It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pheace: This is really, really not true. I know of several sites that have the *entire* GOG collection available, and they still get added to whenever a new one comes out. It's out there, and it's being pirated.
stonebro: And which sites are these?

Sekrit sites that only you know about?
NYAH! Give us those names Pheace!
Does it make you angry because you had to pay for your games, but the pirates got their piece for free? Don't be! You did what's right, and that is the only thing that has any importance. When people find that feeling in themselves, that's where the real courage lies. Flailing your arms and cursing left and right only obscures the "vision", and blunts you to the fact that you can't win this one. That is, of course, unless you already won by default. See third sentence.

Hmm, I'm feeling kinda poetic today it would seem. tl;dr version: what are you blowing steam for? It's as if it has any real effect either way.

Though I must say, sending bogus virus reports in the torrent comments makes for some fun in the sun.
Post edited April 01, 2012 by Titanium
spinefarm: Mate there are ppl out there that can't aford bread to eat...so for them is expensive :) 5-10$ is not much...but still I don't believe numbers like that hurt so much and actually I think piracy is helping sites like GOG... do you see a Steam section on sites like that?
Fuzzyfireball: If they can't afford bread to eat, they should maybe think about selling their computer instead of downloading games all day.
Not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing. For real. Not like I'm not sympathetic, but there's a time to play games... when you're going hungry is not that time.
Titanium: Does it make you angry because you had to pay for your games, but the pirates got their piece for free? Don't be! You did what's right, and that is the only thing that has any importance. When people find that feeling in themselves, that's where the real courage lies. Flailing your arms and cursing left and right only obscures the "vision", and blunts you to the fact that you can't win this one. That is, of course, unless you already won by default. See third sentence.
Well said.

I would give plus your rep for this (I've seen this term or soemthing like mentioned in other threads) but I don't know how. I did click on the "+" next to "rate this post" but it doesn't appear it made your rep go up.
spinefarm: I have one thing tha bothers my mind: Actually how many of you pirate stuff from internet - music/movies/games/software. Will say without hesitating? Or most of the ppl here are hypocrites .
I download LOTS of music from YouTube, song by song, occasionally from Filestube (whole albums) but not usually. I stream plenty of TV shows, not many movies since I don't have the patience for them to load nor really the time to complete one. I do have 100+ movies on my external hard drives (mainly action), more if I hadn't deleted the "dumb" ones. ;) I've only pirated a few major games (a friend got me torrented Borderlands, Halo 3, COD:MW2), and I haven't even played them yet. Honest enough?

Honestly, the reason I pirate so much music is because I don't have my own credit card. If I did, and I could actually get the song EASILY from iTunes, I think I would. (Or at least buy it from iTunes, then download it from YT for a DRM-free copy. ;)

Thing is, I really respect what GOG is doing. The only times they've really let me down is when I hear a bunch of people complaining about how a game doesn't work on Windows 7. I've had one or two opportunites to give people sweet games, but then I've been like, "Y'know? GOG trusts me not to do this. These people can live without this game," so I don't do it. It's the morally and spiritually correct thing to do.

Here's the one exception to the rule: I gave my brother a copy of my Far Cry, cause I thought it might make him happy. And he did seem to enjoy it; he's down without fast internet right now, and still plays it occasionally.
Post edited April 01, 2012 by tfishell
tfishell: (Or at least buy it from iTunes, then download it from YT for a DRM-free copy. ;)
Songs on iTunes are actually DRM-free. They removed DRM a few years ago.
tfishell: Honestly, the reason I pirate so much music is because I don't have my own credit card. If I did, and I could actually get the song EASILY from iTunes, I think I would. (Or at least buy it from iTunes, then download it from YT for a DRM-free copy. ;)
Do you ever go to grocery stores? Why not pick up an iTunes gift card or prepaid credit card? Also, iTunes music is DRM free.
spinefarm: Games - pricing is awfull for me and I can't afford most of the AAA titles
Oh, so you can afford a gaming PC that can actually run modern AAA titles and you have no money to buy games? Oh, ok, please tell me about how poor you are. Im feeling so bad for you.

Cmon, cry me a fucking river.

By the way, you do realise that you can get such AAA titles pretty cheap if you wait a few months, right? If youre obsessive about having games on day one, expect to pay higher prices, thats how it works.

spinefarm: So yes lame excuses,but if you put urself in my shoes and live here for awhile you will understand my point.
So if i put myself into a murderers shoes ill understand his point? Wrong things are wrong no matter how. Youre getting stuff for free when there are a lot of people who worked hard all day to make it. I cant see how this would be the right thing to do. You know, people who work for the games industry, those who work hard, are just as human as we are, they need stuff just like we do. Nothing will make it right to get their work for free. They deserve to get something for what they made. Thats how things should work.
Post edited April 01, 2012 by Neobr10
Neobr10: Wrong things are wrong no matter how.
I hope you don't take this as some sort of insult or personal attack, but if there's one thing I've learned over the many, many years I've walkd this planet, it's that rarely are things as black and white as we might like.

Just trying to offer a suggestion that might help you understand and accept life a little more.
spinefarm: ...

I will tell you right away my reasons for pirating stuff:

Games - pricing is awfull for me and I can't afford most of the AAA titles

So yes lame excuses,but if you put urself in my shoes and live here for awhile you will understand my point.
I see. So by your logic, since Lamborghinis and Ferraris are wildly overpriced and I can't afford them, I am justified in stealing one of each. The mind of thieves never ceases to amaze me.
Immoli: Guy has job and can afford PC and games and buys them.
Guy gets laid off, fired, serious illness, ect.
Guy can no longer afford games as he has to take care of bills, but he still has the computer from when he could afford things.

Also, they could have been given the computer for free.

Not hard to imagine a scenario in which someone can't afford games but has a computer.
Neobr10: Oh yeah? Your logic can be used to justify anything, even stealing.

Guy buys a car.
Guy then gets laid off, fired, serious illnes.
Guy can no longer afford gas and maintenance as he has to take care of bills.

Guy then can steal gas and tires, it doesnt matter.

I know piracy and theft are not the same thing. Still, it serves well to show that your logic is flawed.
You might be interested in this http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Read-The-Starfall-Team/dp/1595770003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333325470&sr=8-1

Now, I will try to help you walk through this.
You ask "If someone can't spend $6 on a gog game, how did he afford a PC?"
To which I respond with the example of getting laid off but having bought the computer before.
That was NOT an argument that piracy is okay (though I do think it is), it was merely an example of how one can have a computer while not being able to afford a $6 game.

Considering your response though. Piracy and theft is not the same thing. If one cannot afford to buy X and they steal it then the other person is lacking X. However, if one cannot afford to buy X and they pirate it then no one is lacking X.

But again, that was not an argument for why piracy is okay, that was an example of how someone can have a computer while being unable to afford games.
spinefarm: ...

I will tell you right away my reasons for pirating stuff:

Games - pricing is awfull for me and I can't afford most of the AAA titles

So yes lame excuses,but if you put urself in my shoes and live here for awhile you will understand my point.
puviani: I see. So by your logic, since Lamborghinis and Ferraris are wildly overpriced and I can't afford them, I am justified in stealing one of each. The mind of thieves never ceases to amaze me.
You are mixing different things but nvm.... By my logic ppl like you pointing fingers and at the same time watching YouTube and shit,deserve to be left outside of the internet cause they are hypocrates.

By definition when you watch a video not released by the musician on Youtube you are a pirate too. And that makes Youtube one of the big pirates out there :)
Post edited April 02, 2012 by spinefarm
tfishell: (Or at least buy it from iTunes, then download it from YT for a DRM-free copy. ;)
Neobr10: Songs on iTunes are actually DRM-free. They removed DRM a few years ago.
Oh good, that I did not know. I have a Sansa thingie.

Darling_Jimmy: Do you ever go to grocery stores? Why not pick up an iTunes gift card or prepaid credit card? Also, iTunes music is DRM free.
I do not, I basically live on campus (we have a small grocery store, campus shop, credit union, and a few other shops within easy walking distance) - no car, I don't want to bother friends, etc. Happened to go to Steak and Shake last night, that was probably the first time in weeks that I got significantly off-campus.

It's just much more convenient right now to get the music from teh Tube; I'll go honest when I graduate (a little more than a year). Well, except for music NOT on iTunes, like obscure video game soundtracks.
Post edited April 01, 2012 by tfishell
spinefarm: Games - pricing is awfull for me and I can't afford most of the AAA titles
Neobr10: Oh, so you can afford a gaming PC that can actually run modern AAA titles and you have no money to buy games? Oh, ok, please tell me about how poor you are. Im feeling so bad for you.

Cmon, cry me a fucking river.

By the way, you do realise that you can get such AAA titles pretty cheap if you wait a few months, right? If youre obsessive about having games on day one, expect to pay higher prices, thats how it works.

spinefarm: So yes lame excuses,but if you put urself in my shoes and live here for awhile you will understand my point.
Neobr10: So if i put myself into a murderers shoes ill understand his point? Wrong things are wrong no matter how. Youre getting stuff for free when there are a lot of people who worked hard all day to make it. I cant see how this would be the right thing to do. You know, people who work for the games industry, those who work hard, are just as human as we are, they need stuff just like we do. Nothing will make it right to get their work for free. They deserve to get something for what they made. Thats how things should work.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 59,99€ (Bulgaria) /$ 59.99(Brazil) still it is cheaper :)
You say what?
I don't own a badass gaming pc and I'm not a sucker for AAA titles. And my PC is on leasing dude 25 euro a month. So yes I can afford it on leasing. But can't afford buying 2 y.o. games for 60 euro. And this coming from a guy living in Brazil with lower prices than US/EU(On a lot of games).

See now if the sallaries in Bulgaria were like in UK/US/Finland/Sweden...etc. I will gladly more games.Cause this way I can afford them. People in smaller countries pirate games cause they can afford them not because they like pirating stuff.

About GOG I can download the games from torrents,but I try to buy more from GOG,then pirate them. If I pirate a GOG version of game the moment I have money I buy it too. So guess what not all pirates are assholes :)
orcishgamer: Video games are very much like sports and dice/cards in this respect.
SWorD84: No. Most video games are a solitary affair. No social component.
And video games with multiplayer differ extremely from card and board games.
Don't underestimate the social factor of sitting around a table and drinking beer while playing a great game.
Tons of psychological studies disagree with you. There's a lot of great reading out there on the subject. Enjoy.
Post edited April 02, 2012 by orcishgamer