It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I absolutely love Master of Magic; have loved it since way back when.

When Age of Wonders was first released, I was super excited. Read all the previews in gaming magazines. Bought it on day one. And was - of course - utterly disappointed. Yes, it looked way nicer than Master of Magic, but whatever made MoM work (probably its lack of balance between certain races/powers; the way you could with a lot of hard work become seriously overpowered - but still have a true challenge fighting your AI-opponents until very near the endgame), was pretty much absent in AoW. I think I abandoned the game halfway through the campaign.

Now what I'm wondering is, did they manage to recapture the MoM-magic in any of the later AoW installments? Like, say, in Shadow Magic? :) Or should I just stick to playing Master of Magic and forget about my youthful hopes?
gogtrial34987: Now what I'm wondering is, did they manage to recapture the MoM-magic in any of the later AoW installments? Like, say, in Shadow Magic? :) Or should I just stick to playing Master of Magic and forget about my youthful hopes?
I played MoM and more than one part of AoW and I liked AoWs, but it was different "like" than MoM.
I'm still looking for the rightful successor of MoM.
Aramandur: I highly recommend Defender's Quest, this is one of my favourite indie games and one of the best tower defense I've ever played. After the last update it's looks even better than before. I've finished it three times already!
After your recommendation I started to think about asking here for Defender's Quest (if I'm not too late yet) as I'm big fan of strategies, but I watched a few let's plays and that manga-like graphics did not convince me. :/ I know it sounds stupid, but when I'm playing most tower defense games I'm watching mostly the same screen all the time (just adding more "things" here and there) so such small thing like graphics should be "accepted" by my eye and here is not so quite so I'm torn now. :(

BTW: My best tower defense game is Cursed Treasure - it's free flash app. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcIcXzX2B7c
Post edited April 15, 2018 by Lexor
gogtrial34987: I absolutely love Master of Magic; have loved it since way back when.

When Age of Wonders was first released, I was super excited. Read all the previews in gaming magazines. Bought it on day one. And was - of course - utterly disappointed. Yes, it looked way nicer than Master of Magic, but whatever made MoM work (probably its lack of balance between certain races/powers; the way you could with a lot of hard work become seriously overpowered - but still have a true challenge fighting your AI-opponents until very near the endgame), was pretty much absent in AoW. I think I abandoned the game halfway through the campaign.

Now what I'm wondering is, did they manage to recapture the MoM-magic in any of the later AoW installments? Like, say, in Shadow Magic? :) Or should I just stick to playing Master of Magic and forget about my youthful hopes?
Wouldn't compare the two. At least from what I remember of MoM, it's quite different from AoW and I'd say AoW never meant to be compared to it. For one, MoM is about, well, magic, while in AoW magic is limited. You do have more magic in AoW2 (reviewed it) but still different. Been playing SM on and off for a while now, and the shadow realm adds some more complexity, but they weakened heroes so that's unpleasant. Does make for more reliance on magic, and had some crazy battles so far, either with dozens of units on each side or with a handful against dozens, but then again had those in AoW2 too and the powerful heroes made the feeling all the better. Can't put my finger on it, but the one-more-turn feeling seems a bit less in SM.
Cavalary: Wouldn't compare the two. At least from what I remember of MoM, it's quite different from AoW and I'd say AoW never meant to be compared to it.
Back in ...1999 it definitely was marketed (or maybe only ((p)reviewed?) as such. The developers were Dutch, so there was a ton of publicity about it here.

Anyway, thanks to you and Lexor for your reactions. Sounds like I won't be requesting this one, then. :)
Btw, I'm quite surprised no one is requesting Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

It's a small game, only a few hours long. But it's a nice action puzzle platformer The story is nothing special, but the puzzle is pretty clever, and you're given a very interesting tool. A laser that can cut most objects. You cut whatever you think to make ways or solve puzzle.

I really like this game and can recommend it
I finished Age of Wonders just a few days ago and I loved it (Cult of Storms rules!). Even after nearly 20 years from its release. There is a wide margin for improvement, of course, still it is a very enjoyable game.
I have never played Master of Magic though.
Thanks cecil for the key and Zeogold for the Giveaway :)
Aramandur: snip
ciemnogrodzianin: From what I know it requires much more micromanagement. In Settlers you don't need to care about single settlers and their needs.

I was always interested in Cultures, but I'm still postponing the game because I've heard it's extremely long - 200h+ of gameplay, as far as I know... But I'll try someday, I think ;)
Maybe they meant all games together with all campaigns and single player maps though I don't believe I played cultures 1 and 2 that long back when bravo screenfun made them available on their cds I think. The campaign could be per game your usual 30 hours per single entry game in the series or something or maybe even less time. But that was a long time ago since i beaten cultures 1 and i didn't touch too much of the single maps though. Also not that long ago i did play some single palyer maps because they are good too in cultures 1, 2 and nothland.
I did beat northland a year or 2 ago but still need to play and finish 8th wonders of the world. I think I did beaten the game under 30 hours in northland.
Post edited April 15, 2018 by Fonzer
Fonzer: ...
Hm, thanks. That's interesting. There seems to be nothing to afraid of.
Perhaps I'll put it on my wishlist then and grab during the next sale.
Fonzer: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Hm, thanks. That's interesting. There seems to be nothing to afraid of.
Perhaps I'll put it on my wishlist then and grab during the next sale.
Sometimes I just check howlongtobeat.com and cultures 1 is somewhere there in 25 hours for campaign but one game I haven't fully commited to it yet is spellforce platinum edition I have it on dvd but I only played spellforce 2 shadow wars and beaten it for now and the time it takes to beat spellforce 1 platinum with the add-ons goes into 200 hours maybe while I even haven't properly started it.
I also beaten the original campaign of HOMM3 but didn't play much of the add-ons yet.
Some games really take much time.

Also i never said this but i never played any settlers game only cultures and i loved playing the cultures games
Fonzer: Also i never said this but i never played any settlers game only cultures and i loved playing the cultures games
I'll try them for sure, thanks for all thought shared here. And I really recommend Settlers 2. It's one of very few games I was coming back to and always loved to play.

Oh, and by the by - thank you, Dejavous, for Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy! I've just finished the game and really liked it!
Post edited April 18, 2018 by ciemnogrodzianin
Lexor: After your recommendation I started to think about asking here for Defender's Quest (if I'm not too late yet) as I'm big fan of strategies, but I watched a few let's plays and that manga-like graphics did not convince me. :/ I know it sounds stupid, but when I'm playing most tower defense games I'm watching mostly the same screen all the time
I loved the game, though I don't share that particular concern.

The extent to which you can control the game speed means, at least as I recall, other than endless challenge modes, you don't actually stare at the screen that long, but are making active decisions about where to spend resources / cast spells.

And if you're at a stage in a board where you aren't actively making decisions, you can crank the speed way up and be done with it.

Still, the art style is certainly part of the game's delivery here, esp in the cut scenes but also in the play.
ciemnogrodzianin: I was always interested in Cultures
Gra-
ciemnogrodzianin: but I'm still postponing the game because I've heard it's extremely long
...why? Why must you toy with my reflexes so?
low rated
Could I have a key for Kingdom come: Deliverance? if not, can I have a key for a game that you'd recommend?