It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's turn the page.

Visual Novels have arrived on GOG.com! Our first selection includes acclaimed games, revered for their intricate artwork and stimulating stories, up to 66% off until May 29, 1pm UTC.

Higurashi When They Cry Chapters 1-5 (25% off): Spawning a popular anime and manga series, Higurashi is a "sound novel", where meticulously designed audio plays a crucial part in these unique stories. Chapters 1-5 are available today, with Chapter 6 slated for release in the near future.

fault (50% off): Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of pulp sci-fi and a dash of fantasy to weave a powerful cinematic story about the human condition. These two episodes of the ongoing series star the perky princess Selphine and her sarcastic guardian Ritona, as they desperately try to make their way back to their homeland.

Sunrider series (66% off): An alternate universe, intergalactic strife, mech combat, high school, and love all around. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free!), Liberation Day, and Sunrider Academy are a beloved and unique mix of strategy, romance, and visual novel. De-censor patch optional, but come on.

eden* (66% off): Stock up on tissues. This critically-acclaimed love story on a dying planet is a real tear-jerker told with stunning cinematic flair. Humanity is about to be wiped out by a red star but this story is destined to stick around for much longer.
high rated
Where's Doki Doki Literature Club?
Also, just a friendly reminder, sell all games and movies uncensored only. Thanks.
dennisg9: Where's Doki Doki Literature Club?
Also, just a friendly reminder, sell all games and movies uncensored only. Thanks.
DDLC is a free game? Just go get it from the developer.
EnglishInfix: DDLC is a free game? Just go get it from the developer.
Then I wonder why the free price filter in the search page is there. It's not just for demos or time limited free games.
I'd be surprised to see it here, it's mostly been games that had either had and 18+ version available elsewhere, or an existing patch to allow 18+ content, like it's been mentioned in discussions elsewhere that the few sakura series games that didn't have an 18+ patch weren't included, DDLC on the other hand has no such thing, so while you should feel free to ask the dev to give it a shot with GOG being a little more willing than before, at the moment it's yet another decent vn you'll have to dig through itch.io if you want it drm-free...that said, it'd be nice if we did get more of the more well known games over here, but DDLC has no reason to migrate at this time
Post edited May 23, 2018 by lanaelunara
lanaelunara: Which, by the way, has me wondering...what are the chances of GOG okaying open distribution of uncensored versions? Probably not high, on the one hand, as they do accept paypal as a payment method and paypal does have rules against using it to pay for such content, and the only site with such content that takes paypal that I know of, dlsite, had to use a clunky, pain in the butt workaround involving only taking paypal for all ages content and to buy points for their point system which could be used to buy games, then having the points work on any part of the site, trust me, no one wants that, but on the other hand...having a basic and a plus edition both on the store front might work, just have the 'basic' edition be the all ages type releases we've been seeing on steam, and the 'plus' edition be a more expensive all ages, perhaps with some small extras like bonus wallpapers with a free, totally optional dlc that unlocks the original content, hell, put up the standard are you 18 years or older question popup on said dlc before downloading...I'd say have just one, more expensive all ages version with the free dlc, but some people aren't interested in the cut content, and it seems unfair to ask them to foot the bill for the rest of us, but given the fact that all ages versions of games not by english devs usually do have a 10$ or half the cost, whatever is cheaper price difference between all ages and uncut releases, I'm gonna assume it's a common contract expectation, so we can't do away with that, either.
I'm curious about this too. If they agreed to sell uncensored versions that would be a huge plus.
high rated
Those who don't want visual novels in their GoG are like "music lovers" who want the pop section removed from their music store...

For the newcomers, "Fault Milestone" has a bit of everything: action, drama, world exposition and a heavy emphasis on characters backstories. It is not too long and is safe for work to boot. It should give you a good idea of what a visual novel can be.

I read 2 chapters of Higurashi, and saw the anime. I found them a bit difficult to get into, with a big pay off at the end; which was true for each chapter, and the show as a whole. It is safe for work, but definitively geared toward a mature audience.

The (IMO) true iconical visual novels are yet to come. Many of them have NSFW content, which would put them in the "late teen"-"young adult" part of a library, if they were books (that would be my rough estimate, at least).
Enebias: People... I really thought the past of "strike" was "stroke".
I'm not sure I want to understand what I worte, now.
That would be "struck". "Stroke" is a separate (though related) verb. It is sometimes used...euphemistically. ;)
low rated
Can't wait to see all those shovelware OELVNs from Steam appear here :/
EnglishInfix: DDLC is a free game? Just go get it from the developer.
dennisg9: Then I wonder why the free price filter in the search page is there. It's not just for demos or time limited free games.
Regardless of whether I think free games belong on a distribution platform (it's nice, but it shouldn't be a priority over discussions with developers that will make GOG money rather than "exposure"), I don't think DDLC would be a good fit for the first batch of VNs on GOG. It's a parody, and relies on the reader to understand how a generic VN is supposed to flow to truly "get" it. If the non-VN readers saw today's sale and clicked on the first free one because they didn't know if they liked the format or not, they might get the wrong idea.

Maybe they can get it later, but it shouldn't be now.
Post edited May 23, 2018 by EnglishInfix
phaolo: Kinetic is related to motion, so why the hell a VN with more gameplay and interactivity is called non-kinetic? O_o
That confused me, as well. Surely "interactive" and "non-interactive" would've been less confusing. And no, people, clicking a button to continue to the next page/scene doesn't make it interactive in any meaningful way.

HiPhish: If it's the story you want, you don't need to "play" the game, just watch a YouTube video.
Pond86: You could say that for any game. Why play Skyrim? Just watch it on YouTube. In fact why buy any game, why don't we all just watch them all on YouTube...wait I know its cause maybe its not the same and people actually like do play through and do things for themselves?
...And if we're talking about one of the interactive VNs with actual elements of, y'know, gameplay, you'd be right. But your argument is pretty weak for "pure" visual novels, where the only element of interaction is clicking to keep the story playing. There is quite literally nothing that one could get from "playing" the VN firsthand that couldn't also be gotten from watching a video.
Now, if you were talking about the ethics of experiencing something for free that the creators intended you to pay for, I'd agree, better to do the legit thing. But that's not the argument you made. : )
Post edited May 23, 2018 by HunchBluntley
dennisg9: Then I wonder why the free price filter in the search page is there. It's not just for demos or time limited free games.
EnglishInfix: [..] I don't think DDLC would be a good fit for the first batch of VNs on GOG. It's a parody, and relies on the reader to understand how a generic VN is supposed to flow to truly "get" it. If the non-VN readers saw today's sale and clicked on the first free one because they didn't know if they liked the format or not, they might get the wrong idea.

Maybe they can get it later, but it shouldn't be now.
Oh by the way a side note, the community wrote some of the just released VNs here in the useless wishlist four (4) years ago so, it takes ages to see something published here you just want. The same with Cook, Serve, Delicious!. and then they suddenly appear here. I just want to get rid of Steam somehow but the huge delay here on Gog isn't helping. I just want all my games I have in one library or as close as possible lol
HunchBluntley: ...And if we're talking about one of the interactive VNs with actual elements of, y'know, gameplay, you'd be right. But your argument is pretty weak for "pure" visual novels, where the only element of interaction is clicking to keep the story playing. There is quite literally nothing that one could get from "playing" the VN firsthand that couldn't also be gotten from watching a video.
Now, if you were talking about the ethics of experiencing something for free that the creators intended you to pay for, I'd agree, better to do the legit thing. But that's not the argument you made. : )
Not really. For me personally and many others even if a VN is just clicking I prefer to play through it, and dispise YouTube playthroughs. Everyone is different.
liamphoenix: Wish these were on Connect.
Me too.
Desmight: The only thing I fear is the lack of curation. If that's gonna be the case, then we'll end up having hundreds of anime shovelware games here too. And after today, it's clear that GOG's curation system is becoming too much flexible for my taste.
Kadlin: I would love to see more games on GOG. They declined so many games, I want to see them sell more games. Why not let all games become DRM free? Wouldn't that be cool? Isn't that what lots of GOG users want? Let the consumer decide what they want to buy. Some games might sell more copies, sure, but it would be nice to have a place where everyone was catered to that sold DRM free games, at least I think so! :)
It would be cool if there were many places to buy DRM-free. (And there are, indeed, already several -- support them, too!) I very specifically do not want GOG to be "Steam, but DRM-free", because that would lead to exactly the same problems here (in addition to GOG's many existing problems) that are starting to make people leave Steam now. (There are plenty of people leaving GOG because it's treading too close to Steam in some ways.)
The beauty of DRM-free is that a game can be sold anywhere, and used more or less the same regardless of where it was bought. A game not being released on GOG is in no way preventing the game from being released DRM-free.

People really need to get over this whole "all my gaemz in one place" thing. No one store should be all things to all people, and no one store should have even a near-monopoly, even within a niche.

HunchBluntley: ...And if we're talking about one of the interactive VNs with actual elements of, y'know, gameplay, you'd be right. But your argument is pretty weak for "pure" visual novels, where the only element of interaction is clicking to keep the story playing. There is quite literally nothing that one could get from "playing" the VN firsthand that couldn't also be gotten from watching a video.
Pond86: Not really. For me personally and many others even if a VN is just clicking I prefer to play through it, and dispise YouTube playthroughs. Everyone is different.
That's fine as a personal preference, but to imply that everyone could somehow get more out of an inherently non-interactive experience if they would only click each "continue" button themselves -- as opposed to watching someone else do it -- is silly. It's like insisting that watching a movie is so much more meaningful if you're actually the one who puts a disc in a player and pushes "play". ;P
Post edited May 23, 2018 by HunchBluntley
Kadlin: I would love to see more games on GOG. They declined so many games, I want to see them sell more games. Why not let all games become DRM free? Wouldn't that be cool? Isn't that what lots of GOG users want? Let the consumer decide what they want to buy. Some games might sell more copies, sure, but it would be nice to have a place where everyone was catered to that sold DRM free games, at least I think so! :)
HunchBluntley: It would be cool if there were many places to buy DRM-free. (And there are, indeed, already several -- support them, too!) I very specifically do not want GOG to be "Steam, but DRM-free", because that would lead to exactly the same problems here (in addition to GOG's many existing problems) that are starting to make people leave Steam now. (There are plenty of people leaving GOG because it's treading too close to Steam in some ways.)
The beauty of DRM-free is that a game can be sold anywhere, and used more or less the same regardless of where it was bought. A game not being released on GOG is in no way preventing the game from being released DRM-free.

People really need to get over this whole "all my gaemz in one place" thing. No one store should be all things to all people, and no one store should have even a near-monopoly, even within a niche.
Excellent points about storefront centralization. Its the reason we're in the mess we are with Steam.