It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New Piñatas • New Deals • Last Chances

The final 72 hours of Piñata Madness are here, and the mystery-sale bonanza grows bigger – today brings exciting new Piñatas and hot new offers!

If you haven't tried your luck yet, now's the time with new additions to the pool. These include: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 1 & 2, SWAT 4, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, NEO Scavenger, Wasteland 2, This War of Mine.
Plus all things Homeworld with Homeworld 1 & 2 Remastered, Deserts of Kharak, as well as the long-gone expansion – Homeworld: Emergence.

If you're not the type to smash Piñatas, there are new great games on sale right now so make sure to give it a browse – and while you're here, check out the Carmageddon 20th Anniversary Sale at 75% off!

--Original announcement--
Piñata Madness is back – meaning excitement, mystery, and exceptional deals on some of our favorite hand-picked titles.

What is Piñata Madness?
For $3, you can buy and smash your own digital Piñata, each holding one of 100+ mystery games worth anywhere from $5.99 all the way up to $44.99.
Visit your <span class="bold">Pinata hub</span>, where can buy, open, and see everything Piñata Madness!
Just like real-life Piñatas, they'll bring you joy, surprise, and reward. Unlike real-life Piñatas, ours drop really good games instead of candy – games like Pillars of Eternity, Shadow Warrior 2, Heroes of Might and Magic, Victor Vran, and more!
It's a great way to broaden your horizons and try out games you otherwise wouldn't, knowing you're always getting a deal that's worth it. And if you already own every game included in our Piñatas, each game you drop will be a giftable code so you share the joy with your friends.

Weekly Megasale
If you'd rather know exactly you're getting, check out the Weekly Megasale featuring great deals up to -90% on some of our favorite titles including Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Heroes of Might and Magic III, and more!

The Piñata Madness and Weekly Megasale last until August 21, 2017, 9:59 PM UTC.
Almost tempted to try for one of the big games I'm interested in but I think I'll hold off - neat sale though (I remember the last one).

Also, I could have sworn I saw Anno 1404 on sale earlier - did I miss out or was it a glitch? Guess I shouldn't have waited LOL (I like to wait until closer to the end of sales at times, just so I don't make 2 or 3 tiny purchases - larger purchases I don't mind right away).
Onsdag: I would like to add that I do realize there will be some people who 'game' the system and may continually keep requesting refunds until they get exactly what they want. I personally disagree with and would discourage such behavior. But just because there are a few bad apples who abuse the system does not mean that the system itself is bad and should be removed. There are consumer protection laws for very good reasons. Go into any business and ask what their "return policy" is and most will happily explain what rights you have with returning/refunding a purchase - no questions asked. Some will provide cash refunds; others in-store credit. Some will require the product returned unopened or unused, in good condition, or simply don't care what condition it's in as long as it's returned. Some require the product returned within a certain timeframe - such as 10 days or 30 days. Some products - like food - can't really be returned by the customer unused, but the restaurant/grocer will still likely refund the consumer. And some won't accept returns. All of these criteria, and whether they are acceptable or not, are determined between the consumer and seller, and are based upon and upheld by local, state, national, and even international laws regulating such contracts.
This is a good point. It's always a good idea to check a store's return policy, and that goes for digital stores, as well.

This is a little bit off-topic, but still relevant to the issue of return policies. Earlier this year, the department store Nordstrom changed its return policy to make it more strict. I presume they did this in an attempt to say in business, as department stores are closing down left and right and their return policy used to be laughably lenient. They used to let you return items even if they fell into one or more of the following categories:

-It had been years after the purchase
-The customer did not present a receipt
-Nordstrom has never even sold the item at any point

There was even a report of a woman successfully returning a very old dress she bought elsewhere, without a receipt, after she had her period all over it. I can't imagine why they changed their return policy.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by finkleroy
finkleroy: There was even a report of a woman successfully returning a very old dress she bought elsewhere, without a receipt, after she had her period all over it. I can't imagine why they changed their return policy.
That wasn't actually their return policy - it was Crazy Bill. He had zero luck on craiglist buying womens' used panties, so he exploited the rumors of Nordstrom's lenient return policy. The oddest part was that no one ever questioned why all returns were for crumbled wads of cash, even when it was paid for with a credit card. Or why the desk always closed down for ten minutes on every return.
finkleroy: There was even a report of a woman successfully returning a very old dress she bought elsewhere, without a receipt, after she had her period all over it. I can't imagine why they changed their return policy.
Ixamyakxim: That wasn't actually their return policy - it was Crazy Bill. He had zero luck on craiglist buying womens' used panties, so he exploited the rumors of Nordstrom's lenient return policy. The oddest part was that no one ever questioned why all returns were for crumbled wads of cash, even when it was paid for with a credit card. Or why the desk always closed down for ten minutes on every return.
I'd just like to clarify that what I said was not a joke. I heard about this from the Nordstrom employee who issued the refund, and it was before craigslist.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by finkleroy
Very disappointed with this. I wish I wouldn't have done it. I got a shooter that reviewers say is crap. I got a point and click that reviews say is crap. I tried once more after the shooter, because my genre is point and click, but still got a crap game. So bummed. It will be awhile before I spend any more money on GOG. I feel ripped off.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by ozzette54
Holy potatoes! A weapon shop.

5 pignattas, 5 trash of games not worth the time spent clicking.

You are just phishing on your own customer.

Unbelievable.
One of the best sales for me, got:

Wasteland 2, which I already owned on Steam but hey, it's better this way. I just copied my save over and continued from where I left off before. This awesome game just got even better.

Expeditions: Viking. Conquistador was great but this is even better in my opinion, plus it has one of the best coverages of Viking culture I've seen in a game. It feels as if the writers did their research, which really shouldn't surprise me after Conquistador and since it's a Danish developer.

Starpoint Gemini Warlords. Really enjoyed the previous games, but this new approach is much appreciated. To me these developers do a great job of creating big enviting space-worlds, that I want to explore and spend time in. In stark contrast to games like Elite Dangerous, where everything is the same no matter where you go.

Anno 1404. Had it on Steam already, but for this price it's well worth a re-buy. Fantastic atmosphere.

Plus I actually got a good game from my Piñata swing: Darksiders. I played through it console many years ago, but I've always wanted to replay it, and now I have a prettier version of it.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by Ricky_Bobby
Ixamyakxim: Also, I could have sworn I saw Anno 1404 on sale earlier - did I miss out or was it a glitch?
It wasn't a glitch.

That's simply not cool GOG! Please stop removing games from the regular sale for no good reason.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
ozzette54: Very disappointed with this. I wish I wouldn't have done it. I got a shooter that reviewers say is crap. I got a point and click that reviews say is crap. I tried once more after the shooter, because my genre is point and click, but still got a crap game. So bummed. It will be awhile before I spend any more money on GOG. I feel ripped off.
If you haven't downloaded them a refund takes just a few seconds to request, and you get all of your money back. Not a ripoff unless you keep the games you don't like.
Post edited August 19, 2017 by IFW
I gave in and went for 2 pinatas.

Republique
Big Pharma

I guess I got those games for a good price though I probably won't play them. Maybe I'll try to in the future... we shall see.
I'm not sure what's going on, but I've had an open customer support ticket for 5 going on 6 days now with no resolution. I'm reading reports in this thread of people having their refund requests granted within minutes/hours, but why has mine taken nearly a week so far? The friendly staff who first replied to my request even encouraged me to "convert your purchase into GOG Wallet funds" as "cash refunds take a couple of business days to be fully processed on both sides, whereas GOG Wallet funds gets assigned immediately." I accepted the offer, but with as long as they're taking to make a reply/refund I can only laugh and scratch my head as to what their definition of "immediately" is. 5 days? A week? A month? By then my games would no longer be eligible for a refund and this event will be long over. I've been fairly patient thus far, but my patience can only last so long.

Did the support staff assigned to my ticket go on vacation or AWOL? He hasn't responded to any of my messages since day one. Are they just that busy with refund requests? Have I offended them somehow? Anyone else having super-long wait times to get a refund? Can someone please help me understand what's going on?
Post edited August 20, 2017 by Onsdag
Croyzers: Got to agree with you - Rime, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity for 3 bucks as an absolutely amazing deal. Why hasn't GOG sold this directly to you at the price though?
SLP2000: Because they are not charity.

Croyzers: Why have you had to go through this Pinata mystery rubbish to get them?
SLP2000: See above and also: because it was fun and because this type of sale is based on the lottery. You can get a game worth 3$ or game worth 40$. I think you understand that no developer/publisher who is selling his new game on GOG for 40$ would agree to sell it here for 3$ during normal sale?

Croyzers: That's great you have done well out of the deals. A lot of people haven't, and were under the impression that they couldn't get their money back. They haven't done so well and in fact, have been ripped off. I was ripped off too - even though I got a refund - I still had to invest my time in doing this.
SLP2000: First of all - I got very different games. Some worth 3$ and some worth 40$. But the thing is that it is your fault if you put 3$ on the table and think that you'll for sure get something worth 40$. If you don't want to take a risk, then you shouldn't buy Pinata.

Hey, Sometimes product launches have unintended consequences - it happens. When GOG became aware that people were getting products that were off no use to them and didn't know they could refund - a responsible business should have halted the sales, investigated this and come up with a solution to treat the customer fairly.
SLP2000: It is not the first time when GOG does a Pinata sale, so they are well aware about the consequences. Vocal minority isn't something to bother. From what I can tell, this sale is probably very good for GOG, I've spent more money on GOG than for a whole year before.

Gog didn't. It carried on with the sale with no change.
SLP2000: That's good, great sale shouldn't change just because some people can't understand how it works.
You're right - GOG isn't a charity. But nobody isn't forcing to sell games at the price of pinata - it has chosen too. If GOG is making a loss on those sales, well, it shouldn't be selling them at that price. What it shouldn't be doing is expecting to make up it's losses on blind selling games to it's customers and expecting it's customer to accept goods they don't need. This isn't a gambling site, it's a digital good retailer.

I understand the principle behind this sale. I also understand how a responsible business works. Gog have not behaved responsibly in this one.

Look at how many people in this thread - a lot of people didn't know they could refund after unlocking a pinata. Because of unlocking a pinata, is the same as touching, a lot of people could have thought they weren't able to claim a refund.

MrGrimmX: I am severely disappointed in a few users who complain about losing a 3$ game lottery.. First off, if you guys are adults.. Shame on you.. You understood what you were agreeing too and you bought anyway.. Some retard up there was comparing this to minorities not getting a fair shake.. What a jackass. He should be banned for saying something so stupid. This sale was good and it was fun.. and if you can't man up on a 3$ bad draw, then don't play.
I appreciate your statement. However, this isn't a lottery and this isn't a gambling site.

Lottery and gambling have strict rules in place, none of which I have been able to find on this site.

This was a digital sale. GOG has tried to get people to accept goods that they didn't need and / or were of really poor quality. We have every right to complain.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by Croyzers
"This was a digital sale. GOG has tried to get people to accept goods that they didn't need and / or were of really poor quality."

What do you mean by "to get"?
Kristian: "This was a digital sale. GOG has tried to get people to accept goods that they didn't need and / or were of really poor quality."

To have people to buy
To trick people i to buying
To cheat people into shell money to acquire
In lure people in gamblimg for
I m no english, but I think is clear.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by OldOldGamer
Kristian: "This was a digital sale. GOG has tried to get people to accept goods that they didn't need and / or were of really poor quality."

OldOldGamer: To have people to buy
To trick people i to buying
To cheat people into shell money to acquire
In lure people in gamblimg for
I m no english, but I think is clear.
I see absolutely zero trickery, cheating or luring involved. As for "having" they don't "have" people do anything. There is no gun to anybody's head, they aren't threatening anybody or anything like that.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by Kristian