It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Actually, the stuff I'm concerned about isn't really just traditional things like resting to recover spells, apparently the attribute system in PE is going to be very, very different than IE/D&D games, stuff that doesn't even make sense like Intellect making it do you do more damage in combat, while Strength has no impact on damage in melee or ranged damage (like bows), so it's more than just D&D tradition, it's common sense. I don't think there's even Strength requirements for equipping heavy weapons. The vibe I'm personally getting from Obsidian is a really intense hatred of Advanced D&D mechanics, especially ability scores, THAC0, and also a bit of obsession with "balance" in a single-player game, overall a desire to "fix" what was never broken (at least in the eyes of most fans of the IE games).

I think InXile currently with Wasteland have done a great job with tweaking and "modernizing" the original Wasteland/MSPE ruleset for WL2 (the new CLASSIC system) while keeping true to it's essence, they have made some bold decisions like replacing "rolling" for attributes with a point-buy system, and also not tying the amount of skill points each character gets to IQ (but only in character creation). They have also borrowed heavily from Fallout for the combat system (especially the Action Point system).

Obsidian on the other hand have basically tossed out the entirety of the D&D rules and gone with something shaping up to be very different (for good or bad) with PE. While InXile basically kept the core of the old system but modified it.

But if they manage to pull it off, I guess it won't matter, but of course there's a risk with a project based almost entirely on nostalgia of old games, that if the new game isn't reminiscent enough of those old games and how they played, backers could be put off.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by Crosmando
Crosmando: stuff that doesn't even make sense like Intellect making it do you do more damage in damage,
I don't know that makes a little sense. Think of a doctor's knowledge of the human body and being able to inflict damage to major organs. However, Strength should still add on to damage, and even dexterity (hand-eye coordination) and luck.

I do like the D&D rule set, but it's probably because I have been playing it for 30+ years now. Matter of fact in my younger days I didn't like playing RPG's not based on D&D. Morrowind changed that.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by jjsimp
Still not sure if I want to pay the extra $75 to get the CE box edition instead of the normal box edition.
Bah, boxes are the one thing I don't want back from that era, I don't know how we ever coped without digital games tbh
Crosmando: Bah, boxes are the one thing I don't want back from that era, I don't know how we ever coped without digital games tbh
I want boxes badly. CE box tier includes the Beta as well and the T-shirt.
Crosmando: Bah, boxes are the one thing I don't want back from that era, I don't know how we ever coped without digital games tbh
cw8: I want boxes badly. CE box tier includes the Beta as well and the T-shirt.
I was wondering if the shirt came with the CE. It's not mentioned. There was a retail box and a retail box+shirt if I remember correctly. The add on store is closed for purchasing one.
I'm getting CE for sure. Boxes were the only goodies I really cared about.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by SLP2000
Oh, I haven't really looked into the whole attribute affair yet (I'm a slacker backer, so I only skimmed through most of the updates and then forgot the details :P), but I do hope they know what they're doing.

And I noticed the lowest pledge tier now costs $35! Good thing I pledged when it was still $29 :D

As for boxes, yeah, that awakens the collector in you. I only go one CE box (and my first and only pre-order ever, if you exclude kickstarters), the ME3 one! Just wanted to have that freaking game!!
SLP2000: I'm getting CE for sure. Boxes were the only goodies I really cared about.
Really steep though, decisions, decisions
The only CE's I ever got were BG2 and Civilization 4...not counting the WL2 and Torment. Seriously considering upping for this one.
Post edited December 26, 2013 by jjsimp
Sadly, wizards will still have to rest to be able to use their spells again! :(
There are different grimoires we can swap though, if I understood it correctly!
And we have wands! Hoooray :D

Crosmando was about the attributes, though [url=http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64712-attribute-theory/?p=1400427]here's an explanation from Sawyer about that (the details are on that page and the following). Seems like Intellect affecting damage is ultimately enitrely a balance thing.

Can't wait to see how this game plays. Will probably play as a Wizard or a Cipher first. Like always :P

I hate these forums, can't edit the fucked up link right :/ -> I DID IT!
Post edited December 26, 2013 by Reever
Reever: Seems like Intellect affecting damage is ultimately enitrely a balance thing.
Intellect should affect spell dmg. If it affects melee dmg, it sounds kinda irrelevant.
Well, he was argumenting that Strength as an attribute is also only relevant for melee damage and it doesn't make sense with other types of damage.
Intellect may just show that you know how and where to hit.

I mean, you can rationalize everything. And I think this will be the last thing which would keep me from enjoying the game. We'll just have to adapt a bit to the new system.
Looks like they're going to start another KS campaign in spring next year!

I'd really like them to start a Sci-Fi franchise.
The only type of sci-fi that is decent is the gritty and dirty kind, with rusted metallic equipment, for "down to earth" kinda look. The worst type is Mass Effect/Star Trek (modern) sci-fi which is slick, shiny, "clean" and sanitized. That kind of sci-fi is just as generic and bad as most high fantasy.

In fact I'd rather call stuff like Mass Effect "space fantasy" than science-fiction.
Post edited December 31, 2013 by Crosmando