It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We all have a soft spot for excellent games provided to us by Paradox Interactive – absolute titans of the strategy genre, who are responsible for thousands of hours that we’ve spent having fun in their titles.

That’s why it is an absolute pleasure that 4 Paradox games (with 3 of them being beloved classics) are joining our catalog today with awesome Summer Sale discounts! Next adventures await you in: Crusader Kings II, Knights of Honor, Arsenal of Democracy, and Academia: School Simulator. Let’s take a look at them.

Pssst! Come join us on our Twitch Channel on June 14th (Today) at 7 PM UTC to see DarkSaber2k tackle Crusader Kings II and on June 17th (Saturday) at 1 AM UTC to help Lovelust in Academia: School Simulator. See you in the chat!

Crusader Kings II (available to grab for free)
Historical, medieval grand strategy that captured the hearts of players all over the world since its initial release in 2012. Become a ruler of a medieval dynasty, engaging in politics, warfare, and diplomacy. With its deep gameplay mechanics, character-driven storytelling, historical authenticity, and open-ended nature, it offers a unique and immersive experience in shaping the course of history.

Moreover, 31 of the game’s DLCs are also now available on GOG, all with -50% Summer Sale discounts (and -66% for Crusader Kings II Tales of Treachery e-book).

And if you’d like to go with the bigger packages, you’ll also find Dynasty Starter Pack (-55%), Royal Collection (-58%), Imperial Collection (-60%) with their discounts available throughout the whole Summer Sale.

Find all the DLCs, packs, as well as other discounted Paradox Interactive games HERE.

Knights of Honor (-75%)
2005’s RTS masterpiece known for its immersive gameplay and historical setting. You lead a medieval kingdom, making strategic decisions to expand your influence through diplomacy and warfare. The game offers a blend of real-time and grand strategy elements, allowing you to manage your economy, engage in battles, and navigate diplomatic relationships. Its historical accuracy, strategic depth, and diverse playstyles make it a compelling choice for every strategy enthusiast.

Arsenal of Democracy (-75%)
Now with this historical strategy we are shifting into the era of World War II. Taking place in 1936-64, Arsenal of Democracy lets you play as any nation during WW2, complete with detailed models for economics, diplomacy, research, and intelligence. Historical accuracy, complex gameplay mechanics, and the ability to control and shape the outcome of the war will let you immerse yourself while rewriting history and experiencing the challenges of the world’s most influential military conflict.

Academia: School Simulator (-40%)
Unleash your creativity in this managerial tycoon game. Design and manage your own school with freedom to customize and build a functioning educational institution. Construct classrooms, hire staff, and oversee daily operations. You can expect strategic challenges, personalization options, and a sandbox mode for endless creativity. An immersive experience of building and managing a school while nurturing student success.

These Paradox Interactive titles could be crown jewels to the strategic side of your gaming library. Make full use of their discounts, check out all the Paradox deals HERE, and browse through more than 5400 bargains packed within Summer Sale. Enjoy!
Thanks for Knights Of Honor. Glad to have the og here finally
Ixamyakxim: QUESTION - can anyone recommend DLCs? Are there any that are "must play" or that add features / UI improvements etc to the base game that when they came out, people just HAD to have them?
lupineshadow: I think someone asked that previously in this thread.
You know it's funny I saw the first post but totally missed the one right below it by lupine:

Gudadantza: Some or them are more "a must" than others. For example one of the first big expansions added the muslim cultures as playable. Others added the peculiar government system of venetian republic in middle ages etc... If there are something more must have than others, they are the DLC expansions and they should be added depending the user's preference and discretion. That is how it works and how it was intended.
lupineshadow: Strongly recommended:
Legacy of Rome (for retinues), Old Gods (for 867 start, and interesting pagan mechanics), Sons of Abraham (for Abrahamic religion mechanics), Way of Life (for character progression mechanics and education mechanics and events)

Recommended:
Holy Fury (for improved crusades and a lot of smaller but well done mechanics improvements), Sword of Islam (for playing as Muslim characters, not as interesting as Christian or pagan characters imo), Conclave (for council mechanics which make the game a bit more challenging in a good way)
In game context, what are retinues and what (very brief - you guys don't have to describe the whole game in detail!) are the religious mechanics?
Ixamyakxim: In game context, what are retinues and what (very brief - you guys don't have to describe the whole game in detail!) are the religious mechanics?
Retinues are standing armies - you can invest in armies that remain at the same size independent of how many holdings you control. Also you can choose what kinds of troops make up those retinues and exploit that to trigger certain battle strategies.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Retinues

The religious mechanics, it's hard to explain without playing the game but the wiki above is a great resource and actually playing the game you will get the idea. The wiki also has feature lists for each DLC.
lupineshadow: I think someone asked that previously in this thread.
Ixamyakxim: You know it's funny I saw the first post but totally missed the one right below it by lupine:

lupineshadow: Strongly recommended:
Legacy of Rome (for retinues), Old Gods (for 867 start, and interesting pagan mechanics), Sons of Abraham (for Abrahamic religion mechanics), Way of Life (for character progression mechanics and education mechanics and events)

Recommended:
Holy Fury (for improved crusades and a lot of smaller but well done mechanics improvements), Sword of Islam (for playing as Muslim characters, not as interesting as Christian or pagan characters imo), Conclave (for council mechanics which make the game a bit more challenging in a good way)
Ixamyakxim: In game context, what are retinues and what (very brief - you guys don't have to describe the whole game in detail!) are the religious mechanics?
This might help: https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-best-dlcs
A good start point regarding DLCs are Charlemagne and The Old Gods, i makes the game start in previous dates and change how the game works for the Charolingian stuff and the viking cultures. Also Way of life adds more RPG to a game that was very RPG by design

EDIT: Also Sword of Islam to play wih the muslim cultures

Legacy or Rome and The Republic for the enrichment of Bizantium and Venetians respectively. It adds not only flavour but gameplay mechanics if you want to play the game with those nation/Empire. And then Horse Lords or Jade Empire makes parts of the far east or Central Asia much more relevant and characteristic gameplay wise.

For every main DLC they used to release also minor DLCs adding content for those specific main DLCs like troop graphics, faces music etc...
Post edited June 14, 2023 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: About Arsenal of Democracy. Can anyone tell me the main differences between this and Darkest Hour? Could it be said that are redundant? Different enough?
AoD was Darkest Hour's predecessor and the first "HoI2-on-steroids" release. It still has the old HoI2 map and covers (roughly) the same timeframe as the Original HoI2+Armageddon (i.e. start is also the 1930s, but it extends further into the Cold War era), while Darkest Hour includes the WWI timeframe as well, with the earliest start in the late 1800s...

I like it more because its closer to the Original HoI2. And for the WWI era there are the Victorias anyways...
Post edited June 14, 2023 by schmoemi
I guess Crusader Kings 2 can be called a good old game now? Those eye-watering DLC prices though... Well, at least I'll be able to see what the base game is like. Now that's how you do demos! ;)

It's good to see Knights of Honor here finally. Will be picking that one up for sure.

Still no Cities: Skylines. =/ So maybe once CS2 releases elsewhere? *shrug*
Gudadantza: The Republic for the enrichment of Bizantium and Venetians respectively.
Playing as Venice with the way of life DLC is great - very simple, straightforward forcus on your character and dynasty if you want. Murder / plot your way to power and have very little issues in terms of money.

My last playthrough I ended up founding the Holy Roman Empire (on ironman no less) and conquering all of europe, most of the steppe, north africa and i think even parts of india.

Exported it to EU4 but ive not yet managed to pick it back up as its a massively complex start.
P-E-S: Now that's how you do demos! ;)
WHOLE lotta playtime just on the base game alone if you get into it.
Post edited June 14, 2023 by Sachys
Another fish taken, thanks. Some have asked already, but let me ask this way:
Within the base game only, what percentage of the full game experience (base + all the DLCs) do you play?
Provide_A_Username: Another fish taken, thanks. Some have asked already, but let me ask this way:
Within the base game only, what percentage of the full game experience (base + all the DLCs) do you play?
Cant really summerise as a %.
Base game covers only western crusader nations and theres no special features such as skills focus, secret societies, religious choices and council.
Seems to me to be a game trapped behind a paid wall of DLC, no thanks GOG.
Gudadantza: About Arsenal of Democracy. Can anyone tell me the main differences between this and Darkest Hour? Could it be said that are redundant? Different enough?
schmoemi: AoD was Darkest Hour's predecessor and the first "HoI2-on-steroids" release. It still has the old HoI2 map and covers (roughly) the same timeframe as the Original HoI2+Armageddon (i.e. start is also the 1930s, but it extends further into the Cold War era), while Darkest Hour includes the WWI timeframe as well, with the earliest start in the late 1800s...

I like it more because its closer to the Original HoI2. And for the WWI era there are the Victorias anyways...
Thanks for the response.
I own Darkest Hour and one of their advantages over vanilla was its polished engine, faster, prettier and widescreen from Scratch. How is AoD in that regard?
Things that I read in the Paradox forums commented things like the superior/more realistic supply and economic system in AoD but less polished and maybe slower.
The matter is that they were pretty old messages (10 years) when the games were still mods and/or still in patching process, in development. Do you know if something changed in current state for both already standalone titles?

Thanks
Provide_A_Username: Another fish taken, thanks. Some have asked already, but let me ask this way:
Sachys: Cant really summerise as a %.
Base game covers only western crusader nations and theres no special features such as skills focus, secret societies, religious choices and council.
In fact it can be said that the vanilla game cover what the proper title says. Crusader kings, christian medieval european nations

Later they expanded it via DLC but the map always was more limited an focused than Europa Universalis.

My recomendation is spending your starting 50 or 100 amount of hours :p playing a couple o three long campaigns. Then expand the game.
Post edited June 14, 2023 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: In fact it can be said that the vanilla game cover what the proper title says. Crusader kings
true
MrZeno: Crusader Kings II has had the multiplayer removed, what is it with GOG accepting cut-down versions of games. I'm really beginning to rethink my aversion to Steam because this is happening way too often.
Have you tested it by yourself?
Really happy to finally see Knights of Honor here !!!
Are there people who know a way to have a widescreen version of the game with GOG's version ?