It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
almabrds: The developer replied to this in YouTube. He/she said that you could disable this thing.
If you look at PS:T EE page here in gOg, one of the screenshots shows the outline disabled.
As to why so many comments are hit by the minus button, it's probably because people are discussing politic in the pre-order thread.
arxon: That's awesome. I'm more incline to preorder now, even tho I have a first hand experince with how buggy the Beamdog releases are on the day one :)
I'm glad to be of service. =)
dudalb: Planescape was always a much more (for lack of a better word) Intellectual setting for D and D then the Forgotten Realms. IMHO it took a really good Dungeon Master to make the Planescape universe work.Forgotten Realms was a lot easier to use for a DM.
You bet... Actually one of the advantages of Planescape was that the DM could shove almost any module/campaign: it just required some portal travel to a suitable plane and that was it. Otherwise, some adventures would be about staying in Sigil killing demons from different factions that were nothing to the players, for example...

Just to bring up an example of things that Planescape: Torment improved: The factions. To mention one, the headquarters of the Sensates appeared clearly, in the heart of the Market, while its description in the Box was little more than a stub.

Edit: little more than a stub.
Post edited March 30, 2017 by Carradice
low rated
dtgreene: In all seriousness, seeing as the main character's name is not known (or doesn't even exist), I think they (the original developers, not the ones in charge of the EE) should have made that character of ambiguous gender, or perhaps genderless.
Names are not important. Every "PC" (companion) in the game except Annah has a basically gender-neutral name.

What's important and is the focus of the narrative is the physical body that (spoiler alert for a game that's old enough to vote) was at different times the host of different personalities and is now the host of the one you play. The body is by design ugly, scarred, and corpse-like. That's a major, conscious design choice in the game -- it's named Torment for a reason. The character is not ever going to look hot, attractive, pleasing to the eye, blinged out, and is never going to fit among white-picket-fence people.

The designers also made the arbitrary choice to have the body look masculine, and wrote a number of romantic subplots with, of course, female characters (it was 1999). The protagonist doesn't have to reciprocate, but multiple character being/having been romantically interested is important to the plot. (I don't remember if the game supports a genderless reading, but I won't be surprised if it does.)

However, the fact that it's not possible to adjust the appearance of the body to one more pleasing to the player is a feature, and the game would be much worse otherwise.

---
Also, while I'm at that:

Numa allowing the player to customize gender and only gender is a very early piece of evidence for its lazy, unambitious design. There was potential for a great, transcendental metaphor that could've made Numa a masterpiece on the level of Watchmen or Spider and Web or The Neverending Story or Spectral Stalkers and they bungled it from the outset.

The premise: an extremely powerful entity is interacting, perhaps of cosmic boredom, with the world through custom-designed avatars that it creates. You play a consciousness that gets to inhabit an avatar when the entity is done with it (for an unclear reason). They should've either not let the player pick a body AT ALL (for roughly the same reasons as in PS:T -- someone else made that body and you're stuck with it) or allowed a wide selection of completely [s]batshit[/s] ahem, unorthodox choices (like the companions of PS:T). Or maybe randomize it. Instead, they made a design decision that's lazy, cowardly and conciliatory to the lowest denominator (so, in line with the rest of the game, hur hur.)
low rated
dudalb: You win the over the top rant of the month competition.
HunchBluntley: I dunno, there wasn't enough ridiculous hyperbole in it for my taste. He didn't compare it to the Holocaust even once, or use the phrase "brainwashed masses/sheeple". 6/10
EDIT: At least richlind33 implied a slippery slope argument that a private video game company removing a game from individual sale could somehow lead to the gummint suspending First Amendment rights. He wasn't flashy, but he had panache.
+1 and thanks for the complement, bro. ;p
yasw: Will the GOG version get achievements as well?
amurgaming: https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq mentions only Steam achievements.
This sucks ass. When will companies stop giving priority to Steam? Stop giving us inferior versions, asshats.
low rated
amurgaming: https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq mentions only Steam achievements.
almabrds: This sucks ass. When will companies stop giving priority to Steam? Stop giving us inferior versions, asshats.
Because Steam has a LOT more customers then GOG. Welcome to the real world.
Although I admit I have never given a shit about achievements.
almabrds: This sucks ass. When will companies stop giving priority to Steam? Stop giving us inferior versions, asshats.
dudalb: Because Steam has a LOT more customers then GOG.
I dind't ask WHY, I asked when, cap. obvious. And only future will tell. Hopefully some game companies will see that Steam is not a godly store like some believe, by kissing their ass at every opportunity, and start treating clients of other stores as equal. They better, if it wasn't for their clients they wouldn't pay their bills or put food in their tables.
Hopefully we won't need for Steam to die first.
Unfortunately there's not many big fish siding with gOg. If more of them come here, we can expect to see many small fish following their example.

gogskel: Hm, I guess that was expecting too much, but I kind of hoped the Enhanced Edition would somehow include multiplayer.
I'm glad there isn't, I wouldn't trust Beamdog to create a decent multiplayer mode for PS:T, not in a million years.
Post edited March 30, 2017 by almabrds
low rated
TO be honest, I think that PT is not the kind of game that lends itself to "acheivments" ,. A bit too serous a game for that kind of thing.
high rated
Vythonaut: Why Beamdog is wasting resources to remaster perfectly playable games? Wouldn't be better to put all this effort down to create something original instead?

Questions aside, both Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale as well as PS:T are perfectly playable in 2017 in their vanilla versions (although i'd definitely recommend at least the Widescreen Patch to make them easier on your eyes with the side-effect of making them graphics even more gorgeous), let alone using the very good mods that are out there.

Anyway, i'm completely indifferent about that company as i haven't played any of their enhanced editions myself (i see no reason to do it since i own everything in retail form), but it's definitely a good thing that they offer the original GOG versions of the games as well.
Create another game? Riiight, we all know how that turned out: Dragonspear. anyone?
No, I'll keep my money in my pocket since I already own the original and I am not feeling any love for greedy grubs that take an age and a half to fix the newly introduced bugs in a remaster.
Post edited March 31, 2017 by jorlin
high rated
When a company is getting even more stick than Bioware got from the ME3 ending, they have screwed up massively somewhere.
dudalb: Although I admit I have never given a shit about achievements.
Same here.
high rated
Achievements are for Hamsters who cannot enjoy a game without running in a wheel.

Pretty much the human being every government is happy to have.
Post edited March 31, 2017 by MaGo72
high rated
Just to point out the obvious: It's actually possible to be critical of moneygrabbing dogturds independent of whatever personal political stance you may have. The company have made diabolical decisions every step of the way, and quite frankly, it would be a bit odd to not be critical to them at this stage. Hence my satirical comparison earlier about what it would take.
yasw: Will the GOG version get achievements as well?
GOG has announced their Galaxy application will be released in April with the feature for achievements. They have worked on achievements for games in the BETA version of Galaxy, but of course not everything in a BETA version of software makes it into the final release. The possibility for achievements in a game did actually make it.

So, in Galaxy 1.2 after it's released in April achievements become an official feature possible in games on GOG. Then after that the game developers can confidently modify their own games themselves to support an official feature of the non-beta version of Galaxy from GOG.
low rated
MaGo72: Achievements are for Hamsters who cannot enjoy a game without running in a wheel.

Pretty much the human being every government is happy to have.
Isn't that the truth.

Next there'll be a client that breastfeeds you and changes your nappy while it sucks your bank account dry.