It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The cult classic strikes back!

<span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, the beloved action/arcade game set between Episode V and Episode VI, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Who among us hasn't dreamt of being offered a spot in the venerable Rogue Squadron? And when Han Solo himself is the one approaching you to ask for help against the Empire, it's hard to refuse, even if you are the hard-as-nails smuggler Dash Rendar.

The fight will take Rendar, his co-pilot droid Leebo, and his trusty spaceship The Outrider through iconic locations where Star Wars™ history was made. Whether he is taking down AT-ATs on Hoth, fighting off assassins sent after Luke Skywalker, or dueling Boba Fett, the adventures of Dash evoke that unmistakable Star Wars™ vibe that quickly turned him into a fan favorite. Because once you've experienced the varied gameplay and atmospheric cutscenes telling the story of Dash's struggle against the villainous Prince Xizor, you can't help but feel that his exploits are a significant part of the epic saga.

Join the daring Dash Render as he helps the Rebellion escape <span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% discount will last until May 9th, 12:59 PM UTC.
Tarhiel: Uuh, I have suspected there still might be some SW games which haven´t made it yet to GOG (Yoda Stories? I know it is bad :)).
Glad to see this one made it here.
Wishlisted till the salary arrives.
I'm still waiting for Episode I Racer! :P
Tarhiel: Uuh, I have suspected there still might be some SW games which haven´t made it yet to GOG (Yoda Stories? I know it is bad :)).
Glad to see this one made it here.
Wishlisted till the salary arrives.
IronArcturus: I'm still waiting for Episode I Racer! :P
Yeah looking forward for Ep 1 Racer too
also Ep 1 Battle for Naboo and Ep1 Phantom Menace

The Ep 1 games are probably the only things good that came from the prequel...
Elmofongo: So is fighting that Robot boss in the train/junkyard level easier?

As is the hoverbike part?
I haven't played this particular rendition, but having played the N64 version and the PC version when each came out, the PC version seemed crisper, with sharper controls. This boss fight had a lot of detail to it, which was appreciated (especially when you jump into one of the two cauldron-like things - the fighting area itself was actually quite small even with these). IG-88 was persistent, though I remember it running from me when I had its health down quite a bit...
korell: However, I just played through the first three levels (all of part 1 of the game) with keyboard and mouse and it was mostly fine, the only issue being the mouse forwards and backwards movement also moving the player (in third person sections of the game) forwards and backwards, but I was able to keep my mouse movement little enough in that direction for it not to really be an issue. I'm sure there's a way it can be eliminated using something like a GlovePIE script, but it would have to be a script that turns it on and off with a button press as you need that mouse direction in flight and gunner sections of the game.
IronArcturus: So I guess a controller isn't really needed for the game? Even for the parts where you fly a ship?

Also, does the game support windowed mode on Win7 by any chance?
Not needed, but definitely recommended. I have also played around with the first 3 levels of the game and II remember the problems I had with the mouse on my CD version (I thought it wasn't supported but it was). Korell is absolutely right about the mouse Y axis moving the player on the 3rd person levels and as far as I can see, it can't be disabled. If you're going to use the mouse, you have to do what korell did and try really hard to to move the mouse along its Y axis.

Using the mouse for the asteroid field level was also somewhat wonky. The targeting reticle would "bounce" around somewhat making aiming the cannons difficult. Fortunately, missiles are really easy to use so don't be afraid to unload em :)

I didn't try using keyboard and mouse for the first level but I found using my joystick wasn't as comfortable as using a joypad with my CD version of this game.

I strongly suggest you have a joypad to play this game. Mouse and Keyboard combo is doable but I don't recommend it
Post edited May 05, 2016 by IwubCheeze
IwubCheeze: Using the mouse for the asteroid field level was also somewhat wonky. The targeting reticle would "bounce" around somewhat making aiming the cannons difficult. Fortunately, missiles are really easy to use so don't be afraid to unload em :)

I didn't try using keyboard and mouse for the first level but I found using my joystick wasn't as comfortable as using a joypad with my CD version of this game.

I strongly suggest you have a joypad to play this game. Mouse and Keyboard combo is doable but I don't recommend it
But is it possible to play the game with an Xbox 360 controller without having to use a 3rd party program?
IwubCheeze: Using the mouse for the asteroid field level was also somewhat wonky. The targeting reticle would "bounce" around somewhat making aiming the cannons difficult. Fortunately, missiles are really easy to use so don't be afraid to unload em :)

IronArcturus: But is it possible to play the game with an Xbox 360 controller without having to use a 3rd party program?
I'm afraid I'm not sure about that one. All I know is I used Logitech and Saitek joypads with my CD version and they were flawless. I would assume an Xbox controller would be the same but I can't be sure. I can only hope another GOGer will be able to answer this question a little better. :(

IronArcturus: But is it possible to play the game with an Xbox 360 controller without having to use a 3rd party program?
Xbox wireless work without 3rd party apps and without any special config, in the game pause menu you can use preset mapping for 4 button controller or choose a custom mapping where you can use all the button of the controller
Elmofongo: So is fighting that Robot boss in the train/junkyard level easier?

As is the hoverbike part?
Yes it is. Played it on Medium and reattempted it twice. Honestly, had to re-do the entire junkyard train portion about 7 times in order to collect all Challenge Pts and to minimize the number of respawns to only 1. My last user-defined gamepad setup was causing some problems for me to naturally know that "y" function is for aiming and "b" function is for jumping and so most of the restarts were due to falling off the platform, had to be a bit sensitive in light-pressing LB+RB to slightly strafe left/right. I still remember the locations of the Challenge Pts.

As for IG-88 it's quite simple. There's an Invincibility booster in one of the Heating Tubes which can buy you some time if you're needing to collect any remaining Challenge Pts in the area, and Special Weapons ammo. Using the upper crossing connected with one of the two tubes should be of some use to scare IG-88 with speedy laser fire. Yep, harsh tapping. He'll fall back with sufficient laser dmg.

I think the Invincibility booster is absent on Hard and Jedi, and really did not need it despite losing a life during the boss fight, very close to getting the invincibility booster, arrgh.

<hr />

As for the Speeder Bike level, I've read the FPS increase is making it difficult to complete it. Will be interesting to see it myself once I completed Gall Spaceport mission. Noticed my character "sliding" when jumping across one path to another by the edge and when attempting to get a Challlenge Pt where 3 drones and Imperial Soldier are located.
Post edited May 05, 2016 by theonlytime
theonlytime: Noticed my character "sliding" when jumping across one path to another by the edge and when attempting to get a Challlenge Pt where 3 drones and Imperial Soldier are located.
I'm having the sliding problem in various places in Gall Spaceport. I forced vsync in my gpu which sort of helped but I still have the problem.
radigram: I tryed with DxWnd, but only get black picture. Maybe we need to test different options ...
korell: Does dgVoodoo's ddraw allow for windowed mode?
Right now I am not home, but I will try dgVoodoo and report back. Give me some hours.

Yes, works for me. I just put aim, switch weapon and reset camera on the D-Pad and in doing so got all the functions I need, as far as I can tell. Configuring it was a bit annoying since the mouse floats to the top left corner on the menu screen, at least for me, when using my wired Xbox360 controller, but in game it works just fine.
pcbl4ckw1ngz: Solid release, though I was hoping someone could make the starfield work past 800x600. Ah well. Also has anyone trying adding music to the main menu? Want the N64 menu loop in higher quality ogg.
Yeah the star field issue is annoying as hell. The overlay, 2D elements, and text are also tied to 640x480 (not even 800x600) and they don't scale at all (so they get really tiny).

I've just been playing the game at 640x480 because that seems to be the target resolution - and it feels surprisingly appropriate for the age of the game but it would have been nice if those elements weren't hard coded like they are, and actually just image files like the escape menu is... then we'd be able to fix them easier.
Post edited May 05, 2016 by dangustaargus
albertoml: A Mac wrapper would be the cherry on a very delicious Star Wars cake :)
nate1222: Agreed. I had a refurbished iMac (2009 model running Yosemite) for a couple of months back in 2015. The WineWrappers I grabbed off Paul The Tall's site were life savers for running UTGOTY, UT2004, Red Faction II, and a few others.
The game works perfectly in CrossOver 15.1. Just disable Performance Enhanced Graphics and use the Legacy X Window System.
nate1222: Agreed. I had a refurbished iMac (2009 model running Yosemite) for a couple of months back in 2015. The WineWrappers I grabbed off Paul The Tall's site were life savers for running UTGOTY, UT2004, Red Faction II, and a few others.
rampancy: The game works perfectly in CrossOver 15.1. Just disable Performance Enhanced Graphics and use the Legacy X Window System.
I found it works great under Wine -- I just need to work out how to slow it down! It runs at around 10x speed, making it just a little bit hard to play on my Linux machine. :-P
apehater: how does the gog version work, is it complete?
as if it was DVD version, with back ground and mid ground present as it should be