It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Even for those of you who have been with us since day one, the routine of acquiring and fixing games by GOG may be shrouded in mystery. That’s why on the occasion of our Winter Sale’s Classics Day, we’ve decided to shed some light on the whole process. To do that, we’ve asked a few questions to some of the most experienced members of our team.

So, how do we select the classic titles that we would like to offer gamers? Are there situations when the owners of the classic games’ copyrights approach us sooner than we approach them?

Marcin Paczyński, Senior Business Development Manager at GOG: We usually use our best judgment. Many of us at GOG are old-school gamers so we’ve played most of the classic games that we are now trying to get for our users (and for ourselves, of course). We also use our community Wishlist and various other means to scout for new content. The rights-holders rarely reach out to us first, but it does happen from time to time.

Sometimes the long-anticipated titles (for example missing parts of a classic series) arrive at GOG with considerable delay or do not appear in the store at all. What are the most common reasons for much-requested titles not being available?

For newer games, it's always the publisher's decision on which platforms they will be releasing their titles. There are many reasons why some of them get delayed on GOG or are not released at all. One of the major ones is that GOG is a DRM-free platform meaning that all our games (besides online-only games which we discussed in GOG Update #5) are playable while offline. For some publishers, releasing their new game without copy protection software still seems to be somewhat risky.

As for the classic releases, things sometimes get even more complicated. That’s because our partners need to make sure that they still have publishing rights, IP rights, code rights, music rights, etc, to the titles in question. Of course, we do our own research, and we try to help our partners in shortening this process as much as we can. Yet, in the end, it is them who need to find and evaluate sometimes decades-old contracts.

Unfortunately, it often turns out that some of the rights have expired or were transferred to someone else. If such a thing happens, then the whole process can get exceptionally complicated and long-drawn, sometimes even practically impossible to finish successfully.

In general, we use our Wishlist as a guide to prioritize the titles that are most demanded by gamers. For many classics, we manage to succeed and bring them back, and for the remaining ones – the fight continues!

What does, in short, the fascinating process of preparing a classic game to run on new computers look like?

Anna Grodowska, Technical Producer at GOG: Well, obviously the first move for us is to get “inside” the game and remove its Digital Rights Management feature (DRM in short). The next step would be a complex evaluation of how to make a specific title run on modern computers. It’s all about creating a list of potential problems we might have to delete/fix in order for the game to work as well as it would on older, obsolete machines.

Sometimes it’s during this second step that we have to fix some problems and dig deeper to find new ones. For example, if the game does not run at all, we must first do our best to launch it so that we can examine how other features like 3D renderer, audio system, or LAN multiplayer may work. Part of this process is examining the technical possibilities of potentially expanding the functionalities of the title without, of course, making changes to its gameplay. For example, sometimes we make it so that the game can support wide-angle screens, high resolutions (1080, 4K, 8K), or new controller types.

After the evaluation part, the time comes for fixing the problems themselves. Since in 99% of cases we don’t have the game’s source code itself, we usually resort to the good old technique of reverse engineering. We also use all sorts of debuggers, monitoring devices, and tens of other tools, including virtual machines and hardware that dates to the times when the particular game was released.

Which classic titles were the most challenging to revive and why?

We have had quite a few of those, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine are the first that come to my mind. Two issues contributed to this fact. First of all, we encountered many small technical obstacles while working on these titles. Apart from that, the wrappers used to emulate old-school interfaces we had back when working on mentioned games have proved to be quite obsolete.

To make these titles work, we had to put in a tremendous amount of work. Yet, mark my words, the satisfaction that came along with it was very rewarding. The experience we’ve earned on bringing these two games to modern computers and the tools we utilized then also became very beneficial for hundreds of our future projects.

Today, of course, our situation looks very different. We already possess many useful tools for our work that we’re still updating and improving them. Thinking ahead, we already test tools that we’ll need in a few years and will be useful to us for the next decade or so.

Apart from the obsolete interface problem I mentioned, the games’ concurrency also poses a challenge from time to time. For example, Hidden & Dangerous wasn’t a very problematic game overall, yet it had one irritating issue. Once every several dozen minutes while playing the game you could hear a very loud noise from the speakers accompanied by an irritating white noise that could very well give the gamer a heart attack.

Since this problematic sound could not be played ad-hoc, we had to simply run the game and wait until the problem arises. At the same time, we were watching our tools working in the background and listening to the monotonous barking of a dog (the Velke Gradiste level of the game) sometimes for 10 minutes and sometimes for as much as 3 hours. Needless to say, although we managed to fix the problem eventually, some of us hear the barking of that virtual dog even to this day!

The underlying issue has proved to be a small oversight on the part of the game’s creators and the lack of synchronization between threads that fought over the same sound buffer.

As you can see, making games last forever is a process that requires both patience and skill. For almost one and a half decades, we at GOG put a lot of effort into bringing classic games back into your hands. On the occasion of Good Old Games Day and our Winter Sale’s Classics Collection in our store, we would like to invite you to check them out, because there’s never been a better time to expand your library with the very best that gaming has to offer!
i_ni: OK, double standard it is.
joppo: Absolutely not a double standard.

The IP owners are the only ones who can grant and revoke rights over their property and they of course do it when it will be beneficial to them.
If you reverse engineer their game they get nothing good out of it (and possibly something bad), which is why the EULA forbids you. They do get something out of Gog reverse engineering their game so they have no problem allowing them to do it. You can be sure the contract between both companies doesn't say Gog must stick by the EULA.
Then my comment continues:
> In a jump to conclusion, the only game you actually own is the one made by yourself. (unless small-font text applied)

Meaning GoG(let's call it Reseller?) bought the rights to do with the Game whatever they want (given certain (likely undisclosed) frame of actions) to benefit the reselling of the game. Then I, the end user, who also owns the game, am forbidden the same action (reverse engineer, decompile, ...) that would benefit my curiosity and nobody else (I'm not a Reseller). What is this but a double standard and (please, excuse the terms) mindless (with respect to end-user) clause?
i_ni: > In a jump to conclusion, the only game you actually own is the one made by yourself. (unless small-font text applied)
Mostly, yes. Except when you buy the rights over a game like Gog did with the SSI Goldbox RPGs. In this case Gog can literally do anything they want with the games, including posting the source code for everyone if they want. It is their property now, not the original creator's.

i_ni: Meaning GoG(let's call it Reseller?) bought the rights to do with the Game whatever they want (given certain (likely undisclosed) frame of actions) to benefit the reselling of the game. Then I, the end user, who also owns the game, am forbidden the same action (reverse engineer, decompile, ...) that would benefit my curiosity and nobody else (I'm not a Reseller). What is this but a double standard and (please, excuse the terms) mindless (with respect to end-user) clause?
There are 3 things that I think should be pointed out:

1 - Gog didn't buy any rights to do anything. Rather, they were kind of "hired" to perform a service for the company that owns the game. You were not.

2 - You said it yourself, Gog's service has the goal of "benefit the reselling of the game". In essence, it will bring the IP owners money. Any reverse engineering you're interested in performing won't accomplish that and in fact might lose them money instead.
They can't know if your goals are "pure and selfless" or if you're going to build a new game to compete with theirs using the product of their work taken for free. Or just leak it someplace where others will do it.

3 - They don't give a rat's ass about your curiosity. They're not in the market for that. They are there to create games and sell them to ultimately be paid and have money to a) provide for their families and b) grow into a bigger company.
Satisfying your curiosity doesn't help them do any of that.

That said, nothing is keeping you from ignoring an EULA and reverse engineering a game in the privacy of your home. As long as you don't let it leak nor use their work elsewhere I'm sure you can satisfy your curiosity without any bad repercussions.
Post edited December 29, 2022 by joppo
high rated
While posts like this offer fascinating background, what is not posted seems to be even more interesting..
GOG.com: Anna Grodowska, Technical Producer at GOG: Well, obviously the first move for us is to get “inside” the game and remove its Digital Rights Management feature (DRM in short).
There are several cases where GOG has provided games based on publicly available "no-CD" or "fixed" .exes provided by "the scene" (case in point Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura where the .exe is identical to that offered by Megagames - but not as recent as the one on GameCopyWorld). To what extent does GOG rely on such "unofficial" sources to provide games?
GOG.com: Sometimes it’s during this second step that we have to fix some problems and dig deeper to find new ones...
How about situations where GOG's changes break the game on environments it was intended to run on? Or remove critical components (like the original .exe) restricting customers to specific emulators like ScummVM? Or adding components that break the game on older systems? (hardly "making games last forever").

(In such cases, offering the original, untouched game as an extra (bundled as a .zip or .7z file) would allow customers to decide for themselves where to use GOG's fixes, or to implement their own or third party ones. That would qualify as genuine game preservation).

How about cases where games are sold missing critical support material like manuals? Given how necessary these can be for some games, how does GOG justify their absence? Conversely, how does GOG manage to obtain documentation/extras for particularly old games?
Post edited December 29, 2022 by AstralWanderer
@GOG - Thanks for the informative stuff. It was very brief, but it is an eye opener, though much of it was as I for one certainly expected. What is missing can certainly be guessed at by those savvy enough.

Doing threads like this is much appreciated, and should not be under-estimated in their value.

What is certainly obvious to me, is that while you do tremendous work, and have good success, it is clearly often a compromise of sorts. Of course some of the changes you need to make for modern OS, can break things for older OS, so it is much appreciated when you do provide original files ... much better than us having to source them on Abandonware sites, especially if you have removed any DRM element. Doing this, certainly amongst us DRM-Free lovers, is a great selling point.