It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Classic RPG hack'n'slashin'.

<span class="bold">Revenant</span>, an astonishing and supremely fun classic aRPG, is available now on Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Revenant is here today to serve as a fun-filled throwback to how things used to be done back in the day, and a chance to truly hack it like it's 1999. There's a lot to say about Revenant, but no matter what, the keyword is always "fun". In a game all about combat - smooth controls, responsiveness, and that feeling of weight behind your every attack are all-important, and even today Revenant hits the right spots. Despite its age, the colorful backdrops holds up amazingly well and the motion-captured combat continues to surprise with its variety, over-the-top violence, and plenty of dismemberment. There's a few inventive things to be found here as well, including a magic casting system based on combining runes and talismans to uncover stunning and powerful spells that will let you spectacularly clear out rooms with a single gesture. Beyond that, Revenant is a game of loot, loot, loot, plenty of weapons, great character design and most of all... fun.

Hack away at <span class="bold">Revenant</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Oh.My.God. This is the best bloody news ever. I was wondering when there will be a working Revenant for modern PCs, since i own a original game from a magazine and it has horrible display problems, even with those suggested fixes didn't work. Thank you so much GOG!
xxxIndyxxx: EUHM is it weird that I have never heard of this? It's a diablo clone, yes?

Wishlisted.
I don't recall ever having heard of this one before either. Though date wise it was during a period of time when I was otherwise busy and didn't have a system capable of playing anything new.

But it looks fun and with so many positive responses to the release I'll have to wishlist it and give it a try later!
Post edited August 18, 2015 by BlueKronos
Fever_Discordia: I think that GOG signed this one up YEARS ago though
vicklemos: I'm guessing four years (if that's the case), according to the awesome interview I saw the other day :P
Yeah, I was hoping that this wasn't that - I thought he said 'trying to get the rights' for 4 years and it was from the 70s/80s but it could well be I guess...
Iain: Intro is there which is awesome.

However, a friendly warning.

If you are running Windows 10 (64 Bit this applies to, not tested under 32 Bit), you have to install DirectPlay first just to get it running. Once you have done this as soon as you start getting the intro movie you need to hit escape and quit to the game or it will lock your machine up at somepoint during the cinematic. Had to restart numerous times over past hour due to lock ups tinkering with different settings, works best on GOG default Win 95 compatibility setting set during the install.

It will not start for me through the Galaxy Client, I have had best sucess running directly from the Start Menu shortcut.

Secondly, it is not saving any options you set either via the games launcher or within the game.

Personally would say if you have upgraded to 10 hold off until GOG state that it is working on the new OS.
It's not working for me in Win 8.1 64 bit, either, by the way. At least not through the Galaxy Client. I'm getting ready to re-download it via a direct downloader right now. I'll see what happens.

Pax
Interesting Release. I'll wait for reviews to see if the game really works without any bugs so i wishlisted it for now.
It's working great but I forgot how bad the voice acting was. :P
Hm, nice to see a new Square Enix release. Never heard about this game though.
Very nice! Thank you for this release, been waiting for ages
Post edited August 18, 2015 by keeveek
Matewis: I remember one of these old isometric RPGs was praised for starting off extremely well, but ending very poorly (felt like the content after some point was rushed), perhaps due to some trouble the development of the game ran into. I can't remember which game it was though. It's not Revenant I'm thinking of by any chance?
Leroux: In any case it would fit the description somewhat. I remember it had the promise of an interesting story but felt ultimately disappointing in that regard because the story hardly played a role in the game and wasn't that fleshed out as a consequence. Don't expect many dialogues or even choices, it's pretty much a hack and slash action game with inventory. It's fun but can get a bit repetitive later on and IIRC it's not that long either. Unless I'm totally mistaken, it might have featured a multiplayer mode and to me the single player campaign felt more like an introduction or demo for that (it's not THAT short, but I felt it was lacking in story-telling and variety compared to its length). I still think it's worth owning and trying if you're a fan of these games, I liked it despite its shortcomings.
Hmm k from what I remember reading, it felt like the 2nd half of the game was empty or barren in some sense. For the life of me I can't remember what game it was though. Still, even if it was Revenant, I remember that I really enjoyed the demo, so I'll definitely check it out!
Was pleasantly surprised to see this front page today. I played this a bit years ago but never had the "gusto" to delve into it. The voice acting seemed a bit odd, but the gameplay was decent. Glad it's available here, will pick it up eventually.

Oh yeah, always thought the Revenant guy looked like Alice Cooper.
Post edited August 18, 2015 by djdarko
Leroux: In any case it would fit the description somewhat. I remember it had the promise of an interesting story but felt ultimately disappointing in that regard because the story hardly played a role in the game and wasn't that fleshed out as a consequence. Don't expect many dialogues or even choices, it's pretty much a hack and slash action game with inventory. It's fun but can get a bit repetitive later on and IIRC it's not that long either. Unless I'm totally mistaken, it might have featured a multiplayer mode and to me the single player campaign felt more like an introduction or demo for that (it's not THAT short, but I felt it was lacking in story-telling and variety compared to its length). I still think it's worth owning and trying if you're a fan of these games, I liked it despite its shortcomings.
Matewis: Hmm k from what I remember reading, it felt like the 2nd half of the game was empty or barren in some sense. For the life of me I can't remember what game it was though. Still, even if it was Revenant, I remember that I really enjoyed the demo, so I'll definitely check it out!
You guys may be talking about Lionheart. The second half of the game was boring and rushed. It was still fun tho.
what's the maximum resolution for the game, btw?
darthspudius: This is a good game judging by the reception.
Matewis: I remember one of these old isometric RPGs was praised for starting off extremely well, but ending very poorly (felt like the content after some point was rushed), perhaps due to some trouble the development of the game ran into. I can't remember which game it was though. It's not Revenant I'm thinking of by any chance?
mobutu: Thanks for this release!
Anybody knows what type of game this is? Is it a la diablo? or something else?
Hack n' Slash with combo attacks - though combos aren't actually mandatory. Skills improve with use rather than having to fire up a leveling menu. A lot of variety in armor, in terms of both aesthetics and power, but IF I remember correctly, aesthetically different armor sets for the same level have the exact same stats. The plot is shallow and has a bleh (by my standards at least) resolution, but I found the actual game part to be fun.

tinyE: It's working great but I forgot how bad the voice acting was. :P
Oh yeah, this too. "Camp" is the word I believe. Or maybe "cringeworthy".
Post edited August 18, 2015 by ashwald
Engerek01: You guys may be talking about Lionheart. The second half of the game was boring and rushed. It was still fun tho.
Lol yeah I wondered whether or not I should explicitly mention that I'm not talking about Lionheart. The review and mystery game I'm trying to remember is not Lionheart, but I did play the game long enough to understand what you mean. Pity, it started off so well. I remember clearing caves or something of hordes or golbins/orcs or something and picking up a wicked hammer. Then everything just kinda nosedived without warning.
Engerek01: You guys may be talking about Lionheart. The second half of the game was boring and rushed. It was still fun tho.
Me, I'm definitely talking about Revenant. ;)

(But like I said above, that description fits a lot of RPGs. Even the last chapter of Divine Divinity is an uninspired tedious slog in huge areas that feel kind of empty and boring.)
Post edited August 18, 2015 by Leroux