It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's turn the page.

Visual Novels have arrived on GOG.com! Our first selection includes acclaimed games, revered for their intricate artwork and stimulating stories, up to 66% off until May 29, 1pm UTC.

Higurashi When They Cry Chapters 1-5 (25% off): Spawning a popular anime and manga series, Higurashi is a "sound novel", where meticulously designed audio plays a crucial part in these unique stories. Chapters 1-5 are available today, with Chapter 6 slated for release in the near future.

fault (50% off): Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of pulp sci-fi and a dash of fantasy to weave a powerful cinematic story about the human condition. These two episodes of the ongoing series star the perky princess Selphine and her sarcastic guardian Ritona, as they desperately try to make their way back to their homeland.

Sunrider series (66% off): An alternate universe, intergalactic strife, mech combat, high school, and love all around. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free!), Liberation Day, and Sunrider Academy are a beloved and unique mix of strategy, romance, and visual novel. De-censor patch optional, but come on.

eden* (66% off): Stock up on tissues. This critically-acclaimed love story on a dying planet is a real tear-jerker told with stunning cinematic flair. Humanity is about to be wiped out by a red star but this story is destined to stick around for much longer.
low rated
Lucian_Galca: Seeing as how we just got a bunch of visual novels/dating sims, I have a request, and that's Dream Daddy. Vote below...

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dream_daddy
Dream Daddy is a game about you being a hot single dad and dating other hot dads (and one mom). It doesn't involve child rape, incestuous or otherwise, and thus wouldn't fit with the current GOG lineup.
Ilona: ...and ofcourse more store FILTERS to hide already owned items and clean up the mess.
Thank you.
You can either wait for GOG to implement this ... and experience is telling me that you'll have to wait a loooong time - or simply use this
great script. While you are on it improving your GOG experience you could also install this script which is just as great as the first one and you won't recognize GOG again. In fact you will ask yourself how you could live without them - I know I do :)

(Hyperlink handling still completely broken - so please don't complain about the strange look of this post)
Post edited May 23, 2018 by MarkoH01
low rated
bigbossbalrog: People who bitch about being downvoted are hilariously silly. There's plenty of all age VN"s.

Most looking forward to Sono Hanabira!
lostwolfe: all ages.

those thumbnails from the videos on gog's news page.

my work here is done.

i mean, just look at them. look at the people in the pictures. look at the suggestive poses they're in. look at the outfits they're wearing. you can't seriously tell me - just from a casual glance at those still images that they're NOT trying to sell based on "sex appeal." they absolutely are. there is /absolutely/ an argument to be made for "all ages" visual novels. and as i said in my original post - which you quoted verbatim - i have no problem with visual novels per se. i am COMPLETELY on board the to the moon train. to the moon is essentially a vn with very occasional bits of interactivity. i am on board with 80 days, which is basically a RIDICULOUSLY stylish and pleasantly well-written vn with path-choices. i am on board with "a mind forever voyaging" which is - basically the world's first walking simulator. i LOVE good stories in games. but again. just looking at these still images from the news page there's...no real way to misconstrue what they're trying to do: sell to you based on your hormonal reaction to those images.
Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE
Don't tell weeabos they just wanna see titties. As indicated by the downvote you got there, they're so insecure they can't even say it :-)
About time.

Good to see GOG step it up where Steam fails.
Post edited May 23, 2018 by Teppic
EnglishInfix: [..] I don't think DDLC would be a good fit for the first batch of VNs on GOG. It's a parody, and relies on the reader to understand how a generic VN is supposed to flow to truly "get" it. If the non-VN readers saw today's sale and clicked on the first free one because they didn't know if they liked the format or not, they might get the wrong idea.

Maybe they can get it later, but it shouldn't be now.
dennisg9: Oh by the way a side note, the community wrote some of the just released VNs here in the useless wishlist four (4) years ago so, it takes ages to see something published here you just want. The same with Cook, Serve, Delicious!. and then they suddenly appear here. I just want to get rid of Steam somehow but the huge delay here on Gog isn't helping. I just want all my games I have in one library or as close as possible lol
The main reason those things sometimes take so long in most cases is that it's simply not as easy as you might think to "get" a game listed here. I am pretty sure that GOG is aware of this "useless" wishlist. .In fact I am pretty sure they are watching it closely to see what the community wants. However wishing something and getting it is not as simple for GOG as asking the publisher and waiting for approvement. That's especially the case with older games were the legal situation often is unclear but sometimes also with newer ones which might have exclusive contracts, maybe for a limited time. All I want to say is that things might be much more complicated as we the buyers could imagine. So without knowing everything about the processes running in the background it's hard to judge.
SirYodaJedi: Edit 2: Bleh, links don’t work. Check Wikipedia for more info on Moe (slang).
Here's the link for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28slang%29

May want to skim the New Poster FAQ sticky:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/forum_faqs_new_to_the_forum_click_here/post2

I +1 in an attempt to get you up over the required rep score.

Hope this helps
XyleDaylight: As for the whole Valve censorship thing... GOG still didn't release Hatred or that Senran Kagura game. So they're not exactly heroes for games with sexy or controversial content. Let's hope this recent PR convinces them otherwise.
No, of course they are still no heroes and I don't think that was their intent. The whole PR is probably just a positive side effect since such negotiations normally won't happen in a few days. This whole Steam thing might as well just being a lucky coincidence. Anyways - I still don't think that Hatred will ever arrive here. I bought it on Steam only because it was not allowed to be sold in Germany (got it in a bundle afaik) and then I realized that it's simply just a pretty boring game which has not much to offer except from the contoversy. Even the gory execution scenes are getting old pretty quick. Of course this is also a purely subjective thing but imo many gamers said so.as well. So it might be that Hatred won't be released here simply because the game is not good.
Minuteworld: apperantly eden's a censored version of the game and I bought it without realising that and now am pissed. could someone tell me how to uncensor it? apperantley the expansion is missing too? could someone tell me how to get that too? I'll wait a few days to see if gog resolve this (probably not) but I would appreciate it regardless.

a suggestion for gog, if you put a japanese game or vn on gog that has uncensored content originally but it's censored and missing content, might I suggest to clarify that on the game's store page and if it it, upon installing the game, the installer ask you whether or not to play it censored/uncensored? that sounds easy.

also, paying 7 dollars for a vn on sale when it's usually almost 15 and then finding out later that it doesnt have all the content and lewdness is pretty disheartening.
You might have difficulties in getting what you want. I researched it a bit and it seems as if the devs are simply seeing the regular version and the uncensored version as being two different games - they even have slightly different names. They also already refused to offer an uncensor patch. See what they told Steam customers here.

Edit: Just saw that Impaler26 already mentioned this. I still will leave my post here because of the link to the devs post.
lostwolfe: i am not against adult themes in games [again, see my previous posts, here for games that i feel tackle adult subject matter - like death and dying and politics in an interesting way.] - but those still images skate right over the line for me.
Since you said that you don't have anything against adult themed games. May I ask you if this also applies to extremely brutal and unnecessary gory games? I mean those without any nudity in it but with much of violence in it.

Since this would mean that you hate people (in this case women) to be objectified inside a game or VN but you would not mind same people getting tortured and murdered inside a game or VN.

Imo the same thing applies to both kind of games or VNs. They aren't objectifying anything since we are simply not talking about real people. They are basically fantasy beings - I mean, come on. Did you ever see a woman looking the way they are drawn in such animes?
Lewd

(not that that's a bad thing)
Post edited May 23, 2018 by dragonbeast
Nice
GOG.com: Stock up on tissues.
KasperHviid: :-D
Ha ha, well spotted!
deleted
toxicTom: I really don't know what you mean. Maybe you should let off some... pressure.. if you see eroticism everywhere ;-)

Now honestly: The cover of StarWolves 2 (yuck! nipples!) ist more sexy than those... or Hyperdimension Neptunia...

It would be silly to buy a game just for that. Simply enter <name of game> HCG into the search engine of your choice...
lostwolfe: hcg?

i think you and i are seeing very different things in those images.

i am seeing a collection of thumbnails where [for the most part] the creator of the videos went out of their way to find the "cutest" girls they could in those games and then put them into awkward-ish positions.

you're not necessarily seeing that. but to me, it's there and it's clear what's going on.

that star wolves cover is fantastically awkward. would not buy.

i guess i should put it another way: i am against objectification. everything i've seen in those thumbnails is more-or-less about objectifying people.

i am not against adult themes in games [again, see my previous posts, here for games that i feel tackle adult subject matter - like death and dying and politics in an interesting way.] - but those still images skate right over the line for me.
Can someone tell me why objectification is wrong? I mean, think about it, characters are usually shallow in some regard. Why is it that sexual objectification is bad, but not moral, economic, etc? Objectification is just another word for "simplification," so if you think that it's wrong for sex, you should take a hard look at how it's done for everything else all the time and no one cares.

On top of that, how does this objectification actually affect people? Is not buying a sex doll objectification, too? Are you opposed to that? Is it different because it's a balloon and therefore OK, unlike some graphics on the screen? What about our own hands? Are they objectification? Can we not, when dealing with real people, turn around and accept that our objectification based ideas are oversimplified for application for real people? Seriously, why is there such a problem with this objectification of non-real people?
kohlrak: [...] Objectification is just another word for "simplification," [...]
objectification
ɒbdʒɛktɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/Submit
noun
the action of degrading someone to the status of a mere object.