It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

F4LL0UT: Just fully opened the machine and discovered a horrible mess: the grid between the CPU and the fan was almost completely covered in dust. It totally blows my mind, I don't even know how it got there. I mean, the CPU fan is meant to suck the heat away, not blow cool air at the CPU, right? So I don't get how there could be so much dust on the fan's side of the grid - and the CPU fan is definitely attached properly as its design doesn't even allow to attach it the wrong way around. Anyway, I removed that layer of dirt but sadly my PC still hasn't gotten much quieter. There's still some part somewhere which is causing an awful buzzing noise. It's certainly not a wire touching one of the fans or anything. It really has to be something beneath the graphic card's case but that thing is shut tight, would take a lot of effort to dismantle it. :/
Ive had trouble with aluminium case and resonance. I put some rubber feets under the computer, which actually seemed to help some. But atleast in my computer majority of noise is from old-old nvidia gtx 295 which something between leafblower and vacuum cleaner. I wish i had budget to change it just about anything else :(
iippo: Ive had trouble with aluminium case and resonance. I put some rubber feets under the computer, which actually seemed to help some. But atleast in my computer majority of noise is from old-old nvidia gtx 295 which something between leafblower and vacuum cleaner. I wish i had budget to change it just about anything else :(
Yeah, my old PC was pretty loud for similar reasons and at some point I developed the tradition of giving it a gentle kick once in a while (it would slightly move and stop resonating). I'm too lazy to actually solve problems.
Post edited April 09, 2013 by F4LL0UT
iippo: Ive had trouble with aluminium case and resonance. I put some rubber feets under the computer, which actually seemed to help some. But atleast in my computer majority of noise is from old-old nvidia gtx 295 which something between leafblower and vacuum cleaner. I wish i had budget to change it just about anything else :(
F4LL0UT: Yeah, my old PC was pretty loud for similar reasons and at some point I developed the tradition of giving it a gentle kick once in a while (it would slightly move and stop resonating). I'm too lazy to actually solve problems.
Buying quality fans (for both case and cpu) in the first place can save a lot of ears.. But resonance is more tricky. Actually now that i think of it again, ive fixed the resonance few times by moving the pump - ive got old water cooled computer atm. When i buy my next computer some time in the far future, i have to see if i can afford one of those "budget watercoolers" - meaning the ones premade with closed loop. If can cram it into whatever small case choose then.

My current tower is just far too massive for my taste. I dont really care for Apple - but i must admit that i am a bit envious of the compact design.
Annoyed that I haven't received a reply in two days at a certain Kickstarter page and their respective website about whether or not I can increase my original Kickstarter pledge via Paypal

I'm trying to give you more money you dimwits!
Why is it with some people that they constantly need to touch and tap your PC or laptop monitor when they are showing something to you? Like yesterday, some person came to explain me some problem at work, he kept tapping on the monitor with his long fingernail, and otherwise fondling it with his greasy fingers. Yes yes, I can see the text on the screen without you keeping a finger on it all the time.

I offered him a mouse so that he can point to things with it, but no, he insists fondling and puncturing the screen with his filthy fingers. Go pick your nose or something, it is not a touchscreen device!

Same was earlier when someone came to constantly tap on the laptop screen with his sharp pencil, sometimes pressing it quite hard.

It seems my big computer monitor screen is made of harder substance so maybe it can take the abuse (albeit maybe it can still get scratched, and I prefer not to have someone's fingerprints all over it anyway), but the laptop screen is softer and gives the kind of "watery" effect if you touch it. And that one guy was tapping it with his sharp pencil.

Stay away from my computer screens! Go lick and abuse your own computer.

While we are at it, I don't understand the people who use a keyboard very loudly, hitting the keys with full force. It is not a mechanical typewriter where you have to use force.
Post edited April 09, 2013 by timppu
timppu: Why is it with some people that they constantly need to touch and tap your PC or laptop monitor when they are showing something to you? Like yesterday, some person came to explain me some problem at work, he kept tapping on the monitor with his long fingernail, and otherwise fondling it with his greasy fingers. Yes yes, I can see the text on the screen without you keeping a finger on it all the time.

I offered him a mouse so that he can point to things with it, but no, he insists fondling and puncturing the screen with his filthy fingers. Go pick your nose or something, it is not a touchscreen device!

Same was earlier when someone came to constantly tap on the laptop screen with his sharp pencil, sometimes pressing it quite hard.

It seems my big computer monitor screen is made of harder substance so maybe it can take the abuse (albeit maybe it can still get scratched, and I prefer not to have someone's fingerprints all over it anyway), but the laptop screen is softer and gives the kind of "watery" effect if you touch it. And that one guy was tapping it with his sharp pencil.

Stay away from my computer screens! Go lick and abuse your own computer.

While we are at it, I don't understand the people who use a keyboard very loudly, hitting the keys with full force. It is not a mechanical typewriter where you have to use force.
+1
You should write a book about this stuff, the way you express is it classic. I know you are frustrated but I'm laughing my ass off reading about it.
timppu: While we are at it, I don't understand the people who use a keyboard very loudly, hitting the keys with full force. It is not a mechanical typewriter where you have to use force.
One of my co-workers is like this when he is really angry about something. He is the kind of guy that is friendly in person but can churn out a lot of hate/bash mail behind your back. When he's in his mood it sounds like someone firing a machine gun as he is obviously typing faster than he could probably think. Headphones are of no help. ;)

If we are at complaining about annoying behavior... I really hate it when people address you to tell you something and suddenly in the middle of the sentence start to yawn. I don't know why this annoys me so much but I usually feel very insulted. Just get through with your yawning and sneezing and what not and then tell me your very very important thing you absolutely need to tell me about. But don't interrupt me just to display your lack of control over your own body.
Following this topic, from George Carlin, people who can't tell you about a phone call they made without pantomiming being on the phone. Yeah, that's not too annoying.
Oh no, my muscles have formed an union and are getting rowdy about being overworked. Curses, who taught them about their rights and to gang up on me? I didn't even do anything with some of the rowdy muscles! Unions are scary..
I had the worst family vacation of my life (with extended family...if that's not bad enough), got so upset with all the bickering and passive aggressive behavior that I drove 10 hours straight in a crappy Toyota rental with a slipping transmission to get home and get away from them. Came home to a very happy cat that purred and and wouldn't leave my side.....only to find her dead the next morning (couldn't afford a necropsy at the time to find out why she died)....then I lost my job not long after that! Sounds like a country song, but it's true! So I guess my major "bitch about life" is that when it rains, it pours!
For the first time in years, i finally have something positive to say.
Today i got a dog which i've wanted for years! It's a four year old German Shepard and she's really nice and gentle.
I can't remember when I was this happy :-)
Have a nice week everyone!!!
orcishgamer: 99% of the time that's a wire vibrating against one of your case fans.
F4LL0UT: Just fully opened the machine and discovered a horrible mess: the grid between the CPU and the fan was almost completely covered in dust. It totally blows my mind, I don't even know how it got there. I mean, the CPU fan is meant to suck the heat away, not blow cool air at the CPU, right? So I don't get how there could be so much dust on the fan's side of the grid - and the CPU fan is definitely attached properly as its design doesn't even allow to attach it the wrong way around. Anyway, I removed that layer of dirt but sadly my PC still hasn't gotten much quieter. There's still some part somewhere which is causing an awful buzzing noise. It's certainly not a wire touching one of the fans or anything. It really has to be something beneath the graphic card's case but that thing is shut tight, would take a lot of effort to dismantle it. :/
Umm, you're running voltage through metal, that fan as air intake as well, there's a weak magnetic field there, that's why you get dust particles. Yes, you gotta blow out your heatsinks every so often.

Still, glad you figured it out.
orcishgamer: Umm, you're running voltage through metal, that fan as air intake as well, there's a weak magnetic field there, that's why you get dust particles. Yes, you gotta blow out your heatsinks every so often.
Well, no other CPU fan I've owned so far has ever ended up in such a bad state. But indeed, it seems that I'll have to thoroughly clean this one every couple of months. Oh well. I like my PC so I'll enjoy it. ^^
Quite sickly, plus surgery on friday. Turning out to be a wonderful week
I had a terrible nightmare: my computer was stuck playing a Lady Gaga playlist at full blast. I tried muting the media player, but this had no effect. I tried muting it through the Windows sound panel thing, and still nothing. Tried shutting the media player and killing it via task manager. Nothing. Turning the speakers off didn't help either. The PC wouldn't shut down or do a hard reset. Unplugged it, and the damn thing still kept on going.

Also, my phone's battery seems to have lost about 50% of its capacity overnight. Nothing I can't live with, though.