgamer: Just find a cool, geek chick, hang out while it's fun and move on when it sucks. Nothing rational states it is better for you to stay with one person for 60+ years. I swear some people stay married because they don't want to die alone. I've got news, half of them will die alone anyway (roughly). It's best to make your peace with death while young, make a plan to enjoy life. Don't do the longsuffering thing hoping for some reward down the road (or in some sort of fantasy "next life").

MGShogun: Will find cool geek chick. Thanks for your word of advice. I truly appreciated it a lot. You have no idea how much it mean to me. I'm not going to do longsuffering thing for some reward and I think I have made a peace with death now so I'm okay.

I will heed your words about chicks like to messed up the prize stuff. I have quite few possessions that that are very dear to me so I'll be sure to protect them with extreme prejudice.
WTF?

Worst piece of advice I've ever heard.

Forget all of it.

Find someone who accepts you for who you are, do the same for them. Respect each others freedom to do other things seperately, and all should be sweet.

And there is no game plan, life's too unpredictable to plot a course without heading in another direction.
fml... get ready to leave the country=meet an awesome chick... who may not always be this kick ass
I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to blame women, I'd point the finger more at feminists in particular for being incapable as a group of acknowledging that women do get unfair advantages in some areas. Plus, the parents that raise their daughters to be self entitled brats. And the men willing to put up with whatever just to get sex.

At the end of the day, if you're not capable of communicating clearly and effectively with somebody, you should not be marrying them. Doesn't matter what genders you're dealing with, if you can't communicate you're going to learn, have a miserable marriage or more likely get a divorce.

The main reason why so many women initiate divorces is quite simply that they probably weren't realistic about to expect in the first place. A shocking number of men don't see it coming because nobody bothered to tell them that their marriage was in trouble.
hedwards: I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to blame women, I'd point the finger more at feminists in particular for being incapable as a group of acknowledging that women do get unfair advantages in some areas. Plus, the parents that raise their daughters to be self entitled brats. And the men willing to put up with whatever just to get sex.

At the end of the day, if you're not capable of communicating clearly and effectively with somebody, you should not be marrying them. Doesn't matter what genders you're dealing with, if you can't communicate you're going to learn, have a miserable marriage or more likely get a divorce.

The main reason why so many women initiate divorces is quite simply that they probably weren't realistic about to expect in the first place. A shocking number of men don't see it coming because nobody bothered to tell them that their marriage was in trouble.
o.O

Well said, Hedwards.
Sorry, but I have to agree, there is some pretty bad advice going on here. Just because the divorce rate is high does not mean you should completely write off marriage. A majority of people these days simply give up on marriage because they don't understand the concept of communicating and compromise. Others, such as many of my friends, are just rushing into it before they even know the person all that well.

If you find the right person, it can be worthwhile. My granparents were happily married for over 65 years, and my parents over 20. The only reason it is not more is because two of them passed away. Find someone who is compatible with you, and it can definitely be worthwhile spending the rest of your life with them. Don't settle for someone or rush into a relationship just for a good time. Working to find the right person can be well worth the reward of finding a life-long companion.
Kurina: Sorry, but I have to agree, there is some pretty bad advice going on here. Just because the divorce rate is high does not mean you should completely write off marriage. A majority of people these days simply give up on marriage because they don't understand the concept of communicating and compromise. Others, such as many of my friends, are just rushing into it before they even know the person all that well.

If you find the right person, it can be worthwhile. My granparents were happily married for over 65 years, and my parents over 20. The only reason it is not more is because two of them passed away. Find someone who is compatible with you, and it can definitely be worthwhile spending the rest of your life with them. Don't settle for someone or rush into a relationship just for a good time. Working to find the right person can be well worth the reward of finding a life-long companion.
The thing is that marriage requires effective communications skills and a lot of work to be worthwhile. Anybody that's not will or able to communicate when they're not happy about an aspect of marriage and negotiate for a resolution isn't likely to end up happily married.

Personally, I've been really unlucky in terms of the way that women treat me. It's increasingly frustrating to be asked to do all the portions of a relationship without the actual benefits of being in one. I've gotten to the point where I'm not willing to do it anymore because there's nothing in it for me.

Which is a shame, because I did like it, it's just that in the long run I'll end up alone because the concept of marriage doesn't allow for that kind of thing with anybody you're not married to.
Runehamster: o.O

Well said, Hedwards.
Thanks, but to be fair, it's sort of my fault that things veered off in this direction. Not sure I was expecting that, but then again, I wasn't really expecting a sort of Spanish Inquisition.
Post edited February 21, 2011 by hedwards
It is always nice realising that someone whom you would never suspect (because you helped her quite a lot, like in my case) spreads bullshit at work that your girlfriend sleeps with you for money like a slut.
Rohan15: My friend from grade school got engaged to a man who is her cousin (She's 17, he's 19, and they have no idea.), got pregnant, and is now living with him. Stupid stupid stupid.
deathknight1728: I believe it. I believe almost anything nowadays. You know what it is, people's values are shot completely down. All young kids nowadays do is drugs, getting wasted and getting knocked up. What i do is laugh at them while they do all 3.

My cousin got knocked up by a black guy when she was 18. She now has a little girl who is 3. The girl is the nicest little girl ever. Cute, nice, never cries. Of course, the black guy decides to be an asshole and while the baby is 1, he steals my aunts car to go to pennsylvania and do drugs. I still dont know why he did it. He propably doesnt either. Of course he's out of the picture now. Im hoping he od's, although he probably will.
I don't do drugs, drink, or fuck.
deathknight1728: I believe it. I believe almost anything nowadays. You know what it is, people's values are shot completely down. All young kids nowadays do is drugs, getting wasted and getting knocked up. What i do is laugh at them while they do all 3.

My cousin got knocked up by a black guy when she was 18. She now has a little girl who is 3. The girl is the nicest little girl ever. Cute, nice, never cries. Of course, the black guy decides to be an asshole and while the baby is 1, he steals my aunts car to go to pennsylvania and do drugs. I still dont know why he did it. He propably doesnt either. Of course he's out of the picture now. Im hoping he od's, although he probably will.
Rohan15: I don't do drugs, drink, or fuck.
You are one of the few. But seriously thats commendable as most people arent like that. Especially in New Jersey, where i live. I remember when i was sitting in science class with Ashley Youmans (now famously known as Ashley Dupre), 12 years ago. There's definitely a lot of real winners that surround you, even if you dont know it.
Shalgroth: Find someone who accepts you for who you are, do the same for them. Respect each others freedom to do other things seperately, and all should be sweet.
Thats the advice to listen to for all relationships includuing friends. I've always said when you feel like you have to hide aspects of your personality or feel like you're being judged on them, its more trouble than its worth
Shalgroth: Find someone who accepts you for who you are, do the same for them. Respect each others freedom to do other things seperately, and all should be sweet.
Aliasalpha: Thats the advice to listen to for all relationships includuing friends. I've always said when you feel like you have to hide aspects of your personality or feel like you're being judged on them, its more trouble than its worth
Unfortunately, a relationship's success is highly dependent on the maturity of both partners.

That's pretty tough when even one of them being mature is beating some very long odds. Especially if either is young or has had a life that has failed to throw them enough serious curves to shake them out of their various stupors.
Aliasalpha: Thats the advice to listen to for all relationships includuing friends. I've always said when you feel like you have to hide aspects of your personality or feel like you're being judged on them, its more trouble than its worth
On the other hand, if you enjoy pulling the legs off of butterflies and loading the butterflies into homemade rubber-band catapults and pelting your elderly neighbors with the corpses, you should probably wait to share that until the second or third date.