It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: Sorry, I cannot help you here (don't own the game) but if you don't mind, I am curious. If you wanted to have the game DRM-free why didn't yopu just chose a GOG key if you had the choice?
DoubleOMurfy: I considered it heavily but in the end I chose a steam key. What exactly was I thinking, I'm not sure anymore. Perhaps I was relying on the steam version working without the client like Sunless Sea does, But I haven't managed to get it to work yet.
Did you also try the steam_appid.txt trick?
MarkoH01: Did you also try the steam_appid.txt trick?
The one were you create a text file that contains the games steam ID? Yeah, I tried that too but I got the same result.
Geralt_of_Rivia: Satellite Reign works out of the box on Windows. The game is currently free through the Humble Store.
Hmm. Nice. I was just looking at the list and was thinking, it would be nice were this game client free on Windows too (It only shows Linux on the wiki).

I'm sure it will be updated soon.
Just got a newsletter for this game
The Painscreek Killings. Looks really interestig for me. Does anybody know if it runs without Steam?
Here's a new batch of Steam Linux games I've tried:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New to the Wiki

· Ballistick: Works out of the box. It also downloads the Windows build unnecessarily.

· Catlateral Damage: Works out of the box.

· Commander Cool 2: Works out of the box.

· Doodle Devil: Works out of the box. It doesn't require the Steam client, but it does require an internet connection in order to work. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not.

· Dungeon Gambit Boy: Works out of the box.

· FOTONICA: Works out of the box.

· Glitchspace: Works out of the box.

· Grass Cutter: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (589420).

· Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick'.

· Hue: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (383270).

· Jalopy: Couldn't get it to work with Wine, but it did work like a charm on Linux with an appropriate Linux Unity runtime (v4.5.3f3) and some Steam plugin libraries.

· Moon Hunters: Works out of the box.

· Ticket to Ride: Works out of the box.

Already in the Wiki, and confirmed for Linux

· Deponia Doomsday: Works out of the box. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not.

· Ravensword: Shadowlands: Works out of the box.

· Secret of the Magic Crystals: Works out of the box.

· The Long Dark: Works out of the box. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not. I had to run the 32bit binary; when using the 64bit one, the game freezes (heh) after a couple of seconds.

Already in the Wiki, and denied for Linux

· Gang Beasts: The game is no longer in Early Access, and it's now also available for Linux. I couldn't get the final version to run without Steam (see attached screenshot).

· SATAZIUS: The game is also available for Linux, but I couldn't get it to run without Steam.
Attachments:
You can play all versions of UT2004 via steam and don't need the 3369 patch at all.
I love this list but how do I know which of these games are good or at least ones that I'll like? Currently, I've been just clicking through them or checking them against sales but that's the only way I know of. I was just wondering whether there is another way is all. Really appreciate the list. Keep up the good work.
vidsgame: I love this list but how do I know which of these games are good or at least ones that I'll like? Currently, I've been just clicking through them or checking them against sales but that's the only way I know of. I was just wondering whether there is another way is all. Really appreciate the list. Keep up the good work.
Well that's the thing. This is an objective list about what games either do or don't work without use of the Steam client, nothing more. Telling you whether the games are "good" or not is a completely subjective affair best explored by the individual via reviews, videos, etc.

In other words, defining what's good is a completely different matter and if we were going by a combination of both metrics (what's drm-free there AND what's "good"), the contents of list would be constantly expanding and contracting based on the given contributor's preferences.
vidsgame: I love this list but how do I know which of these games are good or at least ones that I'll like? Currently, I've been just clicking through them or checking them against sales but that's the only way I know of. I was just wondering whether there is another way is all. Really appreciate the list. Keep up the good work.
Exceed20XX: Well that's the thing. This is an objective list about what games either do or don't work without use of the Steam client, nothing more. Telling you whether the games are "good" or not is a completely subjective affair best explored by the individual via reviews, videos, etc.

In other words, defining what's good is a completely different matter and if we were going by a combination of both metrics (what's drm-free there AND what's "good"), the contents of list would be constantly expanding and contracting based on the given contributor's preferences.
True. Maybe some "genre-tags" would help to at least give them some sort of sorting. Just a suggestion but mainly I was just trying to see how people sort through this list when the games go on sale.
I'll admit this list does feel like it relies more on familiarity from us as contributors. It's a "raw information" sort of goal, which I've been fine with.

That said, I have toyed with the notion of doing a more developed resource for this kind of information but it's something I'd need a lot of time and focus for to really sit down and tackle if it's to ever happen. (I originally used a topic like this for some database practice, with several tags and such included.)
Exceed20XX: I'll admit this list does feel like it relies more on familiarity from us as contributors. It's a "raw information" sort of goal, which I've been fine with.

That said, I have toyed with the notion of doing a more developed resource for this kind of information but it's something I'd need a lot of time and focus for to really sit down and tackle if it's to ever happen. (I originally used a topic like this for some database practice, with several tags and such included.)
I could help in any way I can. I have this list bookmarked but what I mainly do is just click on a name and cross my fingers as to what kind of game it is, that or in the case of Styx or A Hat in Time, both of which I'm familiar with, I look for a sale and double check the list.
vidsgame: I could help in any way I can. I have this list bookmarked but what I mainly do is just click on a name and cross my fingers as to what kind of game it is, that or in the case of Styx or A Hat in Time, both of which I'm familiar with, I look for a sale and double check the list.
If it's any help to you, what I did is: at first I combed the whole wiki (i.e. I opened all the links there) and made a note of the games I was interested in. After that, I just follow this thread and I check the new games contributed by others (and I make a note of the ones that I'm interested in).

PS: As a bonus, here are a few more Linux Steam games I've tested. :P

New to the Wiki

· HIVESWAP: Act 1: Works out of the box. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, and it is needed for the game to work.

· NEXT JUMP: Shmup Tactics: Works out of the box.

· Shadwen: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (425210).

· Shutter: Couldn't get it to work with Wine, but it did work like a charm on Linux with an appropriate Linux Unity runtime (v4.6.4f1) and some Steam plugin libraries. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not.

· Sokobond: Works out of the box.

· Super Chibi Knight: Works out of the box, but it cannot save the game. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not. I also tried the Windows version on 32bit Wine set as Windows 7.

· The Last Door - Collector's Edition: It's now available for Linux as well, and it works out of the box.

· Trine Enchanted Edition: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (35700).

· Shadowrun Returns: Works almost out of the box (it cannot find a couple of libraries, so you need to manually preload them when executing the game).

· Sanctum 2: The Linux beta works alright without Steam, as stated in the Wiki, but the finished version doesn't.
Post edited April 26, 2018 by muntdefems
vidsgame: I could help in any way I can. I have this list bookmarked but what I mainly do is just click on a name and cross my fingers as to what kind of game it is, that or in the case of Styx or A Hat in Time, both of which I'm familiar with, I look for a sale and double check the list.
muntdefems: If it's any help to you, what I did is: at first I combed the whole wiki (i.e. I opened all the links there) and made a note of the games I was interested in. After that, I just follow this thread and I check the new games contributed by others (and I make a note of the ones that I'm interested in).

PS: As a bonus, here are a few more Linux Steam games I've tested. :P

New to the Wiki

· HIVESWAP: Act 1: Works out of the box. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, and it is needed for the game to work.

· NEXT JUMP: Shmup Tactics: Works out of the box.

· Shadwen: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (425210).

· Shutter: Couldn't get it to work with Wine, but it did work like a charm on Linux with an appropriate Linux Unity runtime (v4.6.4f1) and some Steam plugin libraries. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not.

· Sokobond: Works out of the box.

· Super Chibi Knight: Works out of the box, but it cannot save the game. Includes its own steam_appid.txt file, but it doesn't make any difference whether it's there or not. I also tried the Windows version on 32bit Wine set as Windows 7.

· The Last Door - Collector's Edition: It's now available for Linux as well, and it works out of the box.

· Trine Enchanted Edition: Needs the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (35700).

· Shadowrun Returns: Works almost out of the box (it cannot find a couple of libraries, so you need to manually preload them when executing the game).

· Sanctum 2: The Linux beta works alright without Steam, as stated in the Wiki, but the finished version doesn't.
Definitely. That's a great idea.
Exceed20XX: Well that's the thing. This is an objective list about what games either do or don't work without use of the Steam client, nothing more. Telling you whether the games are "good" or not is a completely subjective affair best explored by the individual via reviews, videos, etc.

vidsgame: True. Maybe some "genre-tags" would help to at least give them some sort of sorting. Just a suggestion but mainly I was just trying to see how people sort through this list when the games go on sale.
I would say this list works the other way around and it does at least for me. Meaning that whenever I see a game on Steam I am interested in and that is not available ob GOG or just too expensive here for my taste I'll check this list to see if it would be playable without Steam. At the moment I am looking at this list I already know what game I am looking for.
vidsgame: True. Maybe some "genre-tags" would help to at least give them some sort of sorting. Just a suggestion but mainly I was just trying to see how people sort through this list when the games go on sale.
MarkoH01: I would say this list works the other way around and it does at least for me. Meaning that whenever I see a game on Steam I am interested in and that is not available ob GOG or just too expensive here for my taste I'll check this list to see if it would be playable without Steam. At the moment I am looking at this list I already know what game I am looking for.
That makes a lot of sense. I have used it in that way before more than once.