It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The long-awaited finale to the epic RPG saga from Nihon Falcom comes to a head. Along with the largest roster of characters in the series and a polished battle system, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV is now available on GOG.COM!

Want to learn more about the company that created The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series? Read our interview with the president of Nihon Falcom.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Sheershaw: It would unironically be awesome if GOG were to get in touch with Falcom, Joyoland (the group who did the PC ports of Crossbell), and the Geofront guys and release the Crossbell games pre-patched with the fan translation on GOG. Given that these games are like 10 years old at this point, it'd actually fit with GOG's original mission of getting "good old games".

I actually already have both Zero and Azure purchased, but I'd happily buy them again just to get a GOG installer.
TZODnmr2k5: Yeah, I got 'em wishlisted over at steam, I'll most likely pull the trigger depending on just how deep a sale I can get them...
FYI the steam versions of Zero and Azure will not work the Geofront patches. They have completely different codebases, and the Geofront team started their patches long before those versions were announced.
I haven't purchased the game yet, but using alternative methods I can't see any achievements on Galaxy at the moment.
It could be a case of "invisible achievements" or they haven't been implemented yet. Can anyone confirm?
Sheershaw: Azure is a bit trickier, but here's a guide on how to legally aquire it:
https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/06/30/trails-to-azure-now-available-to-purchase-via-paypal-on-joyolands-website/
Shame. Azure's DRMed and also requires nebulous anon mega downloads. Hopefully GOG's contact with the devs can get them to consider a release here, even if it's just Japanese for fan patches.
Sheershaw: Azure is a bit trickier, but here's a guide on how to legally aquire it:
https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/06/30/trails-to-azure-now-available-to-purchase-via-paypal-on-joyolands-website/
mqstout: Shame. Azure's DRMed and also requires nebulous anon mega downloads. Hopefully GOG's contact with the devs can get them to consider a release here, even if it's just Japanese for fan patches.
Yeah. Ideally, my dream is for GOG to provide a version of the game that comes pre-patched with the translation, but if that is too legally difficult, then even having the Chinese PC version (I actually don't think there's a Japanese PC veriosn) would be great. As long as there are big disclaimers there is no english version, it shouldn't be a huge issue, right?
Post edited April 10, 2021 by Sheershaw
Alexim: I haven't purchased the game yet, but using alternative methods I can't see any achievements on Galaxy at the moment.
It could be a case of "invisible achievements" or they haven't been implemented yet. Can anyone confirm?
Achievements are most definitely in the game, and unlocking normally and visibly through play.
mqstout: Is it actually buyable directly from the company in Japanese to apply the patch, or is DRM applied such that it's not really buying?
Sheershaw: You can buy a digital download version of Zero here:
https://www.dlsite.com/soft/work/=/product_id/VJ009178.html/?locale=en_US
Oh, didn't know about this, thanks. Did Falcom have some of their titles only on the Japanese/Korean/Chinese version of DLSite? Been using English DLSite for quite a while now (basically exclusively, ever since GOG screwed their website up) and never came upon it. So in that way, the merger of the different sites definitely had some advantages (too bad the UI is now way worse). Guess I will double-dip on their PC offerings (don't care about the ports (anything newer than Zwei II basically)), so I don't have to get the physical copies out every time.
TZODnmr2k5: Yeah, I got 'em wishlisted over at steam, I'll most likely pull the trigger depending on just how deep a sale I can get them...
Sheershaw: FYI the steam versions of Zero and Azure will not work the Geofront patches. They have completely different codebases, and the Geofront team started their patches long before those versions were announced.
Thanks for the info... removing them from my steam wishlist now!
Hmmm so the azure and zero games are already out over on steam? But only the japanese version and not in english like the rest? Thats really strange.
Well if thats the case i'll wait for a gog release and hope that theres a translation mod in the time the games come to gog(a translation mid which works with the "new" version).
Really strange how this got handled.
Thanks for the info. :)
GOG hasn't released any non-English games so far; the sole exception is as extras to English games. If Azure or Zero come here, they will both have an official localization. The only question is whether NISA prioritizes the duology or Hajimari no Kiseki.
Post edited April 10, 2021 by Grargar
mqstout: Shame. Azure's DRMed and also requires nebulous anon mega downloads. Hopefully GOG's contact with the devs can get them to consider a release here, even if it's just Japanese for fan patches.
The Geofront team said that their patch will be removing the DRM from Azure.

As for waiting for fan patches to become co-opted by a publisher and then officially released: chances are that will never happen.

People in the know say that there are way too many legal quagmires associated with that, such as, the publisher would need legal permission to use them from every single person who ever worked on the translations in any way, many of whom would either say no, and/or whom are uncontactable at this point in time (since the fan translations started many years ago...and even the Geofront versions are iterations of the earlier versions, and hence would still need permission from everyone who ever contributed anything to them).

There's a very high chance that the Crossbell games will never get officially released English, for the reason I just mentioned, as well as numerous other reasons as well.

Waiting for the day that they will, that could easily result in waiting forever, and still not getting them.

By the way, in addition to all that, the Chinese/Korean versions of Zero and Azure that are on Steam are also much worse than the original versions that Geofront's patches are applied to.

Rather than do it themselves (like they should have done), Falcom hired a third party company to port those games to PS4, and that company did a horrible job with them. And the versions on Steam are merely a re-porting of those horrible ports.

And those bad ports also used the PSP console versions as their source, therefore in addition to having missing textures, graphical glitches, incorrect textures placed in the wrong spots within the games' world (i.e. brick wall textures placed on cliffsides, etc.), all of which is so only because the original porting company did really sloppy work, the graphics also are much worse in those new versions than they are in the Geofront versions.

So the the point being, even if those "remastered" (which is a very inaccurate & misleading) label for them) versions of the Crossbell games were to be released in English, then they'd still be far inferior to the Geofront versions anyway.
Post edited April 10, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Alexim: I haven't purchased the game yet, but using alternative methods I can't see any achievements on Galaxy at the moment.
TomNuke: Achievements are most definitely in the game, and unlocking normally and visibly through play.
Thank you!
Sooo I have a few questions here, regarding the "launch week"

[i]Launch Week Special: Get Special bonuses with purchase until April 16!

Digital Deluxe Edition:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV
20-track Soundtrack *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
128-page Art Book *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
24-page Mini Art Book *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Swimsuit Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Magical Girl Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Standard Costume Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Free Sample Set A
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Free Sample Set B
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Free Sample Set C

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - "Cold Steel III” Costume Bundle (Only for the owners of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)

Launch Week Only Edition:

5-track OST Sampler *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - "Cold Steel III” Costume Bundle (Only for the owners of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)[/i]

Are all the bonuses in bold still timed or can they be still gotten when purchasing the game after that time? I'm wondering this since they are part of this "launch week", but only ost and artbooks have the aforementioned timeframe.
Grargar: GOG hasn't released any non-English games so far; the sole exception is as extras to English games.
They did release the Polish-only Kajko i Kokosz last year. But it's still extremely rare.
Post edited April 10, 2021 by ConsulCaesar
Kyousuke.: Sooo I have a few questions here, regarding the "launch week"

[i]Launch Week Special: Get Special bonuses with purchase until April 16!

Digital Deluxe Edition:

20-track Soundtrack *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
128-page Art Book *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Swimsuit Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Magical Girl Bundle
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - Standard Costume Bundle

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - "Cold Steel III” Costume Bundle (Only for the owners of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)

Launch Week Only Edition:

5-track OST Sampler *Only until 4/16 10AM Pacific Time!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - "Cold Steel III” Costume Bundle (Only for the owners of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)[/i]

Are all the bonuses in bold still timed or can they be still gotten when purchasing the game after that time? I'm wondering this since they are part of this "launch week", but only ost and artbooks have the aforementioned timeframe.
I was wondering the same, and if they're not timed then I can easily wait for a sale...
ConsulCaesar: They did release the Polish-only Kajko i Kokosz last year. But it's still extremely rare.
Huh... I forgot about this damned exception...