It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Magmarock: I responded dude check the other thread.
dadahl: Yep, found it as someone as I got on my computer.
Too busy living a life.
XD ssssssssure https://tinyurl.com/y9ob7pjc
LsRST: Cyberpunk 2077 presents the perfect opportunity to push the initiative in the near future, I think.

Might be enough to do a timed GOG.com-exclusive pre-order (upon announcement of the release date at the earliest) to reel in (and in the process long-term convert) heaps of new customers.
Customers who came for Cyberpunk 2077 and stayed for the DRM-free cause. Or other games besides Cyberpunk 2077 sold on GOG.com. Or the community. Or whatever.

I think CDProjektRED resp. GOG.com need to actually match the "aggressive" tone of "FCK DRM" with equally "aggressive" marketing/promotion strategies like this for the initiative to take off (a bit more).
(My apologies for responding so lately, but I had a few thoughts just recently.)

I very much like the idea of a timed GOG exclusive game, especially a very popular one. Unfortunately I am a bit worried that (at least at this point) it might not be as feasible as it should.
First, game companies seem very much concerned with the momentum created by publicity such as a game's release. A GOG only initial release would translate into some increased GOG sales. And would likely translate into a larger amount of decreased Steam sales. My suspicion is that at this point in time, CD Projekt Red would consider the loss of revenue too large to be justifiable.
Second, that the distribution deals, including the release dates, may have already been signed.
Third, Valve as the proverbial 800 Lb gorilla of game distribution is likely to wish to maintain its hegemony. As such I would tend to expect they implement policies to try to maintain it. No doubt all legal. Such as policies that would punish in some way games that are released on other platforms before Steam. Being locked out of Steam for a longer time that CD Projekt Red would prefer, less promotion of the game, etc.

My thought was that instead (barring a Steam policy contraindicating it) CD Projekt Red could instead have some sort of GOG-exclusive for content. Items, locations, characters not available on non-GOG platforms. Not exactly as good as an exclusive release, but would still encourage people to buy the GOG version.

Though hopefully I am worrying about nothing, and it might a timed exclusive after all.
squid830: I have yet to ever encounter someone who is in the DRM-free camp and equates cloud saves with DRM. So far I've only ever encountered one being who believes that cloud saves == DRM, and that is you. And you obviously enjoy being raped by large corporations, because with DRM you get fucked hard by Uncle EA and his filthy ilk.

I will never, ever accept DRM. There are a number of companies that don't do DRM, and (hopefully) never will. Any game that comes with DRM is a game I will not buy. There will always be alternatives.

In some countries, people said the same thing about discriminating against people based on the colour of their skin, or giving women the vote... "It'll never happen". Never say never - the anti-DRM movement is already much larger than it was when that crap first started appearing - most likely helped by all the people screwed over by always-on DRM shit - and unless large corporations buy out or exterminate all anti-DRM companies, it will continue to grow.
Kanashe: Yeah, there are such people in your pwecious Anti-DRM, but sure keep thinking that I'm the only one who thinks that. Since you're also the naive idiot who assumes your silly anti-DRM movement is huge, when its actually a small paper tiger facing a collosal storm.

Okay, I understand, you're a special snowflake who considers himself awesome because he stands the so called DRM overloards or whatever the fuck you picture yourself. Do enjoy your lil special fantasy of how you'll change the whole DRM thing. An boy I do hope they will exterminate the whole anti-DRM thing so I can laugh at all you losers even more, honestly to compare your pathetic crusade with civil liberties or something is hilarious. Compared to those guys, you people are a gathering of either tumblr users or SJW types in terms of being taken seriously.
Why are you here then, when you're apparently so against GoG and what they're doing? It shouldn't make any difference to you then. Thing is it already had an effect. The vast majority of gamers are against DRM instead of being indifferent to it. Take a look at the thriving indie market mostly DRM free. Wouldn't be the case if they all employed DRM. I'd say we are on the right course just like when most music had DRM and the snowflakes were saying nobody would have an effect.
Post edited September 10, 2018 by PromZA
I think when it comes to DRM-free, it is GOG's responsibility to convince other companies that the practice is sustainable. That is one of the reasons why I advocate the commissioned porting of console games: They don't yet occupy the PC market, their audience and quality is established, and it is a way to contest Steam.

By taking on the risk of a DRM-free release, GOG would demonstrate confidence on the matter.
LsRST: Cyberpunk 2077 presents the perfect opportunity to push the initiative in the near future, I think.

Might be enough to do a timed GOG.com-exclusive pre-order (upon announcement of the release date at the earliest) to reel in (and in the process long-term convert) heaps of new customers.
Customers who came for Cyberpunk 2077 and stayed for the DRM-free cause. Or other games besides Cyberpunk 2077 sold on GOG.com. Or the community. Or whatever.

I think CDProjektRED resp. GOG.com need to actually match the "aggressive" tone of "FCK DRM" with equally "aggressive" marketing/promotion strategies like this for the initiative to take off (a bit more).
dadahl: (My apologies for responding so lately, but I had a few thoughts just recently.)

I very much like the idea of a timed GOG exclusive game, especially a very popular one. Unfortunately I am a bit worried that (at least at this point) it might not be as feasible as it should.
First, game companies seem very much concerned with the momentum created by publicity such as a game's release. A GOG only initial release would translate into some increased GOG sales. And would likely translate into a larger amount of decreased Steam sales. My suspicion is that at this point in time, CD Projekt Red would consider the loss of revenue too large to be justifiable.
Second, that the distribution deals, including the release dates, may have already been signed.
Third, Valve as the proverbial 800 Lb gorilla of game distribution is likely to wish to maintain its hegemony. As such I would tend to expect they implement policies to try to maintain it. No doubt all legal. Such as policies that would punish in some way games that are released on other platforms before Steam. Being locked out of Steam for a longer time that CD Projekt Red would prefer, less promotion of the game, etc.

My thought was that instead (barring a Steam policy contraindicating it) CD Projekt Red could instead have some sort of GOG-exclusive for content. Items, locations, characters not available on non-GOG platforms. Not exactly as good as an exclusive release, but would still encourage people to buy the GOG version.

Though hopefully I am worrying about nothing, and it might a timed exclusive after all.
That is kind of what Steam has done with Half Life 2. Online activations appeared before but usually to the companies loss. HL2 was the "accepted" ground zero for online DRM and got the masses to make a steam account.

CDPR & GoG "merely" need to have the next Half Life (popularity wise) with CP2077. Right now I do not see that happening. It will most likely be a really popular seller and some kind of gaming milestone. But I do not think they have the solid grab on their core audience and beyond that HL2 had back then to pull off an gog exclusive start and hope for a HL2 effect.

So essentially it could be done. But... CDPR really need to get their shit together so to speak for that happening and with the current course... well.. they might need to wait for their next title for such an attempt.
Anothername: That is kind of what Steam has done with Half Life 2. Online activations appeared before but usually to the companies loss. HL2 was the "accepted" ground zero for online DRM and got the masses to make a steam account.

CDPR & GoG "merely" need to have the next Half Life (popularity wise) with CP2077. Right now I do not see that happening. It will most likely be a really popular seller and some kind of gaming milestone. But I do not think they have the solid grab on their core audience and beyond that HL2 had back then to pull off an gog exclusive start and hope for a HL2 effect.

So essentially it could be done. But... CDPR really need to get their shit together so to speak for that happening and with the current course... well.. they might need to wait for their next title for such an attempt.
“'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'” Yogi Berra

I haven't really been following Cyberpunk 2077, so I can't say anything about how popular it's going to be. Which was why I referred to a timed exclusive of a very popular game being useful, by which I meant to say that if the game was popular enough to work to the degree that you point out as being necessary, not that I had the slightest idea if it was going to be popular to that degree. Should've phrased it a bit better.

And to add to what you've said, I believe that there is a principle along the lines that a new entry into a market, an ecosystem, will more easily expand and grow in a more empty one than it would in a more filled one. Given the number of games that are being made every year now, as opposed to when Half-life 2 was released, and digital distribution nowadays allowing a larger back catalog to sell against as opposed to limited store shelves at the time of Half-Life 2, I suspect you're right.
That Cyberpunk 2077 will likely not have quite the same impact as Half-Life 2.
Though perhaps I will be wrong.

With the benefit of hindsight, I do wonder if Witcher 3 might have done a better job as an exclusive.
Though the problem with hypotheticals is that they could so easily go so many different ways. Witcher 3 could easily have ended up with a much diminished impact on the market when a large amount of Steam fans chose to ignore it, rather than buy it DRM-free. Reviewers ignoring or panning it for not being on Steam, instead of rating it Game of The Year.
Post edited September 10, 2018 by dadahl
low rated
Kanashe: Yeah, there are such people in your pwecious Anti-DRM, but sure keep thinking that I'm the only one who thinks that. Since you're also the naive idiot who assumes your silly anti-DRM movement is huge, when its actually a small paper tiger facing a collosal storm.

Okay, I understand, you're a special snowflake who considers himself awesome because he stands the so called DRM overloards or whatever the fuck you picture yourself. Do enjoy your lil special fantasy of how you'll change the whole DRM thing. An boy I do hope they will exterminate the whole anti-DRM thing so I can laugh at all you losers even more, honestly to compare your pathetic crusade with civil liberties or something is hilarious. Compared to those guys, you people are a gathering of either tumblr users or SJW types in terms of being taken seriously.
PromZA: Why are you here then, when you're apparently so against GoG and what they're doing? It shouldn't make any difference to you then. Thing is it already had an effect. The vast majority of gamers are against DRM instead of being indifferent to it. Take a look at the thriving indie market mostly DRM free. Wouldn't be the case if they all employed DRM. I'd say we are on the right course just like when most music had DRM and the snowflakes were saying nobody would have an effect.
No they haven't, there isn't a "vast majority" there's actually a "vast minority" of gamers who are against DRM. By thriving indie market you usually mean a dozen shitty games with maybe like ten or five actually worth to play? Yeah, ofcourse the indie market is thriving, when it's filled with tons and tons of bullshit, so no you aren't on the right course because as I said before and it I guess it bears repeating: This movement is a fucking joke and people who take it seriously are a walking punchline

Also what GoG is doing? Oh, you mean all this bullshit publicity how they are Anti-DRM, so they can get more suckers in?
Post edited September 10, 2018 by Kanashe
I asked them to add Zoom Platform and Fireflower Games on principle via eMail when this thing appeared, not expecting much.
They weren't added of course.

This is just an dishonest promo campaign probably decided on in some shareholder's meeting.
Although GOG clearly has its merits and is still my primary store, the other two stores are actually more DRM-free than GOG since GOG has implemented DRM into many multi-player games via Galaxy since it checks accounts and ownership so that you can't play those games in MP with your siblings without buying another copy for the same household for example.

Eitherway, making such a site and then making it look like GOG is the only DRM-free gaming store out there is just outright lying.
Yet another disappointment.
Post edited September 12, 2018 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: I asked them to add Zoom and Fireflower Games on principle via eMail when this thing appeared, not expecting much.

This is just an dishonest promo campaign probably decided on in some shareholder's meeting.
Although GOG clearly has its merits and is still my primary store, the other two stores are actually more DRM-free than GOG since GOG has implemented DRM into many multi-player games via Galaxy since it checks accounts and ownership so that you can't play those games in MP with your siblings without buying another copy for the same household for example.

Eitherway, making such a site and then making it look like GOG is the only DRM-free gaming store out there is just outright lying.
I asked them to add Zoom Platform and Fireflower Games on principle via eMail, not expecting much.

Although GOG clearly has its merits, the other two stores are actually more DRM-free than GOG since GOG has implemented DRM into many multi-player games via Galaxy since it checks accounts and ownership so that you can't play those games in MP with your siblings without buying another copy for the same household for example.

Yet another disappointment.
According to some pages back in this thread Zoom probably would have requested to be taken off the list since they have some kind of thing going on between them and GoG. I do guess that they cannot just put other up with the campaign (at least one with such wording) without asking. But I do not think the other two stores where asked and if the postings here are to be believed Fireflowers request to be added to the campaign even actively ignored.
Anothername: That is kind of what Steam has done with Half Life 2. Online activations appeared before but usually to the companies loss. HL2 was the "accepted" ground zero for online DRM and got the masses to make a steam account.

This is my take on it as well. Half Life is what put Valve and Steam on the map. Going Origin exclusive didn't work so well for EA publicity wise but they must have derived some benefits from it. There has to be an incentive money wise for CDPR to go with their own store over Steam. Cyberpunk 2077 would need to be the next "you have to play this game" for it to be an exclusive. Right now even with the pre-release hype I don't know if that will be the case.
PromZA: Why are you here then, when you're apparently so against GoG and what they're doing? It shouldn't make any difference to you then. Thing is it already had an effect. The vast majority of gamers are against DRM instead of being indifferent to it. Take a look at the thriving indie market mostly DRM free. Wouldn't be the case if they all employed DRM. I'd say we are on the right course just like when most music had DRM and the snowflakes were saying nobody would have an effect.
Kanashe: No they haven't, there isn't a "vast majority" there's actually a "vast minority" of gamers who are against DRM. By thriving indie market you usually mean a dozen shitty games with maybe like ten or five actually worth to play? Yeah, ofcourse the indie market is thriving, when it's filled with tons and tons of bullshit, so no you aren't on the right course because as I said before and it I guess it bears repeating: This movement is a fucking joke and people who take it seriously are a walking punchline

Also what GoG is doing? Oh, you mean all this bullshit publicity how they are Anti-DRM, so they can get more suckers in?
So again why are you here when you see everyone here as suckers? Seems more like you are the snowflake here. The majority of gamers have simply accepted DRM as something with no alternative. But you're just not seeing all those who are against it. A big part of the gaming community has already jumped ship to consoles and I continually have to hear from console fanboys how they don't have to even consider DRM. DRM is the single biggest factor harming the PC gaming market.

You're conveniently ignoring all the crap that came from big game studios while not seeing all the good titles that came from indie studios. If we want to talk about jokes what about Microsoft that got laughed back to their boardroom when they wanted to introduce DRM forcing them to do a quick u-turn?

Denuvo claims that Bethesda dropped it because it did the job. Yeah right pull the other one, it has bells. Never heard of DRM that got dropped because it works. The reality is that Doom 4 had some of the worst initial sales to date with frequent 50-75% discounts and gfx card manufacturers bundling it for free. Yeah Denuvo "worked", in chasing away legitimate customers. They dropped it when it came to light that Denuvo illegally included software in their product and it was flagged as malware. How's that for irony?
Kanashe: No they haven't, there isn't a "vast majority" there's actually a "vast minority" of gamers who are against DRM. By thriving indie market you usually mean a dozen shitty games with maybe like ten or five actually worth to play? Yeah, ofcourse the indie market is thriving, when it's filled with tons and tons of bullshit, so no you aren't on the right course because as I said before and it I guess it bears repeating: This movement is a fucking joke and people who take it seriously are a walking punchline

PromZA: So again why are you here when you see everyone here as suckers? Seems more like you are the snowflake here. The majority of gamers have simply accepted DRM as something with no alternative. But you're just not seeing all those who are against it. A big part of the gaming community has already jumped ship to consoles and I continually have to hear from console fanboys how they don't have to even consider DRM. DRM is the single biggest factor harming the PC gaming market.

You're conveniently ignoring all the crap that came from big game studios while not seeing all the good titles that came from indie studios. If we want to talk about jokes what about Microsoft that got laughed back to their boardroom when they wanted to introduce DRM forcing them to do a quick u-turn?

Denuvo claims that Bethesda dropped it because it did the job. Yeah right pull the other one, it has bells. Never heard of DRM that got dropped because it works. The reality is that Doom 4 had some of the worst initial sales to date with frequent 50-75% discounts and gfx card manufacturers bundling it for free. Yeah Denuvo "worked", in chasing away legitimate customers. They dropped it when it came to light that Denuvo illegally included software in their product and it was flagged as malware. How's that for irony?
Yeah, I can count those titles on one fucking hand. Wanna know how many garbage titles your pwecious indies are pumping out on daily basis? Because lemme tell ya, it's a lot of fucking trash. As for me, I mostly get shit that Steam doesn't have, not because I believe GOG Anti-DRM policy BS.
If someone's interested the 18th September will be the International Day Against DRM:
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm?pk_campaign=idad2018&pk_kwd=2wks
Also if anyone's interested, asked if there was any update from Fireflower, just got "It didn't bounce this time but they haven't replied."
ok. anyone noticed that the website is down? did EU ban it or did my ISP do that?