It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
How does GOG plan on staying relevant to any degree, if they don't even care about that last thing anymore?
In "the other place" at least I get Linux support.
For a few years now the last and only reason to come here was the DRM-free curation.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Klumpen0815
erbello: This whole situation is making me more and more worried.
I doubt that IOI can give us eg. Server Emulator DLC, or whatever, which would allow us to keep progress on localhost.
One hopes they will patch out the online requirement for escalations and such when the game's servers eventually go down, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't. The core story experience is available offline, and that might be all they care about "preserving." Similar to how it's all GOG seems to care about being DRM free. Also very few companies care about preservation anyway, it's usually left to the community.

Not defending this at all really, just saying how things are.
low rated
Screamshield: I know that some people are here just to spam and be toxic but i personally would rather be productive and get the best outcome possible.
So then, you think we should kiss posterior or shut up so the ones in charge might hopefully throw us a treat in our dog bowls?

Screamshield: Technically the game sold is DRM free....
Is that supposed to be a joke? Cuz it isn't funny, m8.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
mrkgnao: Can someone who has the Steam version explain what is the difference between GOG's version and Steam's, if any?
There are ZERO differences between steam & GoG. I don't know who thought this was a great idea. IO has been doing this since Hitman absolution. For some reason the only way they can give you a true DRM free experience is to totally omit the contracts mode. In this new Hitman game, they intertwined the online so much MORE DEEPER IN THE GAME, that they had to include it with the GOG version because 90% of the game is online. I don't know why IO is so obsessed with this style of development. They are the most stubborn devs I've ever seen. People on steam have cried for IO to drop this draconian process, since this game was released in 2016; and they then released the 2nd game with EVEN MORE online connectivity & now the third game is a epic exclusive. IO interactive is one of the worse gaming companies out there. Now we know that developers are even more evil thank the publishers. IO interactive is trash.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Sr. Chalice
high rated
Seems to me this is the result of profit-seeking and as satisfying as the "I told you so's" may be on my part and others, I genuinely feel that GOG would've still went this direction even if people had wised up to push harder against previous instances of DRM-like schemes, online requirements, etc. And, for the record, that includes multiplayer DRM which is NOT necessary, and has NO place on a DRM-free store. Games that have it should either be fixed, the modes excised, or the games themselves removed from the storefront. Just like with the locked elements of this title.

I say to hell with the corporate mentality. To hell with "games as a live service". To hell with DRM, online requirements, rental models as monopsony, defective design of any kind. And to hell with any excuses made for any of it. "That's just the way gaming is now"...no, for me, it is not. I left PC gaming for nearly a decade and a half due to being so disgusted with the "norm" of Scheme DRM. If the options are take DRM or leave it, I will leave it and encourage as many people as I can to join me in leaving it. "Live services" might as well be considered DOA to my wallet!

I couldn't care less what is going on behind the scenes to supposedly, maybe, fix this. Any remaining trust to have in GOG is essentially gone because this never should have occurred in the first place. We can contrast the Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC which also never should've been, but seemed like it was an oversight from apparently (and may I add, stupidly) not testing the offline PRIMARY installers, only Galaxy. This game now is different. There's no way imo this was anything but intentional from all parties involved. Convince me otherwise?

The issue is far beyond this release. How can we trust any new game will be actually DRM-free the way that we understand it (read: not "'DRM-free, as defined in corporate weaselspeak")? For that matter, how can we even trust updates to our existing purchased games now that devs/pubs are able to intuit GOG doesn't really seem to care if the product is DRM-free or not? We hear from user reports in other topics that it is not necessarily possible to get previous versions of offline installers from Support.

I demand a response from GOG clarifying whether or not our existing games are going to be SAFE from DRMed "improvements" in future updates. In the meantime while we wait for responses, I urge you all to keep your offline installers and vet any new updates thoroughly, for reasoning suggested in the previous paragraph. And how funny as I logged in to post this I got taken to the front page displaying "Hack and Slash week". Evidently, from DRM-man's release, "hack and slash" refers to cutting content out of games!
mrkgnao: Can someone who has the Steam version explain what is the difference between GOG's version and Steam's, if any?
Sr. Chalice: There are ZERO differences between steam & GoG. I don't know who thought this was a great idea. IO has been doing this since Hitman absolution. For some reason the only way they can give you a true DRM free experience is to totally omit the contracts mode. In this new Hitman game, they intertwined the online so much MORE DEEPER IN THE GAME, that they had to include it with the GOG version because 90% of the game is online. I don't know why IO is so obsessed with this style of development. They are the most stubborn devs I've ever seen. People in steam have cried for a chance drive this was released in 2016 and they then released the 2nd game with EVEN MORE online connectivity & now the third game a epic exclusive. IO interactive is one of the worse gaming companies out there. Now we know that developers are even more evil thank the publishers. IO interactive is trash.
Thank you for clarifying.

A follow-up question: Can the steam version be played offline (e.g. without the steam client)? I'm referring obviously only to the very limited story mode, not the online stuff.
GamezRanker: Well, like with many companies there is a chance they might falter given enough time....but for now they seem to be holding much more to the DRM-free standard than GOG is at the moment.

Do they get paid in battle net credits or origin points? o.0 ;D

====

And i'll be here waiting for my GOGnicorn to arrive:
Syphon72: Dose Zoom talk about being a DRM free store? I have never seen anything saying it. So they could turn full DRM one day. GOG knows they can't go full DRM, because that's their main selling point.

I don't think GOG will stop selling DRM free games, but this is bull selling games with single player content lock behind online DRM.
It's all over Twitter, Facebook and the website
Syphon72: The thing is dose Zoom never talk's about being a DRM free store? I have never seen anything saying it like GOG. So they could turn full DRM one day.
GamezRanker: Clip very much related
(the point is, guarantees mean next to nothing)

And yes, Zoom platform's games are DRM free.....our resident zoom staffer Link0 has more or less said that several times over by this point, and I myself can verify my purchases are DRM-free(they come in offline installers).
i know there drm free from my purchasing Zoom games. It just does not seem to be there main selling point.
Syphon72: Dose Zoom talk about being a DRM free store? I have never seen anything saying it. So they could turn full DRM one day. GOG knows they can't go full DRM, because that's their main selling point.

I don't think GOG will stop selling DRM free games, but this is bull selling games with single player content lock behind online DRM.
Linko64: It's all over Twitter, Facebook and the website
Wait I see it now. I don't use there Facebook and never seen it on the website. Happy its clear there DRM free. Thanks mate.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Syphon72
GamezRanker: Clip very much related
(the point is, guarantees mean next to nothing)

And yes, Zoom platform's games are DRM free.....our resident zoom staffer Link0 has more or less said that several times over by this point, and I myself can verify my purchases are DRM-free(they come in offline installers).
Syphon72: i know there drm free from my purchasing Zoom games. It just does not seem to be there main selling point.
Linko64: It's all over Twitter, Facebook and the website
Syphon72: What is?
''Does Zoom talk about DRM-Free store'' It's in all the comms and centre in the website :P I can't say too much with the MODS coming for a wee tap so feel free to PM
Syphon72: i know there drm free from my purchasing Zoom games. It just does not seem to be there main selling point.

What is?
Linko64: ''Does Zoom talk about DRM-Free store'' It's in all the comms and centre in the website :P I can't say too much with the MODS coming for a wee tap so feel free to PM
I edit my last post: Wait I see it now. I don't use there Facebook and never seen it on the website. Happy its clear there DRM free. Thanks mate.

Edit again: I bought a couple game's from Zoom, not sure how I missed it. haha
Linko64: ''Does Zoom talk about DRM-Free store'' It's in all the comms and centre in the website :P I can't say too much with the MODS coming for a wee tap so feel free to PM
Syphon72: I edit my last post: Wait I see it now. I don't use there Facebook and never seen it on the website. Happy its clear there DRM free. Thanks mate.
Nee bother mate <3
low rated
mrkgnao: A follow-up question: Can the steam version be played offline (e.g. without the steam client)? I'm referring obviously only to the very limited story mode, not the online stuff.
For what it's worth I still have Hitman 3 installed and it requires the Epic client running to launch. Assuming it's the same for Hitman 1, on Steam, then the GOG version is in that sense "DRM free" for the core story mode while the other versions are not.

Again though the issue here is that core story mode is such a small portion of the experience, compared to a game like Absolution.
GamezRanker: Didn't you hear? In typical fashion, GOG is sending such memes to everyone with a card that says "sorry" in lieu of actually getting Hitman GOTY fixed.

I joke.....I found it on the bot hive that is google. :)
(also it fits perfectly with the current situation as well, seeing as GOG seems to think this game is DRM free and all)
Screamshield: Technically the game sold is DRM free but it is missing functionality compared to the DMR version due to parts of the original game being linked with the online IOI servers. So unless you're here just to troll, you should try and be factually correct. I know that some people are here just to spam and be toxic but i personally would rather be productive and get the best outcome possible. Hopefully IOI or GOG comes up with a solution for this so i can buy a fully DRM free Hitman in a few months for Christmas.
Why is post rated low?
low rated
Syphon72: Why is his rating low? He's not wrong.
I have "fans" here who use bots to low rate everything I post(they also do it to a small number of others).
Same advice I give everyone else? Just ignore it and enjoy/focus on the content of people's posts. :)
high rated
Plain and simple: This is unacceptable, GOG.com. You´re betraying the sole reason for your excistence. This is a sad day for this platform.