It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"And this coming from a guy living in a country famous for pirating stuff from the internet"

Gee, thanks for that sweeping generalization. Really nice to know that other countries think that all Poles do nothing but pirate software and steal cars while drinking vodka.
JudasIscariot: "And this coming from a guy living in a country famous for pirating stuff from the internet"

Gee, thanks for that sweeping generalization. Really nice to know that other countries think that all Poles do nothing but pirate software and steal cars while drinking vodka.
I have no problem with drinking Vodka & pirating ... with stealing cars ...I do :D
GameRager: By pirate I mean download something(movie/song/game) that isn't free/freeware and use it without paying or stream such media from non-authorized sites(Like movie viewing sites)....I don't count looking at pics on google or streaming most stuff on youtube, btw.
spinefarm: Even 1 mp3 count as piracy. So yeah that was my point too.
Not to be pedantic, and I don't know for other countries, but here, you would have to actually distribute copyrighted work to fell to the dark side. As long it's for yourself or someone in your family circle (extended to close friends), nobody can't say anything... Yep, it's legal to download files illegally distributed... so actual pirates are a minority, and not "everyone with a computer".
spinefarm: Even 1 mp3 count as piracy. So yeah that was my point too.
Scureuil: Not to be pedantic, and I don't know for other countries, but here, you would have to actually distribute copyrighted work to fell to the dark side. As long it's for yourself or someone in your family circle (extended to close friends), nobody can't say anything... Yep, it's legal to download files illegally distributed... so actual pirates are a minority, and not "everyone with a computer".
And with that you killed the oposition of pirates :D
gameon: The big announcement by GOG.com tomorrow is going to be awesome, and a free game will be given away. Excellent for everyone, no need for piracy.
What if I want to save GOG bandwidth?
spinefarm: ...
Not that I care that much but I thought I'd point out whenever you talk in absolutes like that it kind of loses your argument for you. Whatever you may personally believe, most people are not going to think a 5 year old who stole a candy bar once is the same as a career cat burglar. Technically they may both be "thieves", but that's somewhat like maintaining there's little difference between a canary and an eagle. Playing with language in a really rigid way does not usually make for a good argument.
That site is barely a threat to actual game sales. All games you showed seem to have been downloaded less then 160 times.

They actually put a lot of effort on that site archiving games, or so it seems. Collecting all games in existence, as if it's a museum. As a gamer and art lover in general I respect that, even though it's a shame it's being done without consent of the developers / publishers. Criminals always have more tools to do this then people who use legal means, unfortunately. People who steal art can easier obtain a Picasso then a museum could.

It's only recently that GoG came by and showed an acceptable alternative for old collectors. Same as when Steam showed a digital distribution alternative to pirates of new games. If publishers keep making their old games available for digital distribution, then the market for those old game collecting pirates will diminish.

I think those pirating sites need to be more scared of digital distribution then the other way around.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by ForzaAlessio
ForzaAlessio: People who steal art can easier obtain a Picasso then a museum could.
To be fair if I could copy a large part of the Louvre's collection without harming the originals or denying anyone else's access to them I'd do it too.

As for archival, I'm all for that, the source code for Adventure was completely lost for decades until someone plugged in an old backup medium and found it. That kind of thing is a tragedy to me.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by orcishgamer
Nothing new here.
Immoli: What if I want to save GOG bandwidth?
gameon: I'm sure there will be plenty of time to download. There might be some sort of queue system, i dont know.
I think he was only partially serious. ;)

Also iirc you just click to add the game to your cart when it's free and it goes to your shelf, so you don't even need to download it at that time or get in a queue to hopefully get it before the free period ends. :)
orcishgamer: Adventure
A part of me hopes this is the legendary "RPG" Gog is talking about. I mean it's kind of RPG-ish if you think about it, sort of, maybe, a little. I, for one, really identify with the hero square. I hate giant flying seahorses just as much as he does.
orcishgamer: Adventure
Darling_Jimmy: A part of me hopes this is the legendary "RPG" Gog is talking about. I mean it's kind of RPG-ish if you think about it, sort of, maybe, a little. I, for one, really identify with the hero square. I hate giant flying seahorses just as much as he does.
He was referring to Adventure also known as Colossal caves or Colossal Cave adventure it was the first text adventure and inspired Zork.

Your thinking of Adventure on Atari
Post edited April 04, 2012 by DCT
DCT: He was referring to Adventure also known as Colossal caves or Colossal Cave adventure it was the first text adventure and inspired Zork.

Oh. This is the first I've ever heard of Colossal Cave Adventure referred to simply as Adventure. Well, a part of me hopes Gog gets that one too.
DCT: He was referring to Adventure also known as Colossal caves or Colossal Cave adventure it was the first text adventure and inspired Zork.

Darling_Jimmy: Oh. This is the first I've ever heard of Colossal Cave Adventure referred to simply as Adventure. Well, a part of me hopes Gog gets that one too.
Shouldn't be too hard the game,along with Rogue, has been in the public domain for sometime.
But yeah Colossal Cave Adventure had a few different names, Colossal Cave, Adventure, Advent, ect.
gameon: I'm sure there will be plenty of time to download. There might be some sort of queue system, i dont know.
GameRager: I think he was only partially serious. ;)
This.