Alas, for me it still doesn't work.
ToEE always works after the first install, but crashes after I quit it and come back to play some more. It invariably shuts down at the point where the 'intializing sector data' message is displayed. In my case, it probably has something to do with the BINK-movies the game tries to play: when I delete or move the game's 'movies'-folder, the game works fine. (Still, it would be nice if I'd be able to enjoy the whole experience)
Here's what I tried:
- Installed the vanilla game
- Made sure it would run (i.e. started it, and edited some options in the menu).
- Tried to downgrade to Patch 2, as per instructions
(Doesn't work for me).
- Installed the Co8-modpack
- Set my resolution to 1680 x 1050
- Started the game > sometimes it works, other times it crashes.
Besides that, I've:
- Run the game as Administrator
- Set the compatibilty to Win XP SP2 and SP3
- Disabled Win 7's themes.
- Disabled antialiasing (I usually set this to ON)
- Installed the new temple.dll provided
One of my major gripes is that it is hard to pin down what exactly makes the game crash. Sometimes - when I've done a fresh install of the vanilla version - ToEE works normally for a while, even after applying the Co8-mod. After rebooting it consistently keeps crashing, however.
The new temple.dll (when applied to the Co8-mod) really seems to mess things up for me: the game doesn't even reach the 'initializing sector data'-phase anymore. Still, I'm very gratefull that a forum-member took the time to look into this for fellow gamers.
(system: Intel Core i7, 6GB RAM, Ati HD4870 with latest drivers, Win 7 X64)