It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zlaywal: I can't decide what to buy in this sale, Mafia II or Deus Ex MD Deluxe, can only pick one. Maybe I'll toss a coin to decide
Bought MD myself. Has issues running for many (got it running okay on lowest settings and by dropping res to 1600x900). Seems to be good thus far.
Mafia 2 (at least the original version, have not played the remaster) isnt very free roaming, but does provide a solid and atmospheric american gangster movie experience.
rather different games really.
hope thats of some use.
Post edited August 29, 2021 by Sachys
zlaywal: I can't decide what to buy in this sale, Mafia II or Deus Ex MD Deluxe, can only pick one. Maybe I'll toss a coin to decide
morolf: Buy Deus Ex, Mafia II is bad, you're playing a repellent criminal in it. And Deus Ex has more varied gameplay, Mafia II is just a stupid cover shooter.
In case this is still relevant, I'm going to second this. I didn't know what to expect when I started Mafia II and it was still really quite crap. I even got a free code as an apology for a stupidly lengthy computer repair and, having finished the game, thought I would have been better off without that code.
The way I'm currently feeling I'll post what I said when someone (the one of two people who asked about me) asked if I was ok: No. I am a fire breathing dragon. I am Godzilla wanting to smash cities to dust. I am a supernova wanting to burn away the whole universe.
low rated
Fang162: The way I'm currently feeling I'll post what I said when someone (the one of two people who asked about me) asked if I was ok: No. I am a fire breathing dragon. I am Godzilla wanting to smash cities to dust. I am a supernova wanting to burn away the whole universe.
I thought I was the only one!
morolf:
Sachys:
AlKim:
Hey, thanks for all the reply. These were the games I needed to complete the 2 franchises in my GOG library. I have actually played Mafia II years ago, but not the DLCs so I already knew what I'm gonna get on that particular case.

In the end I decided to get Deus Ex MD. It's cheaper as well XD Maybe in the next 2K sale (when Mafia 1 remake released here perhaps?) I'll get Mafia 2.

Cheers
Post edited September 01, 2021 by zlaywal
high rated
Breathing is getting heavy :-S

I suggest everyone just goes and gets their vaccine jabs.
Fang162: The way I'm currently feeling I'll post what I said when someone (the one of two people who asked about me) asked if I was ok: No. I am a fire breathing dragon. I am Godzilla wanting to smash cities to dust. I am a supernova wanting to burn away the whole universe.
fr33kSh0w2012: I thought I was the only one!
Been thinking a lot and thought I'd just air out my thoughts and post. Apologies if this offends anyone. Alright let's start w/:

Since I was in middle school, all I wanted was to be married to a smart, beautiful, sweet, and loving woman, come home to her and live our lives together. Life showed me very early that wasn't in the cards for me. My first crush was in high school. She was smart, beautiful, loving, and sweet. Long copper ringlets of hair running down to the middle of her back. Eyes made of the purest jade. Porcelain skin w/ cute little freckles all over it. Sharp as a razor and knew how to cut like one. I fell so hard for her that I just had to let her know, but I was petrified of her. What I did was send a note to a teacher and ask if she could give it to the girl. The teacher did. I watched as she went to her car, wrote her own note, gave it to the teacher, then drove away. The note said she was glad I was a friend of hers and that she was going to college soon and that she had a boyfriend she was very happy with.

That night I stayed up all night staring at my ceiling. It bothered me so much. Why I didn't learn my lesson there I'll never know. Guess I'm just stubborn like that. In college.....I'd need this website's server space for all the misadventures there. I'll relate just one story. In a class I was in a group w/ someone. I asked if she'd like to do get together to study for our class. She said yes. We talked every other day on the phone. She needed help w/ another class and I helped as much as I could. She asked me to come over to her dorm room. We hung out for hours at a time, she and I. Her birthday came up and I took her on a date and got her a present. One night as we were together something wonderful came to my heart. I wanted to date this woman. I wanted to be there for her. Take care of her and support her as much as I could. I asked if we could go out as boyfriend and girlfriend. She said she already had a boyfriend. Nothing else she said was heard. All I saw was red and that was the end of that. Later I found out she was just using me b/c all her friends said she was racist and having me hang around (as a person of color) would make them stop calling her that.

My fifth and final girlfriend. I loved her so much. She wasn't a super model, but she was beautiful to me. Sweet, loving, caring. The things we did, the places we went, the times when we just stayed home and watched movies. She was a huge MCU nerd and I loved it. One of her favorite characters was Hela. We went to see that movie when it was released and we both had a blast. A few months later she comes to me w/ the, "It's not you it's me," speech. She still wanted to be friends, of course. Then one time she said she was packing everything and moving away I asked her not to go. She said she was and that was final. For days she wouldn't reply if I asked about her. I asked her best friend if she had moved. Then my ex (who I thought still wanted to be friends) gave me the third degree and told me to shove off. Over me asking if she was okay and she got to where she was going safely.

What really sets me over the edge is all the insecure men out there who make their g/f's or wives give up all their male friends. I had a friend of a decade. She was my best friend. I was there for her when her dad took his own life. She was so tore up and I tried to support her as best I could. When the s#it hit the fan for me she talked me down, helped me get through the crisis. Helped me make a decision. Now? Her @$$hole boyfriend says, "Nope, can't talk to her anymore," and I say, "Can't let her speak for herself?" and she comes up and says, "Yes, I love him, don't want to talk to you anymore," and that's it. A decade of friendship, burned away to ashes. Her life, her choices, I get it.

Some examples of a litany of fails, horror stories, and other mishaps. Funny thing is so many people tell me I'm a great guy. That a woman would be so lucky to have me, yet they wouldn't give me a chance. Even when I had money and worked out 6 days a week. Had maybe about 12% body fat. Had money I didn't know what to do w/. All I got was used, hurt, and tossed away like an old rag doll.

So I'm just done w/ it. I'm done w/ people, w/ trying to find someone.

I'm tired of people being so hateful, greedy, and selfish towards each other. Guess we're still products of the planet. We are animals. That won't ever change or we wouldn't be human anymore. This is something we've struggled w/ since man walked upright and hit each other w/ sticks.

And suffering still after all this time from a workplace injury. Was at my old job since I was 17. After the injury it's been hard to be on my feet for a long period of time. Oh no, you're not disabled. So what if you can't stand on your feet or walk for more than 15 minutes at a time? Here, we'll send you to doctor after doctor, treatment after treatment. Can't even get unemployment until I'm 'ready to work' and even then the waiting list is so long it's just silly. Supposed to get treated for my injury later this month. All I can hope is for some sort of relief so I can work. If this doesn't help, who knows what will happen.

Now there's this 'bug' going around that isn't the Black Death. It's serious but not THAT serious. People are blowing this 'covid' thing so out of proportion that it's just plain sad to watch. Entire nations putting their people under lock and key because a few people fell ill. Not tens or hundreds of thousands, a few. Coming soon near you: More lockdowns! Over a virus w/ a death rate under that of the flu! Not trying to change anyone's mind. Everyone has pretty much made up their mind by now, but for me, it's just too much for an issue so small.

This helped to blow off some steam but I can still feel massive heaps of rage inside. Don't worry. I'm doing just fine. Making plans to move on and live the life that I want to. If you made it this far thank you for reading.
low rated
Yes I know all about the covid19 Head cold!
Sometimes I wish Idiots would get it!
I have a busted leg too every 15 steps and my leg FLIES OUT SIDEWAYS underneath me!
It was so agonising I LOST MY DAMN SANITY!
Imagine having appendicitis for a damn decade
Imagine a burning and stinging pain as hot as a piece of COAL GLOWING WHITE and eating away your insides like sulphuric ACID
But according to doctors I am perfectly healthy???
Then they did another scan and found ulcers all through my intestines and how insanely inflamed my entire GI tract is.
Also the doc told me that my intestines move in a VERY ODD MANNER!
I was for a while there contemplating suicide to get away from the PAIN!
The only thing that stopped me was my mother NEEDING ME!

You know what is really funny these injections are creating injection resistant strands of covid19
Post edited September 02, 2021 by fr33kSh0w2012
low rated
§pec†re: It was probably something inside but finding out what it is faulty is harder than replacing the cable.
Yeah, I hear ya on that.

====

morolf: Buy Deus Ex, Mafia II is bad, you're playing a repellent criminal in it.
Isn't one supposed to play more so things/people one is not while playing games(i.e. escapism)? Ergo and forthwith, if this is so then tis only natural to play such characters in games.
Post edited September 02, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
Fang162: This helped to blow off some steam but I can still feel massive heaps of rage inside. Don't worry. I'm doing just fine. Making plans to move on and live the life that I want to. If you made it this far thank you for reading.
Sorry to hear that life has dealt ya such a crap hand.....also glad to hear you're trying to move on and enjoy life a bit.

My advice? Do the best you can for yourself and others and live a life you feel is good, and try not to worry so much about what others think. :)
low rated
GamezRanker: Isn't one supposed to play more so things/people one is not while playing games(i.e. escapism)? Ergo and forthwith, if this is so then tis only natural to play such characters in games.
SPOILER FOR MAFIA GAMES

I don't know, the idea of playing a Mafioso just doesn't appeal to me at all. And from what I've seen and read, the protagonist in Mafia 2 just is an unlikable jerk who I couldn't identify with at all (iirc the protagonist in the first game is more of a tragic character, who has some scruples and embarks on a life of crime almost by accident...and in the end he is killed by the thuggish protagonists of Mafia 2 who don't have such scruples...).

Anyway, people will think I'm overly moralistic, but the thought of playing a violent career criminal just doesn't appeal to me (and I've watched let's plays of Mafia II, you kill dozens of people, and not just gangsters, but also policemen, or even innocent civilians), feels kind of offensive to me. Especially when you don't really have a choice about the level of violence you employ.
low rated
morolf: And from what I've seen and read, the protagonist in Mafia 2 just is an unlikable jerk...
So wait, you're saying that in a game called Mafia 2 I cannot play a humble prohibition era flower shoppe owner scraping by during the holiday season? That sucks. :|

Jokiness aside, I try to play to a certain level of morals in some games(even those kinds), and like having more freedom of choice in what ways I can resolve quests/etc. Still, I like mafia themed media, so I might still give it a try some day.
low rated
GamezRanker:
Well, I don't know, I've only watched let's plays of Mafia 1/2, not played them myself. But quite apart from the character being unlikable, Mafia 2 just seemed like a dumb game tbh, you do nothing but gun down waves of enemies, with some pretty stupid cover mechanics. Seemed like very unimaginative gameplay. And if you kill dozens of policemen or civilians, that's just totally immersion-breaking for me, because in reality you would have become public enemy Nr.1 for such crimes and been hunted down mercilessly.
So imo in games about the Mafia you should a) have more varied gameplay than just gun battles, and b) be violent mostly towards other gangsters (or maybe victims of extortion etc.), and try to avoid direct conflicts with cops, for the sake of immersion.
high rated
morolf: I don't know, the idea of playing a Mafioso just doesn't appeal to me at all. And from what I've seen and read, the protagonist in Mafia 2 just is an unlikable jerk who I couldn't identify with at all (iirc the protagonist in the first game is more of a tragic character, who has some scruples and embarks on a life of crime almost by accident...and in the end he is killed by the thuggish protagonists of Mafia 2 who don't have such scruples...).

Anyway, people will think I'm overly moralistic, but the thought of playing a violent career criminal just doesn't appeal to me (and I've watched let's plays of Mafia II, you kill dozens of people, and not just gangsters, but also policemen, or even innocent civilians), feels kind of offensive to me. Especially when you don't really have a choice about the level of violence you employ.
Given just a couple of your past posts on this very thread, I think anybody sane would think you have a broken compass.
morolf: Yesterday I was pestered by some youth near the railway station who wanted money from me. He only stopped following me when I shouted at him "Fuck off or I'll punch you in the face you asshole".
Aggressive begging should be prohibited, people who do that kind of thing should be sent to work houses like in 19th century Britain.
morolf: Well, I disagree, imo people who break masking rules should get the severest punishment imaginable. Something like being sent to a penal colony in the tropics for 25 years or so. One could lease a part of French Guyana for that.
If you don't see the problem with those posts, then nobody can help you.
Post edited September 02, 2021 by Sachys
low rated
morolf: Seemed like very unimaginative gameplay.
Eh, i've seen/played worse.

As for unrealistic game mechanics/plot/etc: if some games were more realistic i'm guessing not many would play them

That said, I do like some variation in gameplay, and I also think stealth/etc should be options at hand in a number of games(as alternate means to complete objectives).

=======

Post 13937: Given just a couple of your past posts on this very thread, I think anybody sane would think you have a broken compass.

If you don't see the problem with those posts, then nobody can help you.
Dear sir, as you likely well know, virtue signaling is to be done on the proper sites only. Such sites would include(but are not limited to) the following: twitter/reddit/facebook

If you would be so kind as to take such moralizing there, t'would be much appreciated.

*tips monocle covered hat*

(also if you took those posts of Morolf's seriously, then I have one more thing to say: thanks for the chuckle)