It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We all have a soft spot for excellent games provided to us by Paradox Interactive – absolute titans of the strategy genre, who are responsible for thousands of hours that we’ve spent having fun in their titles.

That’s why it is an absolute pleasure that 4 Paradox games (with 3 of them being beloved classics) are joining our catalog today with awesome Summer Sale discounts! Next adventures await you in: Crusader Kings II, Knights of Honor, Arsenal of Democracy, and Academia: School Simulator. Let’s take a look at them.

Pssst! Come join us on our Twitch Channel on June 14th (Today) at 7 PM UTC to see DarkSaber2k tackle Crusader Kings II and on June 17th (Saturday) at 1 AM UTC to help Lovelust in Academia: School Simulator. See you in the chat!

Crusader Kings II (available to grab for free)
Historical, medieval grand strategy that captured the hearts of players all over the world since its initial release in 2012. Become a ruler of a medieval dynasty, engaging in politics, warfare, and diplomacy. With its deep gameplay mechanics, character-driven storytelling, historical authenticity, and open-ended nature, it offers a unique and immersive experience in shaping the course of history.

Moreover, 31 of the game’s DLCs are also now available on GOG, all with -50% Summer Sale discounts (and -66% for Crusader Kings II Tales of Treachery e-book).

And if you’d like to go with the bigger packages, you’ll also find Dynasty Starter Pack (-55%), Royal Collection (-58%), Imperial Collection (-60%) with their discounts available throughout the whole Summer Sale.

Find all the DLCs, packs, as well as other discounted Paradox Interactive games HERE.

Knights of Honor (-75%)
2005’s RTS masterpiece known for its immersive gameplay and historical setting. You lead a medieval kingdom, making strategic decisions to expand your influence through diplomacy and warfare. The game offers a blend of real-time and grand strategy elements, allowing you to manage your economy, engage in battles, and navigate diplomatic relationships. Its historical accuracy, strategic depth, and diverse playstyles make it a compelling choice for every strategy enthusiast.

Arsenal of Democracy (-75%)
Now with this historical strategy we are shifting into the era of World War II. Taking place in 1936-64, Arsenal of Democracy lets you play as any nation during WW2, complete with detailed models for economics, diplomacy, research, and intelligence. Historical accuracy, complex gameplay mechanics, and the ability to control and shape the outcome of the war will let you immerse yourself while rewriting history and experiencing the challenges of the world’s most influential military conflict.

Academia: School Simulator (-40%)
Unleash your creativity in this managerial tycoon game. Design and manage your own school with freedom to customize and build a functioning educational institution. Construct classrooms, hire staff, and oversee daily operations. You can expect strategic challenges, personalization options, and a sandbox mode for endless creativity. An immersive experience of building and managing a school while nurturing student success.

These Paradox Interactive titles could be crown jewels to the strategic side of your gaming library. Make full use of their discounts, check out all the Paradox deals HERE, and browse through more than 5400 bargains packed within Summer Sale. Enjoy!
Trooper1270: Purchased Knights of Honor yesterday, and decided to give it a go today. Going through the tutorial, I found out that I can't complete or pass the Royal Dynasty part of said tutorial when it asks to click the 'Royal Dynasty' button on the main interface. All you receive in response is either "You can't access that at this time" or "Do you really want to quit" <-- Both paraphrased (as I can't remember the exact wording), then it promptly exits back to the main menu. Doing a search, the Steam version appears to have the same problem...
I finished the tutorial yesterday. It worked fine for me, just a tour to inform you about the features, no real gameplay. The tutorial is heavliy linear and scripted. You need to press what the tutorial wants to be pressed or it does not advance.
Magnitus: I guess I'll be waiting for a ~90% discount on that one as it is a big ask for one game :P.
As weird as it may seem, apparently the "imperial edition" has a bigger discount on GOG than it ever had on steam.
Despite the release of Crusader Kings 3 (and that CK2 original edition is 11 years old already) I think that the complete DLC bundle never went beyond a 50% discount on steam.
Magnitus: I guess I'll be waiting for a ~90% discount on that one as it is a big ask for one game :P.
karnak1: As weird as it may seem, apparently the "imperial edition" has a bigger discount on GOG than it ever had on steam.
Despite the release of Crusader Kings 3 (and that CK2 original edition is 11 years old already) I think that the complete DLC bundle never went beyond a 50% discount on steam.
i think thats about right. some dlc might have gone 60% or more off, but not the bundle.

even picking up the major dlc through humble bundles over a few years, the discount for the complete edition there looks like a bad deal compared to here now.

its too hot for me to make sense. :/
Ueber: I've added a wishlist entry for CK2 Multiplayer:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/crusader_kings_2_multiplayer

please vote for multiplayer to be added.

Why should we pay the same prices for DLCs for a cut down version of CK 2, whereas other stores include multiplayer?

I don't spend a dime on those DLCs without multiplayer.
MoreLinuxonGOG: I've also added a wishlist entry for Mac and Linux support:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/crusader_kings_ii_for_mac_and_linux

If you want Mac and Linux support added to Crusader Kings II, you should vote.

The lack of Mac and Linux native versions that are available on Steam ruins the whole Crusader Kings II release for me. It's not something I'll ever get over if the decision isn't changed. I'll likely be refunding my Imperial Collection purchase if they don't add the Mac and Linux support after the fact, like other GOG games have. I shouldn't have to resort to piracy to get a DRM-free Linux native version of the game! Shame on you, GOG and Paradox Interactive!
Not Linux or Mac user, but you got my vote.
ConsulCaesar: Shouldn't there be a warning that there is no multiplayer on the game page? :/
Maybe it will be added later? I doubt it, but a man can hope.
Post edited June 16, 2023 by Syphon72
No multiplayer should be mentioned on the CK2 page, and it would have been nice if the discount on the DLC was nicer to compensate, at least. But imo (and I knooow some will disagree ;) ) having the game here with no multiplayer is better than not having it at all. Maybe GOG should have used some of their savings/profit to pay for the porting themselves, I dunno; maybe they're wary of setting that precedent.
tfishell: Maybe GOG should have used some of their savings/profit to pay for the porting themselves, I dunno; maybe they're wary of setting that precedent.
Maybe it will happen if enough dlc are sold?! We are looking at a free to play base game with a hyper dlc model AND one that also has a subscription service available on that other platform for access to the DLC.

Additionally (and I'm not sure if this has even been touched upon in this thread yet) that old "GOG users are all pirates!" thinking may come into play as with the multiplayer, anybody can make use of the DLC features during that game if the host has it.

...and lastly - it is a MP functionality reliant on Steamworks as I know. Heavily ingrained as I understand so could be a fair bit of work to flip to crossplatform.

Tell me if I'm wrong on that last one anybody.
Post edited June 16, 2023 by Sachys
Gudadantza: I finished the tutorial yesterday. It worked fine for me, just a tour to inform you about the features, no real gameplay. The tutorial is heavliy linear and scripted. You need to press what the tutorial wants to be pressed or it does not advance.
I have the HD patch installed, which I have found (and as the tutorial menu item states) that it is that that causes the bug. All the green arrows shown in the tutorial are all out of line with the interface of the game, because the resolution has been changed by said HD patch. Saying that, I did manage to complete the tutorial, but it was a waste of time, as it did not function as it was meant to. I may remove the patch, to familiarise myself with the games UI, then re-install the patch to play the actual game. Thanks for confirming that the tutorial actually does work and can be completed. :)
I've just bought Academia: School Simulator and it does contain overlay support, cloud saves and achievements, despite of lack of such information on a game product card.
karnak1: As weird as it may seem, apparently the "imperial edition" has a bigger discount on GOG than it ever had on steam.
Well, here's my take on it:
- I wouldn't be prepared to spend that kind of money on a game unless it totally rocked my world to its fundations (and would have vasts amounts of content)
- If I buy some DLCs, I can't substract them from the price of the bundle and if I buy them "a la carte", it will probably be more expansive than the bundle
- The base game is free (which is definitely the right move for them to make) so I guess I can try it out, but it would feel like I'm spending time on the base offering of a freemium product and my time is limited (in my case, time is money so to speak)

So see, it's kind of a tough nut to crack for someone in my situation (except maybe just not go there).

But I'm sure there are people with lots of time who are willing to be extremely passionate about that ONE game and invest crazy amounts of time and money into it. I'm just not that audience.

tfishell: No multiplayer should be mentioned on the CK2 page, and it would have been nice if the discount on the DLC was nicer to compensate, at least. But imo (and I knooow some will disagree ;) ) having the game here with no multiplayer is better than not having it at all. Maybe GOG should have used some of their savings/profit to pay for the porting themselves, I dunno; maybe they're wary of setting that precedent.
That too. Thanks for mentioning it. Now, I'm definitely expecting a much steeper discount than what they have right now. If they are willing to provide a self-hosted server that I can run on my LAN, I'll reconsider.
Post edited June 16, 2023 by Magnitus
Magnitus: Well, here's my take on it:
- I wouldn't be prepared to spend that kind of money on a game unless it totally rocked my world to its fundations (and would have vasts amounts of content)
- If I buy some DLCs, I can't substract them from the price of the bundle and if I buy them "a la carte", it will probably be more expansive than the bundle
- The base game is free (which is definitely the right move for them to make) so I guess I can try it out, but it would feel like I'm spending time on the base offering of a freemium product and my time is limited (in my case, time is money so to speak)
GOG could potentially introduce PDX's subscription model to its shop. Considering their plans to sell Multiplayer-Online titles in the near future, such a move wouldn't be a huge leap, especially since both are likely to be exclusive to and made available only for Galaxy users.
schmoemi: AoD was Darkest Hour's predecessor and the first "HoI2-on-steroids" release. It still has the old HoI2 map and covers (roughly) the same timeframe as the Original HoI2+Armageddon (i.e. start is also the 1930s, but it extends further into the Cold War era), while Darkest Hour includes the WWI timeframe as well, with the earliest start in the late 1800s...

I like it more because its closer to the Original HoI2. And for the WWI era there are the Victorias anyways...
Gudadantza: Thanks for the response.
I own Darkest Hour and one of their advantages over vanilla was its polished engine, faster, prettier and widescreen from Scratch. How is AoD in that regard?
No prob. As I do not own a copy of Darkest Hour, I cannot give a statement on the relative performance. What I can say is that AoD supports different screen resolutions instead of a fixed one as in the Original HoI2.
Provide_A_Username: Another fish taken, thanks. Some have asked already, but let me ask this way:
Within the base game only, what percentage of the full game experience (base + all the DLCs) do you play?
Sachys: Cant really summerise as a %.
Base game covers only western crusader nations and theres no special features such as skills focus, secret societies, religious choices and council.
Sounds enough to me, time to play it then. Thank you!
Sachys: Cant really summerise as a %.
Base game covers only western crusader nations and theres no special features such as skills focus, secret societies, religious choices and council.
Provide_A_Username: Sounds enough to me, time to play it then. Thank you!
yeah the base game is free, dive in - if it fits figure out HOW / WHAT you want to play it as i suppose.
CK2 - there was a period when some of the DLC were on giveaway for short times. Combined with the fact that Steam has bundle prices that don't include the price of DLC already owned, and also that the bundles themselves sometimes have a modest discount on top of the DLC discounts (individual DLC discounts used to be 75% sometimes for some DLC, but now only 50% across the board) then it was possible to build up a decent amount of DLC without paying through the nose if you were prepared to wait.

Paradox weren't even crazily greedy back then, just moderately greedy. Prices have gone up a lot since then and quality has stayed the same or even gone down for some stuff.
Post edited June 17, 2023 by lupineshadow