It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's turn the page.

Visual Novels have arrived on GOG.com! Our first selection includes acclaimed games, revered for their intricate artwork and stimulating stories, up to 66% off until May 29, 1pm UTC.

Higurashi When They Cry Chapters 1-5 (25% off): Spawning a popular anime and manga series, Higurashi is a "sound novel", where meticulously designed audio plays a crucial part in these unique stories. Chapters 1-5 are available today, with Chapter 6 slated for release in the near future.

fault (50% off): Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of pulp sci-fi and a dash of fantasy to weave a powerful cinematic story about the human condition. These two episodes of the ongoing series star the perky princess Selphine and her sarcastic guardian Ritona, as they desperately try to make their way back to their homeland.

Sunrider series (66% off): An alternate universe, intergalactic strife, mech combat, high school, and love all around. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free!), Liberation Day, and Sunrider Academy are a beloved and unique mix of strategy, romance, and visual novel. De-censor patch optional, but come on.

eden* (66% off): Stock up on tissues. This critically-acclaimed love story on a dying planet is a real tear-jerker told with stunning cinematic flair. Humanity is about to be wiped out by a red star but this story is destined to stick around for much longer.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I'm not sure why many posts in this thread use phrases like "visual novel games." Visual novels are absolutely not games. "Games" and "visual novels" are two completely different and mutually exclusive categories.

I'm not saying visual novels are bad, but to call them "games" is untrue.
I personally would agree here. But then again the term "game" is a really complicated one. Just remember the discussions about the so called "walking simulators" and then there are those "games" that are considered to be a game though they don't have actual gameplay elements in it like i.e. "Her Story". Visual novels for me are (more or less) interactive "novels". Something to read and something to click "next page". However I might be completely wrong here since I don't know much about the genre. Those I stumbled on in the past were simply a book with pics and music.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by MarkoH01
low rated
GOG.com: De-censor patch optional, but come on.
Come again?

If only it was 'optional' like Galaxy because then it would actually be available here.

Impaler26: So GOG only has the censored versions of the Sunrider games?
PainOfSalvation: From GOG Twitter:

"Our plans are to bring "All Ages" versions to GOG.COM . But we don't plan to block or interfere with compatibility for any additional content the devs want to make available on their end."
Thanks for the link, I wonder which end that might be. So much for admirable principles – oh wait, they abandoned most of them long ago. :(

'This is the end, beautiful friend':
De-Censor Patch Instructions
(Applies only to Steam version)
Source: http://sunrider-vn.com/sunriderpage/

*Sigh*
pmcollectorboy: My impression of sound based games had been soured when I tried A Blind Legend on my phone based on rave reviews and found a game with very basic mechanics. Not only that but upon trying the game after some time had passed and my memory of it had become fuzzy, I had bungled up the very basic act of trying to access a gesture based menu system.
a blind legend was an ok idea saddled with a terrible save system and an awful main protagonist. it needed a little polish and a rewrite and it would have been better.
Lemon_Curry: 'This is the end, beautiful friend':

De-Censor Patch Instructions
(Applies only to Steam version)
Lemon_Curry: Source: http://sunrider-vn.com/sunriderpage/

*Sigh*
If thats a sigh for the patch saying Steam only, should work on the GOG versions. The free one does as someone is using it.
Pond86: If thats a sigh for the patch saying Steam only, should work on the GOG versions. The free one does as someone is using it.
Indeed it was. So has it actually been confirmed that it works, or are you merely assuming it does?
Lemon_Curry: Indeed it was. So has it actually been confirmed that it works, or are you merely assuming it does?
Mr.Mumbles: Seems to work just fine for the freebie offered.
I can test it again, as ive downloaded it if you want.
Wolfy777: Well, my friendlist is still empthy, so I'm not sure I even understand how it works or what's it actually for.
MarkoH01: Not anymore if you'll accept my invite ;)

So ... what's the use of it?
1) You can access the profiles of people who have set their privacy settings to "friends only".
2) Same thing applies to the wishlist, the library and the chat.
3) If you are using Galaxy you can see who also owns a specific game you are about to play.
4) It gives you a fuzzy feeling to have a friend :)
(even though you might now nothing more about him or her than the avatar and the nickname)

Enebias: People... I really thought the past of "strike" was "stroke".
I'm not sure I want to understand what I worte, now.
MarkoH01: But I guess you can imagine?
Thanks, fuzyness definitely confirmed. :)

In your case I'll have to argue with the brackets, you're quite active on the forums so you do have a preceding reputation. ;)

Unfortunately, I won't have that much time to explore the newfound aspect of gaming.
I've got an exam in the middle of June and I won't have much free time until then.
After that, I'll tentatively research some more.

It's quite late. Better hit the books.

Have a nice day and thank you and Desmight for being so welcoming.
3 have no choices and one is not a visual novel.
Interesting, but pass.

Also, laughable how GOG dances around not having an age gate. Customers are left completely unclear which portion of the product is crippled and how to fix it.

Implementing an age gate before rolling out adult content would have helped.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by AlienMind
tremere110: Let's go Sengoku Rance...
As someone who likes VNs with heavier gameplay elements, I really like the Rance series. Sengoku Rance was great.
high rated
Pond86: If thats a sigh for the patch saying Steam only, should work on the GOG versions. The free one does as someone is using it.
Lemon_Curry: Indeed it was. So has it actually been confirmed that it works, or are you merely assuming it does?
I just tested it. Not only is the patch working. The game files are called SunriderMaskofArcadiusSteam.exe so I'd say they are the same files and all patches will lwork.

Edit: I just noticed the VN has nice soundtrack (it's playing in the background right now) :)
high rated
I personally have no problem with visual novels being on GOG. While I don't really care for them myself, the only ones I'm interested in being the Danganronpa series which I hope comes to GOG some day, I think this is great for the people who do enjoy VNs.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by ShakeFan17
low rated
E N D L E S S
T
R
A
S
H
sweet!
Thanks gog
Question to those who know these VNs. As said I just downloaded "Sunrider Mask of Arcadius". When I wanted to start the game it gives me two choices to start with. Are these two different storys? Which one should I start first?

First Arrival
Mask of Arcadius
Mr.Caine: E N D L E S S
T
R
A
S
H
Which is your opinion and therefore completely valid as all opinions. However it's also purely subjective what can be considered to be trash and what not.
Mr.Mumbles: Seems to work just fine for the freebie offered.
Pond86: I can test it again, as ive downloaded it if you want.
Thanks (+1), but it seems you got ninja'd. ;)

MarkoH01: I just tested it. Not only is the patch working. The game files are called SunriderMaskofArcadiusSteam.exe so I'd say they are the same files and all patches will lwork.

Edit: I just noticed the VN has nice soundtrack (it's playing in the background right now) :)
Cheers, MarkoH01 (+1). :)

If it somehow doesn't work, I guess I'll soon hear about it. I'm not in a hurry to play the game anyway.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by Lemon_Curry