It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

flatiron: Hey, how do you create the ISO image burn when using Ubuntu to do it? I don't understand how to use the links.
Open the software center and install "unetbootin", then start it once it's installed (don't worry if it complains about extlinux). You should see something like in the attached screenshot.

- First select "Diskimage"
- Then click the "..." button and navigate to & select the Mint ISO you downloaded
- Then select the USB drive (it should only show only the USB drives connected to the system; if not then make sure that "Type: USB Drive" is set. It'll be something like /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1 depending on the number of disks in your system)
- Then click OK

Don't worry about any of the other options for now. When it's done you'll have a bootable USB drive with Mint on it :)

flatiron: When I try to download this file sha256sum.txt.gpg from this page https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
running "sha256sum linuxmint-18.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso" gives me:
d50e69a3e6d6b9d4b9cbe56cd3736cef665b708a4a2e5d9024f8eef439a91bba linuxmint-18.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso

If what you downloaded matches this then it's fine.

Darvond: Of course if Mint had a proper media writing tool, none of this would be an issue. :B
Mint has access to the same tools as Ubuntu

flatiron: So, I shouldn't use MINT? What should I use?
Everyone has their own preferences. Mint is one of the more widely used and supported distros though & it's a lot more user-friendly.
Lifthrasil: Damn. I don't understand the clue. But I would like to play Victor Vran. I thought I had cracked the code but it wasn't right.
It is still available :)
Attachments:
Post edited November 23, 2017 by adamhm
flatiron: Okay. Downloading from the world server gave me this

"gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
gpg: Signature made Thu 29 Jun 2017 10:13:16 AM MDT using RSA key ID A25BAE09
gpg: Good signature from "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key <root@linuxmint.com>"
this tells you that file is signed with a valid signature and that the file has not been modified or tempered with in any. So it is still the exact same file as it was when owner/publisher created the ISO and signed it.
Which is the important information you are looking for.

flatiron: gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
this is where it gets a bit more complicated. Basically you can set a trust level for each key (signature), depending on how much confidence you have that the owner of the key is actually who he says he is. Since you probably just imported the key, the trust level is set to zero. that's why you get the warning.
But i don't think confusing you further with all the details of the concept of Trust in PGP really helps you right now. For your intends and purposes feel free to ignore the warning for now.
adamhm: It is still available :)
Got it! Thank you very much!
It turns out the Russian truenetwork was legit. I screwed up.
First, Thank you for the instructions. I wouldn't even have known that the firewall was off had it not been for them. How do you put a firewall icon on the front page?

How exactly do you turn off shockwave flash? I do not see it. And no, it is not under add ons. All that is there is some Cisco thing. Never mind the update issue. It is under update everything.
Post edited November 24, 2017 by flatiron
When you say "You should also install the following packages (assuming that you’re using Ubuntu/Mint or another Ubuntu-
based distro):
libgsm1:i386
libosmesa6:i386
libnss-mdns:i386
These are not essential for Wine to run, but without them some software may have issues or not run in Wine
at all. If using the open graphics drivers you should also install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386 if it isn’t installed
already"

How?
flatiron: First, Thank you for the instructions. I wouldn't even have known that the firewall was off had it not been for them. How do you put a firewall icon on the front page?
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but you can right-click on its entry in the system menu to add it to the desktop/panel (quicklaunch) etc. if you want.
How exactly do you turn off shockwave flash? I do not see it. And no, it is not under add ons. All that is there is some Cisco thing. Never mind the update issue. It is under update everything.
In Firefox, open the menu and select the "Add-ons..." option (or press Ctrl+Shift+A), then select the Plugins option in the sidebar to the left. You should then be able to configure it from there. IIRC it's disabled by default now, but it's worth checking to make sure just in case.

flatiron: How?
Use Synaptic Package Manager (as per the end of S6 in the Mint guide) or the apt-get command from the terminal to install them.
posted in wrong thread
Post edited November 25, 2017 by flatiron
The guide has now been updated for Linux Mint 18.3 :)

And here's a key for Dust: An Elysian Tail:

**VX5*J2KN*35GFB
XG57*NDY*SKZ*2*A
AC*6JK0*UX2*6*3T
GW6*X2*RJ*1ITL6*

DRUULRLRRUDLDDLU
adamhm: ...
I can only imagine it's some kind of maze with that DU and LR being navigation instructions, but don't know how to actually use the idea. Good luck to someone smarter! :)
adamhm: ...
Please, tell me it's already taken (and what's the solution), 'cause I can't find my peace with the puzzle remaining unsolved xD
I did it! :D Such puzzles tend to absorb me and it's really hard to stop thinking about them. I hoped that today's fresh look will bring me the solution, but concepts from morning appeared inapplicable here. However opened ods file once more (always "it's the very last try!") and - eureka! ;)

Nice idea! UD-LR was the directions, indeed. The key was to navigate by stars! ;)

Thank you very much. I've discovered that game recenty and wishlisted as nice Linux-friendly platformer to be played with my daughters.
ciemnogrodzianin: I did it! :D Such puzzles tend to absorb me and it's really hard to stop thinking about them. I hoped that today's fresh look will bring me the solution, but concepts from morning appeared inapplicable here. However opened ods file once more (always "it's the very last try!") and - eureka! ;)

Nice idea! UD-LR was the directions, indeed. The key was to navigate by stars! ;)

Thank you very much. I've discovered that game recenty and wishlisted as nice Linux-friendly platformer to be played with my daughters.
Congratulations, I believe the code was XV567J2USXK26L2T.

However, I was unable to solve Victor Vran's puzzle. Any ideas? I can not tie zero-nine to zero-Z
ciemnogrodzianin: I did it! :D Such puzzles tend to absorb me and it's really hard to stop thinking about them. I hoped that today's fresh look will bring me the solution, but concepts from morning appeared inapplicable here. However opened ods file once more (always "it's the very last try!") and - eureka! ;)
Congratulations, enjoy :)
Engerek01: However, I was unable to solve Victor Vran's puzzle. Any ideas? I can not tie zero-nine to zero-Z
Each grouping of characters in the key was treated as a base-36 number and converted to base-10
Post edited December 03, 2017 by adamhm
Engerek01: Congratulations, I believe the code was XV567J2USXK26L2T.
Correct.
And thanks. We're after first afternoon gaming session and for now it's really nice family platformer with charming graphics and a lot of combo-based, but kid-friendly fights.
Thanks, adamhm!