It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deals so good, you won't want to fall asleep.
You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.
*This is probably not a good idea
**This is definitely not a good idea
***This is totally safe, though****
****NO IT'S NOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CRAZY PERSON
Post edited November 13, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
For those interested:

Final spoils:

Don't Starve - Picked this one up in the first round; I just happened to have to be off from work Wednesday, and checked to see what the discounted game was and lo and behold, I saw this one for an unprecedented GOG discount, so I jumped on it. It is also when I first became aware of this promotion.

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Picked this one up in the first round. It was on my wishlist, and the discount was just too much to ignore

Retro City Rampage - I would say this is one of my impulse buys from the second round (though I gave it some thought before it appeared). On the wishlist and I decided it was time to get it.

Jade Empire - This is another one of my impulse buys of a game from the wishlist. The discount helped plenty too.

The Lords of Midnight - Also on the wish list, but I was not sure I wanted it still. I have heard good things about it from a co-worker who played this game back in the day, and decided why not. By the time I decided I wanted it, I missed it in the second round, and this this was my first third round purchase.

Thunderscape - Another impulse purchase of a wishlisted game made in the third round. Reading the comments in the thread and the reviews convinced me to just go ahead and get it.

Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut - I had the opportunity to get this in round two, but passed even though it was on my wish list. I originally played this on the 360 as a rental, but was bummed out when I found out there were no English subtitles there. That may its priority as a purchase on GOG very low, sale only if at all (though I still considered it if for no other reason than the discount). After I passed, a forum member told me that the was indeed subtitles on this version so that made it desirable again. After that, it was my primary motivation (along with La Mulana) to stick out the third round. There were two or three occasions I could have missed this in round three but I was fortunate enough to be present when it appeared. Interestingly enough, as soon as I got it there was another forum posting by a different member that it did NOT have English subtitles XD. Oh well, it is another game removed from my list and at a much more acceptable price point than the retail price.

Wing Commander IV and Wing Commander Privateer - I always had trouble with flight sims for some reason. I think it is because for me it is hard to have accurate depth perception in these kinds of games, and in space there is a lack of physical points of reference for even the most basic maneuvers mentioned in the manuals. I can get by the simpler early missions, but the ones that require finesse much later? Forget it. Still, the series' plots have always interested me and thus the entire franchise was in my wishlist. I figure for the price point no harm in getting them.

Missed:
La Mulana - I did not have the chance to get this one (that I can recall) in either of the first two rounds. By the time it finally appeared in round three, I had already fallen asleep two games prior. This one was the other motivation I had for sticking through round three. Oh well - win some, lose some. May or may not get this before the next big sale (likely a Christmas sale) - it all depends on how much I can control my "gotta have it" feeling. :-p Had I gotten it, it is what I would be playing right now.

Gifted to others:
Anvil of Dawn
Ultima VII
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition

I enjoyed bringing happiness to some fellow GOGers - to those I have gifted the above games to, it was a pleasure putting a smile on your faces and contributing to the awesomeness that is the GOG community.
Let me brag a little :>

Games bought:

FEZ
Baldur's Gate 1
System Shock 2 (in fact I traded it for Baldur's Gate 2 :D)
Startopia
Don't Starve
Witcher 2

After that I was broke (no more funds on my card), but I managed to expand my shelf a little. Games grabbed for free:

Anodyne
Spellforce
Retro City Rampage

aaand...
JACK KEANE 2 - the legend amongst all!
B-)

And thanks to Belhelmel I got also TR1+2+3! :>

I wish I could grab some free time to play them all :>
Statgat: I began gathering statistics about this promotion halfway through second round. This unfortunately excludes that which bound this thread together. This first set is the end part of round 2. Included are:
name, total amount of copies, time taken to sell those copies and selling rate of those copies.

End of round 2
==============

Ultima® Underworld 1+2: 500 copies 0:01:20 17.3 copies/min (partial data)
FEZ: 500 copies 0:09:19 53.7 copies/min
Rise of the Triad: 200 copies 0:37:09 5.4 copies/min
Sword of the Stars: The Pit: 40 copies 0:00:00 0.0 copies/min (free)
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator: 400 copies 0:05:52 68.2 copies/min
Blackwell Bundle: 400 copies 0:13:40 29.3 copies/min
System Shock™ 2: 1000 copies 0:03:32 283.0 copies/min
Don't Starve: 800 copies 0:15:45 50.8 copies/min
Shadow Man: 40 copies 0:00:00 0.0 copies/min (free)
Sacred Gold: 200 copies 0:01:25 141.2 copies/min
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, The: 200 copies 0:03:13 62.2 copies/min
Shelter: 200 copies 0:01:57 102.6 copies/min
Assassin's Creed®: Director's Cut: 8 copies 0:00:00 0.0 copies/min (free)
Deus Ex™ GOTY Edition: 800 copies 0:03:07 256.7 copies/min
Torchlight: 200 copies 0:10:19 19.4 copies/min
Master of Orion 1+2: 600 copies 0:03:13 186.5 copies/min
Planescape: Torment: 1000 copies 0:03:09 317.5 copies/min
Rayman Origins: 400 copies 0:04:02 99.2 copies/min
Primordia: 400 copies 0:04:47 83.6 copies/min
Wing Commander ®: Privateer ™: 500 copies 0:06:10 81.1 copies/min
Lucius: 150 copies 0:09:48 15.3 copies/min
Baldur's Gate 2 Complete: 500 copies 0:01:08 441.2 copies/min
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, The: 40 copies 0:00:02 1200.0 copies/min (free)
Might and Magic® 6-pack: Limited Edition: 400 copies 0:04:18 93.0 copies/min
Book of Unwritten Tales, The: 400 copies 0:24:02 16.6 copies/min
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams: 140 copies 0:01:15 112.0 copies/min
Icewind Dale Complete: 600 copies 0:01:38 367.3 copies/min
POSTAL 2 Complete: 40 copies 0:00:02 1200.0 copies/min (free)
Wargame: European Escalation: 75 copies 0:02:02 36.9 copies/min
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident: 200 copies 0:01:19 151.9 copies/min
Strike Suit Zero: 200 copies 0:07:00 28.6 copies/min
AquaNox: 300 copies 0:13:31 22.2 copies/min
Space Colony HD: 400 copies 0:02:06 190.5 copies/min
King’s Bounty: Crossworlds GOTY: 200 copies 0:02:56 68.2 copies/min
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga: 500 copies 0:01:27 344.8 copies/min
Omerta: City of Gangsters (All DLCs included): 200 copies 0:23:06 8.7 copies/min
Megabyte Punch: 40 copies 0:00:02 1200.0 copies/min (free)
Beyond Good and Evil™: 400 copies 0:02:21 170.2 copies/min
La Mulana: 400 copies 0:02:50 141.2 copies/min
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition: 800 copies 0:01:49 440.4 copies/min
Resonance: 40 copies 0:10:35 3.8 copies/min (free)
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms + Expansion: 200 copies 0:01:19 151.9 copies/min
AquaNox 2: Revelation: 400 copies 0:05:23 74.3 copies/min
Might and Magic® 6-pack: Limited Edition: 8 copies 0:00:00 0.0 copies/min (free)
Two Worlds 2: Epic Edition: 300 copies 0:02:02 147.5 copies/min
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic: 600 copies 0:06:56 86.5 copies/min
Tales of Monkey Island: 400 copies 0:05:11 77.2 copies/min
Inquisitor: 400 copies 0:05:38 71.0 copies/min
Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded: 200 copies 0:06:47 29.5 copies/min
The Real Texas: 40 copies 0:00:02 1200.0 copies/min (free)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver: 500 copies 0:05:32 90.4 copies/min
Thief™ 3: Deadly Shadows: 400 copies 0:01:22 292.7 copies/min
Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings, The: 600 copies 0:05:37 106.8 copies/min
Evoland: 400 copies 0:02:38 151.9 copies/min
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident: 40 copies 0:00:02 1200.0 copies/min (free)
The Lords of Midnight: 300 copies 0:03:16 91.8 copies/min
Anodyne: 200 copies 0:19:26 10.3 copies/min
Startopia: 400 copies 0:01:52 214.3 copies/min

Totals (for partial data): 19465 copies, 5 hours 19 minutes, 61 copies/min
Interesting! I wonder what kind of statistics are GoG going to give us (as they intend, as far as I know). Sales speeds would be a very interesting thing to have from the whole duration of the promo.
LOL, i can't believe the topic is still going on.
In a few hours I'll be home, so I'll write about what i bought myself. It's a lot of stuff, in fact. I have let myself go a little bit because of the really good prices.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by Shendue
I've been too busy to post here for the last couple of days, but I do think this thread shouldn't die out just yet, and I definitely believe thanks are in order, so here goes (sorry, this might be on the long side):

First off, thanks to GOG.com for being awesome, definitely the main hub for good games, old and new, DRM-free and reasonably priced. I feel these guys respect me as a customer, and that is not something I can say about most other game vendors (or about most other vendors, anyway).

I greatly enjoyed this sale, although I can understand those that hated it for the right reasons (insomnia is not exactly a fun thing unless you can afford it). Unnerving as waiting for some games to sell off was, the thrill of catching good deals or a freebie made this a game in itself, and by catching some random freebies, I'll get to discover some games I'd never have even known about otherwise. If there were really people cheating to get the free games, big shame on them, and I'm sure GOG will take necessary measures to prevent that in a future sale. If it was just a matter of unfair advantage to those with fast internets or close to Poland (if that actually mattered, as some pointed out there are servers worldwide), I feel the pain of those that were at a disadvantage, and hope GOG will take necessary measures to fix that as well. Anyway, it still was a blast, so yeah, thanks, GOG.

Big thanks as well to the GOG community for making this sale even more enjoyable. Checking this huge thread was so entertaining that at times it was not really necessary to look for something else to do while enduring the keaning (kudos as well to the guys at Focus for being good sports and not taking it personally). Good laughs were had, good advice was given and taken, and good points were raised. I had never really bothered to check these forums before, but I certainly will in the near future.

Very special thanks for those giving games away or covering up for those that missed their wants, often without any expectations of personal gain, just out of sheer generosity (nothing wrong with bartering, of course, but just giving for the sake of giving is simply amazing). I was unfamiliar with community giveaways until now, I've now learned it's a common practice around here (expect me to join this glorious tradition when my wallet is a bit heavier), but still the amount of games given away in this thread was just flabbergasting. Extra special thanks for those that gave me games, when the only thing I did to deserve them was to be around. Thanks to Austrobogulator and Rawmilk[somecouplanumbersIjustforgot] for The Witcher, to Chevette for Baldur's Gate and to TH_BEI for Planescape: Torment. You guys rule, and you probably know it.

And that's pretty much it, I guess. I hope I'll see you guys around for good times and good gaming (and that my forthcoming posts will be more interesting and less corny ¬¬). Peace and geekdom!
Here is my list, I'll separate them by wants and impulse purchases:

Wants:

Riddiclk: Dark Athena - Played the original Butcher Bay back when it came out and really enjoyed it; probably the best movie port I have ever played. So I decided to grab this one on the cheap to play again with the added stuff.
Baldur's Gate 2 - complete - Been eyeing this one a while but too cheap to pay full price. $1.99 was right up my alley!
Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete - See BG2 above. Same reasoning at $3.99! you cannot beat that.
Beyond Good and Evil - Wanted this one bad but wasn't willing to shell out the $10 for it. $2.50 was reasonable to me for it.
Jade Empire: Special Edition - Love it! Played this on XBOX back in the day and beat it. Loved KOTOR (1 and 2) and this being made by same developer was right in line. Excited to have it for PC now!

Impulse Buys:

Ultima VII - Heard alot about it and it seems right up my alley so why not give it a go.
Wing Commander - Privateer : this was definitely impulse. I like space themes so this one drew m, bu I am just not sure if I want to play it yet.
King's Bounty - Crossworlds GOTY - The only reason this was impulse was because I had a version of King's bounty on Steam, but didn't think this was it. Well it turned out to be Legend, Crossworlds and Armored Princess - DOH! Well now I have it DRM-free I guess.
Rogue Legacy - Heard alot about this on the boards and it was highly rated so I said what the heck!
System Shock 2 - Another highly rated game I really hadn't thought of buying but people were all over this one as being awesome. I'm not usually into the horror genre, but I may give this one a go.
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga - Bought the 2nd so might as well have the first to start with!
Theme Hospital - Still kind of shaking my head at this one. Don't really know why I did it at this point but oh well. Pure Impulse
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition - See BG Orig explanation above.
Thief Gold - Never played thought what the hell I'll try it. Don't have 2 or 3 so this may determine whether I get those as well.

Regrets? Not getting Master of Orion 1+2, stupid, stupid, cannot believe I just ignored that one really. The more I look the more I want that game arrgghh. Probably should have gotten Dues EX and maybe Inquisitor (price point too high for me). Kind of wish I'd grabbed Defender's Quest and the Blackwell Bundle as well, but I feel I was already buying too many at this point so I was rather "choosy" when it came to games later in the sale.
Only could afford getting NWN 2 and Thief 2, I was interested in getting:

Tex Muprhy : Under A Killing Moon (never played any of the games, I´ve only read about them)
Wing Commander 4 (played WC 1 as a child on Amiga and later on PC)
Wing Commander Privateer (remember reading about it and how it looked to be an Elite game set in the WC universe, big Elite fan, later got Privateer 2)
I have No Mouth... (another game I´ve read about but someone wrote that it was similar to Beneath A Steel Sky and now this has become a title I must get=))
Alpha Centuri (been a fan of Sid since I first played Pirates)

After reading about Jack Keane in this tread that game has now become a game I probably will get in the future, just to see for myself if it´s as bad as many seems to think it is=).

To those who are planning on playing Thief, one word of advice if you play on a higher difficulty make sure to hide the bodies and if the game states that no killing is allowed it will be "game over" (save often if you´re new to this kind of game) as soon as this happens. Also on harder difficulty you are required to get more loot and to do this you´ll have to search the levels. One final tip, shadows are your best friend but once you are discovered you´ll need to get out of the AI´s field of vision for a second or two and I can tell you this, the AI is one tenacious ba**tard who will hunt you until they find and kill you if you they still have eyes on you.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by CorranHorn
Shendue: LOL, i can't believe the topic is still going on.
In a few hours I'll be home, so I'll write about what i bought myself. It's a lot of stuff, in fact. I have let myself go a little bit because of the really good prices.
Same here... Couldn't resist.
CorranHorn: To those who are planning on playing Thief, one word of advice if you play on a higher difficulty make sure to hide the bodies and if the game states that no killing is allowed it will be "game over" (save often if you´re new to this kind of game) as soon as this happens. Also on harder difficulty you are required to get more loot and to do this you´ll have to search the levels. One final tip, shadows are your best friend but once you are discovered you´ll need to get out of the AI´s field of vision for a second or two and I can tell you this, the AI is one tenacious ba**tard who will hunt you until they find and kill you if you they still have eyes on you.
Thanks for the heads up info. Since I grabbed Thief Gold I was really curious of the mechanics and such. This is good info. I appreciate it.
high rated
I must say I am going through withdrawals now that this sale has ended. For me the sale format was addictive. But it wasn't just the sale itself. Like others, I hadn't participated in the forums before now. It was great to experience a community rally around each title that appeared in the sale, sharing their favorite games, keeping lists of what has come and gone and what's to come, the trading, and of course, the giveaways.

While nothing was more frustrating to see a game title hog the spotlight for hours, it was this downtime that made the community shine the most. Today's gaming world seems obsessed with the latest AAA games and the technology that drives them and shuns a game that's over 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing some of the newer releases, but unfortunately, many of today's "pretty" games have lost something. It's simple, these older games were just more fun. This community relishes these older gems which is refreshing.

I was surprised to see how many games I missed in their initial release. Learning about these games from other members gave me interest. My initial shopping list grew leaps and bounds. I now have a library of games that will keep me busy for years with some of the best RPG titles ever produced. And I get to experience them now for the first time.

Thanks to all who dedicated their time in making this forum what it is. Also, thank you to GOG for supporting these games and giving us this forum.
foxworks: I must say I am going through withdrawals now that this sale has ended. For me the sale format was addictive. But it wasn't just the sale itself. Like others, I hadn't participated in the forums before now. It was great to experience a community rally around each title that appeared in the sale, sharing their favorite games, keeping lists of what has come and gone and what's to come, the trading, and of course, the giveaways.

While nothing was more frustrating to see a game title hog the spotlight for hours, it was this downtime that made the community shine the most. Today's gaming world seems obsessed with the latest AAA games and the technology that drives them and shuns a game that's over 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing some of the newer releases, but unfortunately, many of today's "pretty" games have lost something. It's simple, these older games were just more fun. This community relishes these older gems which is refreshing.

I was surprised to see how many games I missed in their initial release. Learning about these games from other members gave me interest. My initial shopping list grew leaps and bounds. I now have a library of games that will keep me busy for years with some of the best RPG titles ever produced. And I get to experience them now for the first time.

Thanks to all who dedicated their time in making this forum what it is. Also, thank you to GOG for supporting these games and giving us this forum.
Well said. This is how I was thinking at the time as well. Thanks to all for welcoming us older GOG'ers but new forum members! You guys and gals are awesome!
foxworks: I must say I am going through withdrawals now that this sale has ended. For me the sale format was addictive. But it wasn't just the sale itself. Like others, I hadn't participated in the forums before now. It was great to experience a community rally around each title that appeared in the sale, sharing their favorite games, keeping lists of what has come and gone and what's to come, the trading, and of course, the giveaways.

Fantastic summation! Well said and great post! :)
CorranHorn: To those who are planning on playing Thief, one word of advice if you play on a higher difficulty make sure to hide the bodies and if the game states that no killing is allowed it will be "game over" (save often if you´re new to this kind of game) as soon as this happens. Also on harder difficulty you are required to get more loot and to do this you´ll have to search the levels. One final tip, shadows are your best friend but once you are discovered you´ll need to get out of the AI´s field of vision for a second or two and I can tell you this, the AI is one tenacious ba**tard who will hunt you until they find and kill you if you they still have eyes on you.
dal4fsu: Thanks for the heads up info. Since I grabbed Thief Gold I was really curious of the mechanics and such. This is good info. I appreciate it.
Hope it helps, also if I remember correctly there is no point saving the arrows or other expendable equipment since they will be gone (not 100% sure about this though) after the mission has ended. The Gold version has bonus missions so this could confuse you if you read a guide about the original version.
Post edited November 20, 2013 by CorranHorn
Anyone has a Thunderscape they didn't want and are in a charitable mood today? Just throwing that out...

Seriously, that aside, I only bought:

Neverwinter Nights
Age of Wonders
Thief 2 Metal Age
La-Mulana
Geneforge
Theme Hospital
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Pretty damn satisfied with the collection. Had Neverwinter Nights back in '04, didn't think much about it then. Now I am addicted to it. Incredible game through and through. La-Mulana is also really awesome. Alpha Centauri pushes tactical science-fiction to the next level. Thief 2 just plain rocks. Geneforge is an incredible Indie rpg series. Except for NWN, I never tried any of the other games, and only heard of Thief 2. These were definitely great sales. I have yet to go wrong with GoG.
Been playing Jade Empire on forums recommendation, it actually is a pretty awesome game :)