It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Protect me from this world of sin

<span class="bold">Requiem: Avenging Angel</span>, a fierce FPS of Biblical fun, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.

We all know that Earth is a mess and in dire need of some order but those Fallen angels just went too far. Now God must send Malachi, one of his less unruly lieutenants, to free humanity from the totalitarian regime established by the overzealous angels.

Apart from his heavy arsenal, Malachi is blessed with angelic powers that can wipe out his opponents in a number of novel, if ultra-violent, ways, like turning them into a pile of salt, frying them with fire or electricity, or convincing their blood to try and escape their body. You can charge some of those up for even more potent results but also try less direct approaches, like possessing enemies or resurrecting them to fight for you. Malachi will also employ a form of bullet-time as he marches through hellish levels, blowing up hundreds of angry minions and abusing his divine powers, so that he can walk up to those smug Fallen angels and ask them if they bleed. Because, by God, they will.

Go through Chaos and rain divine justice upon your fallen brethren as <span class="bold">Requiem: Avenging Angel</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Awesome, I've been wanting to give this game a try. Great release, GOG!
MaxFulvus: its lack of outdoor levels.
It does have a few outdoor levels, but nothing breathtaking. A few rooftops, a few city streets, but mostly indoors. And outer space.
Ten bucks for this supremely average game? My, nostalgia is a powerful drug :)
OMG, I am speachless!

trusteft: Out of curiosity, why no Windows XP?
It would be interesting to know, if this game uses DGVoodoo for working on modern systems ...
MaxFulvus: Wishlisted. I never spit on a FPS from the 90's.
Always heard of it, never played it.
Looks like Sin meets Blood : )
Sin + Blood= Angel?

How...appropriate....
JMich: Don't recall playing that many, so can't make a proper comparison. The game is linear, it is relatively fast paced, and the normal difficulty (Purgatory) was quite a step up from the easy one (Heaven). An enjoyable romp for sure, but not sure if multiple runs will be worth it.
Grargar: OK, let me make my question a bit more specific. In fact, forget about the eras. Have you played any of the following FPS?

Blood 1+2
Doom 1+2
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 1+2
Redneck Rampage
Shadow Warrior
Shogo
SiN
Unreal

Would you compare Requiem to any game from the above list? If not, were the enemies particularly spongy? Can you play it in a run-and-gun style or you'll need to usually take cover?
It's comparable to Blood 2 in terms of level design and pace. For the most part, the levels are small to medium sized and very linear. even the larger levels are so linear that their size doesn't create an "open world" feeling. You can play in a run-and-gun style, but you might want to proceed a little more carefully if you bump up the difficulty level. It is quite well paced, never boring but at the same time never overly hectic. The weapons aren't ground-breaking, but diverse enough to be fun. Furthermore, I liked the angelic powers. Given that requiem was one of the first shooters outside the star wars franchise that implemented such a skillset, I don't mind that the usefulness of the individual powers varies. for my taste, they are useful (and innovative) enough. Besides the powers, what sets Requiem apart from Blood 2 (and most other shooters of the era) is the setting, the story and the atmosphere. it is a blend of dark fantasy and dystopian sci-fi, generally more serious and darker than blood 2. while there isn't much explicit lore, what you can grasp of it implicitly is interesting and amplifies the atmosphere. all in all, it is a quite unique experience. I consider Requiem to be to truly hidden gem.
Post edited April 14, 2016 by LausNub
Late 90s FPS? YES please thank you!

Serious tones, a bit unique story/setting -wise? Double thank you!

10 bucks? Maybe 6 is better, but, either way, nice to have it here.
Post edited April 14, 2016 by drealmer7
Was trash back then, IMHO.

The engine was so bad and it certainly did not get nicer over the years. But it had a rather unique flavour for a shooter. Still it felt like trying to hop on the FPS train back then.

Maybe I was spoiled by other titles. But I got it, installed it and played it for a hour or so - never to start it again.
so compared to quake 2 or sin is this game good, bad or inbetween?
How well does the game run on Win7? Is there a windowed mode?
Post edited April 14, 2016 by IronArcturus
Yeahhhh finally,bought it!
great FPS but this is a multilanguages game, on gog only english version, i must stay on my original boxed version(with multilanguage support) , what a pity. ^ ^
IronArcturus: Is there a windowed mode?
Can't recall off the top of my head, but the mouse isn't captured to the window, thus you will encounter issues if you play on windowed mode (or with multiple monitors).
JMich: Can't recall off the top of my head, but the mouse isn't captured to the window, thus you will encounter issues if you play on windowed mode (or with multiple monitors).
Do you know what engine is used? Does it have to use 3dfx/Glide by any chance?
JMich: Can't recall off the top of my head, but the mouse isn't captured to the window, thus you will encounter issues if you play on windowed mode (or with multiple monitors).
IronArcturus: Do you know what engine is used? Does it have to use 3dfx/Glide by any chance?
No idea about the engine. Maps are in .JAM format, models in .mdl. It has both Direct3D and nGlide versions, but the D3D one suffers from broken triggers, thus GOG suggests the nGlide one.