It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi. We are working non-stop on the mod, just in case you were wondering why we are so silent.
It's just that we have mostly technical stuff to do, and it's not so much to show, for now.
Input rebinding, UI, bugfixes, work-in-progress new models...

However, recently we got something more worth of public discussion.
A fan named Julien offered to rework the the music tracks we use in the game to give them a reharmonization and reorchestration pass.
I sent him the iMUSE MIDI files and yesterday he sent me back two samples of the dogfight theme after he has been working on them.

We in the developer team have our own opinions about it. But we would like to know yours.
These are the samples we are currently using, as created by our Laserschwert, then the ones Julien made:
Laserschwert's
DG01
DG02

Julien's
DG01
DG02

Please, post your impressions about it.
By the way, here's the original track:
http://youtu.be/Z_EkWBf7hy0?list=PLeigbpMXUkYlKcypDJRIUDuyz2HtGGEk0&t=123
Azrapse: Hi. We are working non-stop on the mod, just in case you were wondering why we are so silent.
It's just that we have mostly technical stuff to do, and it's not so much to show, for now.

A fan named Julien offered to rework the the music tracks we use in the game to give them a reharmonization and reorchestration pass.
I sent him the iMUSE MIDI files and yesterday he sent me back two samples of the dogfight theme after he has been working on them.

We in the developer team have our own opinions about it. But we would like to know yours.
These are the samples we are currently using, as created by our Laserschwert, then the ones Julien made:
Laserschwert's
DG01
DG02

Julien's
DG01
DG02

Stay with the samples of Laserschwert - they come closest to the original. The others are booming too much.
Andreas69: Stay with the samples of Laserschwert
Seconded. Laserschwert's samples sound much clearer and nicer imho.
I really like the richer sound of Julien's version but prefer the authenticity (for lack of a better word) of Laserschwert's interpretation.

EDIT: Four german guys in a row :D
Post edited February 14, 2017 by Silver83
Azrapse: Hi. We are working non-stop on the mod, just in case you were wondering why we are so silent.

Laserschwert's
DG01
DG02

Julien's
DG01
DG02

Andreas69: Stay with the samples of Laserschwert - they come closest to the original. The others are booming too much.
That said, the new ones definitely sound nice to me. It was literally eye-opening to hear the difference.

If we already have the full Lasershwerts version and Julien is offering to do a full set, I vote for including them both and letting the user choose in the settings: authentic or enhanced music sets.

(if you hadn't noticed yet, I'm all about choices and options. Probably why I love linux so much).
Post edited February 14, 2017 by countbuggula
We discussed about having the option earlier. The general idea being, that we have lasers' as bundled default and any other versions being dropped into the x-wing install somewhere. If the custom folder exists, then use that soundtrack.
countbuggula: If we already have the full Lasershwerts version and Julien is offering to do a full set, I vote for including them both and letting the user choose in the settings: authentic or enhanced music sets.

(if you hadn't noticed yet, I'm all about choices and options. Probably why I love linux so much).
That makes two of us, even though I don't use Linux. :)
MjrParts: We discussed about having the option earlier. The general idea being, that we have lasers' as bundled default and any other versions being dropped into the x-wing install somewhere. If the custom folder exists, then use that soundtrack.
I'm totally on board with having graphics/sound options set to "classic" or "authentic" or whatever by default and then allowing users to choose to use the upgraded version. For the 3d graphics, they're probably large enough to warrant a separate download, but for the music, would that even really be needed? It just seems like way more people might give it a try if they don't have to go download something separate.

Alternatively, if the launcher or in-game setup options have a way to automatically download the alternate assets, that's a pretty good acceptable process. Most of us coder-type people often forget just how intimidating any sort of manual process is to the average user (even potentially Star Wars nerds who want to play a reproduction of a 20 year old video game).

Laserschwert's
DG01
DG02

Julien's
DG01
DG02

I think you should keep both Laserschwert's and Julien's sets, I like both. Laserschwert's has the clean crisp feel of the origional MIDI but Julien's set has a more "into the batte" feel that would work great for the combat situations.
Post edited February 15, 2017 by Eskandare
Azrapse: We in the developer team have our own opinions about it. But we would like to know yours.
Laserschwert's
DG01
DG02

Julien's
DG01
DG02

Laserschwert's versions sound more like the original movie version, so that gets my vote. I really like the original version in ANH (probably partly because of hearing it all the time in X-Wing) so the more faithful to the original, the better. (I'm not against having the choice of both, of course.)

Julien's versions do sound good, but they stray too far from the movie soundtrack. If one of the files was closer to the John Williams' score and the other was one of these, but they both fit together and felt like they were in the same soundtrack, that could add variety without feeling as divorced from the original version, perhaps.
To me, the Julien version sounds like something that'd play when the in-game dogfight is more "epic" than the average for XW gameplay... like if there are say, 12+ enemy fighters in the immediate combat zone. Otherwise, Laserschwert's version sets the mood more appropriately for the small-scale dogfights that typically occur in missions.
agentrob: Laserschwert's versions sound more like the original movie version, so that gets my vote. I really like the original version in ANH (probably partly because of hearing it all the time in X-Wing) so the more faithful to the original, the better. (I'm not against having the choice of both, of course.)

Julien's versions do sound good, but they stray too far from the movie soundtrack. If one of the files was closer to the John Williams' score and the other was one of these, but they both fit together and felt like they were in the same soundtrack, that could add variety without feeling as divorced from the original version, perhaps.
I couldn't agree more. Williams' original theme is almost completely lost in Julien's rendition. Given that X-Wing's music was obviously supposed to be evocative of the film score, I don't think it's a better fit. That said, an attempt to inject some more depth into the MIDI sequences is not a bad idea at all.
Hi, new user on the board, just saw the youtube vid for this project a little bit ago and dug into the thread to see what was going on and had some ideas...

First of all, the limited craft selection issue that was brought up in the last couple of pages:

IIRC, the core problem is not that there are limited craft, the true problem is that the original game engine and the mission file format uses a unique identifier for each ship type, the data type for which is kind of small. I don't remember exactly what the number was, but it might have been something silly like six bits (64 possible ship types) in X-wing. (it's been a long time since I tried building missions for that game. A very, very long time).

Which means that without modifying the file format for the missions, there's no way to add more than whatever the highest valid value for the "ship type" variable is... as long as the executable uses the same behavior as the original.

IIRC, the original executable had an internal list (or was that a central external list, don't remember) of what ship went with which number - 1 for X-wing, 2 for Y-wing, etc (probably completely wrong, but you get the idea), so it would know what to load when it parsed the mission file. What you could possibly do to fix the issue of limited craft selection though is make individual lists for each battle or even mission, and then make the game check whether there was one of those before deciding which resources to load.

The end result would be that the original mission files are unchanged (yay!), but creators of custom missions would have access to any 64 or 128 or whatever ship types available to the client - which is more than the number of flight groups the game engine allowed you to spawn in the original game in the first place, if I remember correctly.

If you make the custom craft lists point directly to filenames for individual craft, you have basically infinite available ship designs, and you wouldn't get stuck with incompatible addon ships trying to use the same ID in the central ship list.

(This is the kind of thing that can only be done when you're writing a new executable file, but it's a thing that *can* be done while writing a new executable...)
Winchester1979: Hi, new user on the board, just saw the youtube vid for this project a little bit ago and dug into the thread to see what was going on and had some ideas...

First of all, the limited craft selection issue that was brought up in the last couple of pages:

IIRC, the core problem is not that there are limited craft, the true problem is that the original game engine and the mission file format uses a unique identifier for each ship type, the data type for which is kind of small. I don't remember exactly what the number was, but it might have been something silly like six bits (64 possible ship types) in X-wing. (it's been a long time since I tried building missions for that game. A very, very long time).

Which means that without modifying the file format for the missions, there's no way to add more than whatever the highest valid value for the "ship type" variable is... as long as the executable uses the same behavior as the original.

IIRC, the original executable had an internal list (or was that a central external list, don't remember) of what ship went with which number - 1 for X-wing, 2 for Y-wing, etc (probably completely wrong, but you get the idea), so it would know what to load when it parsed the mission file. What you could possibly do to fix the issue of limited craft selection though is make individual lists for each battle or even mission, and then make the game check whether there was one of those before deciding which resources to load.

The end result would be that the original mission files are unchanged (yay!), but creators of custom missions would have access to any 64 or 128 or whatever ship types available to the client - which is more than the number of flight groups the game engine allowed you to spawn in the original game in the first place, if I remember correctly.

If you make the custom craft lists point directly to filenames for individual craft, you have basically infinite available ship designs, and you wouldn't get stuck with incompatible addon ships trying to use the same ID in the central ship list.

(This is the kind of thing that can only be done when you're writing a new executable file, but it's a thing that *can* be done while writing a new executable...)
Welcome!
Internally, XWVM will identify ships not by number but by ID. This ID will be a string. For example, the X-wing will have ID "xwing".
This removes any limitation and incompatibility and makes it future proof.
When reading the original mission files, we translate their format on the fly to our internal one, so it doesn't really matter much to how many different ships the original game was limited to.
We aren't limited by their file format in that sense.

Of course, if we eventually add a Mission Editor to the game, we cannot use the XWI/BRF original file formats, but our own (that will be probably XML or JSON based).

That means that in a possible future, XWVM will be able to read and "play" mission from X-Wing or from TIE Fighter, even when those formats were totally incompatible between each other and ships had different identifiers (for example, the B-wing is ship 18 in X-Wing, but ship 4 in TIE Fighter, and the Advanced TIE existed in X-Wing but not in TIE Fighter).

Apart from this, there are some "world settings" that are different between games, and that could be made also configurable depending on the mission loaded.
For example, laser and ion speeds in X-Wing are much slower than in TIE Fighter. When loading a XWI/BRF mission file, the XWVM engine would load the X-Wing world settings. However, when loading a TIE mission file, it would load the TIE Fighter world settings.
For custom XWVM-made missions, we would either let the creator choose between both (if you have player the Super Mario Maker game in WIi U or 3DS, you wil immediately understand this), or fine tune them to their taste.