It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm about to start Name of the Wind, by Rothfuss. I heard it's really good, but is the series complete? I have regretted starting a series that wasn't completed yet and then had to wait forever, Game of Thrones being an extreme example, but not the only one.
Gerin: I'm about to start Name of the Wind, by Rothfuss. I heard it's really good, but is the series complete? I have regretted starting a series that wasn't completed yet and then had to wait forever, Game of Thrones being an extreme example, but not the only one.
Rothfuss hasn't completed the series and his apparent writer's block on the final volume lead to Betsy Wollheim openly criticizing him a little while back.
seba_86: The Golden Torc by Julian May
Is it good? I loved the first book in the series. It had two very definite halves, the one "now" and the one "then". Both were good. Nice toast from the first half:

"The birds may kiss the bees goodbye,
The buttercup...the butterfly.
The morning dew may kiss the grass,
And you my friends..."
Post edited December 14, 2022 by Carradice
Gerin: I'm about to start Name of the Wind, by Rothfuss. I heard it's really good, but is the series complete? I have regretted starting a series that wasn't completed yet and then had to wait forever, Game of Thrones being an extreme example, but not the only one.
andysheets1975: Rothfuss hasn't completed the series and his apparent writer's block on the final volume lead to Betsy Wollheim openly criticizing him a little while back.
Ugh then maybe I'll put it aside until he finishes, or at least until my reading list dwindles down to just that one.

By the way, if anyone wants a good quick read, check out a Stephen King short story called "The Eyes of the Dragon." It's a prelude to The Stand (kind of - unrelated plot except for the character Flagg).
Post edited December 17, 2022 by Gerin
I'm currently reading The Trial of Kafka, it's full of interesting characters... I still have to understand why he got arrested :D
Someday Rothfuss will finish the trilogy :(
Now reading Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.
Sagan's Contact.
Carradice: Is it good? I loved the first book in the series. It had two very definite halves, the one "now" and the one "then". Both were good. Nice toast from the first half:
I didn't like it, I got bored with it and did not care at all what could happen to any of the characters, it just wasn't for me. I don't think I'll continue with the rest of them.

Currently I'm reading Nacera una bruja by Robert E. Howard
For anyone interested, the books finished in 2023 thread is up.
Gerin: Ugh then maybe I'll put it aside until he finishes, or at least until my reading list dwindles down to just that one.
I'd say it's well worth it as it is. If anything, especially considering his apparent inability to complete it, the third book may well be worse when and if it'll get released. And there's always the chance it'll never get released, and just waiting for that will make you miss out of some truly great books.
And I didn't even feel that I was missing the fact that it didn't reach a conclusion, didn't bridge the gap to the "present". It's all about the atmosphere and the emotion of the moments depicted.
Post edited January 01, 2023 by Cavalary
Carradice: Is it good? I loved the first book in the series. It had two very definite halves, the one "now" and the one "then". Both were good. Nice toast from the first half:
seba_86: I didn't like it, I got bored with it and did not care at all what could happen to any of the characters, it just wasn't for me. I don't think I'll continue with the rest of them.
Ooohhh, too bad to hear :( It might seem that a big part of the fun of the first book is the story before the time jump, and that is lost.
Cunk on Everything: The Encyclopedia Philomena by Philomena Cunk
Caroline Fourest. Génération offensée: De la police de la culture à la police de la pensée
(Offended Generation: from culture police to the though police).

Feminist, anti-racist universalist defense of rights and freedom, in the line of Charlie Hebdo (she lost a few friends there). She analises the sinergies of left and right extremes of indentitarism.
Post edited January 26, 2023 by Carradice
ciemnogrodzianin: As good as people say? :)
I have them on my bookshelf (I didn't want to lost my chance if polish translation goes out of print), but estimated reading time pushes me back...
ConsulCaesar: I loved the first two volumes. Brandon Sanderson is worldbuilding on steroids. :D Each book is gigantic, but that only means more time spent in a fascinating world with characters I love.
I liked Elantris, and The Emperor's Soul before that. Also the Starsight saga is fun (although probably oriented to very young readers). But all other long sagas appear daunting... I guess the next step ought to be The Final Empire? :-/
Azazeel by Youssef Ziedan. Really liking it so far.