It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm stuck on the final boss! Difficulty level - insane. Dropping it down to hard doesn't make any significant difference unfortunately. :(
Attachments:
Post edited November 21, 2019 by Sarafan
Base coming along nicely
Attachments:
base.jpg (368 Kb)
farms.jpg (307 Kb)
Post edited November 22, 2019 by Matewis
If I haven't died a dozen times in Sunless Sea so far, then I will soon. The game is surprisingly addictive, but I think the fatigue of repeatedly starting over and losing an untold amount of time and progress is already setting in. This latest death was particularly ridiculous. My ship was trying to evade a Bound-Shark, but in doing so, it accidentally brushed against the coast of a nearby island. I'm not sure if this a bug or a design choice, but it seems like colliding with land will cause the ship to either slow down to a crawl or be unable to move for half a minute. The latter happened twice already, although I wasn't being pursued the first time around. Oddly enough, you can make your ship rotate 180 degrees while it's immobile. Once I could move again, the Bound-Shark had already done considerable damage to my hull. And if that wasn't enough, an Angler Crab joined in on the attack. This game is sadistic.
Attachments:
lanipcga: If I haven't died a dozen times in Sunless Sea so far, then I will soon. The game is surprisingly addictive, but I think the fatigue of repeatedly starting over and losing an untold amount of time and progress is already setting in. This latest death was particularly ridiculous. My ship was trying to evade a Bound-Shark, but in doing so, it accidentally brushed against the coast of a nearby island. I'm not sure if this a bug or a design choice, but it seems like colliding with land will cause the ship to either slow down to a crawl or be unable to move for half a minute. The latter happened twice already, although I wasn't being pursued the first time around. Oddly enough, you can make your ship rotate 180 degrees while it's immobile. Once I could move again, the Bound-Shark had already done considerable damage to my hull. And if that wasn't enough, an Angler Crab joined in on the attack. This game is sadistic.
Sunless sea is absolutely brutal. I similarly started to tire after a while having to start over so many times. Which a shame because the writing is the best I've ever seen in a game, and it feels like you cheapen it by just skipping over it again and again because of the number of restarts.
Thankfully I've forgotten enough of the game in the years since I last tried it that the writing will feel fresh again, but not enough to forget the mechanics and some of the pitfalls. So I think I will be vastly more capable on my next attempt, and might manage to finish it with just 1 or 2 deaths. Which is ok, since a lot of the island stories have different outcomes and if you get far enough you can leave some very nice heirloom to make your 2nd run easier.

And yeah, those sharks were bad news I remember. I learned to keep my distance :P The biggest enemy I could successfully take on were those lifebergs. The rocks and icebergs towards the north have small enough 'passages' into which you can maneuver yourself so that the lifebergs can't get to you, but you can still shoot at them. Pretty nifty way to get some great loot :)
2nd world is going a lot better than my first

- laying the foundation for a new base
- base as it looks now, while going for the cozy and homely feeling
- pig king being generous with gold for trinkets I discovered in the desert
- burning a small forest for some charcoal, with an impressed pig companion looking on
- finally built a beefalo pen
Attachments:
base.jpg (438 Kb)
pig_king.jpg (285 Kb)
fire.jpg (431 Kb)
The Tourist Trap... aka Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Thank god for forced VSYNC or there'd be screen tearing all day long. Back to evading fugly fishfolk. ;)
Attachments:
lovely.jpg (134 Kb)
Matewis: Sunless sea is absolutely brutal. I similarly started to tire after a while having to start over so many times. Which a shame because the writing is the best I've ever seen in a game, and it feels like you cheapen it by just skipping over it again and again because of the number of restarts.
Thankfully I've forgotten enough of the game in the years since I last tried it that the writing will feel fresh again, but not enough to forget the mechanics and some of the pitfalls. So I think I will be vastly more capable on my next attempt, and might manage to finish it with just 1 or 2 deaths. Which is ok, since a lot of the island stories have different outcomes and if you get far enough you can leave some very nice heirloom to make your 2nd run easier.

And yeah, those sharks were bad news I remember. I learned to keep my distance :P The biggest enemy I could successfully take on were those lifebergs. The rocks and icebergs towards the north have small enough 'passages' into which you can maneuver yourself so that the lifebergs can't get to you, but you can still shoot at them. Pretty nifty way to get some great loot :)
It's an enormous comfort to know that you and many other players know where I'm coming from. I have to give the developer some props for keeping my interest after this many restarts, and yet, they're a also a cruel bunch. I can just picture them cackling with perverse glee as they programmed each disastrous RNG event. I swear, it's only a matter of time before every inch of the Unterzee gets filled with the bloated corpses of my poor captains.

Also, I just discovered something. When your ship runs aground, if you pause and minimize the game for a few seconds, you can resume commandeering the ship when you unpause. This screams "bug" to me, but I'm really not sure. So much of this game is morbidly esoteric.
lanipcga: It's an enormous comfort to know that you and many other players know where I'm coming from. I have to give the developer some props for keeping my interest after this many restarts, and yet, they're a also a cruel bunch. I can just picture them cackling with perverse glee as they programmed each disastrous RNG event. I swear, it's only a matter of time before every inch of the Unterzee gets filled with the bloated corpses of my poor captains.

Also, I just discovered something. When your ship runs aground, if you pause and minimize the game for a few seconds, you can resume commandeering the ship when you unpause. This screams "bug" to me, but I'm really not sure. So much of this game is morbidly esoteric.
All this talk is really putting me in the mood to install it again :) I just can't decide if I should get Zubmariner as well. Seems like it expands the existing underzee world as opposed to being an entirely new game.

edit: by the way if you like the incredibly creepy top-down atmosphere then you'll probably love Darkwood. It's is similarly brutal (and even more stressful!), but you can't die on the default difficulty, so the game is way easier to finish.
Post edited November 23, 2019 by Matewis
lanipcga: It's an enormous comfort to know that you and many other players know where I'm coming from. I have to give the developer some props for keeping my interest after this many restarts, and yet, they're a also a cruel bunch. I can just picture them cackling with perverse glee as they programmed each disastrous RNG event. I swear, it's only a matter of time before every inch of the Unterzee gets filled with the bloated corpses of my poor captains.

Matewis: All this talk is really putting me in the mood to install it again :) I just can't decide if I should get Zubmariner as well. Seems like it expands the existing underzee world as opposed to being an entirely new game.
I would recommend Zubmariner because it makes it easier to earn money.
viperfdl: I would recommend Zubmariner because it makes it easier to earn money.
That's very good to know thanks - that was one part that felt a teeny bit too grind-ey for me. As long as it isn't too easy though: part of the appeal for me is how brutally difficult the game is.
- penguins got into my base
- trapped a varg, which turned out to be a very bad idea
- using bigfoot's stomp to clear a planted forest
Attachments:
getout.jpg (364 Kb)
varg.jpg (419 Kb)
bigfoot1.jpg (456 Kb)
bigfoot2.jpg (482 Kb)
I was ecstatic when I finally defeated my first Angler Crab, and then I got eaten by an Albino Moray an hour later. I suppose it's my fault for being greedy, but there was a growing demand for Hunting Trophies...

For a two-day long game to end like that, I'm amazed I didn't smash my keyboard and ragequit. For that matter, why am I already sending a new captain on port runs? Either AOE2 mellowed me out or Sunless Sea is secretly a dangerous narcotic. How'd it get past the Revenue Men?
Attachments:
Amusing myself in Starbound! The funny things npc's say. Saw eyeballs on trees. Spent more time farming carrots than engaging in battle. Died many times tryinig to defeat Dreadwig, the penguin in a flying saucer. Then, I met a merchant who sold me a rocket launcher... Will I win the next round?
Attachments:
Playing Dishonored for the third time. Planning to play through the game and then the dlc and then on to Dishonored 2 on PS4.
Attachments:
Command & Conquer

Original - one and truly. I think its my 6th playthrough since i first played it...around 96.
Of course, planning to go through both campaigns and Covert Operation missions and Jurassic Funpark too .

Nah, and no. I dont care about upcoming remasters. Games are meant to be played in original form ;)
Attachments:
cnc_shot1.png (473 Kb)
cnc_shot2.png (103 Kb)
cnc_shot3.jpg (465 Kb)