It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Immoli: Also there are people who work and are poor.
Yep, I live in a country full of them. But being poor and not being able to feed yourself are two different things. I guess it's been too long since I lived in the West to really understand how it works, but I was under the impression that as long as you're not wasting money on stuff you don't need, if you have a job you should be able to feed yourself. Like I said, maybe I'm just wrong about that.
Immoli: Bullshit. What he's saying is true.
You came in here saying "If people can't afford to buy games, how do they have a computer?!?! CHECKMATE!"
Then people explain to you how that would happen, and then you sprout the same bullshit again in a later post, ignoring what was explained to you, then decided to post it once more in this post for good measure.

You are a prime example of someone who is not acknowledging that something you believe is false.
Neobr10: Of course i wont change my opinion about that. No one posted an argument convincing enough. People just come up with exceptions, like "imagina that poor boy from a poor country who got his PC from charity", blablabla. My friend, exceptions just prove the rule. Yep, there are exceptions, to every rule there is an exception. But i still firmly believe that at least 95% of those who can afford a gaming PC can afford games.

So, the guy who has a 100 dollars GPU and cant afford a 5 dollars STeam/GOG game. Oh yeah, right.

Also, as a guy above me alredy said, starving people probably have other more important things to do other than pirating games.
You've just demonstrated that you don't know what the word "prove" means. Because that expression means more or less the complete opposite of what you think it means.

But, when it comes to gaming, it doesn't take a lot, now if you're referring solely to newer releases, you have a point, but for many of us, we play older games so that we don't need a special computer for gaming. At this point many new releases will run just fine on older hardware if you don't need to have the graphics maxed out.
MonstaMunch: Yep, I live in a country full of them. But being poor and not being able to feed yourself are two different things. I guess it's been too long since I lived in the West to really understand how it works, but I was under the impression that as long as you're not wasting money on stuff you don't need, if you have a job you should be able to feed yourself. Like I said, maybe I'm just wrong about that.
You're mostly right. You shouldn't have any trouble feeding yourself, but in my home town you can easily find yourself homeless while employed, or living on the razors edge of homelessness living paycheck to paycheck.

I've been surprised at how well people have been doing in pretty much every part of China I've been to. It's not a luxury lifestyle, but I know people in the US that aren't living as well.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by hedwards
spinefarm: Actually you are wrong. In the city I live there is a municipal free wi-fi network.It is not good on speed,but still it's free :)
MonstaMunch: My point wasn't that internet costs money. It's that if you can't afford to feed yourself, maybe you should be using that free internet to try and find a job instead of torrenting games.
Or they torrent them at school and sneakernet them back home...

Also there's a number of free or low cost internet charities in developing nations. I read about another new charity to do just that again this week.
MonstaMunch: Yep, I live in a country full of them. But being poor and not being able to feed yourself are two different things. I guess it's been too long since I lived in the West to really understand how it works, but I was under the impression that as long as you're not wasting money on stuff you don't need, if you have a job you should be able to feed yourself. Like I said, maybe I'm just wrong about that.
I can't say about the UK but in the US you can find yourself with no place to live and no transportation. You'll need both to maintain your job but the job's wages don't really cover that stuff in some areas. We're not talking nice areas of the city here, either, these are the places they find meth labs and shit.

A lot of people are living one bad illness or car breakdown from being out of a job and destitute. Luckily there are places you can go and pick up food sometimes, I know there's a been a serious strain on them in the past few years.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by orcishgamer
Neobr10: And in my opinion youre being way too arrogant. Youre just mad because not everyone agrees with you. In a debate, you have to expect that not everyone will agree with you.
Immoli: Bullshit. What he's saying is true.
You came in here saying "If people can't afford to buy games, how do they have a computer?!?! CHECKMATE!"
Then people explain to you how that would happen, and then you sprout the same bullshit again in a later post, ignoring what was explained to you, then decided to post it once more in this post for good measure.

You are a prime example of someone who is not acknowledging that something you believe is false.
It's amazing how stubborn some can be that they'll keep holding onto every little bit of their beliefs even when proven wrong. I mean, it's not like i'm telling people to change the ENTIRE belief on the subject at hand or convert to my "side"......just that a part of it is factually wrong & they should at least be willing to acknowledge such. But they don't...meaning they either want to cling to every bit of their beliefs and deny the facts for some reason or they are just using said un-truths they sometimes spout to try to "win" the "argument".
Neobr10: Of course i wont change my opinion about that. No one posted an argument convincing enough. People just come up with exceptions, like "imagina that poor boy from a poor country who got his PC from charity", blablabla. My friend, exceptions just prove the rule. Yep, there are exceptions, to every rule there is an exception. But i still firmly believe that at least 95% of those who can afford a gaming PC can afford games.

So, the guy who has a 100 dollars GPU and cant afford a 5 dollars STeam/GOG game. Oh yeah, right.

Also, as a guy above me alredy said, starving people probably have other more important things to do other than pirating games.
Oddly enough you just DID change your opinion, if only a bit.......originally you sounded like you were saying ALL people who had PCs could afford to buy games. Now you claim it's around 95%. So you did in fact change your mind, if only a bit. And THIS is what I was getting at. People should be willing to change their minds on some SMALLER matters when confronted with evidence to the contrary......I wasn't saying one should be expected to change their minds 100% on an issue due to part of their beliefs being wrong, just that they acknowledge that a small part of their beliefs is wrong and change their beliefs by that small bit to reflect that(while keeping their core belief intact that is.).

Some, however, can't or won't change their beliefs if even by that small bit...even if presented with proof to the contrary. It's those such people that sicken me, not those who won't change their ENTIRE beliefs based on what I say. I don't expect people to change their entire beliefs based on what I say, just to be open to restructure said beliefs(if only by that small bit that I had proven to be wrong) when part of it is proven to be wrong.....and also for them to thereafter not parrot said wrong aspects of said beliefs after being proven wrong.
I still maintain my stance that if you have an internet connection, a computer, and no job, you should be using your computer and internet to get yourself a job, or at least try. If you can't feed yourself, playing video games should be the least of your priorities.

I also maintain that stealing food because you're hungry and stealing video games because you're bored are two very different things. One I can sympathize with, the other I can't.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by MonstaMunch
MonstaMunch: I still maintain my stance that if you have an internet connection, a computer, and no job, you should be using your computer and internet to get yourself a job, or at least try. If you can't feed yourself, playing video games should be the least of your priorities.

I also maintain that stealing food because you're hungry and stealing video games because you're bored are two very different things. One I can sympathize with, the other I can't.
What if you can't work due to disability and live on gov't income? ;|
GameRager: ]What if you can't work due to disability and live on gov't income? ;|
Are you asking if that makes it ok to steal food, or video games? <.<
GameRager: ]What if you can't work due to disability and live on gov't income? ;|
MonstaMunch: Are you asking if that makes it ok to steal food, or video games? <.<
Neither......I was just answering your reply that if you have a PC and no job that you should use it to find work(to pay for what you want or need...etc).
MonstaMunch: I still maintain my stance that if you have an internet connection, a computer, and no job, you should be using your computer and internet to get yourself a job, or at least try. If you can't feed yourself, playing video games should be the least of your priorities.

And you don't pirate at all right? People enough with this bullshit already...everybody pirates from the Internet... either is a game/movie/mp3s/software.... it's not right but everybody is doing it (Ok maybe 10% of the world don't do it,but that is not a fact). It is just funny how people come in here and start pointing fingers at pirates and in the same time they are not that pure on that matter ;)
This is not The Holy Inquisition right?

spinefarm: And you don't pirate at all right? People enough with this bullshit already...everybody pirates from the Internet... either is a game/movie/mp3s/software.... it's not right but everybody is doing it (Ok maybe 10% of the world don't do it,but that is not a fact). It is just funny how people come in here and start pointing fingers at pirates and in the same time they are not that pure on that matter ;)
Hey, not to be mean or anything but Monsta is at least willing to listen to the other side more than others here. Cut him some slack for me, ok? ;)
spinefarm: And you don't pirate at all right? People enough with this bullshit already...everybody pirates from the Internet... either is a game/movie/mp3s/software.... it's not right but everybody is doing it (Ok maybe 10% of the world don't do it,but that is not a fact). It is just funny how people come in here and start pointing fingers at pirates and in the same time they are not that pure on that matter ;)
GameRager: Hey, not to be mean or anything but Monsta is at least willing to listen to the other side more than others here. Cut him some slack for me, ok? ;)
It just funny enough already with all the puritans in the thread... nothing more :)
spinefarm: It just funny enough already with all the puritans in the thread... nothing more :)
Let's not take what I was saying out of context. I was disputing the over used argument that it's ok to pirate games simply due to being broke. I don't go for that, I think it's bull. That doesn't mean I think it's never ok under any circumstances.

With regards to my own history with piracy, I believe I've given plenty of details in other threads....
spinefarm: And you don't pirate at all right? People enough with this bullshit already...everybody pirates from the Internet...
I don't usually resort to personal attacks but I'll make an exception just for you.
"A thief thinks everyone steals" - does this sound familiar at all ? Are you truly so blinded by your own corrupt mind that you cannot possibly imagine people doing otherwise ? Are you so naive as to think that if "everybody's doing it" then, obviously, it must be right ? If someone says something is wrong and yet does it himself, does this really automatically imply that WHAT HE SAYS is wrong ?
Your reasoning is riddled with fallacies, your attempts at denigrating EVERY HUMAN BEING just to make yourself not feel bad in comparison are ridiculously small-minded, your posts are extremist is exactly the wrong way - they attempt to undermine the values on which GOG was built.
Rethink your life before any further attempts to manifest your imaginary superiority.
Vestin, dude, chillax a bit....I honestly think Spinefarm is just letting his emotions get the better of him here along with (possibly) not saying what he wants to say in the correct manner/using the correct words. I know the feeling as i've often mis-expressed what I wanted to say here and elsewhere to the point where people thought I was saying something totally different.

Just my two cents.......I am willing to accept if i'm later proven to be wrong, btw.