It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For all the fans of classic RPGs this title will be like a journey through time.

It took creators many years to develop Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, but our patience has been more than rewarded. The title features a beautiful 2D hand-drawn artwork, more than 244 maps to explore, and provides the gamers with over 600 hours of play.

Buy Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar on GOG.COM and get a 25% discount until 2nd January 2020, 2 PM UTC.
fisk0: The developer certainly doesn't seem to be a sympathetic person, but I think that's the rule rather than the exception these days.
MarkoH01: Don't know if calling people on GOG SWJs is the rule as well.
SJW is such a meaningless and dumb term, and I think less of anybody who uses it, even in jest, but he definitely isn't the only developer with a recent game on GOG to have done so.

But as I said, I suggest everybody checks the developer out themselves and decide on their own if they want to support this or not. I do wish that people more actively did this with more games though, and actually were consistent with what they decide to do, because there's no shortage of devs deserving of the same criticism.
What an unexpected surprise! It reminds me of that brief scene in Ghostbusters II when Cheech Marin says "well better late than never" because the Titanic arrived.
NuffCatnip: I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game? Why all the hype around this release? Serious question.
All I see is an average dungeon crawler, yet some go ape shit because of this release. I mean, yeah, the guy worked on this for 20 years, but that can't be all.
Read this (and weep) http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry-stones-of-arnhem/
pkk234: What's with all the hubbub surrounding this game?
Gekko_Dekko: in short - developer cant accept criticism in any form and his response to some negative feedback in past featured various degrees of over-the-top reaction - from toxic answers to straight up bans, to even attempts to sue people and real life threats (about the latest ones you can see there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihALjBo-PTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsW7vUOkOQU )
what the heck?
How the hell does he improve his games if he cant recive feedback and valid critisism and i dont mean rude feedback or negativity just for the sake of beeing negative.
Is he just guessing what needs to be improved?
Post edited December 13, 2019 by Lodium
dtgreene: Since you have apparently played it, perhaps you could answer at least some of the questions I askked earlier in this topic?

Also, does the game have any option to change a character's class?
fronzelneekburm: Here are the answers to your questions, courtesy of Wolfram_von_Thal:

1. No, your party isn't necessarily permanent. You can always pick up NPCs on the road - they are almost overpowered in the first hours of the game, so it may be a good advice to pick up one or two of them if one finds the game too hard. There is a place where you'll be able to get your own characters back.
2. yes
3. skills improve both by using them and by you distributing skill points to them.
4. In my whole playtime (about 300 hours) my characters aged about two years and it didn't matter. I don't know what happens if they get older, but there are means to rejuvenate them later in the game.
5. As far as I remember: No. Resurrection halfs your character's constitution but it restores over time to normal.
6. In my experience healing is important in the first parts of the game and it's effective enough, later in the game I didn't even bother about it as my party was strong enough to survive every battle.
7. I don't even know if there is a levelcap but realistically you won't get higher than to level 15 in one game. I didn't reach this level with any of my characters as I multiclassed them. Multiclassing is a good idea as it increases your HP and makes your characters more versatile and gives you the possibility to get access to the nifty special classes (Pirate, Assassin and the wonderful Jester).
8. At the beginning it's relatively demanding to survive but with enough knowledge it works pretty well (again: it's a good idea to pick up one of the recruitable NPCs if the game seems to be too hard at the beginning). There are certain enemies in the game that have a very mean attitude and use brutal instakill attacks that can wipe out your entire party - even if this party is on level 10. They are seriously overpowered but can be countered with the right kind of magic. Later on the game can be almost a breeze if you know how everything works. That's how the game rewards your dedication and it's a great feeling if your party grows from a ragtag band of weaklings to a battle hardened veteran adventurers.
9. There are a lot of missing hits going on with inexperienced (and/or tired) characters.
Here are my thoughts on some of these answers:
3. This sounds like Wizardry 8. (Wizardry 6 and 7 also took this approach, but there are some skills that can't improve by use.) (By the way, one thing to test: Use a hex editor to raise a character's skills to 100, then level up the character. Can the game continue, or is it softlocked? (I think Wizardry 6 and/or 7 had an issue with this at one point.))
5. Interesting approach to resurrection, though the question is if whether it still makes sense to reload whenever characters die or if it is worth continuing.
6. The problem isn't whether the party can survive a battle without having to heal, but more whether the party can heal in between battles in a reasonable amount of time. When it takes longer (real time) to heal after a battle than to win the battle itself, there's clearly something wrong. As I said, Wizardry 6 and 7 have a serious issue with this (as does Pool of Radiance, but that's a different series).
7. Good to hear that there's class changing.
8. Sounds like the game has somewhat of an inverted difficulty curve, where the game gets easier as you progress. (This is a common problem in games with growth systems.) Also sounds like some battles aren't exactly fair, a problem seen in such games as Dragon Quest 2 (a couple enemies have a spell that, if cast, is a guaranteed game over), Wizardr 8 (MAKANITO anyone?), and Paper Sorcerer.)
Gekko_Dekko: *unironically posts ShitAlpha videos and gets upvoted for some unfathomable reason*
ShitAlpha is just an outrage merchant subsiding on Patreon-pity bux who got his big break on youtube by exploiting the woes of a clearly mentally unwell person for easy drama under the guise of consumer advocacy.

Here‘s Cleve‘s side of the story.

I can't believe this resulted from me writing the designated forum admin of that thread on Reddit asking him to take down this accusation of plagiarism and this weaboo turned it into a thrilling series of YouTube videos in which he takes down the Man in an epic fight against the powers that be, a tale of intrigue and danger. Even more amazing is the incredible crowd of dweebs on Youtube around him who actually think that happened.

I wrote this guy very politely the first dozen times reprinting his own forum policy to ask him how he could leave this comment up on the forum when if it alleged that Grimoire was stolen IP/code.

That's ALL this was ever about. There are hundred of winners on Reddit saying bad things about Grimoire, so what.

This was just about that very unfounded accusation. I never mentioned anything about anything else BUT this.

If you want to accuse me of criminal plagiarism of source code from Sir-Tech, you need to post the evidence in tandem for that wild baseless accusation or else take it down.

Accusing me of stealing Grimoire code after 25 years of weeping blood from my eyes until 4 am in the morning trying to figure out why axes were hitting your own party when hurled is the dirtiest possible dev of them all. Sorry, I thought this was criminal to make this kind of accusation without any evidence. These f*ckers have no idea how long I worked on that sh*t code, especially trying to refactor and rewrite code that I realized was junk after a while.

This guy has not had this much attention on his YouTube channel in his life. I'm not feeding this digital vagrant any more bread.
Ebeggars gonna ebeggar.

Lodium: what the heck?
How the hell does he improve his games if he cant recive feedback and valid critisism and i dont mean rude feedback or negativity just for the sake of beeing negative.
Is he just guessing what needs to be improved?
As to Cleve's supposed inability to take criticism, he has stickied bug reporting/feedback threads here (https://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967529573105851/), here (https://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967529573097402/) and here (https://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967529573110571/). He's also quite active on the RPG Codex forums.

He really only gets pissy about criticism if either of these happens:

- Someone buys the game, pens a bad review and then immediately gets a refund.
- Someone has dozens of hours put into the game and still gives it a thumbs down (in Cleve's mind if you put 10+ hours into a game means that it was good enough to keep you playing and therefore shouldn't be given a thumbs down)

He'll sometimes react to criticism pertaining to the gameplay with "git gud" smackdowns, but that's just bantz, bro. It shouldn't be taken too seriously.

MarkoH01: The dev did not die, did he?
Remember the last time someone posted an archived link to a now-deleted Tweet in an obvious attempt to stir up people and it cost a guy his livelihood? You sang a very different tune back then. In fact, I remember you (understandably) making a thread about it defending the guy.

If you approve of i_hope_you_rot's post, you approve of the same shitty tactics that cost Linko his job as a CM.
Post edited December 13, 2019 by fronzelneekburm
Asbeau: I'd rather burn money than give it to Blakemore, but each to his or her own
HAHAHAHA! He is quite the 'character.' The game being made is a saga in itself.

I'm happy about people from GOG being happy because the game they want is here. Have fun and enjoy your game.
Post edited December 13, 2019 by David9855
NuffCatnip: I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game? Why all the hype around this release? Serious question.
All I see is an average dungeon crawler, yet some go ape shit because of this release. I mean, yeah, the guy worked on this for 20 years, but that can't be all.
samuraigaiden: Read this (and weep) http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry-stones-of-arnhem/
Thanks for the link! :)
I'm off to work now, but I'll make sure to read it on my lunch breaks.
high rated
NuffCatnip: Thanks for the link! :)
I'm off to work now, but I'll make sure to read it on my lunch breaks.
As with many articles about Stones Of Arnhem, this one is riddled with errors and gross distortion of facts. Take this sentence for instance:

It seems like the team has been put together rather haphazardly; it included actor Max Phipps and filmmaker Phil Moore, only later more “conventional” game development staff like programmers Michael Shamgar and Cleveland Blakemore were brought on bord.

It's hilarious how these two clowns (Phipps and Moore), who flushed hundereds of thousands of dollars down the toilet and had nothing playable to show for it, get a free pass, yet it's Cleve and Shamgar (i.e. the only people who did any actual development) who are the ones singled out as being "controversial". The fact is that Sir-Tech was ready to shitcan the whole thing because huge sums of money had been wasted on two failed Australian actors playing at being gamedevs when they hired Cleve for a pittance to basically build the entire game from scratch.

The experience proved so traumatic for Cleve that he figured that he'd be better off developing a Wizardry-inspired RPG all on his own. That's how Grimoire was born.

There's significantly more to this story and the details are so incredibly outrageous and outlandish (Penisaurus, anyone?) that when Cleve (who at that point was considered a shitposting conspiracy nut who touted his own vaporware as the greatest RPG of them all) broke the story on the Codex many years ago, literally no one believed him and he was collectively ridiculed. Cleve's story has since been vindicated by none other than Robert Sirotek himself (who basically went "Hahaha, lol, it's all true but it doesn't matter because Cleve has been working on his own game for 20 years, hahahaha!") and thanks to leaks from the Sir-Tech archives (Hello, penisaurus concept art! The leak also included Cleve's resignation letter which again backed the whole story up).

If you're really interested in this saga, I recommend you check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJ540kINP4. It doesn't nearly scratch the surface, omits or only fleetingly mentions some interesting details (like how Sir-Tech thanked him for his efforts by putting him into Jagged Alliance 2 as a joke character to further spite him) and it gets some of the timeline of events wrong, but overall it's a pretty good introduction that will give a more detailed rundown of Cleve's internet persona, his involvement with Wizardry - Stones Of Arnhem and the genesis of Grimoire (the vid also dedicates a bit of time to the ShitAlpha feud and at the end).

So, to get back to your first question:

NuffCatnip: I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game?
No, absolutely not. Quite the contrary, even the detractors should be able to admit that this is a passion project if there ever was one.
Post edited December 13, 2019 by fronzelneekburm
Swedrami: Already got me one copy, will pick up another one for the undiscounted full price next year.
What do you mean by "undiscounted full price"? Is this like Shovel Knight, where the developers keeps adding to the game, and with each iteration, v2, v3... the game increases in price?

Also, I see that the game is marked as v2 on STEAM. Is this the same version that is on GOG? I hate it when games don't use unified naming across platforms. Almost as much as I hate "Game of the year"/Definitive editions, that still require you to buy DLCs.

I'm so confused by this game, especially since everybody in the thread seem to know the deeper story.
Swedrami: Already got me one copy, will pick up another one for the undiscounted full price next year.
MadalinStroe: What do you mean by "undiscounted full price"? Is this like Shovel Knight, where the developers keeps adding to the game, and with each iteration, v2, v3... the game increases in price?

Also, I see that the game is marked as v2 on STEAM. Is this the same version that is on GOG? I hate it when games don't use unified naming across platforms. Almost as much as I hate "Game of the year"/Definitive editions, that still require you to buy DLCs.

I'm so confused by this game, especially since everybody in the thread seem to know the deeper story.
It's 25% off right now, he means he's getting it when it's 0% off.

As for the confusion about the version number, don't worry, this is the same as the latest Steam version. Cleve posted a massive update to the Steam version about a year ago and called it V2 due to the large number of enhancements/fixes made.

I own both the Steam and gog version and I'll be sure to let people know about version discrepancies, should they arise.
fronzelneekburm: I own both the Steam and gog version and I'll be sure to let people know about version discrepancies, should they arise.
Thanks!
high rated
All I can say is thank you Cleve and GOG for bringing this game to my favourite platform, at last.

GOG, you have gained my respect by including this gem in your store, please continue to promote great, independent games!
So, anybody tried with linux and wine? (as I don't usually support non-linux games any more, I don't even have proton or lutris, etc... but I have some default wine from main repository, KDE Neon distro is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so that's what I have available easily without much fuss)

I tried some demo years ago, and it didn't work well, the game did launch, but UI events were few seconds delayed and mouse was reading funny coordinates .. overall it seemed to be written by not very skilled coder, especially considering the list of bugs he was fixing - I have some respect for him for the persistence and productivity, but I don't believe much in his coding skills.

So it was not playable, but since then many versions of wine emerged, and maybe the game itself is doing more sane things to the system API calls and less writes at wrong memory addresses, etc... (wine is generally more sensitive than real windows OS :/ ). .... so ... anyone tried it? Or is there new demo based on current version?

EDIT:
wine appDB - I was unable to find any record
protonDB: https://www.protondb.com/app/650670

Seems the mouse lag is still there... ouch... ok, I will skip this one for the moment, unless somebody figures out how to run it under linux (or maybe Cleve will do native port... hahahaha :D ...in another decade ... :D )

EDIT2:
thanks Klumpen0815, I will check it, but it doesn't specifically says the particular setup cures the mouse issues, so I'm still kinda reluctant... it would be nice if somebody else with linux, who wants to buy this any way, would confirm that regular wine setup is borked, and the wiki did help to make it playable...
Post edited December 13, 2019 by ped7g
ped7g: So, anybody tried with linux and wine?
I don't have the game, but got this here:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Wine_Guide

Apparently it only needs two winetricks, namely:
directmusic
gmdls