It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The classic FPS is back on modern computers thanks to the efforts of GOG and Nightdive Studios! Play a game based on the cult fantasy series by Robert Jordan and set in his rich fantasy universe.
Genre: Action, RPG, Strategy
Discount: 10% off until 13th April 2022, 1 PM UTC

Want to know more about The Wheel of Time? Watch the interview with one of the game’s original creators, Glen Dahlgren, performed by kilg0re_tr0ut on his channel on 6th April, at 6 PM UTC.
Timboli: Nice addition, but I will stick to my boxed copy for now, until a more realistic price happens.
If they have fixed the ingame videos in this release, that is good enough reason to buy it.

I have the boxed version as well and played the game through, oh I don't know, 10 years ago? I recall the videos wouldn't work already back then so I had to watch the videos separately with a media player to understand what happened in the story between the levels.

I've never read the books so the game story was a bit... odd.. to me, and I felt there were some issues with the gameplay, as a FPS game. But the atmosphere of the game was quite good, I e.g. liked the level where you were supposed to avoid that certain... evil entity that seemed to slowly engulf the whole level bit by bit.

dadiddy: I had almost put it in cart despite the price. Then I saw that it only comes in English on GOG. I am sorry, but my instant-buy-will vanished. (a pity)
Yeah I also noticed it didn't come with Finnish language support, but I decided to get it anyway. Luckily I understand English.
Post edited April 07, 2022 by timppu
Great news!! I met it in a magazine at the time of its release, and I didn't get a chance to play it...but now I do!
Excellent news and perfect timing. I was getting tired of all those doom and gloom threads.
Timboli: Nice addition, but I will stick to my boxed copy for now, until a more realistic price happens.
timppu: If they have fixed the ingame videos in this release, that is good enough reason to buy it.

I have the boxed version as well and played the game through, oh I don't know, 10 years ago? I recall the videos wouldn't work already back then so I had to watch the videos separately with a media player to understand what happened in the story between the levels.

I've never read the books so the game story was a bit... odd.. to me, and I felt there were some issues with the gameplay, as a FPS game. But the atmosphere of the game was quite good, I e.g. liked the level where you were supposed to avoid that certain... evil entity that seemed to slowly engulf the whole level bit by bit.

dadiddy: I had almost put it in cart despite the price. Then I saw that it only comes in English on GOG. I am sorry, but my instant-buy-will vanished. (a pity)
timppu: Yeah I also noticed it didn't come with Finnish language support, but I decided to get it anyway. Luckily I understand English.
The videos work, the 3DFX work, the D3D mode work as well, and with the possibility for widescreen in the latter mode. There is even an alternative (more demanding) dx11 renderer available externally according to a link in PCGamingwiki site

But strangely even turning subtitles on editing an ini file, the subs are not shown. And being a single english release, well, can be a bit hard to fully understand for someone non mastering spoken english

Overall it is a solid release IMO
Just FYI. Currently the GOG version of Wheel of Time for MP has it looking at Gamespy in the INI file for servers. There are no servers there. WOTONI.COM does have servers running but two INI files must be edited to see those servers. Currently the owner of WOTONI who runs the servers is working to get them up to date as it also seems once the ini files are "updated" there is a version mismatch connecting to their servers. We are working on this issue.
low rated
Terrible game, but I'm glad it's here for completion sake. Nice surprise. This just makes me sad that we never got a decent WOT game.
Cool. Probably will pick this up. I have a soft spot for original Unreal-engine-based games.
I love being surprised when logging in. :D This is such an awesome addition to GOG's collection! Never thought I'd see this here. I still own the original disc. I remember enjoying playing this game. :) And the soundtrack is great too. Thank you, GOG / Nightdive Studios / Legend Entertainment!
Swedrami: Might want to keep an eye (or two) on this thread.
dadiddy: Thank you! This leaves the ethic question, if I support the unwanted behaviour of only offering English versions or am fine with possibly illegal language patches.

Your hint is a big help to see the whole situation and maybe I buy the Wheel of Time if a language patch becomes available. Thank you again.
You're welcome.

Carl_Sharp: Just FYI. Currently the GOG version of Wheel of Time for MP has it looking at Gamespy in the INI file for servers. There are no servers there. WOTONI.COM does have servers running but two INI files must be edited to see those servers. Currently the owner of WOTONI who runs the servers is working to get them up to date as it also seems once the ini files are "updated" there is a version mismatch connecting to their servers. We are working on this issue.
Not in for the multiplayer portion at all, personally, but nonetheless great to see people still willing to put in the effort to get it up and running (again).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6VYaIQ7xI&t=25s
Gudadantza: The videos work, the 3DFX work, the D3D mode work as well, and with the possibility for widescreen in the latter mode. There is even an alternative (more demanding) dx11 renderer available externally according to a link in PCGamingwiki site

But strangely even turning subtitles on editing an ini file, the subs are not shown. And being a single english release, well, can be a bit hard to fully understand for someone non mastering spoken english

Overall it is a solid release IMO
Thank you for your helpful posts.
I have now bought the game thanks to your information.
Gudadantza: But strangely even turning subtitles on editing an ini file, the subs are not shown. And being a single english release, well, can be a bit hard to fully understand for someone non mastering spoken english
In my childhood video games and Hollywood movies helped and encouraged me to learn English. Even my English teacher didn't know what "M.I.A." means, which I had learned from some Vietnam movies like Uncommon Valor (great movie BTW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_iseZ2kJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdNhwj29zV4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086508/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I see the same with my kids, their time on Youtube and playing some English games really seems to boost their knowledge of English, without taking a single lesson. Sure it is spotty to learn English that way, but at least it motivates one to do that.
Post edited April 07, 2022 by timppu
I've never delved into the Wheel of Time series but have been meaning to for some time now. For fans of the franchise: would I be too confused if I started with this game? I really love the graphics and art, judging by the screenshots, and it sounds like it's pretty solid as a game.
paladin181: Terrible game, but I'm glad it's here for completion sake. Nice surprise. This just makes me sad that we never got a decent WOT game.
Hah, it's one of my all time favorite fantasy FPS game ;)
Too bad there is no way for me to buy it (I asked a friend about a gift code and still waiting for his reply).

As for the "decent WOT game", well there is a chance just for that (see attached).
https://thecdm.ca/partners/industry/red-eagle-games
Attachments:
Wanted to give it a try but forgot until today.
Reminds me countless mods for UT and mission packs.

Didn't play Unreal1 - based games in more than a decade, also can't stomach FPS genre anymore beside STALKERs.
Still gonna give it a try.
Very happy to see this game here on GoG.

Unfortunately Malwarebytes tags as infected and quarantines wot.exe :(
The other thing is: I cannot get technical support for this game?
So, what to do next?