It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adaliabooks: The latter I presume. As long as you're logged into Galaxy you are 'online' (which makes sense to a degree because you should get notification pop ups in that case). [...]
[emphasis added]

Is that a fact, or speculation on your part?

adaliabooks: [...]

At least it detects when you are online on the website too (according to Johny anyway)
If only there were a way to tell the difference.

skeletonbow: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post198

At some point in time, probably recently as part of GOG's masterful expert spam blocking mission, they managed to break the way certain nested forum markup works. Putting bold tags inside the text of a URL tag, will cause it to display raw HTML <span> tags in the output retroactively across the forums. No doubt other combinations of tags are broken also I bet.

Example: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post198
You are way too late to this party. It's one of the side effects of GOG's genius fix of a security issue that was reported about ten days ago.

The forum is littered with such broken links, GOG's own release threads is as far as you need to look to get a taste.
adaliabooks: The latter I presume. As long as you're logged into Galaxy you are 'online' (which makes sense to a degree because you should get notification pop ups in that case). [...]
HypersomniacLive: [emphasis added]

Is that a fact, or speculation on your part?
Speculation for the first part, the part you bolded is a fact. Galaxy has desktop notifications which pop up when you receive a message or notification so unless you're literally AFK you should see a message or reply coming through (and hence be considered to be online)
adaliabooks: Speculation for the first part, the part you bolded is a fact. Galaxy has desktop notifications which pop up when you receive a message or notification so unless you're literally AFK you should see a message or reply coming through (and hence be considered to be online)
People playing games also show as online, so if you play a game in full screen, do these desktop notifications still pop up in a manner you get to see them? And can they be turned off?
HypersomniacLive: People playing games also show as online, so if you play a game in full screen, do these desktop notifications still pop up in a manner you get to see them? And can they be turned off?
There's a blue post elsewhere saying they'll look into changing that tomorrow.
adaliabooks: Speculation for the first part, the part you bolded is a fact. Galaxy has desktop notifications which pop up when you receive a message or notification so unless you're literally AFK you should see a message or reply coming through (and hence be considered to be online)
HypersomniacLive: People playing games also show as online, so if you play a game in full screen, do these desktop notifications still pop up in a manner you get to see them? And can they be turned off?
I don't remember seeing them when I'm playing games, let me check the Galaxy options to see.
But people playing games also show what game they're playing, so you should know they are not 'available' online.

You can turn them off completely I'm sure, but I can't remember what other customisation options are available.

Edit: Ok, Galaxy finally loaded up.
Options for notifications are:
If Overlay is off (or presumably doesn't work for the game you are playing) you don't get notifications.

You can choose (individually) whether to get notifications at all, desktop only, overlay only or both for:
Messages received
Friend invites
Game invites
Friends coming online
Friends starting a game
Installing and updating status
Wishlist alerts and sales
Forum replies
Unread notifications

I believe regardless of what option you choose things like messages and forum replies will always give you a normal notification similar to the ones we get on the site (but without the pop up in the corner of the screen)
Post edited September 06, 2017 by adaliabooks
adaliabooks: [...] But people playing games also show what game they're playing, so you should know they are not 'available' online. [...]
And in order to "know" that they're not really 'available' online, I must be told which game exactly they're playing...

You can choose (individually) whether to get notifications at all, desktop only, overlay only or both for:
Messages received
Friend invites
Game invites
Friends coming online
Friends starting a game
Forum replies
Unread notifications

I believe regardless of what option you choose things like messages and forum replies will always give you a normal notification similar to the ones we get on the site (but without the pop up in the corner of the screen)
If only GOG gave the same options for applicable notifications on the site. Don't get why they don't.

drmike: There's a blue post elsewhere saying they'll look into changing that tomorrow.
Sorry, changing what exactly? Can you provide a link, please?
HypersomniacLive: If only GOG gave the same options for applicable notifications on the site. Don't get why they don't.
Well, as I understand these are only the separate pop up notifications that you can turn on and off, they will all always show in the bell notification menu in Galaxy.

But yeah, it would be nice to be able to have the option to turn on and off various things.

Maybe in another 6 months.
adaliabooks: But people playing games also show what game they're playing, so you should know they are not 'available' online.
Is that always shown or can you switch it off?

adaliabooks: You can choose (individually) whether to get notifications at all, desktop only, overlay only or both for: [...]
HypersomniacLive: If only GOG gave the same options for applicable notifications on the site.
Exactly that!

HypersomniacLive: Don't get why they don't.
Perhaps because it's a "premium" feature reserved exclusively for Galaxy. ;)
adaliabooks: [...] Maybe in another 6 months.
You're such an optimist. Cheers for the chuckle nonetheless.

eiii: [...] Perhaps because it's a "premium" feature reserved exclusively for Galaxy. ;)
It would if it applied to the bell notification, but see what adaliabooks said, it only applies to desktop and overlay notifications; elcook also confirmed it in the official, non-news, GOG thread.
adaliabooks: But people playing games also show what game they're playing, so you should know they are not 'available' online.
eiii: Is that always shown or can you switch it off?
Always on as far as I'm aware... though I did think they might be working on changing that nothing has materialised as of yet so I might be wrong.

eiii: [...] Perhaps because it's a "premium" feature reserved exclusively for Galaxy. ;)
HypersomniacLive: It would if it applied to the bell notification, but see what adaliabooks said, it only applies to desktop and overlay notifications; elcook also confirmed it in the official, non-news, GOG thread.
And quite frankly the last thing we need is Gog trying to offer desktop notifications through your browser...
adaliabooks: [...] And quite frankly the last thing we need is Gog trying to offer desktop notifications through your browser...
Heavens forbid! *shivers*

And still waiting for that message. ;-)
Post edited September 07, 2017 by HypersomniacLive
Messages received
Friend invites
Game invites
Friends coming online
Friends starting a game
Forum replies
Unread notifications

HypersomniacLive: If only GOG gave the same options for applicable notifications on the site. Don't get why they don't.
Those settings are related to desktop and in-game notifications. You still get in-top-menu notifications in Galaxy, exactly as you do on website.
New games from yesterday to today are not listed in NEW and ON SALE tabs in homepage.
They are not listed in https://www.gog.com/games?price=discounted neither.
kbnrylaec: New games from yesterday to today are not listed in NEW and ON SALE tabs in homepage.
They are not listed in https://www.gog.com/games?price=discounted neither.
POPULAR tab is broken too.
high rated
Johny.: Those settings are related to desktop and in-game notifications. You still get in-top-menu notifications in Galaxy, exactly as you do on website.
I understood that just fine from adaliabooks post #1115, cheers, and that's why I'm saying that such options/settings should be available on the website (and in Galaxy). BE had a feature to disable notifications by type (forum replies, chat, friends, game updates) with the previous notification system we had, and it seems that it's still possible with the new one, so I don't get why you (GOG) don't offer them. Just like there should be an option to clear individual notifications. I don't get GOG's "all or nothing" implementation, and in the case of receiving notifications there's not even a "nothing" choice.

If offering such options is planned and on GOG's To Do list, even if soon™, it'd be appreciated if GOG just said so, would spare us all the time and energy debating over it. And if it's not, telling us would be equally appreciated; it wouldn't make a portion of us happy, but at least we'd know where we stand and what to expect, or not expect.

And I'd still appreciate a reply to this post, as well as some clarification on this matter.