It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Protect me from this world of sin

<span class="bold">Requiem: Avenging Angel</span>, a fierce FPS of Biblical fun, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.

We all know that Earth is a mess and in dire need of some order but those Fallen angels just went too far. Now God must send Malachi, one of his less unruly lieutenants, to free humanity from the totalitarian regime established by the overzealous angels.

Apart from his heavy arsenal, Malachi is blessed with angelic powers that can wipe out his opponents in a number of novel, if ultra-violent, ways, like turning them into a pile of salt, frying them with fire or electricity, or convincing their blood to try and escape their body. You can charge some of those up for even more potent results but also try less direct approaches, like possessing enemies or resurrecting them to fight for you. Malachi will also employ a form of bullet-time as he marches through hellish levels, blowing up hundreds of angry minions and abusing his divine powers, so that he can walk up to those smug Fallen angels and ask them if they bleed. Because, by God, they will.

Go through Chaos and rain divine justice upon your fallen brethren as <span class="bold">Requiem: Avenging Angel</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
LausNub: It's comparable to Blood 2 in terms of level design and pace. For the most part, the levels are small to medium sized and very linear. even the larger levels are so linear that their size doesn't create an "open world" feeling. You can play in a run-and-gun style, but you might want to proceed a little more carefully if you bump up the difficulty level. It is quite well paced, never boring but at the same time never overly hectic. The weapons aren't ground-breaking, but diverse enough to be fun. Furthermore, I liked the angelic powers. Given that requiem was one of the first shooters outside the star wars franchise that implemented such a skillset, I don't mind that the usefulness of the individual powers varies. for my taste, they are useful (and innovative) enough. Besides the powers, what sets Requiem apart from Blood 2 (and most other shooters of the era) is the setting, the story and the atmosphere. it is a blend of dark fantasy and dystopian sci-fi, generally more serious and darker than blood 2. while there isn't much explicit lore, what you can grasp of it implicitly is interesting and amplifies the atmosphere. all in all, it is a quite unique experience. I consider Requiem to be to truly hidden gem.
Thanks for the informative post!
I was actually thinking about it not long ago. Pretty good release, but the original was very crash prone. I'll probably buy it to test it in Wine.
JudasIscariot: Doesn't work at all in WIne 1.9.7 Staging for me.
Good to know. What Windows version did you set it to? Try Windows 98 or something. May be installing some old DX would help too? Also, please update Wine AppDB. So many recent results aren't posted there...
Post edited April 18, 2016 by shmerl
JMich: If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Grargar: What FPS from those released during the same era (late 90s, early 00s) would you mostly compare it to?
Blood 2, for being a mediocre gothic themed FPS with lots of annoying glitches.
Thanks GOG. This is very good game, I played it long time ago. I knew that we can believe in GOG ;-)
shmerl: I was actually thinking about it not long ago. Pretty good release, but the original was very crash prone. I'll probably buy it to test it in Wine.
JudasIscariot: Doesn't work at all in WIne 1.9.7 Staging for me.
shmerl: Good to know. What Windows version did you set it to? Try Windows 98 or something. May be installing some old DX would help too? Also, please update Wine AppDB. So many recent results aren't posted there...
I tried most of the end user Windows versions so 98, XP, Vista, 95 (not NT 4.0 or 2000 )

It just refused to work. I have Wine 1.9.8 (not Staging atm) and IIRC Requiem also refused to work under 1.9.8.

As for updating AppDB I would do so for my tests if they could bother to actually approve the updates a little bit faster, I've had way too many things waiting to get approved that I almost don't feel like bothering anymore.
Post edited April 21, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: As for updating AppDB I would do so for my tests if they could bother to actually approve the updates a little bit faster, I've had way too many things waiting to get approved that I almost don't feel like bothering anymore.
I'm approving them for the Witcher ;) But yeah, if you aren't the maintainer - it can take a while. Still, better to submit them. It helps the community.
Post edited April 21, 2016 by shmerl
Hello all ! I install the game, but i didnt launch this because i see this error: "Could not initialize DirectDraw. Try installing Microsoft DirectX 6.1" ... Hmmm
Help me, please
Syntrax1: Hello all ! I install the game, but i didnt launch this because i see this error: "Could not initialize DirectDraw. Try installing Microsoft DirectX 6.1" ... Hmmm
Help me, please
Sounds like you need to enable DirectPlay, as shown here.
Syntrax1: Hello all ! I install the game, but i didnt launch this because i see this error: "Could not initialize DirectDraw. Try installing Microsoft DirectX 6.1" ... Hmmm
Help me, please
Some information would be nice, what system are you using, have you installed a DirectX version. Have you enabled DirectPlay:
https://windowsreport.com/enable-directplay-windows-10/
Help me, please
nightcraw1er.488: Some information would be nice, what system are you using, have you installed a DirectX version. Have you enabled DirectPlay:
But it was turned on from the start.
Attachments:
nightcraw1er.488: Some information would be nice, what system are you using, have you installed a DirectX version. Have you enabled DirectPlay:
Syntrax1: But it was turned on from the start.
Still nothing to work with here. If directplay is enabled and you restarted after it was enabled, then maybe you are missing directx install. What I would suggest for a complete walkthrough is to put in a support request at:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/categories/201400969
You will need to provide details and a system output and they should be able to help.
nightcraw1er.488: Still nothing to work with here. If directplay is enabled and you restarted after it was enabled, then maybe you are missing directx install. What I would suggest for a complete walkthrough is to put in a support request at:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/categories/201400969
You will need to provide details and a system output and they should be able to help.
Its also worth noting that Requim has always been a very difficult game to get running alot of the time. Even back in the day from the CD. GOG's version is no different, i'll go through phases where it will run, then not run at all. Its a shame as its a great game when it works.