It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The cult classic strikes back!

<span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, the beloved action/arcade game set between Episode V and Episode VI, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Who among us hasn't dreamt of being offered a spot in the venerable Rogue Squadron? And when Han Solo himself is the one approaching you to ask for help against the Empire, it's hard to refuse, even if you are the hard-as-nails smuggler Dash Rendar.

The fight will take Rendar, his co-pilot droid Leebo, and his trusty spaceship The Outrider through iconic locations where Star Wars™ history was made. Whether he is taking down AT-ATs on Hoth, fighting off assassins sent after Luke Skywalker, or dueling Boba Fett, the adventures of Dash evoke that unmistakable Star Wars™ vibe that quickly turned him into a fan favorite. Because once you've experienced the varied gameplay and atmospheric cutscenes telling the story of Dash's struggle against the villainous Prince Xizor, you can't help but feel that his exploits are a significant part of the epic saga.

Join the daring Dash Render as he helps the Rebellion escape <span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% discount will last until May 9th, 12:59 PM UTC.
AT LAST! SotE is on GOG!!! Thank you!!!
Crowned: I can only offer my sentiments toward this, but:
All of this sounds nice :) I'll buy it, but may be at a better discount, I must still decide :P
It seems to be a good game, may be not the best, but a fun and enjoyable one !
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the game !
guppy44: Sorry for the delayed reply. I haven't been online since my initial post.
No problem, it can take some time for me too ;) (like here)
guppy44: Admittedly my main reason is nostalgia.
That is a good reason to love a game and of being enthusiast ;)
This one seems nice and enjoyable, full of good memories for a lot of people, so it deserves an attentive look :)
Post edited May 04, 2016 by Splatsch
jamyskis: Well, shiiiiiit. This would have been precisely the reason for me to pick the GOG version up, as it's been a longstanding problem with my retail copy. But if the GOG version offers no advantages over the retail version, then what's the point?
The updated version GOG uploaded today works fine for me. They included an nvidia inspector profile that gets installed with the game to limit the FPS, and on playing the first level the probe droids seem to have the correct speed and I made it through part 1 without any speed issues. I compared the probe droid bobbing speed with this video of the N64 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfJXSpAfpo
Smannesman: How's the controller support for this one?
Yeah, I want to know how well the Xbox 360 controller works. I've read in previous posts that there were some issues with buttons not working.
IronArcturus: Yeah, I want to know how well the Xbox 360 controller works. I've read in previous posts that there were some issues with buttons not working.
I'd imagine it is probably due to Xbox 360 being XInput and the game being DirectInput, so the axes and keys don't map over in a complete match. That said, others have posted about using Xpadder or Joy2Key in order to map controller buttons to keyboard buttons used by the game. Another idea might be to use XInput Plus in order to create a profile for the game that maps all of the 360 controls to keys, so those analog triggers can be used as digital buttons.

However, I just played through the first three levels (all of part 1 of the game) with keyboard and mouse and it was mostly fine, the only issue being the mouse forwards and backwards movement also moving the player (in third person sections of the game) forwards and backwards, but I was able to keep my mouse movement little enough in that direction for it not to really be an issue. I'm sure there's a way it can be eliminated using something like a GlovePIE script, but it would have to be a script that turns it on and off with a button press as you need that mouse direction in flight and gunner sections of the game.

EDIT: Oh, and bear in mind that different parts of the game (third person, flight, gunner) use different controls and the game only seems to provide some presets, it doesn't appear to allow customized controls.
Post edited May 05, 2016 by korell
korell: However, I just played through the first three levels (all of part 1 of the game) with keyboard and mouse and it was mostly fine, the only issue being the mouse forwards and backwards movement also moving the player (in third person sections of the game) forwards and backwards, but I was able to keep my mouse movement little enough in that direction for it not to really be an issue. I'm sure there's a way it can be eliminated using something like a GlovePIE script, but it would have to be a script that turns it on and off with a button press as you need that mouse direction in flight and gunner sections of the game.
So I guess a controller isn't really needed for the game? Even for the parts where you fly a ship?

Also, does the game support windowed mode on Win7 by any chance?
IronArcturus: So I guess a controller isn't really needed for the game? Even for the parts where you fly a ship?

Also, does the game support windowed mode on Win7 by any chance?
Oops, sorry, apparently there is a user customized set that you can select for the controls in each game mode, so you could then map your own keys.

Mouse control was fine for the airspeeders in the Battle of Hoth. The second level was a third person shooter. The third levels was a gunner section where your droid flies your spaceship through an asteroid field whilst you just point and click to shoot down TIE fighters and TIE bombers (and some highlighted asteroids for a bonus challenge). So for me, so far, I've not needed to connect up my Xbox 360 controller.

I'm on Win10, but the game launcher has no options for a windowed mode. It only uses Direct3D, so I guess if you want it windowed then you'd have to use a DirectDraw wrapper like D3DWindower, but then the game may not run as it might already be using a custom ddraw.dll. I did read that some people have had to use the dgVoodoo ddraw to get it running, but mine worked straight from the GOG installation.
blakstar: Well that is extremely weird then. I watched your video, and I've definitely always had fog enabled -- this is from the install before GOG made their update.
Yes, this is the original GOG installation file.

IronArcturus: Also, does the game support windowed mode on Win7 by any chance?
I tryed with DxWnd, but only get black picture. Maybe we need to test different options ...
radigram: I tryed with DxWnd, but only get black picture. Maybe we need to test different options ...
Does dgVoodoo's ddraw allow for windowed mode?
tfishell: w00t! :-D

Honestly I'm rather surprised to see this game here; I thought it had major issues on modern systems. :)

Hopefully Episode 1 Racer is in the works! (Not to mention other LucasArts/Disney games in general)
Episode 1 Racer YES PLEASE THAT TOO.
how does the gog version work, is it complete?
thefallenalchemist: Holy shit, I could never really get through this one because of the controls at the time. I can't wait to actually play through this on PC. I never expected a port, so this is very cool. If there was one N64 title that I wanted on PC, it was this one.
It was originally ported in 1997, a year after the N64 version. I still have the PC DISC ;).

Also for those that never played this game at all, beware that this game can be VERY difficult in later stages - it was even more so difficult with the N64 controller. The game also has an alternate (Expanded Universe Canon) ending if you do well and survive on the last level.

But once you master the game's sometimes frustrating controls and quirks, just beating it feels very satisfying. Its that kind of game.

And lastly for those that may find that too intimidating, I highly recommend to at least reading the Shadows of The Empire novel. I still consider it Canon even if Disney doesn't and apparently George Lucas wanted to make a freakin' movie out of it, which would have been awesome.

I recommend the following:
- Shadows of The Empire by Steve Perry (novel)
- Shadows of The Empire Graphic Novel, by John Wagner, and Steve Perry, and Dark Horse comics
- Shadows of The Empire: Evolution Sequel Graphic Novel, by Ron Randall, Tom Simmon, Steve Perry, and Dark Horse comics

Just look at these amazing covers in awe:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cYs3pS_IRg4/maxresdefault.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CxZXFqBxL.jpg

My all time favorites are: SoTE, Rogue Series, and Thrawn Series
Post edited May 05, 2016 by thehawkness
Solid release, though I was hoping someone could make the starfield work past 800x600. Ah well. Also has anyone trying adding music to the main menu? Want the N64 menu loop in higher quality ogg.
Uuh, I have suspected there still might be some SW games which haven´t made it yet to GOG (Yoda Stories? I know it is bad :)).
Glad to see this one made it here.
Wishlisted till the salary arrives.
So is fighting that Robot boss in the train/junkyard level easier?

As is the hoverbike part?