It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrking58: I do recommend it
I do too ! :-)
darthvader39560: Fallout 3
took me like 10 hours to complete, and I was taking my time. Pretty easy game, and I was disappointed that even if you become a super crime lord, you still have to help the BoS. So in Broken Steel I blew up the citadel. I wasn't too impressed with fallout 3, but I've ordered New Vegas and I hope its better.
Syme: 10 hours? It sounds like you skipped most of the game. My game came in at over 225 hours.
Well, admittedly, I wanted to get the story over with quickly, so I skipped to rivet city and bypassed three dog. I didn't do any side quests. New Vegas however, I'm finding to be a much longer and harder game. But yeah, Fallout 2 FTW
Thomas Was Alone

Nice narrative, but most of the puzzle solutions had too much busywork.
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Welp. Was not expecting a tower defense game (went in totally blind). It was a really amazing tower defense game, like seriously, the best one I've played so far. Love the storyline, love the music, good humor, solid tactics. Now to beat it in NewGame+!

Complete List:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post725
I finished Unreal and it's expansion Return to Na Pali. Still very good game. Good enemies, mostly interesting levels and still nice graphics. I reall like weapons in this game and kept using most of them throughout the game (except minigun and that blades firing thingie).
I had funny moment in the game, when I managed to avoid final boss in return to Na Pali. When he is then mentioned in final log entry, I was like WTF?!, went to consult some walkthrough and then I loaded it returned and fought him. :-)

One old czech gaming mag I read recently said two months after the game was released that it is outdated and doesn't deserve more than 7/10 anymore.
I disagree. I would still, after all those years, rate it 8/10.

Full list.
Post edited July 31, 2013 by Vitek
Hotline Miami

Shouldn't have waited so long to play it, my expectations became too high.
I mean, I really enjoy the aesthetics of this game, the scenario is, although thin, good, and it is plain fun to play.
Still I was expecting it to be much more of a challenge, finished it in a few hours, all but three masks unlocked, all weapons, some A+...

I remember reading a review comparing it to Super Meat Boy for its difficulty. L-O-L

I'd still play it again though, awesomeness doesn't get boring :-)
Shadowrun Returns
Good music, great atmosphere, slightly annoying camera. Game is like a hybrid between an rpg and XCOM in that it has fun character creation, but an incredibly linear plot. Unfortunately the battlegrounds aren't quite as interactive as in XCOM which really is kind of bothersome. Where you would expect to have cover, you might be fully exposed, there will be no climbing or elevation here, etc. Also annoying is the lack of camera control in that you cannot do even quarter spins which would make it far easier to understand the grounds. Another issue is the lack of an "end fight" button as is found in most combat turn-based rpgs, which allows the player to return to an easier way of moving instead of mapping out action points when there is quite literally no-one left alive on the level. However, perhaps the most jarring aspect has to be all the blasted typos from simple misspellings and incorrect punctuation (a question mark instead of an apostrophe on the stats page?) all the way through sentence fragments repeating themselves in a single line. And then of course there is the complete and utter lack of a save function barring the autosave, which leads to difficulties if you need to take a break at any time during the end battles.

All that said it is still a good game and liable to really shine through in any expansions or likely in the fan mod community. It's rather solid and has extensive room to grow, it's just not quite there yet.

End result: I did like the over-all story and the dialogue was very well done. It just has some lackluster technical details. Also typos. C'mon guys, typos.

Complete List:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post725
Melhelix: Shadowrun Returns
Perhaps the most jarring aspect has to be all the blasted typos from simple misspellings and incorrect punctuation (a question mark instead of an apostrophe on the stats page?) all the way through sentence fragments repeating themselves in a single line.
I really have zero understanding as to why so many games have typos, or at least slightly different subtitles than what is said on the screen. Given how easily they break immersion, at least for me, you'd think the developers would use more time to spellcheck their product, especially given the amount of working hours they've already put into the game. Spellchecking is a final piece of polish that shouldn't be too hard or time-wasting: yet they often seem to completely neglect it. Why?? Why develop a game for months, perhaps even years, and then completely ignore the final polish and have characters speak jibber-jabber?

Anyway, I checked out some LP footage of that game and it looks quite interesting. I liked the XCOM style combat and the overall visual style. I might have to pick it up at some point.
Melhelix: Shadowrun Returns
Perhaps the most jarring aspect has to be all the blasted typos from simple misspellings and incorrect punctuation (a question mark instead of an apostrophe on the stats page?) all the way through sentence fragments repeating themselves in a single line.
DProject: I really have zero understanding as to why so many games have typos, or at least slightly different subtitles than what is said on the screen. Given how easily they break immersion, at least for me, you'd think the developers would use more time to spellcheck their product, especially given the amount of working hours they've already put into the game. Spellchecking is a final piece of polish that shouldn't be too hard or time-wasting: yet they often seem to completely neglect it. Why?? Why develop a game for months, perhaps even years, and then completely ignore the final polish and have characters speak jibber-jabber?

Anyway, I checked out some LP footage of that game and it looks quite interesting. I liked the XCOM style combat and the overall visual style. I might have to pick it up at some point.
Daedic are always quite funny for the rare but glaring subtitle or speech file that is still in the original German
Some of the translations are interesting too - like a sunken patch of ground that's described as a 'gloomy patch' instead of a 'depressed patch' LOL
Uncharted Golden Abyss

I don't have, and I'll probably never have PS3 system, so it's my first experience with Uncharted. The game is good, but I don't get the big deal with this series. OK, it's probably not the best game of the series, but the last game I finished was Tomb Raider Legend, and it was so much better than Uncharted GA.
After some months of playing N v2.0 on and off, I pushed through and completed the game last weekend. 99-4 was quite a challenge, and took me some time, but I really enjoyed this platformer. Now, I don't normally play platformers, but I played the old 1.4 a couple years ago, and revisiting this brought back a lot of memories.

I also pushed through and wrapped up Mass Effect 3 last night. Overall, I thought the game had some of the strongest writing of the series. The whole game felt appropriately dire and the sacrifices that had to be made felt important and consequential. The ending wasn't utterly disappointing, it certainly could have been better, but I'll live with it. The whole series felt more like an interactive movie with some shooting bits in it, and as that I really enjoyed the all 3 games.

So far:
Bulletstorm
Medal of Honor Allied Assault (Base)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
World in Conflict: Compelte
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Medal of Honor: Airborne
System Shock 2
Mass Effect 1
Mirror's Edge
Mass Effect 2
Crysis
N v2.0
Mass Effect 3
This list has all the games I've finished in August. For the July list, go here.

August 2nd: Far Cry 3. Definitely the best in the series of the ones I've played (= the numbered ones). The gameplay was damn addicting, FPS at its best. Enough so that on top of the main story, I also liberated every outpost and conquered every radio tower, in addition to completing a couple of the other sidequests and hunts too. That's not to say there weren't any problems: the game suffered from the same "from zero to hero in 10 seconds" syndrome the last Tomb Raider game did: you start off as a puny guy, barely out of his teens and very afraid, but only 10 minutes later he's already a serial killer, and after an hour a professional hitman. By the end of the game his body count is probably equal to most of America's mass murderers combined. That's why I think Jason (the player character) wasn't very believable. Also, the story seemed to sidetrack a couple of times (not gonna spoil anything), and I didn't like the drug-induced episodes at ALL. One boss battle in particular really didn't seem to fit the game. Well, compared to Tomb Raider, at least crafting was done better and instead of modifying a regular shotgun to a combat shotgun with rat corpses and random scrap, you needed to cut pelts in order to make pouches and stuff. Collecting them was really fun. Overall, and despite some of the flaws, I enjoyed the game very much and for any shooter fans out there, this is an easy recommend.

August 6th: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I've beaten the game many times in the past, but this was the first time I did it with a retarded character - a half-ogre with an intelligence of 1. And man was the playthrough funny: it was like a completely new experience. The dialogs and journal entries were hilarious! Many of the quests and followers were unavailable though, but I still almost maxed my character level because of my ogre's unmatched combat skills. Every hit made about 40 damage, and when you combine that with a huge speed, pretty much every regular enemy fell down within one turn. Virgil bit the dust in the final battle (Payne was my other follower - basically just a pack mule), but my guy, even without any armor on (a fire elemental had destroyed it earlier), was completely overpowered against Kerghan, who had zero chance against me, missing every hit. I noticed that a couple of times I faced a wall where the plot wouldn't progress because of my ogre's low intelligence, so I had to resort to intelligence potions in those instances. So that's a small minus. But other than that, a really fun playthrough and thus even more proof that this game is definitely one of the best RPG's in existence.

August 10th: Mega Man Unlimited. This was a fan-made freeware game, but as far as quality goes, I'd say this was on par with the classic Capcom NES Mega Man games. I felt it was much harder than those though, but I think it's partially because the controls aren't JUST as tight as in the Capcom games. It's a very tiny difference, but one that I think it's there. But I'm not gonna lie, the game would've still been the hardest 8-bit Mega Man game even if the controls were identical. The stages are filled with all kinds of enemies and one-hit kill hazards. I think there should've been more checkpoints in the stages, because in the event of getting overwhelmed by the enemies or making a mistake and landing on a spike, you might go back quite a lot. Also, a couple of levels were nothing but annoying (Rainbow Man stage, Yoku Man stage and parts of Wily's Castle), but even with its flaws and annoyances the game was mostly pure diamond. Near the end it also got quite dark, which I didn't expect at all. The game's so good, I would pay money for it, and especially since it's free, it's very easy to recommend this to any platformer and Mega Man fans. There's really no reason not to play this: Despite being fan-made, the title could very well be Mega Man 11.

August 11th: Papers, Please. Funny how a game with such an obscure premise (border control? Really?) ends up being one of the most original and interesting games in the whole year. Every person who's trying to cross the border is an experience, and it's really interesting to go through their papers in case there's errors in there, with some scripted, more unusual people in between every now and again. I didn't managed to get a good ending yet (my options are either immigrating illegally by myself and leaving my family behind, or getting arrested and thrown to jail for dealing with a shady organization) but I'm determined to try again and achieve a good ending (and the code for Endless Mode). Glory to Arstotzka!

August 12th: Papers, Please (this time with a good ending). Even though I played through it again so fast, the game was still just as interesting, even though I'd already seen the scripted events. I guess this proves why this game is so great. Glory to Arstotzka. Also, Jorji for President.

August 12th: The Republia Times. This was a freebie that came with Papers, Please. This was an interesting game too, especially given it was developed in just a few days. However, because of the quick development time, you've seen pretty much everything in under 30 minutes. Also, I think it might be a bug, but the game just seems to loop infinitely if I help the rebels, and therefor I don't think it's possible to get a good ending which is a real big shame. Why tease me with the possibility of saving my family from the government's grip, if it can't ever be done... Again, because of the quick development, this was probably something that the developer just didn't have time to implement.

August 12th: 6 Degrees of Sabotage. Another freebie that came with Papers, Please. This one wasn't that great. It was over in five minutes, and it was a very simple game. Again, it was made in just 48 hours but I think The Republia Times (which was a warm-up game for the "make a game in 48 hours -contest" while this was the main contender) was by far more interesting.

August 19th: Dead Space 3. The story didn't make a lick of sense, the game was too easy because I had a constant surplus of ammo and medpacks, the QTE's were the worst I've ever seen in a video game, and I just couldn't take the main bad guy seriously because let's face it: He looked like Elton John's brother with a stub ponytail. However, crafting was interesting and the main focus, shooting and dismembering Necromorphs was very fun. So overall, the game was alright, but I would still say Dead Space 1 was the best in the series: it had better locales and the plot hadn't yet taken a dive. Plus, the sequels were only "more of the same" and didn't really bring anything radically new to the table (well, excluding co-op but I didn't even bother to try it out).

August 25th: Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2. Another fan-made Mega Man game, but with the exception that this time you play as the Robot Masters from Mega Man 2! The levels were altered versions of the levels in MM3, and the bosses were given new attacks and forms. I think this was a pretty fun title. My biggest problem was that after the screen switches to a new area, you have to press the movement keys again or else the character doesn't move. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was very irritating in practice. The game could've also been just a little bit more difficult and the levels could have used that final small polish. But for a free game, I think it was quite good.

August 27th: The Sims 3 (with the Late Night expansion). My sim's life revolved a lot around grinding. 48-hour chess practice sessions while smelling like shit, canned soup almost every day, using people only to satisfy his social needs... it all got a little mechanical after a while. I fulfilled my sim's lifetime wish, which was getting logic and handiness to their maximum values, so I consider the game beaten. After I had done those, I also rose to the top of my career path, making him a movie composer, before retiring. I also maxed out his celebrity status. During all that, my sim's life was pretty lonely, but during his elder years when there was more time for everything, he was humping women from his band and young boys alike. I'm not gonna lie: I think the game was pretty fun, but it was buggy as hell and not optimized well. Loading times are long, performance is a little tacky, and game mechanics were occasionally broken entirely. But anyway, I liked the game. And I think I'm gonna do another run next with the base game.

August 29th: The Sims 3. Just the base game (and High End Loft Stuff) this time. Now, I made a sim to be the best five star chef ever. And in the meantime, I wrecked a family by seducing the husband. Then I asked him to leave his wife, and afterwards asked us to be just friends. And then I seduced the family son. And left him too. Ah, it's so much fun to be a bastard in this game. Oh, did I mention my sim was male too? Also, in my elder days I began to write books too, with dirty names with a double meaning of course. It seemed to be quite profitable. The amount of grinding was still huge on this playthrough too but I guess it all depends on your play style and how much you wanna roleplay. Fun game nevertheless.

The September list is here.
Post edited September 01, 2013 by DProject
Syberia 2 (3rd August 5:55pm)

Not as good as the the first one but this is a great point and click game. Oscar is wonderfully written and it is sad what happens to him. But I am amazed how weak Hans is, half the time he is ill.

I recommend it but play the first one before you do.
Papo & Yo. I'll just copy my Steam recommendation:

"Ba ha ha video games can't deal with any sort of real-world issues!"
"Yeah? How about THIS!"
"Oh no I am undone! HSSSSSS!"

Papo & Yo is an extremely metaphorical game about a boy's relationship with his abusive, alcoholic father (I don't think that's really a spoiler, considering the trailer makes that fairly obvious), and it's based on the lead designer's own childhood experiences. The game deals with the issue absolutely brilliantly. It really perfectly conveys the mixture of love, fear, and pity Quico feels. It's also a fantastic example of gameplay-story integration, one of the best I've played. The gameplay of alternating between working with and running from Monster really makes you feel the themes, which wouldn't work in any other medium. To top it off, the gameplay is actually quite fun, and the graphics and music are both gorgeous. If you value games as a storytelling medium, play Papo & Yo.
8-3 Kytt Underground - I ended up being disappointed with this game. The game-play, graphics, and music were all nicely done, but I had several issues with the game. The story wasn't very interesting to me. I found the 2 fairy sidekicks to be very annoying, and they talk all the time. There are 3 chapters in the game, and the endings in each chapter were let-downs. Also, there a lot of rooms to explore in the game. This sounds great, but I found it just to be too much. It felt like I was just running through the same rooms with different backgrounds behind them. By the end of the game, I was just playing the game to finish it and not having fun.

Full List
Gazoinks: Papo & Yo. I'll just copy my Steam recommendation:
*Recommendation*
I got this when it first came out on PSN, and I agree with everything you said. I really enjoyed the game and would also recommend this to anyone interested in it.

Edit: Here's my terrible picture I drew for Papo & Yo in the Draw and Guess the Game thread.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/draw_and_guess_the_game/post803
Post edited August 04, 2013 by OvaltineJenkins