It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just finished 'No longer Human' and 'Remina' by Junji Ito. Deciding what to fuel my nightmares with next.
The novelization of Revenge of the Sith.
I'm reading Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas ("Epitaph of a Small Winner"), which I should've and probably did read in school but I legit don't remember much if anything. Too soon to critique.

Before that, I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. It was neat for the most part, a very light book for a quick read.
I used the last weekend to read Butz Peters' "1977: RAF gegen Bundesrepublik" (2017).

While the book as such is (arguably) ok, the author's writing style is definitely not.

Those sentence structures,...ohmygod...those sentence structures...abysmal.

It's hard to believe that the author is both, a journalist and a lawyer...or - maybe the "lawyer speak" is simply too ingrained into him, for the journo to uphold a good, readable, writing style?

From what I've looked up, the author apparently wrote four books on that topic, and the one I've read is the last in line (of anything that he ever wrote, starting in 1986)...and honestly?

After struggling through that, I don't feel inclined to read anything else written by him.

If THAT's what he comes up with after 31 years of practicing - I don't wanna experience how his early works read.

Edit: missing "s" at the end of "books"
Post edited October 04, 2022 by BreOl72
It's been taking me all year, but I might finish my Hellboy marathon before 2023. What's taking me so long is, I only read during power outages and bathroom breaks; snow was the only threat to electricity this year and most bathroom breaks are spent in the small bathroom while [current volume] is in the big one where there's a space to put it.
Arsene Lupin contre Herlock Sholmes by Maurice Leblanc
Post edited October 13, 2022 by seba_86
Asimov's Robots and Empire.
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
'Wikipedia: Rotten to the Core' by Helen Buyniski
Just started rereading Fellowship of the Ring.
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Honeybee Democracy" by Thomas D. Seeley.
Keneally's Schindler's List.
L'Aiguillle creuse by Maurice Leblanc
Chrétien de Troyes. Perceval or the Story of the Grail.
Worth commenting here. One of the best known books dealing with Arthurian matter. Dates from the end of the XXII century, yet feels fresh and modern today. You will find realistic accounts of how people make mistakes yet eventually they might do better. Also, there will be useful hints for both men and women (there are even suggestions on how to use reverse psichology!). The book tells the tales of both the inexperienced Perceval and the seasoned Gauvain, with the court of king Artús (Arthur) being the hub where knights come and go.

The book is short, sweet, fresh, and displays different registers, from the bucolic, to the dramatic, epic, comic, amorous, and whatnot. Very well recommended.
Post edited November 25, 2022 by Carradice