It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

cw8: Hope it's not the other way around.
Gonchi: There'll be Kickstarter drama if it is.
I'll be one of the first starting the drama if it is. :D But I doubt they'll piss off the backers.
Niggles: *sigh*.
why do they even need a marketing/distributor? Can someone explain?
My thought as well, thanks for summing up my unposted post (it got so long that I was confusing myself about what I was saying, so I cancelled it).
Gonchi: There'll be Kickstarter drama if it is.
cw8: I'll be one of the first starting the drama if it is. :D But I doubt they'll piss off the backers.
If it comes to pass and if you do than.....

INB4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ca45JRFs
Yeah, that's lovely.
Bee-trail!
There's a FAQ thread here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65751-pillars-of-eternity-%E2%80%93-partnership-faq-for-backers/
One of the reasons developers use Kickstarter is to work around publishers, so they don't need to pay them fees and such. With over 4 million in funding it's not exactly a AAA budget RPG, but I would think it would be enough for them to publish it themselves and put out a budgeted, highly polished product.

Paradox must've offered some sort of incentive for Obsidian. Not sure what that is though. I'm not a pro on the whole distribution thing. Nor am I a user of steam. But I've written into Paradox before asking about GOG releases (no response for the most recent message), especially due to their page on their website declaring their "no DRM" policy, but I know that's to be taken lightly and not in the same notion as DRM-free. But I would purchase every single one of their games if they released their entire catalog on GOG. It's my kind of stuff.

I pledged $75 for PoE (for the main game and expansion) in the beginning on Kickstarter. It's also the project that led me initially to GOG (notice my registered date is October 2012, during their initial campaign!).

If PoE didn't come to GOG, this will be one very upset GOG member and gamer... but I'll stay positive :D
Post edited March 18, 2014 by JinseiNGC224
I guess this partnership is more because of the handling of the physical copies of the game (both for backers fullfiling and future retail copies too), is more cheap for Obsidian make a contract with a publisher for this. inXile is doing the same for Wasteland 2 and probably Torment: Tides of Numenera too (but they're using Deep Silver for that) or even CD Project RED getting a publisher for their retail copies
Post edited March 18, 2014 by gandalf.nho
JinseiNGC224: I pledged $75 for PoE (for the main game and expansion) in the beginning on Kickstarter. It's also the project that led me initially to GOG (notice my registered date is October 2012, during their initial campaign!).

If PoE didn't come to GOG, this will be one very upset GOG member and gamer... but I'll stay positive :D
I pledged $160. I'll be very upset if it doesn't come to GOG too. lol
JinseiNGC224: I pledged $75 for PoE (for the main game and expansion) in the beginning on Kickstarter. It's also the project that led me initially to GOG (notice my registered date is October 2012, during their initial campaign!).

cw8: I pledged $160. I'll be very upset if it doesn't come to GOG too. lol
Honestly has anyone tweeted Obsidian or Paradox on this yet?
gandalf.nho: I guess this partnership is more because of the handling of the physical copies of the game (both for backers fullfiling and future retail copies too), is more cheap for Obsidian make a contract with a publisher for this. inXile is doing the same for Wasteland 2 and probably Torment: Tides of Numenera too (but they're using Deep Silver for that) or even CD Project RED getting a publisher for their retail copies
That seems the most sensible thing. I just hope paradox has NO say in how digital copies are supplied at all. Crap. Game better be still DRM free on the physical copies supplied for KS backers
Good agreement, similar to what Inxile are doing with WL2 and Deep Silver. But I would say that Paradox have perhaps the worst DLC model in the entire games industry.
This game is one of my huge upcoming wants 1) because of what it is and 2) because I was fairly sure it was going to be a DRM free digital distribution wonder

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this means that Paradox is leaning toward Steam free, DRM free games and NOT that Paradox is taking Project Eternity over to DRM / client land :( I'd be majorly bummed (or VERY excited if it meant Crusader Kings 2 were coming to GoG)

And if anyone from Paradox is reading this - I've bought your games... but ONLY when they were DRM free on Amazon! I'd buy at least 3 more if you offered previous Steam-only titles here!

*edit* And how close are we to the release of this one? And, because someone brought it up - how far off is WL2? Thought that one was sooner rather than later but now I'm not so sure...
Post edited March 19, 2014 by Ixamyakxim
Ixamyakxim: This game is one of my huge upcoming wants 1) because of what it is and 2) because I was fairly sure it was going to be a DRM free digital distribution wonder

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this means that Paradox is leaning toward Steam free, DRM free games and NOT that Paradox is taking Project Eternity over to DRM / client land :( I'd be majorly bummed (or VERY excited if it meant Crusader Kings 2 were coming to GoG)
They're still releasing a DRM-free digital version through GOG. Link.

Ixamyakxim: *edit* And how close are we to the release of this one?
No idea about WL2, but Obs is saying PoE will release by then end of this year.
Wasteland 2 will definitely be out before PoE, WL2 is in beta now on Steam and are under 3 months until feature complete, while PoE beta is a while off.