It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This sci-fi puzzle game will pose you with some inspiring questions! The Talos Principle: Gold Edition is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 90% discount that will end on 9th October 2020, 1 PM UTC. As if awakened from a deep sleep, you find yourself in a strange world of ancient ruins and advanced technology. Tasked with solving a series of increasingly complex puzzles, you must brace yourself for a mind-blowing challenge.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
EnforcerSunWoo: Well at least GOG has one principle, not baring the ones that have eroded in the last few years.
Ba dum tss!
GOG.com: ...
Great to see it here!

There is just one problem...
This game had Linux port on steam on DAY ONE:
https://steamdb.info/depot/257513/manifests/
https://steamdb.info/depot/257511/manifests/

According to widely available data the Linux port was made by original team (example of data here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Talos_Principle).

So what EXACTLY would be the reason for missing Linux port on GOG "this time"?
Explain yourself GOG. We are all ears.
Ganni1987: Nice release but....Linux (and Mac) versions are missing, not buying until Linux version is made available.
Ditto. Already own it on Steam. I really like this game, and would gladly buy it again to have it DRM free, but not until the Linux version is available.
Hope the Linux version is brought over.
low rated
why would gog bother with 4th class citizens linux users. no uses or cares about it.
eric5h5: Mac/Linux versions are also missing from the Epic store; I'm sure GOG would publish them if Croteam were not another "Mac/Linux on Steam only" developer. And they don't even have the "someone else did the ports" excuse.
Did you try asking Croteam about it? Epic store doesn't sell Linux versions, so I don't think they are relevant to this.
high rated
shmerl: Why is the Linux version missing? Not again, GOG.
Because the Linux port was subsidized by Valve.

Im gonna buy it anyway because of the good launch regional price for Argentina.
Attachments:
eric5h5: Mac/Linux versions are also missing from the Epic store; I'm sure GOG would publish them if Croteam were not another "Mac/Linux on Steam only" developer. And they don't even have the "someone else did the ports" excuse.
Thanks, didn't know that. I had got the game on my wishlist on Steam. Now I'll rather drop my plan to try it.
This situation creates some serious moral dilemma for me - kind of function error ;) because I don't want to support DRM if the game is available here, but I also don't want to support Win-only releases if Linux port is available elsewhere...
shmerl: Why is the Linux version missing? Not again, GOG.
Digital_CHE: Because the Linux port was subsidized by Valve.
Interesting. So, do they have some sort of exclusive on it? Hopefully, if so, it is time-limited? Is that information even public?

.Ra: why would gog bother with 4th class citizens linux users. no uses or cares about it.
Why would Steam be pumping so many resources into Linux support, I wonder? Clearly, they are a bunch of idiots ...

/sarcasm
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Time4Tea
ciemnogrodzianin: Thanks, didn't know that. I had got the game on my wishlist on Steam. Now I'll rather drop my plan to try it.
This situation creates some serious moral dilemma for me - kind of function error ;) because I don't want to support DRM if the game is available here, but I also don't want to support Win-only releases if Linux port is available elsewhere...
First time? /s

No, LITERALLY.

This is "THE" case for A LOT of games here.
You can either get game DRM-free on GOG but WINDOWS ONLY, OR you can get the original Linux port ON STEAM (which given Linux it means generally either "DRM-free except for files obtainment" or "can be made DRM-free by casual coding means", that's how it is in most cases [ unless it's Feral Interactive of course :P They throw pretty "Windows Defender memes"-esque gate in the way if you know what I mean ;) ]).
STEAM at least CARES about Linux...
So the dilema is actually pretty high if you care about both DRM-free and Linux...
Digital_CHE: Because the Linux port was subsidized by Valve.
I haven't heard of Valve forbidding any developers releasing games in other stores. Unless it's some kind of secret deal?
high rated
ciemnogrodzianin: But I really cannot understand lack of Linux version here. It's not yesterday's release. Why is it delayed? Or – are we actually going to get Linux port here?
No, we are not gonna have it here.
Neither "THQ Nordic" (Desperados 3), nor "Team17" (Blasphemous) bothered to bring Linux versions here; GOG allows and tolerates this kind of behavior (they probably think "No Linux == less headache").
Plus, in the light of recent developments regarding "Serious Sam 4" I doubt Croteam has anyone left to cater to Linux folks (after Alen Ladavac has left them for Stadia).
shmerl: Epic store doesn't sell Linux versions, so I don't think they are relevant to this.
I didn't realize that; they sell Mac versions though. The Talos Principle is also available on macgamestore.com, so there's clearly nothing Steam-exclusive about it.

On another subject, it's kind of too bad Sigils of Elohim isn't included and seems to be Steam-only. It's minor but still a nice little bonus.
YES!
ciemnogrodzianin: But I really cannot understand lack of Linux version here. It's not yesterday's release. Why is it delayed? Or – are we actually going to get Linux port here?
Alm888: No, we are not gonna have it here.
Neither "THQ Nordic" (Desperados 3), nor "Team17" (Blasphemous) bothered to bring Linux versions here; GOG allows and tolerates this kind of behavior (they probably think "No Linux == less headache").
Plus, in the light of recent developments regarding "Serious Sam 4" I doubt Croteam has anyone left to cater to Linux folks (after Alen Ladavac has left them for Stadia).
But it's not like it requires a ton of work on something.
Especially since it's their own engine that they use in this game (so they should known very well how it works, there is no "we don't know Unity / insert-engine-name-here enough to deal with it promptly" excuse).

We have no achievements for Linux ports on GOG. Period. Same goes for overlay.
So essentially there is close to nothing to be required to be done to release Linux port of this game here except for working on GOG Cloud FOR LINUX support.
That's about it since controller support is handled by game engine itself (there are no "GOG wrappers" for it) afaik.
So, really, releasing this port here should bo no challange.