It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

More pretty. Still gritty.

<span class="bold">Deus Ex: Revision</span>, a mod which drastically overhauls the FPS/RPG masterpiece while preserving its greatness, is now available for FREE on GOG.com!

Every time the game is mentioned, someone will reinstall it. Make sure that's you, to check out all the augmentations this mod brings: New environments, new details that better flesh out its cyberpunk world, improved textures and 3D models, a new soundtrack, and more! What's more, thanks to the awesome team behind the mod, you can now collect 200+ GOG Galaxy achievements while playing Deus Ex: Revision.

To use this mod you need to own the original <span class="bold">Deus Ex GOTY</span>.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited April 18, 2017 by maladr0Id
trusteft: Either you are drunk, or because I just woke up from a long nap, I am still half asleep (mind).
This doesn't make any sense to me.
Why would GOG, or anyone, give you access for free to an upgrade of the game they are selling, if you do not even have the game that is required, bought from them in the first place?
Because you are a nice guy?

The original game was a full on Windows game, so I seriously doubt it is now a game that requires DOS or Dosbox.
PromZA: Yes, clearly you are. They have it as a separate listing for free so it's not like they're giving me anything. If anything it's the publisher who should care but as I already have the game I am entitled to have it. If GoG wants it as a DLC then fine include as an upgrade to the game (it's free in any case) so you automatically have it. But that's not the route they followed. They made it a separate product yet it seems more like a way to up their catalogue and get you to buy the others.

As it is I bought Deux Ex 3 for a lot more than I paid for 1 and 2. It's not about the price but the principle. I shouldn't be forced to keep buying the same thing over and over again. That's more in line with DRM which seems to be creeping more and more into GoG.

As for anyone giving me access to a game that wasn't bought from them, that's ironically exactly what Steam does when I buy a game directly from the publisher. If GoG had a similar system in place we would be able to share them among platforms without actually needing to buy them again.
Your logic eludes me. Bye.
RafaelLVX: How it doesn't compare? It's the same situation with a different game.
Lemon_Curry: First of all, while it's true that in both cases they require you to own the GOG version of the base game in one case we're talking about purchasable DLC (released by the developer and publisher of the original game) and in the other a free mod.

Secondly, you bought DLC for a base product you don't own (any retail version of) and my specific concern was whether or not someone who doesn't own the GOG version of Deus Ex could download this particular mod.
The only real difference here being that the free Witcher 3 DLC is free instead of paid (fair enough), since your "second" difference makes no sense: anyone who doesn't own any retail version of something will also not own "the GOG version" of same thing.

You're welcome though as I probably did solve your curious question either way, since the same rules must apply to both situations, though now I'm just assuming.
Just noticed that the trailer of this mod says
"Now Available On Good Old Games and Steam"
:)
RafaelLVX: The only real difference here being that the free Witcher 3 DLC is free instead of paid (fair enough)...
My apologies, I clearly wasn't paying enough attention when I read the part where you explained that you '"purchased" the free DLC pass'.
Right then, so both of them are free.

RafaelLVX: ... since your "second" difference makes no sense: anyone who doesn't own any retail version of something will also not own "the GOG version" of same thing.
While it may not make a practical distinction in this case it nevertheless remains a difference regarding the specifics of my query. That is the point I was trying to make.

RafaelLVX: You're welcome though as I probably did solve your curious question either way, since the same rules must apply to both situations, though now I'm just assuming.
If you consider basing an answer on the assumption that the same rules must apply to both situations then yes, you did solve the question. But I requested factual information on a specific case.
Anyway, Grargar kindly answered my query before you posted so I already knew the answer.
Post edited April 12, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
One of my main issues with the original Deus Ex was how the levels largely consist of huge areas with very little going on inside them, so I was very curious to give this a shot...

Well, I made it through the first few areas and if anything this mod has taught me to appreciate the original design a lot more. I have a hard time coming up with a word that would appropriately describe what they did to the Liberty Island level. "Cluttered" doesn't really do justice to this monstrosity. Same goes for the UNATCO HQ, which was fairly straightforward in the original and has been turned into a freakin' maze.
Yep, time to reinstall. I haven't played it in years and the Revision mod looks excellent.
Awesome, GOG. Thank you!
UhuruNUru: It 's up to you how you use the mod. Here's the official mod site
<span class="bold">Download Revision &mdash; Deus Ex: Revision</span>

Just get the mod from there.
eiii: To me it looks like that you can only download the mod for the Steam version of the game from that URL. At least that's what the download page states:

"Standalone Installer [..]
It requires that you already own Deus Ex Game of the Year through Steam, and is intended to serve as an alternative download for those who encounter difficulties with the Steam servers."
You are correct, but as <span class="bold">this site</span> makes clear, there are actually some differences between a patched retail release, and the GOTY edition.

This was also an officially sanctioned mod, supported by Square Enix, and originally released as a standalone free game on Steam. So mod Team may be restricted in how it's released, and releasing it for retail version is not GOG's decision to make. The owning game on GOG requirement, is likely a Squere Enix condition as well.

Other posts in this thread, indicate different mods may be the better choice, in any event, so maybe take that advice
<span class="bold">GMDX - Give Me Deus X</span>
bhrigu: Just noticed that the trailer of this mod says
"Now Available On Good Old Games and Steam"
:)
GOG will never escape their original name. :P
aristotle61: I just installed it and upon entering the game I noticed no difference whatsoever, other than the mod messed up the sound. Am I missing something?

Granted, I just started the game and only played for a minute or two, but I would think that if this was the massive overhaul it's claiming to be, I would notice a difference. The graphics are still absolutely horrible.

Changing the subject a little, why were the graphics so horrible in this game when the game came out in the year 2000? I am far from a graphics snob, in fact I just recently completed the first Diablo and the original Delta Force, but it's hard to understand why the graphics for this game are so bad. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. The character models don't even have ears that stick out! The sides of their heads are flat, with ears painted on. The heads are all pointy and the mouths look ridiculous. It's hard to see how the game could be as immersive as people say when it's hard to get past how ugly it is. I know I missed the boat on this game by never having played it when it came out, and I am not doubting that the game was great, but I still play other games that are older than this one, and the graphics don't ruin the experience. With so many people having played and loved this game, I wonder why no one has remade the game.
jjavier: I didn't play delta force, but I played Diablo back in the day and the graphics were sprites, i.e. is a 2D game with pre-rendered backgrounds. DX is a 3D game, and 3D took its toll on performance back then. I don't think DX is a bad looking game for it's time.
You don't think Deus Ex is a bad looking game for it's time? The year 2000? There are a LOT of games from that period or before that look much better. Half-Life from two years before is an obvious choice for comparing an older game that looks much better.

You think Diablo is 2D?
aristotle61: You think Diablo is 2D?
You think Diablo has , [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid]Platonic solids, or [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire-frame_model]wire-frame models in 3 dimensional planes before being rendered on screen?
aristotle61: You think Diablo is 2D?
ValamirCleaver: You think Diablo has , [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid]Platonic solids, or [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire-frame_model]wire-frame models in 3 dimensional planes before being rendered on screen?
None of that has anything to do with Diablo being a 3D game. I think we are talking about two different things. You are talking about 3D components.
aristotle61: None of that has anything to do with Diablo being a 3D game. I think we are talking about two different things. You are talking about 3D components.
What creative definition do you have of "a 3D game" if in your opinion the original 1996 release of Diablo is a 3D game despite the fact that it contains no "3D components"?
aristotle61: Changing the subject a little, why were the graphics so horrible in this game when the game came out in the year 2000? I am far from a graphics snob, in fact I just recently completed the first Diablo and the original Delta Force, but it's hard to understand why the graphics for this game are so bad. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. The character models don't even have ears that stick out! The sides of their heads are flat, with ears painted on. The heads are all pointy and the mouths look ridiculous. It's hard to see how the game could be as immersive as people say when it's hard to get past how ugly it is. I know I missed the boat on this game by never having played it when it came out, and I am not doubting that the game was great, but I still play other games that are older than this one, and the graphics don't ruin the experience. With so many people having played and loved this game, I wonder why no one has remade the game.
RafaelLVX: Your assessment of how the game looks is very precise, but if that prevents you from enjoying a game, you are a graphics snob, at least in my book. Please don't try other Eidos classics from the same era, like Hitman and Tomb Raider, or even from other publishers (Max Payne 1, GTA 3), you're in for a disappointment.

For people with your problem I do recommend Deus Ex 3, which I think does justice to Deus Ex 1 while being more "modern-looking" for snobs.
Wow.

I think people with your problem, being obnoxious and quick to judge, that is, you should stay away from comment boards.

Yes, I'm a graphics snob. That's why I am here on GOG. I only like games with cutting edge graphics. I own 165 games on GOG, including games like Akalabeth: World of Doom, but you are right, I am a graphics snob. The last two games I completed recently were Diablo 1 and The original Delta Force. I am currently playing Blade Runner. Not too long ago, I completed the original Alone in the Dark, for about the fifth time overall. I also played, completed, and loved GTA 3, Max Payne 1 and 2. I also played Tomb Raider on several occasions, but I admit I never completed that one, probably because I am a graphics snob.
aristotle61: None of that has anything to do with Diablo being a 3D game. I think we are talking about two different things. You are talking about 3D components.
ValamirCleaver: What creative definition do you have of "a 3D game" if in your opinion the original 1996 release of Diablo is a 3D game despite the fact that it contains no "3D components"?
ValamirCleaver:
I understand what you are saying, and you are technically correct, but I was making the distinction between 2D and 3D in the sense of 2D being only able to go left or right, like in a lot of platform games. You will find others, including gaming sites and magazines who use the term 3D when talking about Diablo 1. How about 3D isometric view, which I believe is how the developer referred to Diablo 1? Is that acceptable?

I think we have both seen the "what is really 3D" discussions before. There is no need to to cut and past any more definitions. You have beaten me into submission with your technical expertise. :)
aristotle61: Well, off the top of my head, System Shock 2 was made before Deus Ex, and it looked a lot better. I think Diablo looked better, and it was made four years before Deus Ex. Half-Life was made two years before Deus Ex. Unreal (same engine) looked better. I don't know, I think it's just the way that the graphics looked bad. When you have such ugly character models you probably shouldn't keep showing them up close because it just emphasizes the flaws.

Did you try this new mod being pushed by GOG?
wvpr: System Shock 2's character models were notoriously primitive. Dig up some original screenshots and compare them to original Deus Ex character models. SS2 had paper bag heads with two angled panels forming the face and cubist bodies. It was on the level of Thief or Jedi Knight. Deus Ex was an upgrade over the first generation of 3D-accelerated character models. Faces had geometry, mouths moved, hands were more than blobs. The Deus Ex models were stiff and angular, but they're far superior to what SS2 presented.

You can debate art direction and how well they applied each engine. System Shock 2 had cramped environments, dim lighting, and a smoothness to everything that suited the simpler models. But if you compare the original SS2 and Deus Ex graphics side-by-side, I think you'll quickly change your mind about which game had better-looking characters.
Maybe you're right, but for some reason the graphics in SS2 just seemed better, and didn't seem like a distraction. I think part of it is how they seem to go out of their way to emphasize the graphical ugliness in Deus Ex by having so many close ups when they talk.
Post edited April 20, 2017 by user deleted
RafaelLVX: Your assessment of how the game looks is very precise, but if that prevents you from enjoying a game, you are a graphics snob, at least in my book. Please don't try other Eidos classics from the same era, like Hitman and Tomb Raider, or even from other publishers (Max Payne 1, GTA 3), you're in for a disappointment.

For people with your problem I do recommend Deus Ex 3, which I think does justice to Deus Ex 1 while being more "modern-looking" for snobs.
aristotle61: Wow.

I think people with your problem, being obnoxious and quick to judge, that is, you should stay away from comment boards.

Yes, I'm a graphics snob. That's why I am here on GOG. I only like games with cutting edge graphics. I own 165 games on GOG, including games like Akalabeth: World of Doom, but you are right, I am a graphics snob. The last two games I completed recently were Diablo 1 and The original Delta Force. I am currently playing Blade Runner. Not too long ago, I completed the original Alone in the Dark, for about the fifth time overall. I also played, completed, and loved GTA 3, Max Payne 1 and 2. I also played Tomb Raider on several occasions, but I admit I never completed that one, probably because I am a graphics snob.
Sorry, you're right about everything. I'll leave.