It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
Sabin_Stargem: Anyone who opposes the general public from getting to play great games are terrible as a rule, because they want a walled garden where only the "worthy" are allowed to enjoy nice things.
That was exactly my impression too when reading through this thread - some kind of elitism going on here, which is makes it even more ridiculous than all that 'political' context.
And that was also a point I tried to make - EE's are a great way to broaden the spectrum of gamers playing great classic RPG's, most of today gamers expect the game to be playable OOB (yes, I know, there will be bugs, but it's kind of different that having to install at least a few mods to just play and hope that the modded game will run on specifc PC and specific OS).
Post edited April 03, 2017 by fgorczynski
high rated
fgorczynski: most of today gamers expect the game to be playable OOB (yes, I know, there will be bugs, but it's kind of different that having to install at least a few mods to just play and hope that the modded game will run on specifc PC and specific OS).
That's why today's gamers are playing on PS4 and iPad only, then ?

Also, today's PC gamer never had to learn how to handle, manage and maintain their machine in decent working order... having many background services running, conflictual/redondant various softwares for one single task, outdated OS and drivers, and bloat/crapware of manly sofrt bundled with their application (because they dont care to read what happens with the istaller, because they use to download them from shady websites that package known apps/tools witn spywares, addwares and such), and i'm not even talking yet about also malwares and viruses...
and THEN they use to blame a game when things got buggy...
Makes perfect sense...

(before you ever complain or contradict, know that i had seen countless of similar cases back in the days i was helping people for free or as a part time job... while my own computers usually have years-lasting OS installations and i often dont suffer from many "known" bug of many games when people complain about them in forums... and i don't think it's just mere luck in such extent...)

plus people should be given the choice to buy the version of product they would prefer, in full disclosure/knowledge, and even if for sake of quality control, put a big red scary skull'n'bone warning on the "old version" webpage and let people who still want to deal with it at its former price be free to do so. Some may rather put 9 bucks in a product they are aware of possible and known bugs, but can still work... than paying an EE they may not be interested in, for twice the price. And/or peeps may not want to financialy support/endorse some devs and/or publisher because to previous behavior or grief...

also an issue for me: former catalog page of older version dissapear, along with minimum/required specs info AND previous developper/publisher, while the version will still be given to peeps with the EE... a way to go full denial of former devs of older version and obfuscate/forget their contribution and work

Needless to say, i'm very upset about the way Beamdog is "hiding older versions under the rug" when they go full Borg-style "we assimilated you" on classics that are (imho) part of the videogames history and legaxy, sweeping away any memories, traces or mention of rightful creators and initial devs to rebrand things for themselves as a dog who would agressively mark his territory. And i would be as upset if/when any entity/company would do the same for classics from music or movie areas

i wish sometimes, consumers/gamers could unite together, crowdfunding style, to buyback some licensing or old ip just to make it available to new devs to work on but under more cautious terms. Because unlike cinema, music or litterature, there will never be any Public Domain legacy about videogames (which i consider as an art too) at that rate and with such despicable manoeuvers
high rated
Sabin_Stargem: Anyone who opposes the general public from getting to play great games are terrible as a rule, because they want a walled garden where only the "worthy" are allowed to enjoy nice things.
fgorczynski: That was exactly my impression too when reading through this thread - some kind of elitism going on here, which is makes it even more ridiculous than all that 'political' context.
And that was also a point I tried to make - EE's are a great way to broaden the spectrum of gamers playing great classic RPG's, most of today gamers expect the game to be playable OOB (yes, I know, there will be bugs, but it's kind of different that having to install at least a few mods to just play and hope that the modded game will run on specifc PC and specific OS).
There is no elitism going on here. From my side it is very simple. BG is a vast game, you can play though many times, and challenge yourself to solo, solo poverty runs etc, all of which can take hundreds of hours (trust me, I dread to think of how many months/years even I have put into the games from the first time I loaded it up and heard "My pubs as clean as an elven arse"). Hence spending a bit of time setting up the game effectively is a tiny fraction of that effort. In fact, with the excellent Big World Setup program, a program which downloads all the mods in a given strain (All, Strategy, Best) and installing them for you, you only need to leave it running (the first time takes ages as there is 30gb of mods on Best), but you can keep the files for subsequent installs. Thus, getting a fully working BG1/2 plus all expansions, plus 30gb of extra content including NPCs, quests, fixes etc. - means very little if no effort from the user. Jumping into the EE versions, which are not by default combined, nor included bug fixes or other enhancements, is in fact deteriorating the enjoyment somewhat.

Yes of course, the original game was great, in fact other than widesceen mods, didn't really need any work - hence why I call this a money grab by Beamdog as they haven't really done anything.

Quite a lot of games that used to run on previous Windows have stopped working on Win10, due to Securerom drivers not being present for instance, or not working/saving in certain folders (the possible problems are a lot), should all those be re-released as nowadays we can only work with things that run immediately from the client without any user input and are you going to be paying £15 upwards each time? It is the very nature of PC software to need some sort of user input/management as its a fast moving place, if you don't like that, there are systems created just to take away the complexity and additional effort required, these are consoles (and yes I have many myself and enjoy them and they are very good at what they do).

For this point (post 407): Beamdog and GOG have good reason to hide the original version "behind the shelf": Quality assurance
Its really got very little to do with that. What they want is no competition to their version, its a commercial thing for instance I picked up (and this is in addition to the 4 or 5 physical copies I own) the Original way back for $1.99 probably in a sale and EE version for £3.49 again in a sale. Currently I see them on the site for £16 each which is a lot more than the originals were. Some may think this is value for money, personally I think its a major cash grab. If they are such big fans and want a bigger userbase playing the game why not combine the two and sell as one item for the combined cost of the originals? That would make sense, they are replacing the originals with a slightly more user friendly version. But think how much more you can make from keeping the separate and charging a lot more for each.

Its also inherently an issue with the industry in general, endless remakes, enhanced editions and such like, its a nice big cash earner, take something already existing, few tweaks and out we go, that's £xx a pop thank you very much.

As for the new content they have released I have no real opinion on it, the original games were a full and complete storyline so there is no space for trying to shoehorn in some other story, hence is irrelevant.

TL;DR;
Personally, these EE version have no value equating to the price being asked.
low rated

That's why today's gamers are playing on PS4 and iPad only, then ?
Also, today's PC gamer never had to learn how to handle, manage and maintain their machine in decent working order... having many background services running, conflictual/redondant various softwares for one single task, outdated OS and drivers, and bloat/crapware of manly sofrt bundled with their application (because they dont care to read what happens with the istaller, because they use to download them from shady websites that package known apps/tools witn spywares, addwares and such), and i'm not even talking yet about also malwares and viruses...
and THEN they use to blame a game when things got buggy...
Makes perfect sense...
(before you ever complain or contradict, know that i had seen countless of similar cases back in the days i was helping people for free or as a part time job... while my own computers usually have years-lasting OS installations and i often dont suffer from many "known" bug of many games when people complain about them in forums... and i don't think it's just mere luck in such extent...)
That's why there's plenty of moaning even in this thread about how buggy Beamdog's games are even though some of the bugs if not most of them would require just some internet search to solve them. I've had similar experience with games, OS's and PC's in general as you, always been this guy who's helping others with rather trivial (for me) problems that everyone should be able to manage themselves just by simple googling - but guess what, they couldn't, they were too lazy/afraid/unsure to do it themselves. And that's exactly how I consider average gamer's attitude towards modding, even if it's as simple as running an installer for widescreen mod or for other unfinished business.

plus people should be given the choice to buy the version of product they would prefer, in full disclosure/knowledge, and even if for sake of quality control, put a big red scary skull'n'bone warning on the "old version" webpage and let people who still want to deal with it at its former price be free to do so. Some may rather put 9 bucks in a product they are aware of possible and known bugs, but can still work... than paying an EE they may not be interested in, for twice the price. And/or peeps may not want to financialy support/endorse some devs and/or publisher because to previous behavior or grief...
I don't think I'm able to form a proper opinion on this topic - there are too many variables; GOG's a business, even though is as gamer-friendly as none other, they have to earn money to exist, Beamdog's a business, they have to earn money to exist. And for some reason I believe that people pay too much attention to old version being still available for some nostalgic reasons, those who wanted to play the original version already have it (most of them like me have them both in digital version and on some CD's gathering dust in some obscure place), shame GOG's probably don't have the statistics for the sale of older games with corelation to buyer's age (for obvious reasons), that would give us some insight into who's really buying original versions.

i wish sometimes, consumers/gamers could unite together, crowdfunding style, to buyback some licensing or old ip just to make it available to new devs to work on but under more cautious terms. Because unlike cinema, music or litterature, there will never be any Public Domain legacy about videogames (which i consider as an art too) at that rate and with such despicable manoeuvers
Isn't it exacly what Beamdog's done? They've bought the rights and they're in control, everybody could have probably done it, consumers/gamers groups too.
low rated
Who doesn't like native macOS and Linux versions? My primary gaming OS is macOS, so I'm super happy about that. I do have a Windows machine as well, but it sits under my TV screen which I use to play games that have controller support (currently The Witcher 3) on weekends.

And running DOSbox games on a Windows VM is just weird, since the VM's resolution isn't fixed and scales down to the size of a stamp. Pretty much.

And mods? No thank you. I still play System Shock 2 unmodded (aside from the mods that were integrated by Nightdive) and love the blurry graphics. Love 'em!

As a result this Beamdog cash-grab is just perfect for me and totally worth 13 bucks (yes I own the original). Saves time and time equals money. And I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who's just lazy when it comes to gaming (got more than enough work at work). Did I mention that Planescape: Torment will finally run natively on macOS and Linux?
Post edited April 03, 2017 by amurgaming
wormholewizards: Been waiting for this release. I am technical savvy person but I simply have no time to apply 1000 patches just to make the original version remotely playable. Insta-bought.
It took under 10 minutes for me to download and install the mods from the GOG Guide and perhaps another 10 to find a resolution setting I liked on my 17" monitor.

Having said that, I was playing the game (on Windows 10) without any mods until I got to the catacombs and hit a known bug where I couldn't speak to Lowden's dead body.
low rated
amurgaming: Who doesn't like native macOS and Linux versions?
^ This.
I"m very happy I'll be able to play PS:T without having to rely on Wine (though it worked well enough).
high rated
Jemolk: Glad I noticed this so I could grap the original Plaescape: Torment without giving money to Beamdog for their new enhanced edition.
ATimson: The original has been available on GOG for over six years; if you really care about it so much, why didn't you buy it before now? On sale, to boot?
Why not? Simple -- look at the registration date for my account here. I simply haven't had the time nor the money to pick up everything I wanted in that time. That should be explanation enough.
Ryan333: From the FAQ: "Planescape: Torment has a unique tone and it would be impossible to add significant content to the game without changing that voice. Besides Chris Avellone's additions and edits to the text, we haven't changed any of the original Planescape: Torment content."

*nods* Absolutely zero hesitation in pulling the trigger on a pre-order after reading that. This is Chris' game*. If he's still calling the shots, I'm still on-board.
I still hesitate until it's proven that it's not bugridden mess like other Beamdog "EEs", but at least game won't be ruined by some try hard "writer" who doesn't know how to sell interesting characters and makes them vomit their whole agenda the second you meet them. Which brings us main points: originals were written by good writers and programmers. EE material is not. While it's possible to rewrite story to suit actual agendas (which is dumb and kills historical aspect of a game, but whatevs) you need actual talent AND skillset (that you actually learn in writing classess) to do that.

Soo, it seems they've learned something from "Siege of Dragonspear" whether they want to admit it or not, but question remains how buggy mess it will be on launch.

P.S. Reading through youtube comments I'm almoust sorry for Beamdog, since they had to write "No content was changed since 1999. Avellone corrected only some typos and errors" under every odd comment.

P.S. 2 Whats with that downvoting? Some of the stuff thats hidden is completely non-problematic.

TL;DR version: bugs of previous EE versions makes me wait (and I don't preorder as a rule to not waste money - well, more than I already do by buying games I don't have time to play). If they somehow make workable copy I'll consider buying it.
Post edited April 04, 2017 by wolfy85
low rated
Herrick: This is nice news. I bought the original back in 2001 but didn't finish it until a couple years ago. I'll be buying this one eventually. I still haven't even beaten Baldur's Gate II yet and haven't gotten around to playing Pillars of Eternity.
Carradice: As you write this, your rep is 41.

Just measuring the downvoting effort. Are the haters going to bed? Are they being replace with fresh haters? Did they hate enough for today? Are their opinions not so much important?

You see, BD haters are systematically upvoted, while those whou write something as benign as "I like it" or "I will buy it" get massively downvoted. Thought fodder for a shrink? maybe ;)
Huh. I didn't even know posts could be rated here.
high rated
Anyone interested in trying to get this game unbundled (future tense, at this point) should check here: https://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/info_on_possibly_getting_the_classic_unbundled

Also, a Wishlist entry for not bundling PS:T with the EE (probably won't help, but can't hurt): https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/do_not_remove_the_original_planescape_torment_from_the_store
Post edited April 05, 2017 by plan99
hi, i noticed the 30% off just now, seems it lasted till april 4th ?

i own the game i got it when i joined GoG in 2014 cause i have the retail version (got it when it came out in our shops)

So did i miss a good chance for a % off on the game? or is the game not that good?

I hope i didnt miss out on a good game...

min req are very low: 1ghz

i assume the game wont run on 1024x768 ( old CRT monitor) ?

Since i own the original, i was tempted to get the remake, BUT.... after reading some of the 415 plus replies it seems the opinions differ a lot.

So is the game really worth 20 euros ? ( i missed the 4th of april deadline and to fork out 20 euros is alot of money)
Post edited April 05, 2017 by gamesfreak64
My 2 cents on : old games that dont age that well and run that well on new systems

first old games are old, and if they run they run in the original resolution so no support for huge 4k videos or whatever they call it.

I dont mind if i had a huge screen and the old game would run at its 800 or 1024 resolution, i dont have flat screens , cause i cant work with them :the colors are to bright, and even the screens that cost 5K (yup 5000 euros ) still have flaws which noone sees, but somehow i see every 'leak of colors' , 'bleeding of colors, like a disolving painting ,impossible to explain but crt are the only solution for me, i do hope they will make better flatscreens but i doubt it.

Anyway back to the game, if people want 4k videos or whatver they call it , or huge 4000x2000 pixels (if thats even possible) then buy the new games, usually these support these huge resolutions, old stuff doesnt age well on hightech screens , the code maybe fixed to run on modern hardware and windows but the graphics cant be expected to size along correclty.

I will always look for old games anytime, maybe even if i could watch a modern screen i'd still prefer the old games, cause imho many modern games cant live up to the standard we had in the 80s, the stories the feeling the excitement, most of todays game simple dont have that.

Great example of timeless classic: Jagged Alliance 2, JA2 Unfinished Bussines, i have all classics and most also on cd, these have the story and they dont need 4k videos or supergraphics, the entire game has great story and atmosphere.

The bad thing is that the old games kinda have to carry the remakes, resulting in being bundled with the new release only... thats a bad thing, and good thing at the same time cause this shows the classics are the reason to 'tolerate' the remake to be in the bundle aswell, so most of the time the classic one carries all the load.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by gamesfreak64
gamesfreak64: So is the game really worth 20 euros ? ( i missed the 4th of april deadline and to fork out 20 euros is alot of money)
If you think 20€ is too much as you already own the original (I would agree with you), there has been other good deals on the EE editions of BG and IWD sagas for the owners of the originals. So I’m sure we will see other promotions with better deals for owners of PS:T after the release.
low rated
fgorczynski: That was exactly my impression too when reading through this thread - some kind of elitism going on here, which is makes it even more ridiculous than all that 'political' context.
My big criticism of Beamdog is that they should not have added original content to the original game. The is rewriting a classic..a bad idea. They should have made the new content a optional DLC. It did not help that the new charecters, etc were badly done..and their attempt at an all original expansion for Baldur's Gate was a total disaster.
But I agree that a lot of the game cultist seem horrified at ANY attempt to make the game more accessible.
plan99: Anyone interested in trying to get this game unbundled (future tense, at this point) should check here: https://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/info_on_possibly_getting_the_classic_unbundled

Also, a Wishlist entry for not bundling PS:T with the EE (probably won't help, but can't hurt): https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/do_not_remove_the_original_planescape_torment_from_the_store
I get wanting to keep the original PST available for seperate purchase, but why the hell would anybody object to bundling the original with the EE?
Post edited April 05, 2017 by dudalb